Wonderful Copenhagen

Also I will be in Copenhagen in June 2014 and it seems a lot of the hotels I have tried to book are already full. Anne

Hotels do not normally release their inventory online until 6-9 mths out sometime earlier it is not just CPH

They appear full when looking online but usually are not ..you can email the hotel to ask if they have space for the dates you want

Of course they could be due to some special events like the music festival ;)

I have also been watching for June openings & see more hotels listed now than a month ago

We (six of us) will be arriving in Copenhagen next week and will be taking a taxi from the airport to our hotel in central city.

I understand that you can reserve in advance, pre-pay and that the taxi will meet you as you exit customs and you can avoid lines.

1) Has anyone done this? Good idea or bad?

2) Which taxi company would you recommend?

Thanks

Bill

Hotels do not normally release their inventory online until 6-9 mths out sometime earlier it is not just CPH

They appear full when looking online but usually are not ..you can email the hotel to ask if they have space for the dates you want

Of course they could be due to some special events like the music festival ;)

I have also been watching for June openings & see more hotels listed now than a month ago

Thanks LHT28. I have free cancellation on my booking so I think I will hold it until I see if one of my preferred hotels becomes available. We are on the Royal Princess in June 2014. What about you?

Thanks LHT28. I have free cancellation on my booking so I think I will hold it until I see if one of my preferred hotels becomes available. We are on the Royal Princess in June 2014. What about you?

arrive on Oceania Marina June 2014

have a good cruise

We (six of us) will be arriving in Copenhagen next week and will be taking a taxi from the airport to our hotel in central city.

I understand that you can reserve in advance, pre-pay and that the taxi will meet you as you exit customs and you can avoid lines.

1) Has anyone done this? Good idea or bad?

2) Which taxi company would you recommend?

Thanks

Bill

In my experience the prebooked cars are very expensive.

A taxi is cheaper and the taxi rank is situated on your right hand when you exit the baggage claim area.

Danish Viking I have just found this thread and am amazed at the time and effort you put into helping all of us visitors to you city. It is truly appreciated. Before finding your thread I had booked my hotel the Hotel du Nord as I thought it would be good to be close to Tivoli. Also I will be in Copenhagen in June 2014 and it seems a lot of the hotels I have tried to book are already full. My question - do you know the Hotel du Nord and would you recommend it or the area in which it is located. Sorry if this has already been asked and answered as I am just working my way through all 55 pages. I am able to cancel my booking and would like to do that soon if I have not chosen wisely. Thanks for your help. Anne

The reviews on Tripadviser is rather good but there are a few remark to crowded breakfast buffet, the hotel is a bit run down and that it is located in Red Light´ish district (strip clubs and a few prostitutes at night).

But these are minor subject and the later has nothing to do wuth the hotel at all.

http://www.tripadvisor.dk/Hotel_Review-g189541-d232093-Reviews-Hotel_Du_Nord_Copenhagen-Copenhagen_Zealand.html#mtreview_168015191

But what dates are you in town because it sound wierd that hotels are already full by now.

Edited by Danish viking

Hi

We dock at Langelinie and was wondering if there is anywhere near by to get DKK? Is it possible to use euros anywhere in Copenhagen?

Also is there anywhere near the dock to get a public transport day ticket.

We will try to walk as much as possible but if we get too tired may need to use a bus to get back to port.

My plan is to walk past the Little Mermaid to Amalienbourg then Nyhavn for a canal boat and then to Stroget, do think this is possible to do, we have from 8.00 to 5.00? Also what bus/metro to get from Stroget back to Langelinie?

Lots of questions, sorry:o

Hi

We dock at Langelinie and was wondering if there is anywhere near by to get DKK? Is it possible to use euros anywhere in Copenhagen?

Also is there anywhere near the dock to get a public transport day ticket.

We will try to walk as much as possible but if we get too tired may need to use a bus to get back to port.

My plan is to walk past the Little Mermaid to Amalienbourg then Nyhavn for a canal boat and then to Stroget, do think this is possible to do, we have from 8.00 to 5.00? Also what bus/metro to get from Stroget back to Langelinie?

Lots of questions, sorry:o

You have to walk to Østerport station to get the 24 hour city pass.

https://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Langelinie+All%C3%A9,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=%C3%98sterport+st,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.696128,12.594774&spn=0.007365,0.01929&sll=55.695168,12.593279&sspn=0.007365,0.01929&geocode=FWblUQMd6ULAAClpJbYJ3VJSRjE_T-yaL8rkaw%3BFdPQUQMdVxjAACndd6q64VJSRjFTBZ7usitaWw&oq=%C3%B8sterport&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&z=16

From Strøget you take bus 26 back the pier at the Indiakaj bus stop (also the destination of the bus) from Kongens Nytorv.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Buslinje/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9014200002610000&stop_gid=9025200000001357

Mondays to Friday you have to take the B departures.

Edited by Danish viking

The reviews on Tripadviser is rather good but there are a few remark to crowded breakfast buffet, the hotel is a bit run down and that it is located in Red Light´ish district (strip clubs and a few prostitutes at night).

But these are minor subject and the later has nothing to do wuth the hotel at all.

http://www.tripadvisor.dk/Hotel_Review-g189541-d232093-Reviews-Hotel_Du_Nord_Copenhagen-Copenhagen_Zealand.html#mtreview_168015191

But what dates are you in town because it sound wierd that hotels are already full by now.

Thanks Danish Viking. I think it may just have been the website I was using. I have found that the Clarion Mayfair is available on other sites and I have now changed my booking to this hotel. The reviews sound good. We are in Copenhagen on 1st to 3rd June next year. Thanks for your help. Anne

Thanks for your reply.

We will be in Copenhagen on a Sunday, will there be any shops open on a Sunday on Strøget? Also does this mean that the bus will run less often and is it still bus 26?

Most shops will have open.

You have to look at the søndag/Sunday schedule.

You can use all departures in the weekend.

The timetable wrongfully says that it isn´t stopping at Indiakaj (note A) but that is a mistake.

If you look here you can see why its wrong.

http://www.rejseplanen.dk/bin/traininfo.exe/mn/470538/161591/453824/70066/86?seqnr=2&ident=om.0314421.1375570744&ml=m&date=04.08.13&station_evaId=1357&station_type=dep&journeyStartIdx=25&journeyEndIdx=34&suppressBlockedStops=yes&pageViewMode=PRINT&

The cruise list for 2014 has been updated.

There are so far 335 arrivals, a little bit lower than usual but there are many months until the new season starts so new ships can still be booked.

There are only 2 christmas cruises booked but in my memory there is usual around 5-8 calls in december.

What most people should take notice off is that many ships have been rebooked from the freeport terminals pier C245, C254 and C266 and to the new pier C330.

http://www.cmport.com/ships-in-port/cruise-ships/cruise-list-2013

So in short the problematic (to some) C266 is not used next year.

The piers in use next year are

C177 = Nordre Toldbod

C190 = Langeliniekaj

C245 = Sundkaj

C265 = Orientkaj

C330 = Cruise Terminal.

The new cruise pier hasn´t got a name yet but on a map you can find it on the tip of Oceanvej next to the UNICEF Suply devision Oceanvej 10-12, 2100 København Ø.

A bold guess from my side would be that the name would be Oceankaj.

Edited by Danish viking

So we are arriving in Copenhagen August 7th in the late afternoon and leaving the next day at 6Pm on Emerald Princess x 11 nights for Baltic and Russia. On the 7th we are staying at the Marriott and hope to walk to City Hall, down the Stroget and to Nyhavn and catch a canal boat tour before dark.

On the 8th we will do whatever we didn't get to do on the 7th and are doing a free Newport walking tour starting near the University from 11-1Pm.

If we have time we may stop at the Danish Jewish Museum or Carlsberg Glytotek before boarding our ship.

My question is: First is that reasonable to do in 1 1/2 days and the day we return at 0600 Monday, August 19th, is there anything open besides Tivoli and Christiania for us to do until 12noon? ( We have a 3:30PM flight) It appears that all of the museums are closed on Monday. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We are dropping our luggage at the Hotel Alexander, across from City hall as people we know will be staying there and taking the cruise that we just finished. Thank you in advance.

So we are arriving in Copenhagen August 7th in the late afternoon and leaving the next day at 6Pm on Emerald Princess x 11 nights for Baltic and Russia. On the 7th we are staying at the Marriott and hope to walk to City Hall, down the Stroget and to Nyhavn and catch a canal boat tour before dark.

On the 8th we will do whatever we didn't get to do on the 7th and are doing a free Newport walking tour starting near the University from 11-1Pm.

If we have time we may stop at the Danish Jewish Museum or Carlsberg Glytotek before boarding our ship.

My question is: First is that reasonable to do in 1 1/2 days

depends on how you handle jet lag everyone is different

You can certainly walk to City Hall & the Stroget & Nyhaven

I think there is a canal tour near the hotel maybe DV can commnet on that

My question is: First is that reasonable to do in 1 1/2 days and the day we return at 0600 Monday, August 19th, is there anything open besides Tivoli and Christiania for us to do until 12noon? ( We have a 3:30PM flight) It appears that all of the museums are closed on Monday. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We are dropping our luggage at the Hotel Alexander, across from City hall as people we know will be staying there and taking the cruise that we just finished. Thank you in advance.

Only looking at the schedule it looks doable but as noted before me it depend on how you handle the jet lag.

And yes most museums are closed on Mondays, The zoo and The Blue Planet (national aquarium) are open.

both places opens at 10:00.

@Sydney24--we are also staying at the mayfair clarion. care to share a cab to the port? labonnevivante at verizon dot net

Thanks Danish Viking. I think it may just have been the website I was using. I have found that the Clarion Mayfair is available on other sites and I have now changed my booking to this hotel. The reviews sound good. We are in Copenhagen on 1st to 3rd June next year. Thanks for your help. Anne

@Sydney24--we are also staying at the mayfair clarion. care to share a cab to the port? labonnevivante at verizon dot net

Chellie, Hi. We are on the Royal Princess on 3 June 2014. I have started a roll call and would love you to join us there. Anne

I am interested in taking the Copenhagen Metro, just to experience it as I had heard it was new and innovative - no human driver and all automated.

Would taking the Metro from Kongens Nytorv and going 1 stop to Norreport give me that underground experience? Should I go a few stops instead (not sure if going outside of the old city will mean multiple zones) and would I be able to easily return back in the direction I came (or do I have to leave the station and re-enter through another area?

Or is the Kongens Nytorv stop an open area where I can just enter and see the station and the metro train, take pictures, and just leave without having to go through turnstiles?

Back to my first question about going 1 stop to Norreport with a 2 zone single ride ticket. Does validating the ticket allow me to transfer to a regular bus or 11A city bus within the hour that the ticket allows without revalidating? IF I purchase a klippecard, may i put multiple persons on the same card? Just validate 3 times? Clip 2x for each person?

Finally, may I purchase a bus ticket or city pass at the tourist info kiosks when I leave the ship? I know I can purchase a single ticket from the driver but don't think I can purchase a klippecard or a travel card from the driver, correct?

Thanks for your help and any suggestions you may have.

I am interested in taking the Copenhagen Metro, just to experience it as I had heard it was new and innovative - no human driver and all automated.

Would taking the Metro from Kongens Nytorv and going 1 stop to Norreport give me that underground experience? Should I go a few stops instead (not sure if going outside of the old city will mean multiple zones) and would I be able to easily return back in the direction I came (or do I have to leave the station and re-enter through another area?

Or is the Kongens Nytorv stop an open area where I can just enter and see the station and the metro train, take pictures, and just leave without having to go through turnstiles?

Back to my first question about going 1 stop to Norreport with a 2 zone single ride ticket. Does validating the ticket allow me to transfer to a regular bus or 11A city bus within the hour that the ticket allows without revalidating? IF I purchase a klippecard, may i put multiple persons on the same card? Just validate 3 times? Clip 2x for each person?

Finally, may I purchase a bus ticket or city pass at the tourist info kiosks when I leave the ship? I know I can purchase a single ticket from the driver but don't think I can purchase a klippecard or a travel card from the driver, correct?

Thanks for your help and any suggestions you may have.

The trip between Nørreport and is entirely underground and is covered by a single ticket (2 zone ticket).

For the same ticket you can also take the metro towards Vestamager where the metro runs overground after Islands Brygge and here you can see some world class architecture by Danish company BIG (Bjarke Ingels Group) including VM Bjerget (The VM Mountain) and the 8-tallet building.

Other buildings are the Koncerthuset (concert hall) designet by Jean Nouvel,the new Copenhagen Arena that just has started construction, so is a office tower designed by Sir Norman Foster.

The Bella Sky hotel is among the most leaning towers or something like that and they have a cocktailbar at the top floor at one of the towers.

And yes the ticket is valid for one hour and the trip from Kongens Nytorv to Vestamager takes 13-14 minutes so you can see that as well.

And there is no turnstiles at the station.

If you purchase a 2 zone klippekort its just like a discount coupon.

You have the 10 single trips at a discount (15 DKK per trip instead of 24 DKK), one stamp is equal to one trip so if you are 2 persons you stamp it 2 times and isv then is valid for 2 persons on 1 hour.

Just like the single 2 zone ticket (there is no 1 zone ticket) you can use it on all transport options like harbour bus, busses, metro, S-train and commuter trains (regional, Øresunds and Intercity trains).

The only ticket you can get at the bus is a single ticket, from 2 to 9 (all zones) the 24 hour travel card, City Pass and Klippekort can be purchased at the nearest train station at either Nordhavn (for pier C245, C254, C330) or Østerport (Pier C177 and C190)

The trip between Nørreport and is entirely underground and is covered by a single ticket (2 zone ticket).

For the same ticket you can also take the metro towards Vestamager where the metro runs overground after Islands Brygge and here you can see some world class architecture by Danish company BIG (Bjarke Ingels Group) including VM Bjerget (The VM Mountain) and the 8-tallet building.

The only ticket you can get at the bus is a single ticket, from 2 to 9 (all zones) the 24 hour travel card, City Pass and Klippekort can be purchased at the nearest train station at either Nordhavn (for pier C245, C254, C330) or Østerport (Pier C177 and C190)

Wow, lots to consider. Thank you for the suggestion. BIG designs amazing and innovative buildings for living. I wonder what the purchase level is to live in the VM.

Anyway, just to confirm: so I would take the M2 towards Vestamager and a round trip to/from Kongens Nytorv will be about 30 minutes, correct? If I go to the end (Vestamager) do I need to get off that train and board a different train on another platform for the return trip or will the same train I am on will return to Kongens Nytorv (similar to a monorail that comes into a station and then goes right back out?) I should purchase a single ride, 2 zone ticket from the Metro stop via a machine which will take either cash or cc, and will need to validate it prior to boarding the metro.

Side question: Ship berths at C190. Do you know if the path to the east of Kastellet accessible directly from that berth and walkable? And can enter Kastellet (to see the Little Mermaid) from that direction? Though the map has the path ending midway, does it extend all the way to the Esplenade?

The ticket is validated from the start if you purchase it from a ticketmachine.

You can just sit in the train and it will continue back to central Copenhagen.

Regarding the Kastellet fortress, there is full access to the park area and by the harbour side and you can as far as i recall also pass the street by the military buildings.

So in short yes you can walk past Kastellet to Esplanaden.