Wonderful Copenhagen

Just a quick comment.....

From the airport, we took the train to downtown. We had lots of suitcases since we were boarding ship in a few days for a 28 day Baltic cruise. When

we got off the train, we couldn't believe the elevator to the street was under a major repair. I carried a suitcase up the stairs, with my husband staying downstairs. We weren't really sure what to do. Leave the suitcase at the top of the stairs or leave suitcases at the bottom of the stairs and make a few trips up and down. While we were just standing looking at each other, a few

guys came up to my husband just started helping him carry the suitcases up the stairs.

Needless to say, we will always remember how they helped us. We still talk about this incident and always say Copenhagen has the kindest people of any city we have travelled.

Just wanted to share with you.

Danish Viking, I asked yesterday about how many Krona I would need to pay the taxi, but instead of cash do your taxis take credit cards? If so I'm assuming it's safe. I also read that the porters at the cruise terminal cannot except tips (money) could you confirm? We always tip the porters, they do such a great job and all that heavy lifting, I'm sure this can't be true.

Oh sorry I missed that one, a minivan will probably cost between 400 and 500 depending on the route and traffic.

But they do accept credit cards.

Regarding tips, its not mandatory either in the taxi, at the cruise terminal or anywhere else, but if you feel for it then why not.

Danish Viking, I asked yesterday about how many Krona I would need to pay the taxi, but instead of cash do your taxis take credit cards? If so I'm assuming it's safe. I also read that the porters at the cruise terminal cannot except tips (money) could you confirm? We always tip the porters, they do such a great job and all that heavy lifting, I'm sure this can't be true.

We didn't exchange any Krone at all since the taxi does take credit card. At the port, we had a teenager boy help us as a porter. My husband tip him with some US Dollars bill since we figure out he must be a student doing summer jobs. That boy was so happy. He kept on thank me and my husband. What a polite young man! I think it's really up to each person if you want to tip or not.

Just back and yes all the cabs we rode in took credit cards. It was about $60 USD from the airport to The Square hotel and then from the Square to the cruise terminal I want to say was $40 or $50. I would have to look at the credit card receipt.

I don't recall tipping anyone though but we did carry Krone with us at all times for street vendors and such. The only time we had an issue was when we were trying to buy train tickets and we didn't have coins nor a credit card that was chip and pin. Luckily 7-11 sells train tickets and they are located everywhere it seemed.

Hi Danish Viking,

This is a thank you note to you. We just return from a disappointing transatlantic cruise in which Belfast, Iceland and Greenland were cancelled. Our group of 10 said that the high-light of this tour is the precruise stay at Copenhagen. With our 5-days Copenhagen Pass we went to so many places. I must say that your palaces are well kept and interesting. Your directions are precise and we didn't get lost. The places to eat are good. We would not have guess that the food in Travoli can be good and eat there if you had not mention eating there. Thanks again.

I am really not the best at conversion so I thought I'd ask here. How many US dollars do you suggest we convert at the airport for a 1 day stay in Copenhagen? We have already paid for the hotel which includes breakfast. I'm thinking of a Burger King type place for a meal and a 7-11 type store for 6 bottles of Coca Cola to take on the ship. Also, do the hotels (Marriott) have vendors or tour guides available for sightseeing?

Thank You

Hi Danish Viking,

This is a thank you note to you. We just return from a disappointing transatlantic cruise in which Belfast, Iceland and Greenland were cancelled. Our group of 10 said that the high-light of this tour is the precruise stay at Copenhagen. With our 5-days Copenhagen Pass we went to so many places. I must say that your palaces are well kept and interesting. Your directions are precise and we didn't get lost. The places to eat are good. We would not have guess that the food in Travoli can be good and eat there if you had not mention eating there. Thanks again.

Noooo, was the cancellations weather related?

But good to hear about your stay in Copenhagen.

Did you went for Frederiksborg or Kronborg castle and if yes was my travel directions easy to follow.

I am really not the best at conversion so I thought I'd ask here. How many US dollars do you suggest we convert at the airport for a 1 day stay in Copenhagen? We have already paid for the hotel which includes breakfast. I'm thinking of a Burger King type place for a meal and a 7-11 type store for 6 bottles of Coca Cola to take on the ship. Also, do the hotels (Marriott) have vendors or tour guides available for sightseeing?

Thank You

A meal at Burgerking is around 70-80 DKK.

But don't buy your soft drinks at 7-Eleven, its way to expensive.

Instead find a fakta/Netto/superbrugsen/Aldi/Lidl supermarket instead.

I am happy to help you locate one but I'm writing on my mobile phone but later today or tomorrow (danish time :-D ) I will give some directions.

I am really not the best at conversion so I thought I'd ask here. How many US dollars do you suggest we convert at the airport for a 1 day stay in Copenhagen? We have already paid for the hotel which includes breakfast.

I'm thinking of a Burger King type place for a meal and a 7-11 type store for 6 bottles of Coca Cola to take on the ship. Also, do the hotels (Marriott) have vendors or tour guides available for sightseeing?

Thank You

For fast food places like Burger King and Pizzerias etc you don't really need cashas you can pay with your credit card.

The same goes for buying soft drinks in supermarkets.

Though you'd probably need cash for public restrooms or if you want to buy an ice cream from an ice cream stand/kiosk and etc...

Noooo, was the cancellations weather related?

But good to hear about your stay in Copenhagen.

Did you went for Frederiksborg or Kronborg castle and if yes was my travel directions easy to follow.

Yes to both castles and love it especially we got a nice guide for Kronborg with all the stories. You directions were great since I printed them out and follow them exactly. A boring 6 days at sea with rough sea and missing Belfast, Iceland and Greenland due to bad weather.

Angela

Hi Danish Viking, Im visiting in june on a cruise for one day from 9 - 5 we have 2 children who will be 8 & 5 and we were going to go to Tivoli gardens. Do you think we have enough time and what would be the best transport for this we will be coming into c190, would the hoho or the number 26 I think it is be better. thanks

Hi Danish Viking, Im visiting in june on a cruise for one day from 9 - 5 we have 2 children who will be 8 & 5 and we were going to go to Tivoli gardens. Do you think we have enough time and what would be the best transport for this we will be coming into c190, would the hoho or the number 26 I think it is be better. thanks

Bus 26 will get you directly from Langelinie to Tivoli as is way cheaper than the Ho/Ho bus.

24 DKK oneway for an adult and the childrens travel for free.

The bus goes every 20th minute from here.

https://maps.google.dk/maps?q=Indiakaj,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.695206,12.598489&spn=0.000984,0.002411&sll=55.446756,12.166495&sspn=0.253527,0.617294&oq=indiakaj&t=h&hnear=Indiakaj,+2100+K%C3%B8benhavn,+K%C3%B8benhavn+%C3%98&z=19&iwloc=lyrftr:unknown,0x465252de6ee8856f:0xeb0e221fb2acd1be,,

Remember to take the bus back to Indiakaj and not Førgehavn Nord/UNICEF.

Thank You

Go to Fakta at Islands Brygge, its way cheaper than 7-Eleven.

https://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Copenhagen+Marriott+Hotel,+Kalvebod+Brygge,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Fakta+Islands+Brygge,+Njalsgade+13,+2300+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&sll=55.670712,12.581148&sspn=0.015756,0.038581&geocode=FSNwUQMdA9u_ACG4dC_hcp1J3CnxybSfbFNSRjG4dC_hcp1J3A%3BFX5oUQMd5-6_ACnBvfFZalNSRjG6X05g3rX0Hg&oq=marriott&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&z=16

• 2 weeks later...

Is there enough to do for 2 days in Copenhagen? We were there 8 years ago for business ,and 2 years ago we did a canal ride there on a Baltic cruise We are going to do a cruise in Aug, and thought of coming in 2 days before The ship leaves on a Aug 27, Wed . Where to stay ? what to do ? how far from the pier ? any hotel shuttles / THANKS

I could suggest things to do so a week wouldn't be enough.

First of all tell me what you want to do and see.

I only think that it is Crowne Plaza that offers hotel shuttle.

But normally a taxi is the same price as dedicated shuttles.

Regarding the hotel, the best option is to choose a hotel located in the downtown area.

Is there enough to do for 2 days in Copenhagen? We were there 8 years ago for business ' date='and 2 years ago we did a canal ride there on a Baltic cruise We are going to do a cruise in Aug, and thought of coming in 2 days before The ship leaves on a Aug 27, Wed . Where to stay ? what to do ? how far from the pier ? any hotel shuttles / THANKS[/quote']

Last year we had two days in Copenhagen prior to our Baltic cruise and 2 days after. Loved it! I think I read every post of Danish Viking while planning our visit. We were lucky that our Danish friend was available one of the days and she took us out of the city to her home and we rode the train back, but the rest of the time we were on our own. Our hotel was around the corner from Nyhavn and we walked and walked the beautiful city. The last day we bought 24 hour passes for the hoho canal boat. We took cabs from the airport to the hotel, to and from the ship and back to the airport. We bought Kroners at a bank in the airport. Many places take Euros, but not dollars. Enjoy your stay!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

We are not museum people.

Well the castles could fit under the museum moniker :D

Tivoli

http://www.tivoli.dk/en/

The worlds oldest amusement park Bakken could be fun to visit.

http://www.tivoli.dk/en/

The Deergarden where Bakken is located.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A6gersborg_Dyrehave

Copenhagen Zoo

http://uk.zoo.dk/VisitZoo.aspx

Den Blå Planet aquarium.

http://www.denblaaplanet.dk/en/

Christiania freetown

http://www.christiania.org/

The open air museum

http://natmus.dk/en/frilandsmuseet/frilandsmuseet/

You have tried the canal tour but its always a good trip.

Dear Danish Viking, are you still accepting and reading messages for advice? If so, any idea where Royal Princess will dock for May 12, 2014 sailing out of Copenhagen?

Can you tell us the best/least expensive way to get from CPH Airport to the ship? On May 12, we land at 7:15am and the ship leaves at 6:00pm so we have some time to see some of your beautiful city in between. We're not opposed to doing a lot of walking--especially if we can first go to the ship and drop our luggage off. Perhaps there will be something most interesting to see near the ship?

Kind regards for being such a great ambassador! And please pardon me if you've already answered this question...I'm excited about just discovering your site and will read more in depth.

Edited by 50by50

I saw where the Marathon will be May 18, 2014 in Copenhagen . :eek:

We are flying in that day so we have decided to stay at a hotel near the airport since the Marathon loops through downtown. Our cruise is the 19th. At last year's marathon, they had 10,000 runners. I have posted this on my roll call for the May19th NCL Baltics cruise.