What to wear on plane and sail away

oojeanie

I leave next week for a 4 day Carnival cruise out of Jacksonville to the Bahamas. I am leaving from Chicago. I am trying to figure out what to wear on the plane. Jeans? Khakis? A black sweater... white sweater... black stretch blazer? A T-shirt or tank top? I want to wear something I might wear again if chilly at night. Ballet flats or gym shoes? (I am leaning towards flats). People have suggested a sweat suit but that is not my style. If anyone has pictures of what they wore I would love to see them!

I always wear a good pair of black slacks on the airplane. I usually wear a short sleeve jersey/shell with a cardigan or casual zip front chico's sort of travelers jacket. The jacket can be rolled in a ball and stuffed in my carryon when we arrive in Florida and yet is a great layering piece to make me look 'finished' yet comfortable for travel. I never take a chance on not having a good pair of black slacks so that I can count on them if our suitcases don't arrive for some reason. I can always pick up some tops along the way if I have to..... with the good slacks, I then have outfits. For shoes, I either wear a nice flat or slip on mule/open back shoe which is easy to slip off/on for security.

I leave next week for a 4 day Carnival cruise out of Jacksonville to the Bahamas. I am leaving from Chicago. I am trying to figure out what to wear on the plane. Jeans? Khakis? A black sweater... white sweater... black stretch blazer? A T-shirt or tank top? I want to wear something I might wear again if chilly at night. Ballet flats or gym shoes? (I am leaning towards flats). People have suggested a sweat suit but that is not my style. If anyone has pictures of what they wore I would love to see them!

I don't have photos of what I wear on the plane, but in general it's a pair of Dark wash or Black jeans, camisole and/or top, Black cashmere sweater, shawl and coat/jacket. I like comfy Aerosoles heels but comfortable ballet flats sound like a great idea. I've worn blazers in the past for the pockets, but now if I need them I rather wear a vest with pockets under the sweater. I think the main thing is to wear natural fibers/materials and layers. It's hard to go wrong with that.

I always wear a good pair of black slacks on the airplane. It usually wear a short sleeve jersey/shell with a cardigan or casual zip front chico's sort of travelers jacket. The jacket can be rolled in a ball and stuffed in my carryon when we arrive in Florida and yet is a great layering piece to make me look 'finished' yet comfortable for travel. I never take a chance on not having a good pair of black slacks so that I can count on them if our suitcases don't arrive for some reason. I can always pick up some tops along the way if I have to..... with the good slacks, I then have outfits.

My black slacks remind me of going to work. :) I have a pair of black cotton pants but they wrinkle easy and I planned to wear them on the way home so that won't work. I am searching my closet now.

I generally wear dark pants, a tee and some sort of wrap or sweater and walking shoes (flats are in carry-on). Also have at least one more top and change of undies in carry-on.

OP - Ross has been getting in some nice black slacks the past week or two.....Jones NY, Briggs, etc. in fabrics that travel well. If there's one close, you might check it.

I think I'm going to wear my navy knit dressy yoga type pants (they are from weekenders-now jockey and they are seriously the comfiest pants I have ever owned!!!!) . I will most likely wear a cute tank top with a three quarter sleeve navy cardigan. Probably my running shoes as well so they don't take up too much room in suitcase.

For sail away I am not sure yet, probably capris or shorts and a cute top

35 days until we fly, 37 days until sail away!!!!!!!!! Yippee:))))

Hi,:) I live here and we are in a very funky weathern pattern at the

moment.:eek: Today it was 80! But tomorrow night it is supposed to go

into the 30s and tomorrow the high is supposed to be about 60.

We have not had much a winter at all and I would suggest checking

weather.com before you leave Chicago.

Have a great cruise:D

My black slacks remind me of going to work. :) I have a pair of black cotton pants but they wrinkle easy and I planned to wear them on the way home so that won't work. I am searching my closet now.

Ahhh, the joys of no longer going to work everyday. :) But 'I get it'. ;)

I can't live without my basic black pants. If I have them, I can go most anywhere as it's easier to find tops than a well fitting pant..... for me. :o

Check the weather forecast for Jacksonville a day before you leave....sooner, and it's not accurate. If it's forecasted to be hot...dress for summer. If it will be under 70, then wear the cooler weather attire.

We always arrive in the port city a day prior...so I wear my bathing suit under my shorts/slacks/ sundress....whatever, so I can hit the pool straightaway!

You don't need to "dress up" at all!

Some of those pants/zip up matching jacket sets are coming back. I wore them 15+ years ago and felt neat in them. The last few Neiman's catalogs had one or two sets and they look very much like what we used to enjoy wearing.

What is old is new again.... :)

Thanks for all your replies. I found a pair of trendy black skinny ankle pants that happen to match a casual suit jacket I have. They are both a stretchy material. I will wear a hot pink top underneath so I will look summery when I take the jacket off. I will wear bronze ballet flats so I can run if I am late!

Cute! Love the idea of bronze flats, that's a fresh take on flats I may have to steal!

Just wondering if I could get away without sneakers....I want to walk on the walking deck...but hate to luge those heavy shoes! Glad you picked flats!

Terry

Cute! Love the idea of bronze flats, that's a fresh take on flats I may have to steal!

Just wondering if I could get away without sneakers....I want to walk on the walking deck...but hate to luge those heavy shoes! Glad you picked flats!

Terry

I am leaving my gymshoes at home. If I want to walk on the track I can wear my flip flops. I don't plan on working out on my vacation!

I am wearing dark finish jeans, a short sleeved v neckshirt (it's knit) a 3/4 sleeve nicer sweater, and matching scarf. I am wearing slip on booties also. When I get to Florida, I plan to take the scarf and/or sweater off, and then I can put on sandals as well. I will be flying into Orlando. The scarf and sweater will keep me comfy on the plane. The booties I like because there are no ties or zippers. It is easier in the airport. Also, it is more fitting for where I am flying from...cold Syracuse!

Both times we've sailed, it was in late Oct. It was already in the upper 30's low 40's here in Indiana. I left my jacket in the car but wore dressy type skinny black yoga pants, a cami with a White V-neck sweater overtop. I also wore slip on sandals with a touch of a heel. I was then able to wear the black yoga pants again on the ship, they are so versatile to dress up or down. I actually did not plan on wearing the V-neck sweater again on the ship but some of the venues ended up being cold in the evening, so I'm glad I brought it along and have/will continue to bring it along on future cruises.

I love capris and have one in about every color imaginable. So, depending on the weather at sail-away, they are usually what I wear.

One time I wore a skirt ---- lesson learned. Skirts and the wind on the ship is not a good mix.

When flying, the key is to be comfortable. In addition, I like to wear an outfit that is easy to go through security in. Slip on sandals, and a layered top along with my yoga pants work very well.

I fly a lot and one thing that I have learned to do is to carry a pair of black silk Isotoner ballet slippers in my carry-on bag. If I have heels on, I slip them off and wear the comfy slippers on the plane. When we land, I just change back into my shoes. JC Penny sells them for around the $15-$16 dollar range and I have found that stores like Kohl's and Macy's they go from $21-$30. They are my favorite brand of slippers as they wear well and are super comfy. Here is a pick of the style that I like. http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/handbags-accessories/shops/new-arrivals/isotoner-satin-ballerina-slippers/prod.jump?ppId=pp5002190231&catId=cat100590175&deptId=dept20000018&N=209&topDim=Brand&topDimvalue=isotoner&dimCombo=Brand%7C&dimComboVal=isotoner%7C&currentDim=Brand&currentDimVal=isotoner The black is very forgiving.

:)

We're flying in the day before, I'll be wearing black yoga pants, a tank top with a long-sleeve crew neck shirt layered over the top, a pashmina as a scarf, a jersey blazer, and a pair of toms shoes. The pashmina is basically my non-negotiable flying item as I use it as a pillow and a blanket, depending.

For sailaway I'm planning on wearing some bermuda shorts with a red top and gladiator sandals. I'll have a white sarong tucked into my bag so that if my stuff doesn't arrive on board in time for dinner I can tie it up as a skirt for dinner.

Tell me about the Toms's....do you love them? I bought two pairs for my granddaughter for Christmas, she just Loves them. I was so impressed with all the fabric choices and am thinking they might be good for walking excursions too. What is your experience?

They sound perfect for flying....

Terry

Tell me about the Toms's....do you love them? I bought two pairs for my granddaughter for Christmas, she just Loves them. I was so impressed with all the fabric choices and am thinking they might be good for walking excursions too. What is your experience?

They sound perfect for flying....

Terry

I think they are absolutely perfect. I bought mine for my wedding to change into so that I'd be comfortable dancing and now I wear them all the time.

The fabric is very breathable so they don't get "gross" like lots of other flats can. They do stretch out so you want to order them a half size down from your regular size.

I will say that I tend to prefer a minimalist shoe that closely mimics a "walking barefoot" experience, so for people who need lots and lots of support in their shoes, I'm not sure that the adjustment to Toms will be an easy one. I find them comfortable because they are minmalist and mold to your specific foot, so there's that.

Archived