Gratuities

Eggy13

We do not believe in "blanket" tipping. We will tip generously when we feel it is warranted. Australians are a generous lot overall. I would much rather give a tip personally to whomever I feel has deserved it. Perhaps if the American cruise lines paid their staff a decent wage, then there would not be the necessity for automatic tipping. We will be requesting that the automatic gratuity charge is not added to our account. I am greatly looking forward to our cruise on Solstice.

We do not believe in "blanket" tipping. We will tip generously when we feel it is warranted. Australians are a generous lot overall. I would much rather give a tip personally to whomever I feel has deserved it. Perhaps if the American cruise lines paid their staff a decent wage, then there would not be the necessity for automatic tipping. We will be requesting that the automatic gratuity charge is not added to our account. I am greatly looking forward to our cruise on Solstice.

You are obviouly free to handle the tipping as you see fit. However, if I were going to Australia, I wouldn't knowingly do something which is contrary to Australian culture. As they say, "When in Rome, do as the Romans".

You are obviouly free to handle the tipping as you see fit. However, if I were going to Australia, I wouldn't knowingly do something which is contrary to Australian culture. As they say, "When in Rome, do as the Romans".

You are totally correct. The stiffers often engage in euphemisms to justify their stiffing the staff.

I always struggle with this when traveling overseas. I do get a little offended when people think we Australians are "stingy" because we don't tip. One day they will realise that it is something we have to very conciously work through because our tipping culture is very different - just like others make cultural missteps when they visit us here in Oz.

I have read all the tipping threads on here but am still confused - not sure what I am going to end up doing to be honest. I will probably end up paying the daily rate and only give extra if I feel it warranted by the level of service.

Starting to wonder how pricey this holiday is going to be! Every time i turn around there is yet another cost add on that wasn't in the brochure!

I believe you can fill out a form at the Pursers desk when you board requesting that gratuities are not automatically added to your account. Our gratuities would total an extra $276 for the cruise; a minor amount you might say, but I would much rather decide to whom I am giving a gratuity. If I was a lowly paid cabin steward and had gone over and above my duty for the guests, how happy I would be to receive an extra $276!

If my gratuities are automatically added to my account, how do I know who has received my hard earned money?

Another question: why is there is a 15% surcharge on beverages? It seems very excessive.

I love cruising; this is not my first cruise. When I booked our cruise on Celebrity Solstice, I was unaware about compulsory tipping. I do not object to paying for an extra service, but I do object to a compulsory extra fee, especially when it is not mentioned up front. I will quite willingly tip someone who has given exceptional service. You may not be aware, but there are many cruise lines who do not adopt this attitude regarding gratuities. I am greatly looking forward to our first cruise with this particular cruise company.

Sorry you were surprised but please don't punish the hard working crew. They will be doing their best to give you a memorable vacation. There are those you will interact with directly and more behind the scenes. Tip extra for extraordinary service but please reconsider any decision about withholding the service charge which will go to these hardworking men and women

I have never entered into the tipping debate before because they get so nasty and personal - and people will never agree, so why bother :).

BUT, I was just thinking about this matter and I believe that as Aussies are not a part of a tipping culture we do get it wrong. Some of us don't think to tip (because we're not used to it) but those who do seem to significantly over-tip (again because we're not used to it).

In Australia it would generally be considered an insult to tip someone $1, and I know that I feel embarrassed about tipping someone a small amount like that when I travel - so I think I tend to over-tip for simple tasks. I think many Aussies are the same, so its a shame that we get a bad rap when it comes to tipping. Our smallest note is $5 (we have a coin for $1 and $2) and I would feel like a scab handing over a coin!

I believe you can fill out a form at the Pursers desk when you board requesting that gratuities are not automatically added to your account. Our gratuities would total an extra $276 for the cruise; a minor amount you might say, but I would much rather decide to whom I am giving a gratuity. If I was a lowly paid cabin steward and had gone over and above my duty for the guests, how happy I would be to receive an extra $276!

If my gratuities are automatically added to my account, how do I know who has received my hard earned money?

Another question: why is there is a 15% surcharge on beverages? It seems very excessive.

If you go to the Celebrity web site they spell out who exactly gets the tips. Your cabin attendent is not getting the $276. Also the 15% drink surcharge is standard in the industry.

I believe you can fill out a form at the Pursers desk when you board requesting that gratuities are not automatically added to your account ...

... I would much rather decide to whom I am giving a gratuity...

... If my gratuities are automatically added to my account, how do I know who has received my hard earned money?

As I understand it, if you remove the automatic gratuities, any cash you give to a crew member has to be turned in and pooled with other crew members. So, despite your intentions, it seems you will effectively be doing the same thing as if you'd kept the automatic gratuities. Or possibly worse, depending on when you have it removed, as it could be reported back as a service issue and reflect poorly on your cabin steward, waiters, et al (yes, as has been pointed out, that $276 doesn't all go to one person).

As I understand it, if you remove the automatic gratuities, any cash you give to a crew member has to be turned in and pooled with other crew members. So, despite your intentions, it seems you will effectively be doing the same thing as if you'd kept the automatic gratuities. Or possibly worse, depending on when you have it removed, as it could be reported back as a service issue and reflect poorly on your cabin steward, waiters, et al (yes, as has been pointed out, that $276 doesn't all go to one person).

Not true on Celebrity except for the Select dining area...

When Eclipse was deployed to England the first year, they did the 15% gratuity on drinks however there were numerous complaints. The following year they just raised the prices of the gratuity to cover the tip.. Perhaps Celebrity will do this on the Australian cruises after they get all the complaints. I would think that if this continues you are going to have some very unhappy employees so Celebrity will need to take some action. These people aren't going to want to work if their not getting paid.

I love cruising; this is not my first cruise. When I booked our cruise on Celebrity Solstice, I was unaware about compulsory tipping. I do not object to paying for an extra service, but I do object to a compulsory extra fee, especially when it is not mentioned up front. I will quite willingly tip someone who has given exceptional service. You may not be aware, but there are many cruise lines who do not adopt this attitude regarding gratuities. I am greatly looking forward to our first cruise with this particular cruise company.

I think if you do research on a cruise, it is mentioned upfront, its in all the brochures and on the web site.

You are totally correct. The stiffers often engage in euphemisms to justify their stiffing the staff.

When in Rome, you will most likely have a separate service charge added to your check, and sitting down to drink your coffee costs extra. We've never even considered trying to have that removed, though I do remember one American "gentleman" raising a ruckus, demanding an explanation.

And, yes, we still tip extra for good service. No one has been offended by a 1 or 2 euro coin.

Not true on Celebrity except for the Select dining area...

Ah, my bad. Thanks for the heads-up.

To the OP (well, not the OP of the thread, but the poster 'clareanastasia' who brought this thread back to life), perhaps it would help (or maybe not, but worth a try) to look at this charge as the portion of your cruise fare that goes towards paying the staff who serve you. Yes, in a perfect world these nice and hard-working people would be generously paid by their employer. But such is not the case. There are a variety of reasons for this, not the least of which are tax implications that, if included in the original fare would result in you paying more overall than if kept separate. Apparently. No, this is not a new topic, but as the brand expands globally, these questions can and do arise.

If you go to the spa or the hairdresser they will automatically add tips to the bill. No need for cash for that.

If you go on a shore excursion, many people tip the guide, and the bus driver. Some don't.

If you order room service, many people give the server a dollar or two, or more if it's a large order, in cash. Unless the meal is delivered by your butler (suites) or your own room steward.

If you are staying in a suite and order room service, you don't tip the butler?

Archived