Public Service Announcement re: location of your bread plate

San_Antonio_Ex

maybe carnival should give a table etiquette seminar on the first day. the thing that amazes me is how many adults still grip their forks with a fist as though they were a two year old, and those that saw through their meat. or those that eat their fried chicken with a knife and fork and push it all over their plate, yes proper etiquette says you can eat fried chicken with your fingers.

but the very worst is those in the buffet who are absolutely starving and fill their plates to overflowing and carry it around like a frisbee. i'm just waiting for the day that someone tilts their's to starboard and drops it down my back.

http://www.emilypost.com/table-manners-sub-menu/formal-place-setting

This thread is hilarious. OP I understand why you posted this because someone did not know which bread plate was theirs and set something on yours.

I personally would never set anything on a plate except food so whether I knew it was yours or mine wouldn't really make a difference.

What I find hilarious is the other comments on etiquette and "formal" dining. Well I really hate to be the breaker of bad news to those that have issues with elbows on the table, how to hold your knife and fork "properly" etc. Yes the diningroom is set up fancy, however it is not like the "ritz" where only certain classes of people attend. It is the only sit down dining venue on a ship of 1000s of passengers from different walks of life who may never have been to any sit down dinners out, aside from their local applebees.

Things like don't speak with your mouth full, or chew with your mouth open are very common manners. But which fork is the correct one to eat your salad with, sorry to say are not.

If you wish a more upscale experience, IMO don't choose a ship that the average person can afford to sail on. Because you are going to run across people that do not know that they are not suppose to stir their coffee with the back end of their fork.

This thread is hilarious. OP I understand why you posted this because someone did not know which bread plate was theirs and set something on yours.

I personally would never set anything on a plate except food so whether I knew it was yours or mine wouldn't really make a difference.

What I find hilarious is the other comments on etiquette and "formal" dining. Well I really hate to be the breaker of bad news to those that have issues with elbows on the table, how to hold your knife and fork "properly" etc. Yes the diningroom is set up fancy, however it is not like the "ritz" where only certain classes of people attend. It is the only sit down dining venue on a ship of 1000s of passengers from different walks of life who may never have been to any sit down dinners out, aside from their local applebees.

Things like don't speak with your mouth full, or chew with your mouth open are very common manners. But which fork is the correct one to eat your salad with, sorry to say are not.

If you wish a more upscale experience, IMO don't choose a ship that the average person can afford to sail on. Because you are going to run across people that do not know that they are not suppose to stir their coffee with the back end of their fork.

It's also funny reading those that emphatically state they don't notice what others are wearing, are watching how others are holding their forks.

I learned a long time ago there was no book that educated people how to hold their pens and pencils, their chop sticks, or their utensils, as there really is no "right" way to make it work better. And certainly the rules change when someone is of the opposite hand persuasion, right down to those that have lost their dexterity and mobility.

Where is Eppie Lederer when you need her?

It's also funny reading those that emphatically state they don't notice what others are wearing, are watching how others are holding their forks.

I learned a long time ago there was no book that educated people how to hold their pens and pencils, their chop sticks, or their utensils, as there really is no "right" way to make it work better. And certainly the rules change when someone is of the opposite hand persuasion, right down to those that have lost their dexterity and mobility.

Where is Eppie Lederer when you need her?

we all have etiquette pet peeves whether its slurping the last bits of a drink through a straw or shoveling your food into ones mouth with their head's 2" above their plates. that kind of stuff done at your elbow can be a real turn-off at dinner. and i didn't know ann landers gave table etiquette advise, always thought it was emily post.

Well as much as I think this whole thread is a hoot, I am very very glad I chose YTD. The thought of someone watching my every move to make sure my knife and fork are layed properly when I am finished my meal is just a tad creepy to me.

I actually am disappointed that 3 of us now get us a 4 top, when 2 of us used to get an 8 to 10 top. Meeting others including all their baggage makes our meal interesting. And we have rarely been disappointed.

I actually am disappointed that 3 of us now get us a 4 top, when 2 of us used to get an 8 to 10 top. Meeting others including all their baggage makes our meal interesting. And we have rarely been disappointed.

I can't agree more! I love sitting with people from other places and backgrounds and am very disappointed when seated with just my own traveling companions. These last two cruises we sat at a table for 10 filled with all women on the first cruise (four from Florida, mother and daughter from New Jersey, me from Missouri and my friend from Wyoming; and on the second cruise, we had a table for 10 with: two couples from Georgia, two male friends from Canada (they might have been a couple but they didn't advertise it), two sisters from New York, my friend from Wyoming and myself from Missouri. We had the best time!!!

I'm not asking that people know how to eat properly at a State Dinner or when dining with the Queen, just that people follow basic manners that most people learned as a child. My original post was because of the germs that are transmitted to my plate when someone else puts their personal belongings on it.

On my last trip, we had charger plates, but some of my table mates wondered why they were there.

Yeah, we had that at our table as well. :) People were using them as a "bread plate" and put their bread and butter on it after the bread was served. This caused a bit of a jam when the waiter brought the appetizer, but he just went ahead a set the appetizer next to the bread and kind of pushed it out of the way. :D

Ick! The thought of placing a purse or card on a plate on the table is simply gross - right plate or not.

Ah - yeah! Anything other than food, glasses, utensils and plates does not belong on the table - unless of course, you brought me a bottle of wine or some flowers! :cool: But please don't put them on my plates.

Make a circle with your thumb and pointer fingers, the side that makes a "b" is your bread plate (left) ...the side that makes a "d" is your drink (right)

Great info. I just sat at my desk at work doing this and my boss caught me doing it. Luckily, she already knows that I am special. :p

On my last trip, we had charger plates, but some of my table mates wondered why they were there.

Reminds of a very elegant restaurant we go to in Bermuda (Four Ways Inn). They used to offer a finger bowl at the end of the meal - with a flower floating in it for the ladies, a slice of lemon for the men. The last time we were there, we didn't get them. I asked the waiter what happened. He said too many people thought they were cold soup :)

Reminds of a very elegant restaurant we go to in Bermuda (Four Ways Inn). They used to offer a finger bowl at the end of the meal - with a flower floating in it for the ladies, a slice of lemon for the men. The last time we were there, we didn't get them. I asked the waiter what happened. He said too many people thought they were cold soup :)

I wish, instead of doing away with the niceties of life, they would just take the time to educate people. ;)

I wish, instead of doing away with the niceties of life, they would just take the time to educate people. ;)

Would be nice, but I'm not holding out much hope. If a really fine restaurant can't fight the tide, I don't think Carnival will even try. :cool: Elegance is going the way of the dodo bird. Don't get me wrong, I like to be comfortable, but sometimes it's just nice to be elegant as well. I often wonder if the pendulum will ever swing back.

Make a circle with your thumb and pointer fingers, the side that makes a "b" is your bread plate (left) ...the side that makes a "d" is your drink (right)

Wow, thanks! Great trick. I'll definitely remember that.

I agree that chewing with your mouth closed, not talking with a mouthful of food, etc. should be common manners. I think the nastiest thing I've seen in the MDR was an adult at our table apparently didn't like what they tasted and spit it out on their dinner plate with a loud "blahhhh!" I was stunned!

On my recent Princess cruise, on formal night, I was seated next to a woman who took my bread plate and put it in the center of her place setting when the waiter took her charger and and salad plate. I had to tell her it was mine.

There is a series of etiquette videos on YouTube that take you through a formal dinner explaining place settings, silverware, glassware, napkins, and all the do's and don'ts.

One thing I noticed on my two recent cruises, Princess brings you a seafood fork with your shrimp cocktail, and Carnival does not. On our first Carnival cruises, there were 12 pieces of silverware at my place setting, not anymore,and people are still confused.

Who puts their handbag on a bread plate? I mean ANY bread plate, not just their neighbor's? That's just odd.

With the possible exception of an evening bag on elegant night, who takes a handbag into the MDR?

Oops, see I didn't read the entire thread before posting.

With the possible exception of an evening bag on elegant night, who takes a handbag into the MDR?

Oops, see I didn't read the entire thread before posting.

Not me, my sail and sign card goes in the bra. It is hilarious when I have to pull it out to give to the bar waiter for my drinks. LOLOLOL.

It happened more than once on each cruise and we had assigned seating!!:eek: :rolleyes:

Another reason I prefer not to have assigned seating . I don't want someone not in my travel party to do or say something while I'm having my meal.

On my recent Princess cruise, on formal night, I was seated next to a woman who took my bread plate and put it in the center of her place setting when the waiter took her charger and and salad plate. I had to tell her it was mine.

There is a series of etiquette videos on YouTube that take you through a formal dinner explaining place settings, silverware, glassware, napkins, and all the do's and don'ts.

One thing I noticed on my two recent cruises, Princess brings you a seafood fork with your shrimp cocktail, and Carnival does not. On our first Carnival cruises, there were 12 pieces of silverware at my place setting, not anymore,and people are still confused.

Call me unsophisticated, but I only need one fork, one spoon, one butter knife, and one steak knife. I ignore everything else. The same fork works just fine for me for shrimp, salad, dinner, and dessert. :)

Call me unsophisticated, but I only need one fork, one spoon, one butter knife, and one steak knife. I ignore everything else. The same fork works just fine for me for shrimp, salad, dinner, and dessert. :)

I couldn't help but giggle at this post :p

Archived