The Ma'am's Star Western Caribbean Review with Pictures!

medicalma'am

Thanks so much for the great review! I am slowly working my way through - just finished up pg 5. But it is great stress relief - study cardiac meds, look at pictures of the ocean and food, then back to studying. I finish my RN in May and take the NCLEX this summer.

Love the reviews, such great help in planning our big family trip. And darling granddaughters!

Mommaof 3 - I did that 5 years ago! The studying never stops. I work for the State of Texas and at work they have us ALWAYS taking classes and testing! I am talking an hour long head to toe assessment on someone, not forgetting two things (or you fail), and written tests. Talk about STRESS!

I am feeling for you!

Ladies, I enjoyed reading your cruise experiences from different points of view! We were on the Star the week after Thanksgiving and enjoyed this itenerary immensely!

I am happy to see you captured a picture of the wonderful Vincent who was working the Star bar during your trip. He took care of the 4 of us at the upper level outdoor bar during our week. He spent so much time doing magic tricks for his "friends" and told us about his time working for NCL. He typically learns 225 names of his "friends" each week and uses their names every time he sees them! To the best of his "friends" he gives a handmade friendship bracelet. I thought I saw at least one of them on the Mom of the darkhaired Grand-daughter (sorry, I can't remember their names!) Am I correct?!?! People like Vincent are a huge part of the success story of NCL.

Mommaof 3 - I did that 5 years ago! The studying never stops. I work for the State of Texas and at work they have us ALWAYS taking classes and testing! I am talking an hour long head to toe assessment on someone' date=' not forgetting two things (or you fail), and written tests. Talk about STRESS! [/size']

I am feeling for you!

So you went back as a non-traditional student too? This is my post-stay-at-home mom plan! I actually really love it, and love learning, but it's tougher that I would have ever thought. I cannot imagine supervising anyone, much less that many lpns. The ones Ive met know so much more than I and are so undervalued, at least here, not sure if that is true countrywide. Hopefully I'll feel more competent one day! :o I had every intention of working in mother & baby until this semester, but really love the cardiac floor more than I would've thought.

I did have a question - noticed you all did a lot of the specialty restaurants. Why was that? I don't consider myself to be a gourmet at all, but I am a good cook, so I appreciate good food but it doesn't need to be this/that/and the other. We were planning on a dinner or two to celebrate my graduation (late) and my son's (early), but weren't planning extra beyond that. We have a 2 bedroom family suite reserved,so we'll already have access to Cagney's for breakfast and lunch.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by mommaof 3

That's a good question. Why do we enjoy the specialty restaurants so much? We just do. I imagine it's really the better service and of course the good food. We ate at Le Bistro twice this trip and last! And, we like to try different, new things. Liked Moderno this trip. It was worth the expense to have the experience of all those different wonderfully-prepared meats. I also loved the salad bar at Moderno; it was different than most salad bars. But don't waste too many calories on salad; save lots of room for the meats, even if you only take a bite or two of each. Oh, and the little round roll thingies they serve are to dye for.

Yes, we did all get bracelets from Vincent! His sister makes them. A special friend, Vincent. Remembers our names and what we like to drink.

How did you manage to attach pictures with your review? I tried using 'attachment' option, however it keeps on saying attachment failed. did you reduce the size of your pictures for this review?

Bluestar01, it's easiest if you upload your pictures to an online photo sharing site. I started out with Flickr, but they changed their terms in the middle of my review, and I ended up having to change. I ended up using and loving PhotoBucket. Somewhere in this review I posted my problems, and someone guided me through the process. I can't remember the exact steps at this time, but it was easy once you got the rythm going, and I can find that post for you if you need.

mommaof3, I'll tell you why we ate at Le Bistro twice: I LOVE French food! I lived there for a year many years ago, and had a favorite bistro I'd go to for French Onion Soup, and NCL's Le Bistro's French Onion Soup is the closest to it I've ever had. Then there's the escargot, the mushroom soup, and the fillet mignon! And Screenma'am's right, we wanted to check out Moderno after reading so much about it here on CC.

Yes, realcindylouwho, Vincent gave us all bracelets. DH and I are still wearing ours! I didn't hear it from Vincent, but remember once hearing that you make a wish, tie them on, and wear them 24-7 until the threads tying them together wear through. Then your wish comes true. Not only did Vincent remember all our names, but what we liked to drink, and would get them for us when we walked into the bar! Then when our "free bar" hour was about up, he would bring us one in a to-go cup! At one point, I had to slow down the flow, & tell him No, not yet to another drink!

Both Vincent and the bartender, who I'm ashamed to say I don't remember his name, were wonderful to the two Granddaughters, too. That went a long way with us Grandmas!

mommaof3, I am lost when people say they're on page something or another, as I only have two pages of the review! I set up my preferences to view the maximum number of posts on a page so I don't have to spend a lot of time going from one page to another. I also have the my view set up to see the most recent post at the top of the page, so when I go to posts, I just hit Control End to get to the first post, then work my way to the top of the page.

I am so pleased so many of you are liking our review style and pictures. We heard ourselves referred to "the Ma'ams" on the ship a couple of times, so decided to run with it! I always like the reviews when others on the same sailing or itinerary chime in on a review; it adds interest. That being said, if there are others from our sailing that would like to chime in, please feel free to do so!

And yes, I remember that I promised to upload videos to Youtube and put the links on here. I just have not had the time & opportunity to get onto DH's computer to do this. We are going through installing a new water heater, furnace and A/C, and refinancing our mortgage, so have been busy!

I promise I'll do it soon, though.

Thanks for the fantastic review and awesome pictures :) Now I begin to look forward to sail on Norwegian Star for our first Baltic cruise this summer!

medicalma'am - If I understood correctly, you mentioned that your kids' SJ (Family Suite) was ready before your Suite? How does it usually work in Norwegian? In Disney Cruise Line & RCCL, regardless of Suites or regular stateroom, they will not be ready until 1:30pm. But once it is ready, all staterooms on the whole deck will become available.

Suites are always ready first before other rooms. Theirs was ready we heard from my niece, so we went up there. Ours was probably ready but we just did not get there until after that. Most all cabins are ready by 2:00 p.m.

Mommaof 3, I went back to college when my youngest started college. I always knew I would return to school and get my RN when they were grown. I was widowed when they were 7 and 3, so they were my focus of attention for a long time. It was easy great to switch gears and accomplish that goal. I love my career now.

• 4 weeks later...

Camz, thank you for the bump. Since you're wanting an update, thought I'd share a story from someone else in our group, since they don't seem to want to get on here themselves. I think it's a funny story to share.

One of our group was in one of the new suites in the front of the ship, and returning to the room with plates of food from the buffet. Hands full, it was going to be difficult to get out the room card and open the door. Along comes a ship's officer, always ready and willing to help, right? So he offered to open the door for her, and pulled out his key card that opened all room doors. She said thanks so much, and proceeded to enter the room only to find out that it was the wrong room! There sat an older gentleman, quite surprised to see her as she was to see him, and then his wife exited the bathroom after just showering, luckily draped in a towel!!!!!

Well, lots of apologies and red faces around, she managed to get out of the wrong room quickly and on to the right room. In her defense, these rooms all have names, like Ruby, Emerald, etc., and she had mistaken the name on the door for hers, which she obviously had forgotten!

Camz' date=' thank you for the bump. Since you're wanting an update, thought I'd share a story from someone else in our group, since they don't seem to want to get on here themselves. I think it's a funny story to share.

One of our group was in one of the new suites in the front of the ship, and returning to the room with plates of food from the buffet. Hands full, it was going to be difficult to get out the room card and open the door. Along comes a ship's officer, always ready and willing to help, right? So he offered to open the door for her, and pulled out his key card that opened all room doors. She said thanks so much, and proceeded to enter the room only to find out that it was the wrong room! There sat an older gentleman, quite surprised to see her as she was to see him, and then his wife exited the bathroom after just showering, luckily draped in a towel!!!!!

Well, lots of apologies and red faces around, she managed to get out of the wrong room quickly and on to the right room. In her defense, these rooms all have names, like Ruby, Emerald, etc., and she had mistaken the name on the door for hers, which she obviously had forgotten![/quote']

That is the funniest thing I have read in a long time!!!

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

Camz' date=' thank you for the bump. Since you're wanting an update, thought I'd share a story from someone else in our group, since they don't seem to want to get on here themselves. I think it's a funny story to share.

Well, lots of apologies and red faces around, she managed to get out of the wrong room quickly and on to the right room. In her defense, these rooms all have names, like Ruby, Emerald, etc., and she had mistaken the name on the door for hers, which she obviously had forgotten![/quote']

Now that's funny! :D Thank you for sharing that story with us here at CC. We really needed a good laugh around here.