The Ma'am's Star Western Caribbean Review with Pictures!

medicalma'am

We made reservations at Le Bistro for our last night to celebrate Screenma'am's and Bullit's 42nd anniversary.

IMG_9907_zpse84b6dee.jpg

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Medicalma'am said she didn't have a picture of our shared escargot, but I got one as she was digging into it.

IMG_9900_zps9cf74992.jpg

I also had the coronets of something appetizer. I wasn't hungry enough for soup; as much as I love the mushroom soup, there's no way I can eat it and an entre', too.

IMG_9898_zps7b3b90e5.jpg

I enjoyed the appetizer, but frankly don't remember too much about it. We had just come from our cocktail party, and we were having wine with dinner!

Screenma'am had the appetizer with asparagus:

IMG_9899_zps4239cc46.jpg

Then she had the entre' that also came with asparagus, which she managed to do twice on the cruise, maybe even both times in Le Bistro. Her entre' was the pork.

IMG_9902_zps43446396.jpg

I had the coq au vin, which I could not even finish half of.

IMG_9903_zps128b00f2.jpg

Edited by planma'am

Our group was seated in the Wine Cellar area of Le Bistro:

IMG_9897_zps4e7a95a2.jpg

We had a tendency to segregate ourselves by generation:

IMG_9894_zpsd808e67c.jpg

IMG_9893_zpse63176b0.jpg

We were able to enjoy the music from the piano player right next to us.

I ordered the chocolate dessert, but it was so sweet I didn't finish much of it.

IMG_9911_zps187f11fd.jpg

I did enjoy some of the Anniversary cake, and the cake from Vincent from the Star Bar.

IMG_9909_zpse5721703.jpg

We let our servers in Le Bistro know that we wanted to see the late show of Elements, and they got us finished up in time, no problem.

As said many times on CC, this is not to be missed! They allow still-no-flash shots during the show, and I took a few, not knowing if they would turn out.

I'll post them here, but they are a bit blurry, but you can see the details of the production, the extravagant sets and lighting.

IMG_9915_zps9eb713f8.jpg

IMG_9917_zpsb7d0b1d2.jpg

IMG_9917_zpsc6e1db31.jpg

Then it was to Spinnaker for Quest. Here is my one picture:

IMG_9925_zpsf25b133c.jpg

That's all for tonight; I think I've figured out the picture uploading process. We changed to Photobucket after several unsuccessful attempts with Flickr today. I can't believe it changed in the week since I last used it, but it is truly different. DH read a blog online where everyone is completely disillusioned with the changes, and we will certainly be among those jumping ship from using their site.

So it is our opinion that you should not even make any attempts to use Flickr to upload pictures if your goal is to post them here!

JMHO, nuff said.

I just have the last morning onboard to report, but I got some beautiful pictures of the last half hour or so of our trip up the Mississippi, just at sunrise, and I look forward to being able to share them here with you.

Until later, 'night!

You Ma'am's are all so impressive - what great reviews and information!! I decided to book a family suite on Deck 12 after reading the reviews and was hoping that you might have some "hints" for those suites, and also for the "suite life" in general. It's my first time and, as most people seem to be, I feel confused as to what I should or should not expect. Also, I noticed all those curtains in the Family Suites and wonder if there is a way to tie them back - are they squeaky at night or in rough seas? I thought I read where someone brought bungee cords for them - what are your thoughts?

thank you!!!

Also, I noticed all those curtains in the Family Suites and wonder if there is a way to tie them back - are they squeaky at night or in rough seas? I thought I read where someone brought bungee cords for them - what are your thoughts?

thank you!!!

We used our luggage straps to contain the drapes. Worked well (but probably won't be seen in Good Housekeeping :eek: ).

Dragongirl - I booked my kids in two of those suites and had seen pics online of those curtains being held in check with towels tied around them. I gave them bungee cords in their Christmas stockings! They had enough to tie all the curtains when needed. NO ONE complained about squeaky curtain hardware during the night, so I don't think it was a problem.

Suites in general:

Priority disembark on port days is a great advantage. In the past, we would wait in stairwells that were PACKED with those wanting to get off the ship. We just went to the Star bar, and were taken behind the bar down a crew elevator and put first in line! THAT is awesome!

Afternoon snacks in your suite is nice. We were never hungry then and would save them for a midnight snack. Next cruise DH and I will ask for the cheese tray, cookies and the chocolate strawberries. Sometimes we just got TOO much: a club sandwich and a half, cookies and canapes all in one day!!! :eek: I think they just had made too many sandwiches and someone said "Take them to the suites."

The Lavaza coffee Machine: This was the fav suite perk to me. To have that on my balcony in the morning was such a treat.

Room service: My kids ordered room service a couple of times and enjoyed that. We may do that on our next cruise if it is just DH and I, but usually had reservations in a specialty restaurant with other members of our group on this last cruise. Breakfast, and a romantic dinner in our suite from Le Bistro would be fun. Just tip the butler in accordance with the services you use.

The priority seating for the suites in the Stardust is on the balcony and I do not like to sit there, so we never used that perk.

We loved the meals at Cagney's for breakfast and lunch.

We have heard that once you cruise in suite, you will not 'go back' to a balcony or lower. Got to say, that is a possibility for us! We shall see, but our next cruise is booked in a suite!!! :D

I know you will enjoy it!

Edited by medicalma'am

Dragongirl - I booked my kids in two of those suites and had seen pics online of those curtains being held in check with towels tied around them. I gave them bungee cords in their Christmas stockings! They had enough to tie all the curtains when needed. NO ONE complained about squeaky curtain hardware during the night' date=' so I don't think it was a problem.

Suites in general:

Priority disembark on port days is a great advantage. In the past, we would wait in stairwells that were PACKED with those wanting to get off the ship. We just went to the Star bar, and were taken behind the bar down a crew elevator and put first in line! THAT is awesome!

Afternoon snacks in your suite is nice. We were never hungry then and would save them for a midnight snack. Next cruise DH and I will ask for the cheese tray, cookies and the chocolate strawberries. Sometimes we just got TOO much: a club sandwich and a half, cookies and canapes all in one day!!! :eek: I think they just had made too many sandwiches and someone said "Take them to the suites."

The Lavaza coffee Machine: This was the fav suite perk to me. To have that on my balcony in the morning was such a treat.

Room service: My kids ordered room service a couple of times and enjoyed that. We may do that on our next cruise if it is just DH and I, but usually had reservations in a specialty restaurant with other members of our group on this last cruise. Breakfast, and a romantic dinner in our suite from Le Bistro would be fun. Just tip the butler in accordance with the services you use.

The priority seating for the suites in the Stardust is on the balcony and I do not like to sit there, so we never used that perk.

We loved the meals at Cagney's for breakfast and lunch.

We have heard that once you cruise in suite, you will not 'go back' to a balcony or lower. Got to say, that is a possibility for us! We shall see, but our next cruise is booked in a suite!!! :D

I know you will enjoy it![/size']

Really have loved this review. I am going on The Star 2/17/13 with my daughter and have booked Little French Key. I had never heard of it.

I have to agree with all of what you have said above, especially about only travelling in a suite. Once you go suite you don't go back. I have only sailed in Garden Villa's in the past so this will be a new experience for me in a AFT Suite. I have one of the wraparounds on 9th floor. Can't WAIT!!!!

The second group was enjoying listening to the captain when a member of our party was looking out the front of the ship. He thought he saw dolphins. He pointed it our to someone else and they decided that it was a whale.....RIGHT in front of the ship! He said out loud "Is that a whale?". I guess everyone looked and the captain said something like 'turn the ship!' and turn it did' date=' just in time to miss a whale for sure. I was a pic someone on our roll call posted of the pic of the whale just at the side of the ship taken during the bridge tour! So....wildlife was saved because extra eyes were on the bridge looking out that day. Peter, if you are reading this, feel free to post your first hand account.[/size']

Since Peter will never read this (he didn't sign up for CC), I'll give you the nearly first-hand account. We were, in fact, enjoying listening to the captain, and saw some flying fish. Please started pointing them out, then my niece (Brittdabrat) pointed out a pod of dolphins swimming with us. While we were looking at the dolphins, Peter was looking out the front window and told me, "There's something really big out there," then more loudly, "I think that's a whale!" The rest of the story is pretty correct; the captain yelled to turn the ship, and we did go around the whale. It was so cool, because he breached the water two or three times. Even the captain was impressed and told us that this was a very rare experience. That made for a GREAT last day on the ship.

I have to say, Roatan (Little French Key) was definitely our favorite day. In fact, we're planning on going back to Roatan for our honeymoon. We will definitely try to plan a day or two at LFK. The weather wasn't perfect, but it was fairly moderate, and we were never too hot or cold.

Cozumel was our second favorite day. We started out with the Ma'ams in the shopping mall, but we split off from them fairly early on. As someone mentioned before, the merchandise in the shops were all the same, and it was sad for me. We ended up walking along the coast, up the street that paralleled the ocean, looking for a dress that I saw in one of the shops that I thought was too expensive. We were planning on just going back to the ship and having lunch at Cagney's, but Peter wanted to have a good margarita. We stopped at a bar on a corner called The Thirsty Cougar (http://www.wetwendys.com) and the bartender asked us what we would like. He ordered a regular margarita and I said that I wanted one blended. She asked me what flavor I would like.........and then showed me the menu. OMG, so many choices! I really like sweet drinks, so I ordered the Pink Panther. I watched as she made the drink, thinking that it belonged to someone else. She filled up the margarita glass with two margaritas, and carved the top into a pretty rose sculpture, then handed me the glass, a kid's plate (I got Hello Kitty), a spoon and a straw. It was FANTASTIC. Since I didn't want to walk back to the ship drunk, we ordered the mixed cerviche, with grouper and shrimp, and ate the entire plate. That was the best cerviche I've ever had. I HIGHLY recommend stopping there if you're having a relaxing day, like we were.

I love the reviews, and I'm so glad we got to come along with you!

Dragongirl - I booked my kids in two of those suites and had seen pics online of those curtains being held in check with towels tied around them. I gave them bungee cords in their Christmas stockings! They had enough to tie all the curtains when needed. NO ONE complained about squeaky curtain hardware during the night' date=' so I don't think it was a problem.

I know you will enjoy it![/size']

I was thinking Hello Kitty duct tape but that might leave something on the drapes - bungee cords sound like a good idea :) I wonder why NCL hasn't figured out some way to hold them back?

Thanks!

I flaked out on finishing my review last night - sorry. It was my first day back to work after this darned flu, and I was totally pooped! I ended up working an hour of overtime, too! Hope to get it finished up tonight.

My thanks to jogurl, too. Glad you could add the first-hand account. Can you get and post copies of some of the pictures your party took of the whale? I was told someone got some good ones.

I rarely comment on cruise reviews (I know I should:rolleyes:) but ma'ams, yours was so refreshing. I will be going to these ports on the Dawn in March with my BFF and you have made it all come alive for me. Thanks sisters for taking your time to write and create a VERY original review :D

OK I am going to try this little story again. Last time it disappeared but I wont use names this time just in case. I must say the last version was much funnier and more clever- the second time around is never as good. AND my husband tells this story 10 times better than me. Use your imagination.

So my husband and I were married only 8 months ago so we are still newlyweds, keep that in mind :D. So the first day we met our butler who we will call “Bob” he brought our snack and tried to explain what all he did but it was in the midst of the muster drill bells and people trying to get to our stations so he told us would come back. Later that day “bob” came back and we had a nice chat. “bob” is from the Philippines and had a very cool accent and was soooo polite and friendly

The next day or so my husband and I left to go out and about on the ship and left some clothes scattered around the room (remember that newlywed part). ;) Anyway when we returned I believe my husbands clothes were put away somewhere while mine were folded neatly on the couch, shorts then my tshirt- and on top folded with the most care I have ever seen was my sexy little thong panty…. My husband and I got a HUGE kick out of this and assumed it had to be “bob”. So at our cocktail party we told the rest of the family and had a good laugh.

Anyways so another day passes and “bob” always makes an effort to greet me and my husband. One of the first nights we went to a cocktail party where many of the officers, concierge, butlers, people like there were there to mingle with guest. Well as I entered to place there was “Bob” to greet me with a smile and “Hello Mrs. Hosea” (its pronounced Jose’) well at this my husband got tickled because he was not greated. And he came over and asked how I was doing and if I needed anything- I guess he assumed my husband was fine and needed nothing.

As the trip goes on “bob” gets friendlier and friendlier and my husband starts making little jokes about “bob” having a crush on me. So one day my husband and I were heading back to the room and from down the hall as far as I can see is “Bob” waving and saying “GOOD MORNING MRS. HOSEA” haha oh yea my husband gave me a misceavious and knowing smile and said “see, I told you”

But the best story comes in Cozumel: I haggled for a dress in mexico and got it super cheap-and was SOO proud, this “dress” turns out to be very lovely but a bit revealing. So I am laying around in my “dress” and nothing else (newlyweds) when there is a knock at the door. So I jump up to get it (not sure why I volunteered so scantily clad but moving on) and there is “Bob” with our daily snack. When I went to step back out of “bob’s” way I tripped over the champagne stand. As I was trying to catch myself “bob” shot his hands out to catch me (shouldn’t let a guest fall) then jerked them back (cant crab a scantily clad lady) then shoots them out (really he cant let me fall) and pulls them back again. This whole time my husband is laughing and I am turning progressive shades of RED. I was so embarrassed and poor “bob” tried so hard to be professional and asked us about our day and if we had fun, and what all we did. All the while my face is the most interesting shade of red. Well of course this is the funniest of all of the incidents and my husband could not wait to share with the family who had begun asking about bob on a daily basis by now. And my husband would walk around saying “hello Mrs. Hosea”. And that is the story of “bob”. :p

I rarely comment on cruise reviews (I know I should:rolleyes:) but ma'ams, yours was so refreshing. I will be going to these ports on the Dawn in March with my BFF and you have made it all come alive for me. Thanks sisters for taking your time to write and create a VERY original review :D

Thank you, 10S nut, I really appreciate your kind words. I have truly loved sharing our experiences, and am sure the others have, too. I just wish it weren't almost over!

And thank you, "Mrs. Hosea" for once again taking the time to share your story. I guess I never heard all the details, you paint a vivid picture!

Well I am finally ready to finish the last day of the review. I awoke early on Sunday morning and jumped out of bed to look out the window to see where we were. The sun was beginning to rise, and I could see we were in the Mississippi headed to NOLA. I quickly got my camera and took this first picture:

IMG_9926_zpsfc12ba6c.jpg

I could not see whether I was getting good pictures, so kept shooting with changed settings. Here are a few more:

IMG_9927_zps5ab4ddb9.jpg

IMG_9928_zps2a76d48d.jpg

IMG_9942_zpsb3d6fb38.jpg

IMG_9936_zps6fa4ba3a.jpg

IMG_9953_zps3eb9748f.jpg

Before long I started recognizing landmarks in New Orleans:

IMG_9948_zps27bc24eb.jpg

I wanted to freeze time and keep the Star from moving ever closer to the pier; it was all happening too quickly! Medicalma'am was out on her balcony taking pictures, too. Notice the moon setting. We had changed our position since we had taken pictures of it rising as the sun was setting, and now the moon was setting on the same side of the ship as it had risen the evening before!

IMG_9950_zps999df178.jpg

IMG_9962_zps3bd94621.jpg

IMG_9965_zps7eb9c20d.jpg

IMG_9970_edited-1_zps8f425c48.jpg

IMG_9968_edited-1_zps6ad391a3.jpg

Edited by planma'am

OK I am going to try this little story again. Last time it disappeared but I wont use names this time just in case. I must say the last version was much funnier and more clever- the second time around is never as good. AND my husband tells this story 10 times better than me. Use your imagination.

So my husband and I were married only 8 months ago so we are still newlyweds, keep that in mind :D. So the first day we met our butler who we will call “Bob” he brought our snack and tried to explain what all he did but it was in the midst of the muster drill bells and people trying to get to our stations so he told us would come back. Later that day “bob” came back and we had a nice chat. “bob” is from the Philippines and had a very cool accent and was soooo polite and friendly

The next day or so my husband and I left to go out and about on the ship and left some clothes scattered around the room (remember that newlywed part). ;) Anyway when we returned I believe my husbands clothes were put away somewhere while mine were folded neatly on the couch, shorts then my tshirt- and on top folded with the most care I have ever seen was my sexy little thong panty…. My husband and I got a HUGE kick out of this and assumed it had to be “bob”. So at our cocktail party we told the rest of the family and had a good laugh.

Anyways so another day passes and “bob” always makes an effort to greet me and my husband. One of the first nights we went to a cocktail party where many of the officers, concierge, butlers, people like there were there to mingle with guest. Well as I entered to place there was “Bob” to greet me with a smile and “Hello Mrs. Hosea” (its pronounced Jose’) well at this my husband got tickled because he was not greated. And he came over and asked how I was doing and if I needed anything- I guess he assumed my husband was fine and needed nothing.

As the trip goes on “bob” gets friendlier and friendlier and my husband starts making little jokes about “bob” having a crush on me. So one day my husband and I were heading back to the room and from down the hall as far as I can see is “Bob” waving and saying “GOOD MORNING MRS. HOSEA” haha oh yea my husband gave me a misceavious and knowing smile and said “see, I told you”

But the best story comes in Cozumel: I haggled for a dress in mexico and got it super cheap-and was SOO proud, this “dress” turns out to be very lovely but a bit revealing. So I am laying around in my “dress” and nothing else (newlyweds) when there is a knock at the door. So I jump up to get it (not sure why I volunteered so scantily clad but moving on) and there is “Bob” with our daily snack. When I went to step back out of “bob’s” way I tripped over the champagne stand. As I was trying to catch myself “bob” shot his hands out to catch me (shouldn’t let a guest fall) then jerked them back (cant crab a scantily clad lady) then shoots them out (really he cant let me fall) and pulls them back again. This whole time my husband is laughing and I am turning progressive shades of RED. I was so embarrassed and poor “bob” tried so hard to be professional and asked us about our day and if we had fun, and what all we did. All the while my face is the most interesting shade of red. Well of course this is the funniest of all of the incidents and my husband could not wait to share with the family who had begun asking about bob on a daily basis by now. And my husband would walk around saying “hello Mrs. Hosea”. And that is the story of “bob”. :p

What a funny group of little stories! I am sure you made "Bob's" week! Lol:D

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

And this was my favorite picture of the sunrise along the Mississippi in the fog:

IMG_9975_zps1310b79a.jpg

I finally went inside and showered one last time, then got dressed for our last breakfast in Cagney's.

DGD was clinging to her mom; but only because she was sad that we had to get off the ship.

IMG_9979_zps828fee99.jpg

We met in Ginza for priority disembarkation at our convenience. David, our Concierge then led us down to the front of the disembarkation line. DD was held up, as they told us it was because she had an OBC balance. But I just think there was a hold on the card as she had just completed putting tips on the card for the room steward, butler, concierge and Kids' Club attendants. After what seemed like 10 minutes, her card finally cleared, showing a zero balance, and we moved along to the line waiting to go through customs. There was a wait, as Medicalma'am said, and DGD found a resting place to play with some of her recent purchases in the ship's store.

IMG_9980_zps7115a97c.jpg

Customs was the quickest and easiest I have ever gone through.

There had been discussions about what color luggage tags to use for disembarkation as a group the previous night, and it changed from the chosen color to the priority ones delivered to our suites by the concierge. But I had failed to notify my DD, so she and DH went off to get her luggage from that of the masses, while I went to the priority luggage area and got ours. We got a porter who loaded all the bags onto his cart and headed back to the infamous Whale Lot. The drivers brought the cars to the sidewalk area for loading the luggage, and we said our goodbyes to those going different directions, and the Ma'ams got into one car and our DHs into another for the drive west into Texas where Medicalma'am and her DH headed north as we continued west.

It is interesting to note that the worst restrooms experienced during our whole vacation were at a gas station along I-10 in Louisiana! There, in the two stalls to choose from, you could have a toilet with a seat, but no toilet paper, or a stall with toilet paper but no seat! Maybe too much information, but I just found it very ironic.

So that's the end of the review for me. I had a fabulous time with family and friends, and was so glad that so many could join us. NCL treated us quite well, and I must say that I'm addicted to the suite life! But if I can't afford a suite next time, an aft balcony is a must. There is just something about those aft cabins and that wake.

Happy Trails

IMG_9815_zpsaf3e689c.jpg

This story is the BEST!!! Laughed out loud even though I had heard most of it before!!! Thank you so much for reposting!