Single crusiers/double occupancy fares

OSCN

Thanks for the info. I'm going on my first cruise ever. and as a solo traveller, in a few weeks and pretty much feel the same way. I opted to pay the extra supplement and get a balcony cabin. No inside, no view room for me, especially my first time :-)

My only suggestions for you would be to look for a deal on a room that you are willing to pay. You're likely always going to have a single supplement on a cruise in some sort of way. The Studios on the Epic, upcoming Breakaway and Getaway are a little higher than a standard inside stateroom, but the Studio also provides more amenities than a standard inside room. I have a feeling that with the introduction of the studio rooms by Norwegian that other cruise lines will begin following suit in a few years.

For those complaining about the size of the studio, with some research you will see the size is not that far off from other standard inside rooms. I believe for the most part there is only a difference of 28 square feet which is fairly small. That area also typically includes the bathroom which takes up a good amount of room. 100 sq ft is not that small of an area. I know the studios won't be for everyone, but they are worth their price.

When I was looking for a cruise to take, I did not run into the case you claim here. The Epic was the cheapest cruise for me. Other cruises were significantly higher, especially on RCI for the same route. The ships you find cheaper rooms as a solo traveler are older ships with less amenities than the Epic.

Don't expect to go out there and find a cruise where you will go solo and not pay more than one person on a ship when they are traveling with more than one other person. You'll have to choose a price you are willing to pay and try to find a cruise within that amount. If you can't find that, consider alternative solo travels.

Could not agree with you more! Solo pricing discrimination is one of the last legal forms of discrimination left!

Did you really use the word discrimination to describe cruise pricing? I wouldn't take it to that extreme. For me, I understand why there is a single supplement and while I find it irritating at times, I don't knock companies for doing it. I just factor in the single supplements when booking a vacation.

A cruise ship has a quota they want to meet. They would prefer at least double occupancy in all their rooms aboard the ship. While I don't agree with charging 200% for a cabin when there is a solo traveler, I do understand getting more money out of a solo traveler. On the business end, they'd be losing a lot of money on popular cruises in which the cruise could sell out if they only charge per person and get a solo traveler.

My only suggestions for you would be to look for a deal on a room that you are willing to pay. You're likely always going to have a single supplement on a cruise in some sort of way. The Studios on the Epic, upcoming Breakaway and Getaway are a little higher than a standard inside stateroom, but the Studio also provides more amenities than a standard inside room. I have a feeling that with the introduction of the studio rooms by Norwegian that other cruise lines will begin following suit in a few years.

For those complaining about the size of the studio, with some research you will see the size is not that far off from other standard inside rooms. I believe for the most part there is only a difference of 28 square feet which is fairly small. That area also typically includes the bathroom which takes up a good amount of room. 100 sq ft is not that small of an area. I know the studios won't be for everyone, but they are worth their price.

When I was looking for a cruise to take, I did not run into the case you claim here. The Epic was the cheapest cruise for me. Other cruises were significantly higher, especially on RCI for the same route. The ships you find cheaper rooms as a solo traveler are older ships with less amenities than the Epic.

Don't expect to go out there and find a cruise where you will go solo and not pay more than one person on a ship when they are traveling with more than one other person. You'll have to choose a price you are willing to pay and try to find a cruise within that amount. If you can't find that, consider alternative solo travels.

The Studios are only a "little higher" in price than a standard inside cabin? On many voyages, they're over 20% higher in price, and in some cases close to double....on an upcoming transatlantic, you could literally pay a 100% supplement on an inside cabin and still pay the same as if you were in a Studio. And they're only "a little" smaller in size? That 28 square feet smaller Studio is actually over 20% smaller.

Of course, it depends on the voyage and the rate at which the various types of cabins are selling. I have to hand it to NCL - they've discovered a wonderful marketing scheme, but to me it's no more than selling a pig in a poke. They're selling on price, not value.....but there's no question that appeals to a lot of people.

There are good solo deals to be found if you have the time to research for them. For my upcoming Jewel sailing, I got a solo rate of $775, when the double occupancy rate at the time was $549' so that was really good to me. It's since gone over $1,000 since I booked it. My Explorer cruise I also got an amazing rate - less than $100 a day!

So, I do my research. I wanted to try a studio room but they are just too small and I'm use to having a full size room. As much as I'd like to do a balcony room all the time, when I'm solo, I settle for the inside and it helps me to spend a lot more time out of the room.

Those who are saying the studios are "too small" and that they aren't worth the money, etc... I thought the studio was perfect for it to be just me traveling alone. 28 feet isn't a lot of room, so that definitely wouldn't make or break my cruise. Especially since I don't really intend to do anything in my room except sleep and shower.

Not to mention that use of the studio lounge is included in the price. Perhaps some people don't think that matters, but I loved being able to grab a cappuccino and/or some milk and cookies to take back to my room at night. Or grab a salad or a sandwich during the day without having to go all over the ship to get one. I merely had to walk a few feet down the hallway.

Also, someone told me that the bottled sodas in the vending machines in the studio hallways were cheaper than the bottled sodas found elsewhere on the ship.

Then the studio lounge itself has books and games for people to use, and the all-important dry erase board that you can use to see if any other solos are interested in trying out things that you want to try out (restaurants, bowling, etc).

There is also the solo director who is there to help you with anything you need. S/he will set up reservations for you, help you out with questions you might have about different things on the ship, etc.

So yeah, the studios might cost a little more (though, to be honest, I don't see very many voyages where the studios are the more expensive option... that just depends on very specific weeks), but it was well worth it, in my opinion, when you consider all of the additional features that you get with it.

Plus, the colorful lighting is just cool. lol

It's certainly not cheaper to travel solo in a balcony cabin, but you're buying twice as much space (including a balcony) for about 30% more money (about $500 more).

The Studios are only a "little higher" in price than a standard inside cabin? On many voyages, they're over 20% higher in price, And they're only "a little" smaller in size? That 28 square feet smaller Studio is actually over 20% smaller. .

Come on Calliope, You can't have it both ways. In your first example. 30% isn't much of a difference, but, in your second example, 20% is a big difference, twice, in terms of price and size. When did 20% become bigger than 30%??

Come on Calliope, You can't have it both ways. In your first example. 30% isn't much of a difference, but, in your second example, 20% is a big difference, twice, in terms of price and size. When did 20% become bigger than 30%??

You've exactly made my point about the difference between value and price ;)

Thirty percent extra isn't much of a difference when it buys you twice as much of the same product. Twenty percent is a big difference only in response to someone who claims there isn't much of a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

I like your views as I posted same question before finding u all here. I am just back from my first cruise, solo, on NCL Dawn. Given the cost of all inclusive or hotel stays, I opted for something entirely new with lots of options to choose from. I was happy with the rate for inside cabin with SS -but your eyes might roll! Cabin was 140 sq' and in context of your discussion there was unused closet space, cubby holes, counters, beside the bed that used up at least 35 sq', and no window. Epic was 970 for a studio in the same week;300 less that the Dawn. The Dawn was my preferred choice considering the value of the itinerary; features of the ship, however the calibre/range of entertainment; variables in operating costs; and what the market will bear for the selling price were obviously out of my hands. So any tips are welcome re where to look for price drops and upgrade opportunities!! Thank you NCL for the price drop guarantee -- I booked the Getaway studio - not only for the itinerary but for the excitement of being on board for her first sailing and having a year to look forward to it!! There are some things that money can't buy. In this case the difference is over 500.00 compared with an inside. I'm not a germophobe, but on these newer ships I expect the air will be circulated more efficiently, and in the studios there is an inside window to avoid the risk of claustrophobia, plus the extra services and the lounge. Oh, and those neat lights someone mentioned!!! So, the 'savings' are going on a back to back on the Epic and through that I will get value of an extra week away for the cost of the flight into Florida, 125 in OBCs, double Latitude points (as I booked within 2 weeks of my return), used my purchased Latitudes credits as deposits (which gave me 200 OBC on the Dawn)..... now just how bad can that be....???? :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I think a lot of people made a lot of interesting points on this thread. Thank you.

What I have found to be frustrating is that many website search engines do not allow you to search or sort according to single-occupancy prices. You can choose the number of travelers only after selecting a cruise from the results. Which means that it can be difficult to find the best single-occupancy fares.

Is it possible for someone to recommend a website that allows you to search according to single-occupancy fares, without risking violating this board's policies?

Thanks.

Hi.

I think a lot of people made a lot of interesting points on this thread. Thank you.

What I have found to be frustrating is that many website search engines do not allow you to search or sort according to single-occupancy prices. You can choose the number of travelers only after selecting a cruise from the results. Which means that it can be difficult to find the best single-occupancy fares.

Is it possible for someone to recommend a website that allows you to search according to single-occupancy fares, without risking violating this board's policies?

Thanks.

Hi:)....nope it is not.....because those are "travel agency

websites" and naming agenices is against CC policy.

I would just use "GOOGLE" and see what you can find.

I think it's pretty safe to say the occupancy rate is 200% of the published fare - unless it's a Crystal cruise or a special sale. So on the cruise line's website, either just double the fare, or go to the "promotions" or "savings" (or whatever they call it) page to see if there are any sales on single's rates.

• 3 weeks later...

The additional cost for the room is the price you pay for being left alone.

Sort of reverse prostitution I guess.

Just look at a good bit of the folks on the cruise and I promise you they

wish they had paid it too.

It's a bargain to me.

JT

another vote for travelling in a studio room!! Love that room.... and will cruise again in a heartbeat. Sometimes the studios are more than a double occupancy standard cabin, sometimes you can get them cheaper. On my TA it was 20% cheaper than a standard inside cabin. :) The studio lounge is brilliant, it has a private bar, seating, TV's, food available 24/7, and the best coffee machine on the ship (does cappuccinos and the like for free!) My next cruise will be a solo, probably on EPIC due to pricing but may look at getaway/breakway in 12-18 months when I think prices will start to drop. I love meeting other people when cruising solo, my cruise had a wide mix. There were a few groups of people travelling together and had booked a few rooms next to each other, young singles, older singles, some just travelling solo because their other half wouldn't cruise... its amazing. The solo traveller meet and greet is good too, and there are activities planned during the cruise such as private entertainment shows, meeting officers, private teppanyaki etc. Cruising is a luxury, and just like in hotels solo's are often penalised, so the cost is just part of the package. I don't spend much on board, so the price of my holiday tends to be what I pay for the cruise. (for the TA's anyhow!)

• 4 weeks later...
How about staying in a Studio as a couple? I know it's small but will that be cheaper than a standard double room?

Well, I did a dummy booking for two people the studio cabins did not come up as a booking option. However, when I did 1 person the studio cabin was available for purchase. I think originally when NCL came up with these studio cabin concept they were going to allow 2 passenger in the cabin, but due to the popularity with singles and the small cabins space they kept it for just solo cruisers. I really think 2 passengers in a 100 sq ft cabin would be very tight anyway.

Hi,

I just do my research and wait for a good deal and look at the price overall. I know that people are leery of Carnival right now, but I have cruised with the, both in groups and solo before. I just booked a balcony room on The Victory for 5 nights with an itinerary I am really interested for less an $1100. I think that's a great deal. If I booked an inside room, it would have been half the price. Can't beat that! Of course I am no fool- I will be getting excellent trip insurance :)

Caro

Archived