Middle Aged Drama Queen Goes BIG: Solo & Last Minute on the ALLURE!!!

KansCocoa

The call came this morning - and wasn't I surprised, though, when I found out I'm NOT going to Hattiesburg, MS - as I thought - but I'm heading up to Manhattan, NY - because Hurricane Sandy is still an issue - and they still need volunteers to relieve volunteers who are finishing up their own deployments.

So...I'll be flying today or tomorrow...

Didn't you say seeing a Broadway show was on your bucket list?? Maybe you'll have the time to do that. Good luck, stay warm.

enjoying the review!

Good luck on your travels. I hope everything goes well.

As a diamond member did I see that during breakfast we can have specialty coffees and is it in the MDR?

The specialty coffee is available for free only in the Diamond Lounge, deck 6, overlooking the Promenade. Specialty coffee ordered in the MDR will cost extra.

Is it just me or do those ice cream scoops look a bit odd... Sorry, but they have a "female" look about them!:p It just struck me funny.

Oh, great, now when I walk by there and snicker my wife will think I'm an idiot.

Edited by BillOh

The specialty coffee is available for free only in the Diamond Lounge, deck 6, overlooking the Promenade. Specialty coffee ordered in the MDR will cost extra.

Bob, Thanks for the quick answer. I am not a huge coffee drinker but once in a while I like to have one. Do you know what time they serve the breakfast? Thanks.

Bob, Thanks for the quick answer. I am not a huge coffee drinker but once in a while I like to have one. Do you know what time they serve the breakfast? Thanks.

If you mean breakfast in the MDR, it varies slightly daily. It will be printed in the Cruise Compass. Usually about 7 to 9:30am.

I have to answer...NO! Based on my daily wardrobe:p:D

Also for any readers who are planning to shop the watch "sale" ...I have to call BS on it! We got a price for a watch we had priced at home...it was far cheaper on board (they do get a nice volume discount from luxury watchmakers) We decided to wait for the "sale", so they covered the watches for like 12 hours (ohh, build demand..."you can't see our watches till the big "sale")...then they tore off the covers and ta da...EXACT SAME PRICES! Bought anyway since it was far cheaper plus no sales tax, but you don't need to get suckered into their drama pretend "sales". Go early while stock is good and negotiate your best price compare in port (be aware they will not take your say so on price, they must have it written and they know that the island stores are not allowed to discount luxury watches (per manufacturer) so while the island shop might sell you one for cheaper with no paper trail; they won't quote it and have the Royal jewelers drop a dime to the manufacturer.) Bottom line- you can do well on watches, but know your prices and don't get sucked into their phony baloney sale...apologies to the sales lady who certainly looks lovely!

Also, loads of folks will agrue that you can buy "online" for cheaper...good luck with that...if it's not a knock off, there is a good chance it's not covered by a warranty, unlike the ships and the islands. We've had no problems servicing watches back home that we bought on the islands.

I agree with that. The sale price is the same amount off no matter when you get it. At least on the watches. You do have to watch the pricing as I was able to find the price locally for the same amount with a quick search. I ended up with another one that the best I could find locally was over $200 more. I did talk to a lady in the lounge one night that purchased a ring that she found for less locally and rccl credited her back the difference so at least they will stand behind the price.

Hey, guess what, folks??

The nature of my "job" (although I am really just a volunteer) with the American Red Cross is that I never know when the phone's going to ring - and I have to grab my bags and go.

The call came this morning - and wasn't I surprised, though, when I found out I'm NOT going to Hattiesburg, MS - as I thought - but I'm heading up to Manhattan, NY - because Hurricane Sandy is still an issue - and they still need volunteers to relieve volunteers who are finishing up their own deployments.

So...I'll be flying today or tomorrow...I HOPE to be able to work on this review in the evenings, but I can't guarantee anything...I'm in for a 14-day deployment, so I'll be home...eventually.

I'll be back...I promise! In the meantime, anyone in NYC that wants to get together sometime, let me know - I'll be there!

good luck...safe travels Sherri...we will await your return...

Best wishes on your deployment. Keep safe and try and take in the sights of NYC when (if) you have some free time. Great restaurants all over the city and go to the TKTS booth in Times Sq for 1/2 price tix to some broadway shows. There is an app for IPhone (search TKTS) that lists what shows are avail. each day.

Thank you, everyone, for your well wishes, prayers, and thoughts! I spent today getting packed - doing paperwork (bills, medical papers, etc) - making airline arrangements - and spending time with the furry children and non-furry children and Hubby....Now that the 13-year old has gone to bed, I thought I would "attempt" to finish up Deck 5 - as I don't know when I'll be back on....

And by the way...here we were just talking about Broadway being on my Bucket List, and I found out that the ARC Headquarters is about a block away from the theater district!!! I am SOOOOOO going to a Broadway show...or two...or three...I figure I'll be getting home late, but who needs sleep? (And doesn't the song say, regarding New York, "I want to wake up...in that city that doesn't sleep"....??!!!

So...I'll finish Deck 5 - for the most part, other than the Dining Room - but this will help me sleep better TONIGHT! :)

Tomorrow - it's off to the BIG APPLE!!!!

The next few posts will be all about the shops that are found on Deck 5, in the Royal Promenade....

Willow

1Willow_zpsa514d12f.jpg

Willow was a fun shop – and I’m being serious, not snarky, here. It features casual sportswear, along with natural linen and organic clothing options for both men and women.

There’s also a REALLY cool line of jewelry here – Veronica’s Glass – that is unique and stunning (google it).

Veronica_zps5fc6c61f.jpg

I bought four pieces and got the 5th for FREE!

For every $50 of Veronica’s Glass you purchased, you’d get a raffle ticket; the raffle was held at 1:00 pm on Day 7, and it was HUGE! There were hundreds of us hoping to win a complete set of Veronica’s Glass – but my luck held true to form and I didn’t win.

2Globes_zpsfcced7fc.jpg

These cool globes were very intricate…but a little pricey. Too pricey for me, anyway…but I enjoyed looking at them...I also had to wonder how they'd ever make it home without getting totally broken??!!

Guess

1Guess_zpsf2fe7e05.jpg

This trendy shop has purses, jewelry, accessories, and apparel…and sunglasses. Lots of sunglasses.

2Guess_zps3099541c.jpg

Prince & Greene

1Prince_zps1682c17f.jpg

This shop offers accessories and clothing for both men and women – featuring designers such as Betsey Johnson, Kenneth Cole, Fred Perry and Marc Jacobs.

2Prince_zps4477137b.jpg

3Prince_zps628ab15a.jpg

Cute suits…I didn’t check prices, though…probably more than what I would normally spend!

I didn't buy anything in these shops...nothing really that I needed...but it was fun to browse!

The Shop

1TheShop_zpsb0b421dd.jpg

This is the RCI souvenir store – the place to go where you want items unique to Allure of the Seas, such as apparel, accessories, and ship models.

2TheShop_zps1963e71f.jpg

Lots of “Allure”-branded stuff, including these bags…as well as t-shirts, caps and such…

6TheShop_zpsb9ef7bb3.jpg

…here’s the ball caps….

3TheShop_zpsb8fb89d8.jpg

Here’s your ship model…including the price...this thing was HUGE!!!

4TheShop_zpsb7f7132a.jpg

For all you Rum cake lovers…you don’t even have to leave the ship!

5TheShop_zpsd732ca62.jpg

And if you forgot some essential toiletry…check here...but it'll cost you!

Attached to “The Shop” was the liquor section….

1Liquor_original_zps39e76e56.jpg

2Liquor_zps63357868.jpg

I can’t stress enough about doing your homework – if you think you’ll be shopping for jewelry, watches, liquor, cameras, etc. Know what you are looking for – and know what an acceptable price is. This will help you shop – not only onboard – but in ports such as St. Thomas and St. Maarten, as well. An informed shopper is a SMART shopper!

Flower Cart

Flowers-1_zps4e85dee3.jpg

There is a flower cart on the Promenade, in case you want to surprise your sweetheart…but remember…you will most likely not be able to take the flowers off the ship at debarkation – due to Customs regulations. They will only be able to be enjoyed onboard.

Thank you, everyone, for your well wishes, prayers, and thoughts! I spent today getting packed - doing paperwork (bills, medical papers, etc) - making airline arrangements - and spending time with the furry children and non-furry children and Hubby....Now that the 13-year old has gone to bed, I thought I would "attempt" to finish up Deck 5 - as I don't know when I'll be back on....

And by the way...here we were just talking about Broadway being on my Bucket List, and I found out that the ARC Headquarters is about a block away from the theater district!!! I am SOOOOOO going to a Broadway show...or two...or three...I figure I'll be getting home late, but who needs sleep? (And doesn't the song say, regarding New York, "I want to wake up...in that city that doesn't sleep"....??!!!

So...I'll finish Deck 5 - for the most part, other than the Dining Room - but this will help me sleep better TONIGHT! :)

Tomorrow - it's off to the BIG APPLE!!!!

I highly recommend Phantom of the Opera (just beautiful) and Mamma Mia (so much fun!)

Just a quick question are the beatlemaniacs always on the allure do you know? we big Beatles fans and would like to see them!! We going to see a Beatles tribute on wed at our local theatre!!

Thanks

Julie

Thanks, Julie! As far as the BeatleManiacs, it will depend on how long their contract is with the ship...others who have sailed previously on the Allure may know the answer, but it seems - to me, anyway - that the Headliner will most likely change - but as to how often, who knows?!

Is it just me or do those ice cream scoops look a bit odd... Sorry, but they have a "female" look about them!:p It just struck me funny.

OMG, I hadn't noticed...like Bill, I'm now going to giggle every time I see that giant cone. :)

Make sure you take your personal alarm with you... plenty of art galleries in NYC to set it off in! :D

I will never live it down...<hanging my head in shame>

Best wishes on your deployment. Keep safe and try and take in the sights of NYC when (if) you have some free time. Great restaurants all over the city and go to the TKTS booth in Times Sq for 1/2 price tix to some broadway shows. There is an app for IPhone (search TKTS) that lists what shows are avail. each day.

I found the app - and I've downloaded it - thanks for the great tip! Half price would be awesome! I should get one day off in my 14-day deployment, so Broadway - here I come! :)

I'm pretty sure Katy Perry has an outfit that looks exactly like that.

Now, see...I'm aging myself...but I immediately thought that Madonna would have an outfit like that...I didn't even think of Katy Perry...not my generation! ;)

I highly recommend Phantom of the Opera (just beautiful) and Mamma Mia (so much fun!)

YES!!!!! I LOVE Phantom of the Opera - that would be an awesome show to say, "Oh, I saw that on Broadway" - as I think it's the longest running show on Broadway at this time! "Mamma Mia" would be good - but I was also thinking of "The Lion King" - or "Wicked" -ack. Too many choices! You'd think I was going on a VACATION rather than to work!!!

I'm going out as a Facilities Supervisor...which means I'll be working to close shelters down (hopefully), close kitchens down, close warehouses, and eventually, the HQ - but only when they're ready to close. Otherwise, I'll be working in Supply - where I'll order the supplies needed for all of the facilities. I love what I do - I have to, since I do it for free!!! :D:D

For those who want to follow along, my blog will be updated...all you have to do is go HERE. I usually blog about everyday life, but if my everyday life is a Red Cross deployment, that's what I'll be writing about. My Bucket List has been posted on my blog for 5 years, and look at #47 - see a Broadway play! Woot!