Middle Aged Drama Queen Goes BIG: Solo & Last Minute on the ALLURE!!!

KansCocoa

Moving along Deck 6…we come to the Diamond Club…a lounge designed for guests that are Diamond and above in RCI’s C&A Society. Here, guests can enjoy concierge access, complimentary continental breakfast and evening drinks.

DiamondclubChairs_zps81b74e7f.jpg

I had difficulty finding this, initially…I finally had to stop and study a map, so I could locate it – it’s rather hidden (at least, it was to me!) Your Seapass card will unlock the door. Once I found it, I was curious to see what the breakfast offerings included:

DiamondFood1_zps879cc4ea.jpg

Diamond2_zpse1bf874b.jpg

There were perhaps three other people in the Diamond Lounge the morning that I visited…so seating – at least for breakfast – is not an issue.

I didn’t stop here for drinks in the evening…that was usually just due to a timing issue/dinner reservations on my part…so I can’t comment on what was offered…I know that sometimes, the crowds will force the evening cocktails to be moved down to Deck 4 – Blaze.

I did utilize the menus that were here…they have a table set up of all of the Specialty/Main Dining Room menus, which you could peruse. However, your interactive televisions in your cabins also have this same information, so don’t go to the Diamond Lounge JUST to get the menu information…!

-----

Heading towards the back of the ship, we find Focus, where you can not only find the photographs that have been taken of you during the week, but other camera supplies (as well as cameras).

Focus_zps3cc9c1ad.jpg

I’ve always hated the Photo Scavenger Hunt that cruise ships forced us into in the past…you know, those endless walls of random photos that we had to search through in the hopes of miraculously finding our OWN photographs. The Allure is using the “folder” system – both electronically, with these kiosks:

FocusKiosk_zpsf5ab783a.jpg

…as well as an actual folder assigned to each stateroom. Your Seapass card will have your folder number printed on it, and you can EASILY find your family’s photographs. This was a HUGE improvement over the Photo Scavenger Hunt - it took me only a minute to find my folder with my photographs....

Although...if you look closely at my photo above...you'll see the Photo Scavenger Hunt still going on, along the back walls...???!!!

The 8x10’s were sold for $19.99 apiece (yowza!) There is an all-inclusive CD package for $349.95 (I would recommend taking a LOT of photos during the week with the ship’s photographers!) If you think you want to take lots of pictures, stop by Focus early in the week for a Portrait Planner, so you can see all the portrait options for the week – complete with times and locations.

With regards to cameras, the shop has Canon, Olympus, Leica, Pentax and others at tax and duty-free prices. On Day 5, they were offering a Canon 520 HS for $279.95 (Is this a good price? I have no idea, so I’d suggest doing your homework if you’re looking to purchase a camera onboard).

I came here to Focus on Day 7 to purchase the Cruise in Review DVD, which, honestly, is one of the better DVD’s I’ve seen (and I’ve purchased every DVD for every cruise I’ve been on). I’m not a salesman – but just giving my honest opinion on it…and I was impressed.

The Next Cruise Desk is where you can find join the C&A program, or book your next cruise. If you book your next cruise onboard, you can receive UP to $200 onboard credit (amount depends on how long your cruise is).

NextCruise_zpse64614e9.jpg

I stopped here and went ahead and filled out a "Decide Later" booking...which means I still get the onboard credit and other perks, but I didn't have to commit to an exact date/ship yet. It didn't take but more than a week and I received my email from RCI, confirming my next booking. Yay! So - if you even THINK you're going to cruise again with RCI - but don't know a date, itinerary, etc - ask for the "Decide Later" form. Easy, peasy!

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend! :D

OMG, it's Trainman!!!

I'm such a fan...I feel like a groupie...can you tell I'm all flustered now??!! :p

And you are SO right...anything that sparkles...gets our attention. ;)

Valentine's Day IS coming up...hint, hint...for all you lovers out there.

I got some diamond earrings on the ship, and gold earrings in St. Thomas, and one of those silver hook bracelets in St. John.

Yes, it's Steve's birthday, but you get the bling...I LOVE how that works!

That ladies spa deal is a bargain. Hoping they have this on Oasis when I go!

Loving the review so far. Thanks!

I would imagine they would have it - or something very similar! It was offered on both our port days - St. Thomas and St. Maarten...

And thank YOU! :)

Sorry to hear they are still doing this money grab crap. I also call it a scam.

AMEN!!!

I'm just trying to forewarn everyone...so you know what to expect. Now, if you've read my reviews, and you attend one of these "FREE" seminars, and they hit you up to buy something, you can't say I didn't warn you! ;)

I've read many reviews about this area being over crowded/booked on Allure. This photo above is the first time I've seen evidence of any them limiting that on Allure.

One of the reasons I'm reading your review, other than the sheer entertainment value and passing the days till my return, is to get ideas for my next review. We will have another onboard credit to give this a try and I'll report back.

As I said, I always visited the Suite at 9:00 pm each night...only once was there anyone else in there (a couple that left a few minutes after I went in). However, now that the secret is out - the 9:00 pm hour may be the busiest! :) I probably should have kept my mouth shut - just like the secret aft balconies!

My DH and I are Top Chef fans also - will definitely need to read your review of that cruise! I just found this one and I'm enjoying it for our upcoming Oasis cruise in May.

OMG, I can't WAIT for my Top Chef cruise! Not only to rub elbows with Fabio, and eat the delicious food, but also to see how Celebrity compares with RCI...I've never sailed on anything BUT RCI, so I'm just very curious...! :)

Finishing up our tour of Deck 8:

Dazzles

DazzlesSign_zps9502c875.jpg

Towards the back of the ship on Deck 8, there is a music & dancing venue called “Dazzles.” It offered a wide variety of music during our cruise, including Country & Western, Big Band, Rock 'n Roll, Orchestra, as well as Motown. There were also some musical-related trivia contests held there, as well as the Majority Rules Game show. These will all be listed in your daily Cruise Compass.

Dazzles_zps58488988.jpg

A view from the stage/dance floor looking out to the seating....

-----

Moving down to Deck 7…the only public area on Deck 7 is one that is found waaaaaaaaay back at the back of the ship – the famous Rock Climbing Wall. However, in the case of the Allure, there are TWIN Rock Climbing Walls – one on either side of the ship.

RockWall3-1_zps1166eee0.jpg

So…climbing the wall is free…but you MUST be age 6 or over, and wearing socks and dry clothes. On sea days, the schedule would something like this:

Beginners Session 9:00 – 10:00 am

Open Climbing 10:00 am – Noon

Bouldering Session 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm

Open Climbing 2:00 pm – 6:00 pm

For days that the ship is in port, it would most often be closed during the day, but would open up for Open Climbing from 4:00 – 7:00 pm. Periodically, there would be Climbing Under the Stars, from 10-11:00 pm in the evenings….

RockWallfromDeck6_zps73d57598.jpg

A view of the wall from the Boardwalk, on Deck 6...

If you've never climbed before, you might want to attend the "Introduction to Rock Climbing" class on Day 1 from 1:00 - 2:00 pm. On Day 2, there was a Kids Learn to Climb class at 5:00 pm.

I did not do this on this particular cruise (can I blame my broken foot?!), but I did climb the wall a few years ago on the Brilliance of the Seas. It does take some work, but the payout is incredible – when you finally reach the top and ring the bell! From what I could observe, the lines to climb were never really long…and they moved quickly.

RockWall2_zpscf044d5b.jpg

The "secret" balconies on Decks 11, 12 and 14 will offer incredible views of the climbers coming up the wall....

That finishes up Deck 7...so, we're now moving on to Deck 6...the Spa, the Boardwalk and the Aqua Theater...some of my other favorite places onboard!

Are there "belayers" at the bottom of each climber? I've done indoor climbing with an auto belay and those things creep me out. I can never get myself to let go and just jump off.

Hey - I'm glad to help! You will LOVE the "secret" balcony on Deck 11! And I am really hoping to get as much posted as soon as possible - but I also want to make sure its worth your while to read... EPIC WRITERS writing EPIC reviews need time. Hee hee.

Good question!

You are correct in that there is no "human" at the bottom, belaying you up...it is completely done now by the auto mechanism. That threw me - as the staff on the Brilliance had...ahem..."helped" me a bit on my own climb up by hoisting me when I got stuck, so to speak. That doesn't happen on the Allure. You don't get any assistance or a free "hoist" by a staff person at the bottom. However, there are staff at the bottom that get you into the equipment & harness, obviously. I don't know if they shout encouragement, like they did to me on the Brilliance, since I didn't climb on the Allure. I hope, perhaps, another reader can chime in with how much assistance/encouragement/etc you will get...but it sounds as if your son doesn't need any assistance! :)

Oh no!!!!!

And now…the Vitality Spa.

The Spa…ahhhhh…..

Spa_zpsaa6c5b17.jpg

I loved the spa. I love any spas, for that matter. And I used this spa extensively…not just for treatments (of which I had two – reviews & information to follow), but I also used the Thermal Suite and the Relaxation Room.

The Vitality Spa is huge, with solo and couples massage rooms, a youth spa, a thermal room, acupuncture, a mud lounge, and a thermal suite with a rain forest shower and steam chambers.

Here is a menu of the offerings, as well as the prices (that are always subject to change):

AllureSpaInfoPage4-37_zps5b614f71.jpg

-------------------------------

As you can see, it can get pricey…on port days, they would often offer a special, that would look like this:

AllureSpaInfoPage4-33_zps117497a8.jpg

----------------

And GUYS, we don’t want YOU to feel left out, so here’s something for you:

AllureSpaInfoPage4-34_zps5ccf60c4.jpg

-------------------

On boarding day (Day 1), there’s a special going on, as well:

AllureSpaInfoPage4-38_zps6567ede7.jpg

-----------------

The Thermal Suite…which is actually located down a deck on Deck 5 – was relaxing…however, instead of large glass windows that overlook the ocean, they offer you a relaxing view of....doors…of the steam rooms. Bleh. I was disappointed in the Thermal Suite, having been spoiled on the Radiance class. However – I will say that it was a nice end to my day, relaxing on the heated chairs…it was normally empty (I would go every night from 9:00 pm – 10:00 pm).

AllureSpaInfoPage4-36_zpsd4b01a33.jpg

The Spa would open every day at 8:00 am and close at 10:00 pm.

Is this also where the free use showers and steam rooms are as well?

We'll be on the April 7 Western sailing of Allure, and your review just gets me more and more excited! Love your sense of humor; no wonder your friends wanted you to sail with them!

Tomorrow we're on the 60 day countdown, so I am starting the 60 day diet and exercise plan (funny, I started Feb 1, but pesky superbowl depression (niner fan) got in the way and i ate my way through the first half!!)

Keep the review coming! Look forward to reading it during my long hours of work (did I say that?!:eek: mean home time)

BTW, I know you didn't have any kids there, but did you run into anyone that had done the Barbie experience? Thinking about it for diva dd 5 yo. Thanks,

Is this also where the free use showers and steam rooms are as well?

The showers are in the locker rooms (which are on Deck 5 - but you access them from the Spa on Deck 6 and go down a flight of stairs)...the showers are available to everyone, even if you don't purchase the Thermal Suite package.

The steam rooms are in the Thermal Suite, so you have to purchase the Suite access...there were 4-5 different rooms - dry heat, wet heat, scented heat, etc.

We'll be on the April 7 Western sailing of Allure, and your review just gets me more and more excited! Love your sense of humor; no wonder your friends wanted you to sail with them!

Tomorrow we're on the 60 day countdown, so I am starting the 60 day diet and exercise plan (funny, I started Feb 1, but pesky superbowl depression (niner fan) got in the way and i ate my way through the first half!!)

Keep the review coming! Look forward to reading it during my long hours of work (did I say that?!:eek: mean home time)

BTW, I know you didn't have any kids there, but did you run into anyone that had done the Barbie experience? Thinking about it for diva dd 5 yo. Thanks,

Ha, thank you! ;) Diet? Exercise? What is that?? I don't know what those words are...hee hee.

No, unfortunately, I didn't run into anyone who had done it, nor did I really see it advertised onboard very much...I don't know if my "radar" was flying over the kids' activities, or what, but I really didn't see much of the Barbie experience in the Cruise Compass, either.

The showers are in the locker rooms (which are on Deck 5 - but you access them from the Spa on Deck 6 and go down a flight of stairs)...the showers are available to everyone, even if you don't purchase the Thermal Suite package.

The steam rooms are in the Thermal Suite, so you have to purchase the Suite access...there were 4-5 different rooms - dry heat, wet heat, scented heat, etc.

Ah, ok thanks for clearing that up for me. We are staying on deck 6 so those nights where we get back late from port but have an early dinner those showers will come in handy. :)

Continuing on of our tour with Deck 6, the Potpourri of Decks:

The Schooner Bar is located on Deck 6…

Some of the events held here include daily trivia contests, as well as piano entertainment with Liam Stewart and Chip Colvin (around 9:45 pm or so).

SchoonerBar1_zps18653deb.jpg

Allure2_zps5cb34110.jpg

There would be morning trivia around 10:00 am, and then perhaps an afternoon/evening trivia game, around 3:00 pm or so....

Between 5:00 pm and 8:00 pm, the Schooner Bar would offer 20% off martini's. Yummy!

----------------------

The Boardwalk

And now…to the back of the ship on Deck 6…we find the unique neighborhood known as the Boardwalk, stretching for almost a third of the ship’s length. Family, fun and nostalgia…the Boardwalk is a family-friendly mix of shops, restaurants, and games.

Here are some general pictures of the Boardwalk to enjoy, before we begin our detailed tour:

BOARDWALK3_zps8fa664bd.jpg

boardwalkgeneral_zps8c070588.jpg

AllureBoardwalkAmy_zpsba627a5e.jpg

With credit to Steve and Amy....

Pretty innocuous...but don't let these photos fool you...for there all sorts of surprises and fun hidden in the Boardwalk....!

The entrance to Boardwalk is a delight in itself….

It would be oh-so-tempting to just zip through the entrance of the Boardwalk, not paying attention to what's on either side of you, as you get sucked into what's beyond...

...BUT DON'T DO THAT!!!

Don't fall for that temptation...because you'll miss a true delight!

First, you'll miss the Funhouse Mirrors:

Funhouse5_zps49b10289.jpg

Hmmm...I think this picture below is pretty accurate...but just wait....

Funhouse2_zps1c2f642d.jpg

Whenever I thought I might be gaining weight (remember our word for that??? Obesophobia????!!), I'd go stand in front of this mirror, and my fears would be put to rest:

Funhouse3_zps5146d444.jpg

This is where you let your inner child out to play…have some fun looking in EACH of the mirrors, because they’re all different…and they all have a surprising result!

My LEAST favorite mirror - but one that would always get me to giggling - was THIS one:

Funhouse4_zps8b165805.jpg

Short and squat...YIKES! But TOO funny!

Back to my favorite:

Funhouse1_zpsfc819722.jpg

Just LOOK at those legs!!!! Where's my modeling contract???!!!

Seriously, though - take a minute to have some fun in the mirrors...they're FREE! :)

As well as the Funhouse Mirrors, you’ll find some pretty cool old-time carnival artwork in the entrance hallway:

Pier3_zps63a6ae7b.jpg

MonterreyMaid_zps0902e73c.jpg

HookLine_zps1daeab79.jpg

These were done by an artist named Andy Bridge, and the set is entitled “Memories of My Youth.” The artist spent his youth in English seaside resorts, and he’s captured some of his memories – such as eating cotton candy and playing arcade machines – in these vignettes.

CottonCandy_zpsef2c564c.jpg

WheelofFortune_zps453c4704.jpg

They're 3-dimensional, and definitely worth a look or two as you head into the Boardwalk...

...but let's move in!

Sherri,

Norman was our cabin steward. Hardly ever saw him but the room was always spotless and usually made up by the time we came back from any activity. Asked him once to make sure we had a couple of things in the room and he always made sure we had a more than ample supply.

… a middle-aged suburban wife, mother, grandmother, and Disaster Services volunteer with …

I just discovered this thread and plan on reading it in the next few days. I loved your European thread and it helped me prepare for the cruise that I took in the fall...thank you. :) Anyway, did I miss something in the other thread? When did you become a grandmother? ;)

I just discovered this thread and plan on reading it in the next few days. I loved your European thread and it helped me prepare for the cruise that I took in the fall...thank you. :) Anyway, did I miss something in the other thread? When did you become a grandmother? ;)

Ah, good catch! Actually, I've been a grandmother for quite awhile...Hubby and I blended a family of 7 kids...he had four...I had two...and we had one together. We now have 8 grandchildren...ranging in age from 15 to 3...and because we have such a huge family, and our youngest is only 13 herself, I have a feeling I'm going to be having grandkids for many years to come!

You could call them "step-grandkids" - but we don't use the word "step" in our family - they're my kids and grandkids as if they were my own, and I get to love them, discipline them, and worry about them just as a bio-parent would! :)

Sherri,

Norman was our cabin steward. Hardly ever saw him but the room was always spotless and usually made up by the time we came back from any activity. Asked him once to make sure we had a couple of things in the room and he always made sure we had a more than ample supply.

I hardly ever saw him, either, but he knew I was on the go all the time and would laugh about it! I loved him...as you said, the room was always made up and I always had whatever I needed. :)

BTW...I saw the Constellation in your signature...are you sailing on her soon? That's the ship I'll be on in April for the Top Chef cruise - I'd love to see any photos you take of her when you get back, as well as give me any advice or tips! :)

And now…the Vitality Spa.

The Spa…ahhhhh…..

Here is a menu of the offerings, as well as the prices (that are always subject to change):

AllureSpaInfoPage4-37_zps5b614f71.jpg

Thank you for this. I'd debating DW & I doing a couples massage on our upcoming Oasis cruise. Can someone confirm I'm seeing this right? A 50 minute Swedish Massage is $119. But a 50 minute COUPLE Swedish Massage is $269. Huh? The 75 minute couple massage is ~ double the single massage, but the 50 minute couple costs more than two singles? Yes, only $30, but that's pays for a specialty restaurant.