Middle Aged Drama Queen Goes BIG: Solo & Last Minute on the ALLURE!!!

KansCocoa

Really enjoying your review. I'm currently confined to my house due to bad shoulder injury and to pass time getting as much info as possible on Allure. I like you said I would never sail on such a big ship but DH is starting to talk me into it and after reading Gambee's review I think I've changed my mind. Its great to have something so entertaining to read while bored to tears at home. Gambee's review kept me going for days. Going to start reading your prev reviews as I can tell they will be a great read. I'm going to try my first review after my next cruise in June.

We are the same. Didnt like the thought of all these people. Looks like we must try it.

By the way,

Get well soon,

Alex

Good advice! And too funny! And you're right - sometimes it would be shaded - and sometimes it would be sunny...

We booked the last Oceanview balcony on the aft side this time and we discovered this place last year. If January the sun is lower in the sky so you really have to consider which side of the ship is in the sun. In May, its far less of a problem, but you do have to consider your itinerary. Heading east the sun is behind you in the morning and behind you late afternoon evening, but the sun stays up several hours longer, its also high enough in the sky to get both sides. Plus this is a great place to watch the belly flop, or the Oceanaria show with no reservation, or if you missed it.

Hello, I've been reading your review for a few days and felt compelled to join just to tell you how much I'm enjoying it!! We have booked our first ever cruise on the allure may 19th for our 30th wedding anniversary and wanted something special and now I know we made the right choice!! I'm so excited and it's great to have all the info as we have never cruised before I'm sure our first cruise will be memorable!!

Thank you and look forward to the rest of the review!

Julie

Hello, I've been reading your review for a few days and felt compelled to join just to tell you how much I'm enjoying it!! We have booked our first ever cruise on the allure may 19th for our 30th wedding anniversary and wanted something special and now I know we made the right choice!! I'm so excited and it's great to have all the info as we have never cruised before I'm sure our first cruise will be memorable!!

Julie

Couldn't help but notice your cruising on the Allure the same time as us. Come over to the roll call section of CC and sign up. It really enhances the cruise experience and you'll meet some great people. See you there!

..... Walk out a little further and look across at the other side of the ship - amazing, glorious, need your SPF 10000 sunshine. Back thru the door... start the trek back up the hall... trying NOT to make eye contact with the room stewards... to the elevator banks, across the ship and start making my way back down the other hallway dodging more room stewards in my path. .... ;)

As a cruiser who has also said "never" to the mega ships, and who is reading this review with interest and curiosity, how **does** one get across that "canyon"? It would seem rather inconvenient -- one goes down to the "floor" level to cross, then elevator back up(let's be honest here... *I'm* not taking stairs up 14 flights!!), then down a hallway?

As a cruiser who has also said "never" to the mega ships, and who is reading this review with interest and curiosity, how **does** one get across that "canyon"? It would seem rather inconvenient -- one goes down to the "floor" level to cross, then elevator back up(let's be honest here... *I'm* not taking stairs up 14 flights!!), then down a hallway?

There are bridges across the gaps. It's actually not that far out of the way from any given location to cross over.

Love the review!!! Brings back a lot of great memories!!!

Thanks!!

Yay - thanks! I'm glad it brings back good memories - that's half the fun! :)

Thank you for this great review! I am strongly considering going on the Oasis this upcoming December, and while not the same ship, i am curious to read about this from the perspective of someone else who previously thought that this class of ship might be too big...

Looking forward to reading the rest :)

I would say...go for it! As you can see in my signature, I'm doing another "big" cruise - so I guess we can all deduce that I liked it. ;)

Hey Sherri,

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully we will meet on one of our cruises. Are you booking your next cruise?

Take Care,

Daniel

Yes - we're probably going on either the Allure or Oasis this summer; still trying to narrow down the exact dates. :)

Sherri, thanks for your great pics of these areas. I'd heard about them and seen distance shots, but nothing as good as yours and I'm looking to utilise these as we're staying on deck 11!

If you have a balcony on Deck 11, you may not use this secret area as much as I did...but it was great to watch events in the Aqua Theater, as well as have small get-togethers with Amy, Steve and the parents...I'm glad the photos helped! :)

Julie

Welcome, Julie! I'm honored that I drew you out of lurkdom to the point of posting! I think you'll have an amazing time - wait until I start reviewing the speciality restaurants - it may give you some ideas of romantic dinners with the Hubs! :)

BTW...see Smeck's message below...it was too late for me to join the roll call here on CC for MY sailing - but you have plenty of time...I highly recommend this! We were very active on our roll call for our European sailing last summer, and we met so many friends (including Steve and Amy - which is what got me on the Allure!).

Couldn't help but notice your cruising on the Allure the same time as us. Come over to the roll call section of CC and sign up. It really enhances the cruise experience and you'll meet some great people. See you there!

I DEFINITELY agree! Over the years, I've had cruises where we weren't involved with our roll call - and others where we were very active - and I have to say, hands down, the active roll call wins every time! It's nice to see "some" familiar faces onboard...!

It is easier than you think, trust me! The designers knew what they were doing when they built this ship - there are little bridges/hallways etc that get you across the canyons. The first day onboard may trip you up once or twice - but by the second day, you'll be running all over the ship with nary a thought as to getting lost or figuring out how to navigate - it will be second nature. :)

The only time I went up the stairs - for any length of time - was 6 flights up, immediately after Muster Drill. Yikes. I'll be talking about that later.... ;)

Omg Sherry I love it 😄 keep it coming

Thank you! I will!

Sherri, WOW Thank you so much for your review. I just spent the morning reading it and I am looking forward to getting to the finish. I will be sailing on the Allure in April with DH, DD and FSIL. It will be the FSIL first cruise so I am more excited to see what he thinks. DD has been on 3 others and when we got back from the Allure last year she wanted to go with us this year. We could not stop talking about how much we liked the Allure. This will be the first time in quite sometime that we are only traveling with 4. We usually travel with a big group so that will bring a whole new twist on things. Thanks again. Having sailed on the Allure before it is bringing back some great memories.

Cindy

Great Review! I've always dreamed of taking a cruise alone or with my two daughters. My DH and I are booked on the Oasis this June and I can't wait! This will be the eleventh cruise for us, and it's still my favorite vacation. I, too, love to take my kindle, my drink, and my snack and find a private place to read. The private balconies on decks 11 and 12 are a great tip! Thanks, Marsha

When we left off our ship tour yesterday, we had finished up with Deck 11…which offered at least two hideaways from the crowds and the noise…the Library, as well as the balcony at the very back (aft) of the ship.

Just a reminder/tip: if you fail to make reservations for OceanAria – or want to see it a 2nd time – use one of these aft balconies. Or - you can always use these to watch some of the other events going on in the Aqua Theater, which include (for Eastern Itinerary, anyway!):

Day 1: OceanAria Aqua Show (Reservations Required) 9:00 pm 10:45 pm

Day 2: Sail Away Party Celebration 1:15 pm

Day 2: OceanAria Aqua Show (Reservations Required) 9:00 pm 10:45 pm

Day 3: World’s Sexist Man Competition 2:00 pm

Day 3: OceanAria Aqua Show (Reservations Required) 7:30 pm 9:30 pm

Day 4: A Selection of Fountain Shows 10:15 pm

Day 4: Outdoor Video Concert (Rod Stewart) 10:30 pm

Day 5: 50’s & 60’s Rock ‘n Roll Party 10:15 pm

Day 5: Outdoor Movie Sing Along (Grease) 11:15 pm

Day 6: Aqua Trend Fashion Show 12:30 pm

Day 6: Belly Flop Competition 1:00 pm

Day 7: Let Me Entertain Me! Aqua Show Noon 1:30 pm

Day 7: Outdoor Movie 4:30 pm

SailAwayParty_zps4b1ec5d3.jpg

My view of the Sailaway Party Celebration on Day 2 - from Deck 11 Aft Balcony

I’ve listed these to not only help with your scheduling…but also as an FYI for anyone who books the Boardwalk Balcony cabins…especially those close to the Aqua Theater. Keep in mind that you will possibly “hear” some of these events – on your balcony, or even in your cabin, depending on how close your cabin is to the Theater. Note that some of these events begin late in the evening...close to bedtime...so, if you have small Klingons - they could be disturbed by the noise.

Steve & Amy were in Cabin #11329…which is the last cabin on Deck 11 – closest to the Theater….they were serenaded until the wee hours of the morning with the movie “Grease” on Day 5….and being serenaded by "Shama Lama Ding Dong" was not their ideal lullaby at 1:00 in the morning. ;)

Decks 10…and Deck 9…have no public areas that I know of….so that takes us down to Deck 8…and Central Park…truly one of my MOST FAVORITE areas on the ship. I fell in love with Central Park…and I’ll do my best to show you why….

Deck 8…Central Park.

CentralParkSign_zpsb9d3d58d.jpg

Paradise in the middle of the World's Largest Cruise Ship...in the middle of the Caribbean Sea.

I loved Central Park….a 21,000 square-foot tropical garden….

Let me say that again, because I really, really want to emphasize it…

I LOVED Central Park.

CentralPark1_zps7e063c7e.jpg

I could live there.

I seriously entertained the thought of becoming a stowaway onboard…and sleeping on one of the numerous benches in Central Park…not only would I be surrounded by tranquility, but it would give the area a more authentic feel….right?

ParkBench1_zps3d1b39b6.jpg

I've got dibs.

AllureParkBench_zps6cfefb8d.jpg

THIS...was a great place to relax...people watch...listen to the birds...and it was NOT crowded...

I’ll talk more about my impressions of Central Park when I go through the day-to-day stuff, but right now, I’ll talk about what you’ll find here…it’s definitely cosmopolitan, and definitely upscale, and yet…it feels like home.

Central Park is definitely in my Top 10 of Favorite Places...and it's because it was tranquil. It was peaceful. It was seldom crowded. And it was basically Klingon-free.

BlueBirds2_zps7107abbc.jpg

It’s just…beautiful. They’ve brought in these flying birds, designed by Carmel Mooney, and made of blue Murano glass…and during the day, there are sounds of birds actually chirping as you walk through the gardens. At night, you’ll hear crickets. It’s amazing.

BlueBirds_zps1358f375.jpg

To orient you, just know that Central Park is found more towards the FORWARD section of the ship on Deck 8. That’s easy to remember, as the park is definitely FORWARD thinking in its innovation and design…not to mention, it’s 1st-class all the way.

On our tour, I’m going to go in a circular motion – clockwise – so, we’ll begin on the starboard side…where we find Vintages.

Beginning our circular tour of the beautiful Central Park, we first stumble across this little delight:

Vintages

Vintages2_zpse54f9d0b.jpg

Yes, it’s a wine bar. You would guess that by it’s name. But – it’s more than that. I’m allergic to wine, and yet I really enjoyed having a delicious lunch here one day – nibbling and noshing on small tapas – or appetizers – that brought memories of Barcelona back...so don't let the name throw you. Enjoy the food - with or without wine...and note...they have chocolate tapas. Yum.

Vintages1_zps76227d36.jpg

Sit inside...or sit outside...and enjoy the ambiance....

Vintages is cozy…instead of traditional dining tables, it gives the feel of someone’s living room…sofas, couches, pillows…and coffee tables…an intimate dining experience for friends or couples alike.

This is NOT a free dining venue – you will pay based on what you order – but it was very affordable. Some plates were only $2.00. I’ll do a further review of this later, including photos of the food, as we had lunch here on Day 6.

On sea days, Vintages would open at noon for lunch...and most evenings, it would be open until 1:00 am for late night dining.

----

Giovanni's Table

If Spanish-influenced tapas aren't your cup of tea, what about some delicious Italian food? Then walk a few yards, and you'll encounter Giovanni's Table, a Tuscan-inspired restaurant that is sure to please.

AllureCentralParkGiovanni_zps6fadc6ba.jpg

Giovanni_zps6771c10f.jpg

It serves pizzas, pastas and other delights.

CentralParkGiovanni_zpsbfbfb91f.jpg

Again, you can sit inside...or outside...

It would open at noon for lunch on sea days - and dinner would be served from 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm. There is a $20 per person fee for dinner...and I'll be reviewing it later, as I had dinner there on Day 1 of my cruise.

We're making our way back to 150 Central Park, but in the meantime...we'll take a stroll down this beautiful pathway...

BeautifulPath_zpsf9f93b93.jpg

No fibbing on your part... you are an EPIC writer doing an EPIC review!:D

Thank you...<blushing> Now we just have to convince Jack, the RCI agent. ;)

Loving this review! On the Allure March 17 ... Under 40 days to go!

Thank you for so much detail and GREAT tips!

Andrea

Jealous! Have a great trip, Andrea!

I will be sailing on the Allure in April with DH, DD and FSIL. It will be the FSIL first cruise so I am more excited to see what he thinks. Having sailed on the Allure before it is bringing back some great memories.

Cindy

Cindy - I think your FSIL will have a fabulous time! What I like about the Allure is that it really has something for everyone...if you like crowds, you can find them...if you like peacefulness, you can find it...if you want adult activities, they're there...and if you want children's activities, they're plentiful. If you can't find something that suits your personality, you're not trying! :)

Great Review! I've always dreamed of taking a cruise alone or with my two daughters. My DH and I are booked on the Oasis this June and I can't wait! This will be the eleventh cruise for us, and it's still my favorite vacation. I, too, love to take my kindle, my drink, and my snack and find a private place to read. The private balconies on decks 11 and 12 are a great tip! Thanks, Marsha

Yay - my twin! I'm glad my tips are helping...and speaking of snacks...I have a picture later that has me on the Deck 11 balcony...with my snack of choice...one of those cupcakes from the Cupcake Cupboard...! They were my downfall...argh.

Dear Readers...

...Unfortunately, work calls today...I am teaching a class this evening to brand-new Red Cross volunteers, and as I haven't taught this particular class in...um...six months, I think? I'm a bit...rusty.

I not only have to drive to the Red Cross office, which is an hour away, but I must set up the classroom and review the materials...not to mention, grab a bite of lunch and prepare a salad for my early dinner....

What does this mean to you?

It means that I won't be working anymore on the review today.

ACK!

I thought about rushing it - but I HATE rushing it, and I want my review to be thorough, and yet concise...and offer tips and advice to first-time Allure/Oasis cruisers...so...I won't rush it, but will continue it tomorrow morning.

I beg and plead for patience...as I know some of you have sailings coming up and want to get to the "good stuff"...but I promise I'll be back tomorrow. :o

I would join the "I'm never sailing on that monstrosity:eek:" group in feeling that this class of ship was just too big.

As I say that, I am searching the RCI website for a future family cruise.

I am so excited to read the rest of your review!!

I will also be reading your Freedom review as I will be sailing on her for the 5th time in just over a month and you now have me wondering if I might have missed some of the good stuff.:p

Thank you for the wonderful review!