Running down the pier.......

jc24cruiser

It seems like each time in Nassau there has been a couple runners; must be the Sr Frogs affect. I have even seen ships wait, up to an hour after their sail time in Nassau waiting for guests (the CCL Fascination waited 45 mins last June).

Due to delays on a DIY tour, I have been a pier runner but made it to the gangway with just a few minutes to spare. I was mortified that I may have to find a way to catch the ship in the next port. I do feel sorry for those who got caught in traffic or other delay, but I don't have sympathy for the ones who stagger back to the ship late. Those are entertaining to watch. If their time at the bar is more important than the time of the other 3,500 passengers then the ship should leave them behind.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

Many ports require a pilot to bring the ship in and out of port. The pilot boat brings them to the ship before the ship gets to the port then the pilot 'drives' the ship to the dock. Same when leaving. The pilot boat picks the pilot up when the ship is out of the port. We've seen the pilot go down a rope ladder then literally jump onto the pilot boat. Don't know if they are allowed to bring passengers back to the ship.

Not sure what the rules are, but on one of our cruises a couple of ladies were late back to the ship at Ocho Rios and were taken out by the pilot boat. The comedian had a blast describing how these "gererously proportioned" ladies climbed the rope ladder to get on board. Durring the show you could tell who they were, they were the only people not laughing. :eek:

Last year we were on an independent tour in Columbia, which was comprised of folks from at least 3 different ships. The tour didn't go well. There was a couple that was late back from every place we stopped on the tour and it delayed us. Finally a foursome of people spoke up in the back of the bus, saying they were due back to the ship at 2:30 pm....it was 2:20 pm and we were way across town from the port. I felt so sorry for them. The tour operator was not honest with us. He told some it was a 2 hr tour and others it was a 3 hr tour. They thought they had plenty of time until, well,.......it was probably too late. I often wondered what happened with them. I felt bad, but that's part of the risk of a independent tour.

We were on the MSC Orchestra TA from Genoa to Ft. Lauderdale in December 2008. Prior to our docking in St. Thomas, numerous announcements were made that the ship was going to pull away from the dock, turn around and dock again at 7pm (we weren't sailing until 2am).

We were sitting at an outdoor restaurant as the ship sounded her horn and began pulling away. The number of people running down the pier, yelling, was a sight to behold:eek:

We had a good laugh asa we watched them with the horrified expressions on their faces. 30 minutes later, the ship was tied up again not to sail again until after 2am.

Amazing how people don't pay attention to announcements or read the daily newsletter:p

On our last Caribbean cruise, we took a ship sponsored tour in Bonaire (snorkelling off a yacht). We had wanted to do the morning tour, because I get nervous about missing the ship, but it was limited to 8 people and it booked up quickly so we ended up in the afternoon excursion. It was a great excursion, but coming back we were counted in as numbers 15, 14 - even though it was a ship sponsored tour and we were only a few minutes late it was still a little scary coming that close to missing the ship.

This reminds me of the first time I flew to Bermuda - I had never seen a cruise ship in my life. My friend and I went to breakfast on our second morning and were stymied as to how a new hotel had popped up in Hamilton overnight!:eek: Finally, we realized it was a Celebrity ship that had arrived since we had been downtown! I also have to join the folks who would be mortified if I saw someone missing the ship. I know I couldn't afford to add extra airfare and hotel costs to my cruise and take no pleasure from seeing someone else suffer. I do not have a smartphone, but, I think I heard they change the time automatically to whatever time zone you're in? If so, I'm sure this is the main reason people are late, not because they're stupid, selfish or drunk. MOO:)

My husband and I were in Bermuda this past fall, and yes smartphones do change to time zones, but bermuda doesn't do the day light savings time so we had two people miss the ship. You can see them walking slowly and then they notice the ship is moving they start running... It was the goth cruise ( great group of people) no we are not goth btw... And I was told they tried to arrange a helicopter to join the ship, but the captain would not allow that. I always come back one to two hours before the sail time.. Just to safe and not sorry, but that's just me!

Archived