Quantum of the Seas design Revealed!

Rumors everywhere....anyone hear if this ship will be coming up to Bayonne? I love leaving from Bayonne. It is convenient to so many of us from the NE United States and the cruises always have the most interesting passengers. Love cruising on the Explorer but it is showing its age.

Strong and compelling evidence especially in April of 2015 through the Fall of 2015, but nothing official as of yet .

Stay Tuned !!!!

When we were on the Vision last week, the rumors were flying... and let me stress, they were rumors.

The staff rumor was the two ships would be ported in Bayone, NJ and Great Britain. While I suppose this might be eventually the locations, and even though they are more of an all-weather ship, I cannot fathom a new class ship not being based in Florida, at least for it's inaugural year.

Of course, we know how accurate those ship-board rumors are...

The other rumor was that the ships would be a combination of the best features found on both the Oasis class (but likely minus the boardwalk/central park cavities), and the Solstice class ships.

Again, the rumors were flying.

One thing I did note though - and a slightly different topic. You know, on the RCL ships, they often have re-runs of how they built the various class ships. There was a movie about building the Oasis that I have never seen before. One option that was scrapped was a dirigible (airship/blimp) that was launched from the ship while it was underway.

A prototype was built and tested. Even Richard Fain took a joy-ride in it, and was apparently impressed. But at the last minute, the project was scrapped. They really did not say why, but I gathered that they had to fly 200ft high above the ship (perhaps to stay away from the exhaust?), and they apparently felt that was too high for passenger comfort.

I am sure it has been discussed here before, but this was the first I had heard about it.

OasisofSeasBlimp.jpg

Who knows, perhaps the blimp will make a re-appearance in the Quantum?

When we were on the Vision last week, the rumors were flying... and let me stress, they were rumors.

The staff rumor was the two ships would be ported in Bayone, NJ and Great Britain. While I suppose this might be eventually the locations, and even though they are more of an all-weather ship, I cannot fathom a new class ship not being based in Florida, at least for it's inaugural year.

Of course, we know how accurate those ship-board rumors are...

The other rumor was that the ships would be a combination of the best features found on both the Oasis class (but likely minus the boardwalk/central park cavities), and the Solstice class ships.

Again, the rumors were flying.

One thing I did note though - and a slightly different topic. You know, on the RCL ships, they often have re-runs of how they built the various class ships. There was a movie about building the Oasis that I have never seen before. One option that was scrapped was a dirigible (airship/blimp) that was launched from the ship while it was underway.

A prototype was built and tested. Even Richard Fain took a joy-ride in it, and was apparently impressed. But at the last minute, the project was scrapped. They really did not say why, but I gathered that they had to fly 200ft high above the ship (perhaps to stay away from the exhaust?), and they apparently felt that was too high for passenger comfort.

I am sure it has been discussed here before, but this was the first I had heard about it.

OasisofSeasBlimp.jpg

Who knows, perhaps the blimp will make a re-appearance in the Quantum?

Sign me up. I'm there. But man would it suck is the cables broke. I'd have a great view of the ship leaving me. Lol

Sign me up. I'm there. But man would it suck is the cables broke. I'd have a great view of the ship leaving me. Lol

That's actually why it was scrapped. The cable did, in fact, break during a test and the blimp was destroyed when it finally landed in the ocean. I don't think this feature will reappear on the Quantum.

Eric

Rumors everywhere....anyone hear if this ship will be coming up to Bayonne? I love leaving from Bayonne. It is convenient to so many of us from the NE United States and the cruises always have the most interesting passengers. Love cruising on the Explorer but it is showing its age.

That would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

This may just be a rumor, but I heard the Quantum is going to be round and RCCL will build a 180 degree semi-circle terminal at Port Liberty and everyone will be able to embark and disembark simultaneously. Apparently the round design will allow it to skip over the water like a flat rock at close to 43 knots top speed. :) I guess we will just have to wait and see. :mad:

Independence was a new ship and was based out of Southampton for it's inaugural year. I certainly hope the same happens with Anthem of the Seas. RCI seem to want to increase the tonnage out of the UK, with both Indy and Adventure sailing out of Southampton this summer, and Brilliance out of Harwich.

I think they will have Anthem sailing alongside Independence, which would provide a good increase in capacity. In addition to that, Anthem arriving in 2015 would be timed perfectly to compete with P&O Cruises new ship. They did exactly the same in 2008, with the maiden voyage of Independence happening straight after that of Ventura, taking away their media coverage.

Independence was a new ship and was based out of Southampton for it's inaugural year. I certainly hope the same happens with Anthem of the Seas. RCI seem to want to increase the tonnage out of the UK, with both Indy and Adventure sailing out of Southampton this summer, and Brilliance out of Harwich.

I think they will have Anthem sailing alongside Independence, which would provide a good increase in capacity. In addition to that, Anthem arriving in 2015 would be timed perfectly to compete with P&O Cruises new ship. They did exactly the same in 2008, with the maiden voyage of Independence happening straight after that of Ventura, taking away their media coverage.

I would assume if that rumor is true with Anthem being in UK, that it would spend time in both Florida and UK? Or would they do a year round ship in UK? Seems like that would be a cold cruise in the winter.

I would assume if that rumor is true with Anthem being in UK, that it would spend time in both Florida and UK? Or would they do a year round ship in UK? Seems like that would be a cold cruise in the winter.

When Indy did winter cruises out of the UK they were usually 11/12 nights down to the Canaries, and yes it will have been cold for a good few days. If the Quantum class has a pool with a retractable roof as is rumoured, then it would be more suited for that.

I still think though that Anthem would head over to Florida in the winter. Cruises out of the UK just aren't that popular when the weather is so bad in the winter, which I believe is the reason Independence now only spends summer/autumn here.

The retractable roof is useful for the first and last day of the 14 night summer cruises which dominate the UK itinerary. It sometimes isn't that warm crossing the Bay of Biscay, and a covered pool would make it much more enjoyable.

• 2 months later...

I've been trying to find cabin layouts online. I want to know what my options are in time to book! I've seen the video, but would love to see more detail (and pricing!) on the cabins. I wish there were regular balcony cabins on that hump, but it looks like only suites are located there...?

I've been trying to find cabin layouts online. I want to know what my options are in time to book! I've seen the video, but would love to see more detail (and pricing!) on the cabins. I wish there were regular balcony cabins on that hump, but it looks like only suites are located there...?

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/meet-the-ship/deck-plans/

Please check the big sticky at the top of the page.

Sure wish we had the prices and dates of Inaugural and/or Transatlantic. I guess maybe we will get info in the up comming week, sure hope so. I have planned to be here for the last half of Nov and 1st half of Dec so we might be able to those. Really like the D1 cabins so far but have to have prices soon. So hard to plan when we don't know which dates to be able to book and price of the catagories. We really would like to be near an elevator if possible.

Take care...

Irene & Miles

LOYAL to ROYAL

Sure wish we had the prices and dates of Inaugural and/or Transatlantic. I guess maybe we will get info in the up comming week, sure hope so. I have planned to be here for the last half of Nov and 1st half of Dec so we might be able to those. Really like the D1 cabins so far but have to have prices soon. So hard to plan when we don't know which dates to be able to book and price of the catagories. We really would like to be near an elevator if possible.

Take care...

Irene & Miles

LOYAL to ROYAL

Quantum Itineraries through 4/24/2015

Thanks, SB9. Still looking for the sticky you mention, but I'll keep looking. I've sailed the Explorer 3 times and think I am ready to try a new ship!

:)

Sticky is on the rC main page, second one down. It says Quantum. V

Archived