Quantum of the Seas design Revealed!

Then I guess RCL will have to join me in that dispute, since the RCL site lists the breadth at 184 feet. The STX spec is measured at the waterline, not normally where pax would be found.

You should probably stop before you make a fool of yourself. The waterline breadth isn't much less than the breadth all the way up the freeboard, give or take a few metres on either side for the balconies and the slight overhang of the pool deck.

I agree with a previous poster that the promenade is about 10 metres across which seems about right, and Quantum will most definitely have a promenade. That is a given for RCI ships now.

I suspect they will make it wider than the one on Freedom by perhaps reducing the height of the promenade like on Oasis, and eliminating most of the promenade view staterooms.

This is why I wish Royal Caribbean would stop using the extreme breadth values and start using waterline breadth to advertise. It just confuses people, as it is only the bridge which is 184 feet wide, the majority of the ship is around 130.

Here is a picture of the glass elevators from the outside on Jewel. You can see how far inside the enclosure the cars really are.

P1010142_zps1a82388b.jpg

I also don't recall ever seeing the glass as clear and clean as it is in Pomperaugrr's picture.

That's because it is a promotional photo from RCI. There is normally some salt residue and streaking on the glass. ;)

Eric

That's because it is a promotional photo from RCI. There is normally some salt residue and streaking on the glass. ;)

Eric

I know. That is one of the reasons I wouldn't consider similar elevators on Quantum worthy of the hype RCI is trying to build.

I find it interesting to watch the passengers on the glass elevators on the Radii I have been on [Jewel and Radiance]. I don't recall ever seeing anyone really taking the opportunity to look out. Pretty much all of the passengers are facing the door, more concerned about getting where they are going than watching the water. And in the lobbies, I don't think I have ever seen a passenger pass up one of the interior elevators to wait for the glass ones. There may be some interest in the view the first day or so, but beyond that they are just another set of elevators. Of course, that is my experience, and yours may well differ.

You would have seen me looking out, although usually it was to wonder why they weren't cleaning off the salt spray more often.

I wish the elevators were closer to the windows like the Millenium Class, or the HAL Vista Class.

In terms of the Royal Promenade, I would love to see it turned inside out. Instead of walking down the middle and having the shops on either side, put the shops in the middle and have the promenade outside with lots of windows looking out at the sea.

I find it interesting to watch the passengers on the glass elevators on the Radii I have been on [Jewel and Radiance]. I don't recall ever seeing anyone really taking the opportunity to look out. Pretty much all of the passengers are facing the door, more concerned about getting where they are going than watching the water. And in the lobbies, I don't think I have ever seen a passenger pass up one of the interior elevators to wait for the glass ones. There may be some interest in the view the first day or so, but beyond that they are just another set of elevators. Of course, that is my experience, and yours may well differ.

I am one of those people...I just never saw anything special to them. I can look out at the water on my balcony, on deck, or a window in one of the lounges. :)

You would have seen me looking out, although usually it was to wonder why they weren't cleaning off the salt spray more often.

I wish the elevators were closer to the windows like the Millenium Class, or the HAL Vista Class.

In terms of the Royal Promenade, I would love to see it turned inside out. Instead of walking down the middle and having the shops on either side, put the shops in the middle and have the promenade outside with lots of windows looking out at the sea.

I agree completely! The NCL Breakaway has an outside promenade/boardwalk with shops and bars. Looking at the "purported" Quantum architectural models, it apears the superstructure is indented a bit on the sides. Hopefully that will be the indoor/outdoor promenade. It would be awesome to have interior and exterior access to the shops and bars for all weather use.

I am also hoping the Viking Crown Lounge is indeed being placed farther forward, just behind the solarium. That would provide guests with outstanding views forward, instead of mostly the pool area.

Time will tell, and speculation is fun. I am just looking forward to finally boarding the Quantum to check it out for myself!

Eric

I am one of those people...I just never saw anything special to them. I can look out at the water on my balcony, on deck, or a window in one of the lounges. :)

LOL, a kindred spirit. I never saw much excitement in looking at the water through a window. Not that much differect from looking at the ocean on a video screen, which I can do from anywhere. Get me outside where I can see, hear, smell, and sometimes even feel the ocean water.

Then you have never been on a Radiance class ship with me.;)

Look at the model in the video where they display the pool deck, including the outdoor video screen. The structure aft of the pools appears similar to the typical VCL. But it has two [what appear to be from a cardboard model] glassed in levels, the lower one with an outside balcony in the front. I am intrigued by that.

The problem is, that, if this is a lounge, it is at the same level as the stucture in the forward part of the ship so the view to the from would be obstructed.

Exactly! It doesn't have that overhanging, suspended look and it seems low. I know it's crazy to worry about it but I do hope they don't get rid of that feature. It's truly one of my favorite spots onboard!

Just a nice touch. That's all. I don't think anyone would favor a ship class solely on elevators...then again, I've seen people favor for much less.

On that note though, I always liked the ride down the elevator while looking out....almost felt like falling.

One interesting thing which is hinted by the models and the silhouette at the steel cutting ceremony is that the design seems quite 'angular'. Pretty much all RCI ships have designs with a lot of smooth curves, which I think looks really good. I feel Quantum will have a design similar to other recent Meyer Werft ships.

Reminded me of the ugly Epic or some of Princess' blocky ships. :(

Then I guess RCL will have to join me in that dispute, since the RCL site lists the bredth at 184 feet. The STX spec is measured at the waterline, not normally where pax would be found.

The RCCL site identifies the beam as 184 feet (the width of the ship at it's maximum point). The breadth (width at the waterline) is specified in a number of places at 38.6m, or a little over 126 feet.

The biggest issue with Quantum and it's width in the mid section, is can it leave the shipyard (though, maybe they will widen the channel - who knows).

One thing to keep in mind, is that we really don't know at what stage the drawings or models were in the design. If they were early, they could well have evolved to something different. I am particularly interested in the model in the water, as it looks as if the bow wave is pretty high and the bulbous bow looks pretty small. However, it is just a picture, so there is no knowing if this was a test for maximum (in which case, it might not be that bad), or an early test that required hull refinement.

The Freedom Class ships have wrap-around promenade, all balconies (except a few aft looking) with perfect views - what a marvel!

Note 5 balcony decks above lifeboats on the Freedom Class vs 8 decks on the Project.

34y5j14.jpg

This shape would be an enlarged Celebrity clone:

34ew8bb.jpg

Archived