Quantum of the Seas design Revealed!

I'll stand by my assessment that there will not be an interior FOS type mall on this ship. BTW the width of the mall on FOS is approximately 23 meters wide which would not leave any room for interior cabins if FOS was 180 ft only at the bridge wings. Balcony cabins on FOS are about 8 meters long (including the balcony) and if you add a meter for the hallway you'd get to 40 meters before you were able to insert any interior cabins

Then you can dispute the actual ship builder. The breadth of the Freedom is only

38.6 Meters wide. Information below.

http://www.stxeurope.com/sites/Finland/Products/Pages/Cruise%20Ships%20and%20Ferries/Freedom-of-the-Seas.aspx

I'll stand by my assessment that there will not be an interior FOS type mall on this ship. BTW the width of the mall on FOS is approximately 23 meters wide which would not leave any room for interior cabins if FOS was 180 ft only at the bridge wings. Balcony cabins on FOS are about 8 meters long (including the balcony) and if you add a meter for the hallway you'd get to 40 meters before you were able to insert any interior cabins

According to Wikipedia the mall is only 136 meters long, I'm not great at estimating distance but I'd guess it is more than 10 times longer then it is wide, my guess is its about 10m (30ft) wide.

Then you can dispute the actual ship builder. The breadth of the Freedom is only

http://www.stxeurope.com/sites/Finland/Products/Pages/Cruise%20Ships%20and%20Ferries/Freedom-of-the-Seas.aspx

I would also like to point out that the Voyager and Solstice classes have the same breadth as Freedom, so this measurement doesn't have much bering on having or not having a promenade.

it looks like it has outward facing elevators like the Radiance class does. I'll be happy and will try her if she doesn't have a Royal Promenade, I hate those things. That is why I never sail on anything larger than the Radiance class.

I don't know what you're looking at... I'd call wishful thinking on that.

it looks like it has outward facing elevators like the Radiance class does. I'll be happy and will try her if she doesn't have a Royal Promenade, I hate those things. That is why I never sail on anything larger than the Radiance class.

And that is why I try to avoid sailing on anything smaller than a Voyager class ship.

Then I guess RCL will have to join me in that dispute, since the RCL site lists the bredth at 184 feet. The STX spec is measured at the waterline, not normally where pax would be found.

Then I guess RCL will have to join me in that dispute, since the RCL site lists the bredth at 184 feet. The STX spec is measured at the waterline, not normally where pax would be found.

That is her maximum width. Why do you continue to argue the facts? That width includes her bridge wings. Her breadth is the water line/hull width and yes that is where passengers are found. It's called interior and exterior cabins on deck three. I think that a builder of the ship knows how to handle a proper measure.

Maybe this will clear it up for you.

http://www.m-i-link.com/dictionary/default.asp?term=extreme+breadth

It's clear that you're confused but I'm not going to argue with you anymore. We will soon see as RCI starts releasing more information.:rolleyes:

I'm not going to say that the RCL site is wrong in THIS instance. However, the RCL site is notorious for having incorrect information.

The US RCL site lists gross tonnage for Freedom at 160,000 while the UK RCL site lists gross tonnage for Freedom at 154,407. The accepted figure for Freedom is the 154,407 one.

As for breadth, the Freedom is 38.6 meters (126.64 feet) at the waterline and 56.0 meters (183.7 feet) from end of bridge wing to end of bridge wing. Having taken the All Access Tour I would estimate the wings to be about 15 feet each which would make the top deck (by that estimation) about 154 feet wide. Which is still very wide.

http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/our-ships/freedom-class/freedom-of-the-seas/ships-decks-and-facts/#tab-16-4357

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipClassCode=FR&shipCode=FR&br=R

http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/freedomofthesea/

I agree. When I hear angular, I'm thinking Solstice class which came out of Meyer.

Meyer is simply the builder. The navel architechs did the design and RCI had to sign off on it. If Quantum ends up looking like Solstice that would be on RCI.

I don't know what you're looking at... I'd call wishful thinking on that.

On the hydrodynamic model in the video posted here yesterday, there is a molded plastic superstructure. It is somewhat difficult to get specific details from this model [which I don't think is really intended to to test the upper deck design]. But I agree there is an area molded into the plastic that looks similar to the glass elevator enclosure on the Radii. BUT I will repeat, if all they do is rehash features of former ships -- even if they are features I like -- I will be disappointed. I don't see glass elevators as coming anywhere near a "quantum leap in cruise ship design" and certainly not worthy of a "wow."

I find it interesting to watch the passengers on the glass elevators on the Radii I have been on [Jewel and Radiance]. I don't recall ever seeing anyone really taking the opportunity to look out. Pretty much all of the passengers are facing the door, more concerned about getting where they are going than watching the water. And in the lobbies, I don't think I have ever seen a passenger pass up one of the interior elevators to wait for the glass ones. There may be some interest in the view the first day or so, but beyond that they are just another set of elevators. Of course, that is my experience, and yours may well differ.

I'm still concerned about the apparent lack of a Viking Crown Lounge! I just don't see the very distinct look that it has on this new model. Hopefully they are not doing away with one of the best design features of their ships in my opinion!

Look at the model in the video where they display the pool deck, including the outdoor video screen. The structure aft of the pools appears similar to the typical VCL. But it has two [what appear to be from a cardboard model] glassed in levels, the lower one with an outside balcony in the front. I am intrigued by that.

The problem is, that, if this is a lounge, it is at the same level as the stucture in the forward part of the ship so the view to the from would be obstructed.

I remember way back when the rumors of a new ship class first started coming out. The first thing I heard was it was going to combine the best features of both Voyager Class and Radiance Class. If that still holds true, it may have both a RP and outward facing elevators.

I'm still concerned about the apparent lack of a Viking Crown Lounge! I just don't see the very distinct look that it has on this new model. Hopefully they are not doing away with one of the best design features of their ships in my opinion!

I saw that too. I wonder if the VCL will be facing backwards like in the old days.

Two things here, I think we know nothing and RCCL is just messing with us cruise nuts!

The second thing is a question, what are "outward facing elevators"? Like outward over the ocean, to the outside? I never heard of this but if that's what it is I like it. For some reason I can take the glass elevators, I LOVE THEM, but the inside ones, the box type I HATE! Little bit of claustrophobia.

On the hydrodynamic model in the video posted here yesterday, there is a molded plastic superstructure. It is somewhat difficult to get specific details from this model [which I don't think is really intended to to test the upper deck design]. But I agree there is an area molded into the plastic that looks similar to the glass elevator enclosure on the Radii. BUT I will repeat, if all they do is rehash features of former ships -- even if they are features I like -- I will be disappointed. I don't see glass elevators as coming anywhere near a "quantum leap in cruise ship design" and certainly not worthy of a "wow."

I find it interesting to watch the passengers on the glass elevators on the Radii I have been on [Jewel and Radiance]. I don't recall ever seeing anyone really taking the opportunity to look out. Pretty much all of the passengers are facing the door, more concerned about getting where they are going than watching the water. And in the lobbies, I don't think I have ever seen a passenger pass up one of the interior elevators to wait for the glass ones. There may be some interest in the view the first day or so, but beyond that they are just another set of elevators. Of course, that is my experience, and yours may well differ.

I do! :)

If that's what it really is going to look like then it is quite attractive. My one complaint: that great big TV in the middle of the pool deck. Why, why, why ruin a beautiful ship with that monstrosity? Gawd I hate those things.

And I think the great big tv is great and looks really cool. Different strokes.

Two things here, I think we know nothing and RCCL is just messing with us cruise nuts!

The second thing is a question, what are "outward facing elevators"? Like outward over the ocean, to the outside? I never heard of this but if that's what it is I like it. For some reason I can take the glass elevators, I LOVE THEM, but the inside ones, the box type I HATE! Little bit of claustrophobia.

These are the ocean facing elevators on the Radiance class:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAtD3BQmTyS4THplhBvv0OEkEfpo697Bc9SaRknYnhkUQVuUpl

Jewel_Flam_3.JPG

Eric

Archived