Quantum of the Seas design Revealed!

This shape would be an enlarged Celebrity clone:

34ew8bb.jpg

That shape isn't as pronounced on the Solstice class, but it is definitely there on the Disney Dream/Fantasy and the Norwegian Breakaway. I have never really understood it, why not just make the ship the same breadth the whole way up?

I like how the Freedom class is like that, and combined with the high bridge and the windows of the gym, it makes them look really huge from the front, when you compare with the Solstice class here:

8495596069_83fab8db21_h.jpg

Oasis also has a similar look.

That shape isn't as pronounced on the Solstice class, but it is definitely there on the Disney Dream/Fantasy and the Norwegian Breakaway. I have never really understood it, why not just make the ship the same breadth the whole way up?

I like how the Freedom class is like that, and combined

Oasis also has a similar look.

The Disney ships almost look deformed, it's very pronounced. But at the same time, if you look at the Oasis from the back, it looks the exactt opposite, it looks way too top heavy (yet still more attractive than the Disney Fantasy!)

The Disney ships almost look deformed, it's very pronounced. But at the same time, if you look at the Oasis from the back, it looks the exactt opposite, it looks way too top heavy (yet still more attractive than the Disney Fantasy!)

I personally think the Disney ships are some of the most beautiful ships there are on the sea in person.

The most intriguing part...

4u8glt.jpg

Do you think that is some kind open air deck? That would be nice. A couple open air restaurants and bars would be a nice utilization of the space as well. As much as so many whine about the loss of the outdoor promenade on the new ships, I rarely saw more than a few people out there at any given time on the older ships that have them. It is a nice place to take a quiet stroll after a meal but always thought the space is wasted and should have more to do out there.

WOW!

Thanks for making this thread also into a discussion of where it will be cruising and from where...I mean this specific subject hasn't been desecrated enough in other threads :)

I'm hoping to see new ways of doing a "promenade" onboard these ships with some better connection to the sun and lido decks. I'm sure this is one thing RCI is going to WOW us with, but even more a new thinking of how to use the upper decks.

Also want to add that these ships are built by Meyer Werft which are one of the best in its field which combined with RCI's world class (maybe the only real) new built ship team will for sure create something that blows the competition away like they have done the last 10-15 years.

They both follow a great old maritime tradition of always inventing something new in the same way as they did since the beginning of the liner era which is more than you can say of the cruise companies today who claims they are withholding a true maritime style, but still only display bad copies of already copied interiors and exteriors.

I'm hoping to see new ways of doing a "promenade" onboard these ships with some better connection to the sun and lido decks. I'm sure this is one thing RCI is going to WOW us with, but even more a new thinking of how to use the upper decks.

Do you think that is some kind open air deck? That would be nice. A couple open air restaurants and bars would be a nice utilization of the space as well. As much as so many whine about the loss of the outdoor promenade on the new ships, I rarely saw more than a few people out there at any given time on the older ships that have them. It is a nice place to take a quiet stroll after a meal but always thought the space is wasted and should have more to do out there.

Sorta like NCL's new Breakaway? It wouldn't be groundbreaking since another line beat them to it, but I do like the idea.

No. I was thinking of the "Royal Promenade"...inside. Would love to see some more imaginary use of the interior space between the two cabin "towers". To make it more than just a corridor and to better connect the inside space with the top open decks. Like what they did between the promeade and the "Central park" on Oasis and Alure, but now without the open spaces directly above the promenade.

My view of the exterior promenade we're going to see on the Breakaway is that the whole thing started with the open promenade deck above the lifeboats on the Crystal Serenity which later was taken to the next level on the Carnival Dream. Evolution continues and NCL takes it further. Maybe RCL will show us a new way of doing it. Very few ideas just comes out of the blue. Most are evolution of some previous idea. The "Royal Promenade" was done as a concept from the cruise ferry Silja Serenade at first who took the idea from a interior space from one of the transatlantic liners.

After being on the Dream with the open decks.

If there are winds when the ship moves theose decks become useless as you cant even walk outside in higher winds when the ship moves.

I think Norwegian is in for a big suprise going in the Atlantic with hte winds and those open decks ..

Time will tell

WOW!

Thanks for making this thread also into a discussion of where it will be cruising and from where...I mean this specific subject hasn't been desecrated enough in other threads :)

Actually, RCI did manage to pull this off with Oasis and Allure. The skylights on the Promenade bright natural light in from Central Park and I felt that it made quite a difference in atmosphere from the Promenades on the other ships.

it looks like it has outward facing elevators like the Radiance class does. I'll be happy and will try her if she doesn't have a Royal Promenade, I hate those things. That is why I never sail on anything larger than the Radiance class.

I also consider the Radiance class my favorite. Malls are everywhere but the sea is not. That said I really enjoyed the Oasis last October. Will always want a oceanview balcony. :)

In terms of the Royal Promenade, I would love to see it turned inside out. Instead of walking down the middle and having the shops on either side, put the shops in the middle and have the promenade outside with lots of windows looking out at the sea.

Now that's a great suggestion! Hope RCL is reading!:)

Not true, the bit which sticks out at the promenade deck is only a meter or so more than the waterline breadth either side. The extreme value of 184 feet is for the breadth at the bridge wings. I don't think there will be a bit which sticks out on the prom deck, but the balconies will likely have some 'bulges' in them, probably around the elevator areas as is the case on Voyager/Freedom/Oasis. That allows the open 'centrum' bit with the panoramic lifts to be larger, which is why the stateroom corridor actually curves around.

I have NEVER understood this stat...NOBODY goes to the bridge wings except the captain & crew...who cares how wide it is from bridge wing to bridge wing? I want to know the dimensions from port to starboard on the pool deck on both ships, deck 11 on Freedom and deck 15 on Oasis...BTW, I have seen width numbers on Oasis of 126 ft.,154 ft., and 207 ft...Freedom 126 ft.,142 ft.,154 ft., and 184 ft., all on different sites...for ME, the width of ship is the widest point that PASSENGERS can go to...I know the Oasis is wider ( probably 25-30 ft wider than Freedom), because you can see it in the Royal Promenade AND on the pool decks, but so hard to find it written down literally...would love to see the REAL dimensions of these ships....

Big Al

I have NEVER understood this stat...NOBODY goes to the bridge wings except the captain & crew...who cares how wide it is from bridge wing to bridge wing? I want to know the dimensions from port to starboard on the pool deck on both ships, deck 11 on Freedom and deck 15 on Oasis...BTW, I have seen width numbers on Oasis of 126 ft.,154 ft., and 207 ft...Freedom 126 ft.,142 ft.,154 ft., and 184 ft., all on different sites...for ME, the width of ship is the widest point that PASSENGERS can go to...I know the Oasis is wider ( probably 25-30 ft wider than Freedom), because you can see it in the Royal Promenade AND on the pool decks, but so hard to find it written down literally...would love to see the REAL dimensions of these ships....

Big Al

Royal use the extreme breadth because it sounds more impressive on paper. The best value to use is the waterline. On Freedom this is 126 ft, and on Oasis it is 154 ft.

Big Al

In some cases, it is important: what is the space required to allow a ship to fit. Sort of like the hight of an overpass on roads: not to impress, but to make sure a tall vehicle can fit.

Surely, though, it is also a marketing tool for cruise ships to instill massiveness and improve desire to sail on them. e.g. is Voyager or Freedom larger based on limited stats? ...

Royal use the extreme breadth because it sounds more impressive on paper. The best value to use is the waterline. On Freedom this is 126 ft, and on Oasis it is 154 ft.

On both Voyager and Freedom it is 126', so it may be incomplete to just use the waterline.

Thanks 3dog & littlesteelo for the clarification...makes sense therefore why the Royal Promenade on Freedom is 30 ft wide and on Oasis it's 60 ft. wide..there's the 28 ft difference at the waterline more or less...littlesteelo: went to Leeds Castle on my 24th trip to the UK 3 years ago..are you close to there?

Alan

Thanks 3dog & littlesteelo for the clarification...makes sense therefore why the Royal Promenade on Freedom is 30 ft wide and on Oasis it's 60 ft. wide..there's the 28 ft difference at the waterline more or less...littlesteelo: went to Leeds Castle on my 24th trip to the UK 3 years ago..are you close to there?

Alan

Nope, Leeds Castle is in Kent. I am in Leeds, Yorkshire which is in the north of England.

Also 3dog, what do you mean when you say it is 'incomplete' to use the waterline?

Archived