LISTENING NCL? Pre-planning ideas!

DMLyons

I know. Thankfully, most of those aren't things I plan on attending...besides the chocolate buffet. Always a favorite when we cruise. I'll miss a paid reservation to hit that. :D

DML

Ok glad you knew about this. However, you should reconsider some of the parties. Lots of good free food and free drinks. :cool: Note, on the Chocolate Buffet. I bring some zip lock bags with me. Then I get some extra chocolate at the chocolate buffet and take it back to my cabin for later. I do this with cookies too!

Just to clarify that point...

When saying that shows will happen more than once, they mean "more than once on the same night"...IOW at say 7pm and 9pm. They do NOT mean that the same show will take place on two (or more) different nights.

Still works for me. If there is a show at 7 and 9, 7 will fall over dinner, but 9 won't...most days. Since the mystery luncheon is at lunch, I assume they would have to do two days to do it twice? Or am I overthinking that one?

DML

I know. Thankfully, most of those aren't things I plan on attending...besides the chocolate buffet. Always a favorite when we cruise. I'll miss a paid reservation to hit that. :D

DML

Good News: As a suite guest you will be admitted to the Chocoholic Buffet before the general guests are. Your conceirge will notify you of the when and where. Just be sure to tell them when you board that this is one of your "don't miss" activities.

I think too my biggest problem is deciding on time. For my planning my sister would like to do the Teppanyaki dinner for her birthday which is May 3. When I make the reservation I don't know if there is anything else that evening that everyone may wish to attend. That is something that would be helpful. So do I schedule dinner at 6, 7, 8???? When I make the reservation so the day we board, will they at that time know of other things that may be scheduled for the week? If I don't make the reservation and we just show up on the 3rd then we may not be able to be seated. We also have a group of 8 so that makes things a little more difficult too.

I understand the whole freestyle concept, but then I also shouldn't have to make sure I schedule reservations days ahead to make sure I get a meal on the day we want. That isn't freestyle IMO.

I also know I am on a brand new ship, so who knows if they will maintain any kind of schedule. But I do know 7 sea days and no stops in between.

Not NCL (which is why I'm here asking questions, so I can prepare for this in advance), but yes, I have cruised before. And I travel for business and pleasure in general, which means I know how I like to handle travel. And I deal with businesses and customers daily, which means I understand what is possible with today's technology and how important customer suggestions are. What I'm suggesting is not unrealistic at all, though probably wouldn't be available by the time I cruise, even if they adopted something like it.

It seems to me that some people here don't want to be nice and understand anything, so I have to wonder what posts you're reading. Some people do, and thank goodness for them. It's possible to have a discussion that gives me useful information with them. Some people are too busy trying to tell me to go cruise elsewhere. Not helpful. Not germane. Completely and utterly ignored as inconsequential, as it should be.

Honestly, the people who have said they've asked similar questions in the past have given me some of the best information I've seen yet. Most of the rest are the usual suppositions and guesses, and I know from experience that those cannot be trusted as containing any real facts. And nothing that doesn't come from NCL right now is really indicative of the current mindset of NCL. That's just common sense.

DML

Are you saying that people are not nice, because they don't agree with you or are explaining how they feel it would not work? We all have the right to voice our opinions (and many have expertise in many areas of business), that is what forums are for. When I ask questions on here or post an idea, I'm not looking for everyone to agree with me, I'm looking for people to voice their honest opinions on the subject at hand. If I didn't want feed back from others, I would have simply written a private letter to NCL suggesting what changes I thought would work.

To show you how people get upset with changes. On my last cruise (not NCL), they announced after the triva contest where it would be the next day. Well, the person didn't know that the time and place changed and it showed up differently on the daily schedule (two events were mistakenly scheduled for the same room). Well, many didn't read the schedule that morning and showed up at the time they were told the day before and you should have heard the yelling. Can you imagine if the schedules were sent out ahead of time and there were changes and people didn't read the daily schedule....chaos!

Has any of your previous cruises given you the schedules a head of time?

Still works for me. If there is a show at 7 and 9, 7 will fall over dinner, but 9 won't...most days. Since the mystery luncheon is at lunch, I assume they would have to do two days to do it twice? Or am I overthinking that one?

DML

Generally, they will offer the Murder Mystery Lunch once per cruise. However, if the demand is there, they can (and will) put this into the schedule on multiple days.

When I was on the Pride of America, they only had the Chef's Table on one night. The problem was that it conflicted with "Dinner with an Officer" a number of guests commented that they really wanted to do BOTH. As a result, the HD added an additional night for the Chef's Table to accomodate those guests. (and yes, I was one of them ;))

...yet another example of why pre-published schedules are difficult to pull off, right? :o

I think too my biggest problem is deciding on time. For my planning my sister would like to do the Teppanyaki dinner for her birthday which is May 3. When I make the reservation I don't know if there is anything else that evening that everyone may wish to attend. That is something that would be helpful. So do I schedule dinner at 6, 7, 8???? When I make the reservation so the day we board, will they at that time know of other things that may be scheduled for the week? If I don't make the reservation and we just show up on the 3rd then we may not be able to be seated. We also have a group of 8 so that makes things a little more difficult.

I am not a fan of the advanced reservation thing at all. How, will I know what I feel like eating 45 days, a month, or even a week from now? :eek:

I am not a fan of the advanced reservation thing at all. How, will I know what I feel like eating 45 days, a month, or even a week from now? :eek:

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Heck, I don't even know what I'm going to eat TODAY!

Search for it. It was within the last few weeks that the poster mentioned doing it.

He (I believe it was a "he"...could be wrong there) said they cooked the lobster last, specifically to avoid cross-contamination, so yes...I was aware of that and so was everyone who read his message about it. I suppose they have to do the same thing if someone orders shrimp at Teppanyaki, which is typically available at Teppanyaki restaurants in general. It's not a great place to eat if you're allergic, simply because aerosol of the allergen could pose a problem. One of the difficulties of cooking at the table, even if you do have proper ventilation. But those with allergies know that. I don't visit restaurants I know pose a cross-contamination problem for me as a general rule.

DML

When I dine at Teppanayki, all of my food is prepared first and then the chef proceeds on everyone else's including the shrimp appetizer. That was my point - are you going to be mad because someone like me is making you wait for your food and could cause a problem with your scheduling?

OP, I am just going to say have a wonderful cruise and happy 25th anniversary. Hope it is a special time for you. It is mine also this year and we have nothing planned.

I don't care for the reservation system at all either, but we are celebrating my daughter's birthday which is April 25, my sister's is May 3. Mine is later in the month on the 30th and also this trip is for my son's graduation.

My sister really wants do do the Teppanyaki and it fills fast, I don't see a way to get us seated on her birthday without doing a reservation ahead of time.

Normally when cruising say on Carnival they do the shows twice on an evening so both dining rotations are able to see them. Does NCL do the shows say twice on a given evening or just once?

And to the OP:

Again, since this is your first time on NCL....

45 Days before your sailing, you will be able to pre-book specialty dining thru the NCL website. You should be aware that not ALL of the seats in the restaurant are available for pre-booking. NCL does hold back a lot of the seats for those who would rather wait and book on board...as well as for those who have no Internet access ;).

Don't feel like you HAVE to book early, as you simply do not. With the exception of the Teppanyaki Restaurant, you will find that even if you wait until the day of, you can generally get a table in any restaurant you desire. The Teppanyaki has limited seating and thus is a high-demand dining experience. That is one that you'll either want to do in advance or ask the concierge to arrange for you once onboard.

I don't care for the reservation system at all either, but we are celebrating my daughter's birthday which is April 25, my sister's is May 3. Mine is later in the month on the 30th and also this trip is for my son's graduation.

My sister really wants do do the Teppanyaki and it fills fast, I don't see a way to get us seated on her birthday without doing a reservation ahead of time.

Normally when cruising say on Carnival they do the shows twice on an evening so both dining rotations are able to see them. Does NCL do the shows say twice on a given evening or just once?

On NCL, the shows are twice each evening. The exceptions tend to be the "Welcome Aboard Show" which is often only done once (although not always) and (if offered) the crew talent show.

That said...due to the differing configurations in the entertainment venues themselves, shows on Epic (and most likely Breakaway and Getaway) will be repeated over multiple nights. This is something that they have to do to allow everyone on board an opportunity to see each show.

Hi. Please excuse me...I'm new and obvisously no idea what i"m doing! Anyone help me with a query please? Royal Caribbean or NCL? Ta

Try again and start a new thread. ( simply click on the "new thread" button located near the announcements) When you do you will want to put more info into your question since it's quite vague.

Cheers.

Hi. Please excuse me...I'm new and obvisously no idea what i"m doing! Anyone help me with a query please? Royal Caribbean or NCL? Ta

We're all always glad to help here on Cruise Critic. However, when you are posting a new question, it is proper to start a new thread, not to ask the question in an existing thread.

Since you've asked, I should warn you that very general "A or B" questions are probably not going to be answered. Which cruise line depends on YOUR individual likes/dislikes, needs, wants, and budget. There is virtually no way for anyone to tell you what is the "right" option for you...unless they know all of your personal details. We can tell you what WE like, and what WE choose, but that really has nothing to do with what YOU should choose.

Basically, the answer to the "Royal Caribbean or NCL" question is: Whichever one does the best job of satisfying your individual needs, wants, and desires.

DML-

I love freestyle, and for me it has meant being able to plan our vacation exactly how we would like it to be. It's not fair for anyone to say planning doesn't align with freestyle because for many of us it does. For my husband and I planning details builds the excitement rather then detracts from it.

I would love if dailies were posted early but I do understand the logistical problems people are describing. I would love to see a few menus posted, especially since in the 5 years I have been cruising NCL they have changed very little. NCL is a little weak in keeping current on the website, the Jewel still had (has) Tapas listed on the website when it has been gone a long time. I also think there is a little lack of alignment between the pre cruise services (concierge, reservations) and not knowing what is potentially going on once onboard. I think it would be nice if we got a little more current info offered, and I understand all the reasons people are saying it won't happen, but I won't disagree that it would be nice and you aren't the only one who feels that way!

DML-

I love freestyle, and for me it has meant being able to plan our vacation exactly how we would like it to be. It's not fair for anyone to say planning doesn't align with freestyle because for many of us it does. For my husband and I planning details builds the excitement rather then detracts from it.

I would love if dailies were posted early but I do understand the logistical problems people are describing. I would love to see a few menus posted, especially since in the 5 years I have been cruising NCL they have changed very little. NCL is a little weak in keeping current on the website, the Jewel still had (has) Tapas listed on the website when it has been gone a long time. I also think there is a little lack of alignment between the pre cruise services (concierge, reservations) and not knowing what is potentially going on once onboard. I think it would be nice if we got a little more current info offered, and I understand all the reasons people are saying it won't happen, but I won't disagree that it would be nice and you aren't the only one who feels that way!

I would agree that if the menus don't change, it would be great for them to post them as sample menus in the "What's On Board" tab of each ship, like they do the speciality restaurants.

I would agree that if the menus don't change, it would be great for them to post them as sample menus in the "What's On Board" tab of each ship, like they do the speciality restaurants.

Totally agree! And some have changed maybe once or not at all for me in the last 5 years.

We do our "Land" vacations at Omni hotels and they always keep the menu of the every restaurant and bar on their site and there are 43 hotels with all unique restaurants they keep current. I really enjoy this!

Even if NCL just did it for the specialty restaurants and the bar menus, many of which are the same fleet wide.

Totally agree! And some have changed maybe once or not at all for me in the last 5 years.

We do our "Land" vacations at Omni hotels and they always keep the menu of the every restaurant and bar on their site and there are 43 hotels with all unique restaurants they keep current. I really enjoy this!

Even if NCL just did it for the specialty restaurants and the bar menus, many of which are the same fleet wide.

NCL does do it for the specialty restaurants. If you go to "learn about our cruises" on the home page, then go to ships, then pick the ship you want and when in the ship's page, go to "what's on board" and it show all the restaurants and most of the specialty restaurants have "sample menu".

Archived