Nurses Onboard

FKSNIU2014

This is my first time posting on here, but I'm no newbie to cruising (In fact, I've been on 12). Next year I will be graduating from college with a nursing degree, and I was wondering if anyone had any info on nurses on cruise ships. I think working on one would be amazing, but I don't know what lines require in terms of experience or what ship life is like. I figure I should do this type of thing while I'm young and don't have a lot of commitments yet :) Who wouldn't want to cruise 24/7!

My parents are platinum on Carnival and I'm two cruises away :) If I had the choice, Carnival or Princess would be my go to lines so if you know any bits of information I'd love to hear it :)

Edited by FKSNIU2014

This is my first time posting on here, but I'm no newbie to cruising (In fact, I've been on 12). Next year I will be graduating from college with a nursing degree, and I was wondering if anyone had any info on nurses on cruise ships. I think working on one would be amazing, but I don't know what lines require in terms of experience or what ship life is like. I figure I should do this type of thing while I'm young and don't have a lot of commitments yet :) Who wouldn't want to cruise 24/7!

My parents are platinum on Carnival and I'm two cruises away :) If I had the choice, Carnival or Princess would be my go to lines so if you know any bits of information I'd love to hear it :)

It's not like you would be on vacation 24/7. You would be working exceptionally long hours. You wouldn't be able to see family and friends for 6 months at a time. No thanks.

It's not like you would be on vacation 24/7. You would be working exceptionally long hours. You wouldn't be able to see family and friends for 6 months at a time. No thanks.

There's no doubt it would be hard work, I just would love to have the experience for one contract or so. I would like to do it as soon as possible so my main concern is how much experience you need to get hired :)

What a great idea!!! I often wish I was younger and could "cruise/work" for a living. I would contact Carnival or google Carnival employment and see what you could find out.

Best of luck!!

It appears the parents cruise a good bit. They could cruise on the OP's ship.

Hello FLSNIU2014, I'm an RN too, but at the other end of the career spectrum, having retired last year. I agree; I've always thought working on a cruise ship really would be amazing. Unfortunately I married young and had kids early so that career path was out of the question. I think you are smart to pursue this now. If you wait to live your dreams, life tends to get in the way.

As for info, your best bet would be to contact the cruise lines directly and ask what potential there is for a nurse, and what degree, license, experience you would need. I did a quick google for "cruise ship jobs" and found these addresses, among others. It worth checking out.....Good luck.

http://www.carnival.com/careers.aspx

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/ourCompany/career.do

Congratulations on nearly completing your degree!

You would need to get several years experience before being considered for cruise nursing I'm afraid.

ER/ trauma, ICU, that kind of area. Another requirement is likely to be ALS certification and other advanced practice certificates.

It is really hard work - but also a great experience ( I have a good friend who worked on a ship for a season )

Hold on to your dream! :D

I'm a nurse too - qualified over 30 years ago! :eek:

Ah... Another Huskie, do they still have keg-olympics? Congrats. you may want to look into the cruise job websites, I've rarely seen a cruise job offered on monster, or Jobs.com.

http://www.allcruisejobs.com/ Etc.

This is currently on that website:

Reference: 100104QQ

Date: February 2, 2013

Recruiter:Celebrity Cruises

Category: Medical Jobs

Salary: not specified Celebrity Cruises is looking for inspired global professionals who believe in success through commitment and pride to join our expanding family. As an industry leader in service and innovation, we provide a working environment that fosters career growth and development for our onboard team members. With a fleet of innovative cruise ships, each offering guests a premium vacation experience, there are almost countless opportunities to join us at sea. Reports to: Ship's Doctor

Responsibilities include but are not limited to:

The ship's nurse is responsible for providing day-to-day care to the guests and crew in the Infirmary, and responding to emergencies whenever they occur on the ship, under the direction of the ship's physician. The ship's nurse is also required to undertake a variety of administrative functions to maintain the smooth operation of the Infirmary.

Hiring requirements:

Must be a Registered Nurse in the Unites States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zeeland, Ireland, South Africa or European Union, or other country approved by Chief Medical Officer.

3 years of either Emergency or critical care experience.

Current BLS certification is required. Current ACLS certification as and ACLS provided (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) or its equivalent.

Experience or ability to learn simple laboratory, x-ray procedures and venipuncture.

Positive attitude and ability to work with people of different nationalities.

Must have the ability to successfully complete a medication administration exam.

Ability to participate in emergency life-saving drill and required training.

Ability to read, write and speak English clearly and distinctly.

All international applicants must have the ability to obtain a C1/D1 visa (and other relevant visas) when applicable.

All applicants must pass a pre-employment medical examination and be deemed fit for duty at sea.

Basic computer proficiency is required.

Edited by pbsteve

My niece was a nurse on a cruise ship. She met her husband (an accountant) on the cruise ship and they now live in Fort Lauderdale. She got a salary and a percentage of all the Doctor's billings (good money). From what I've seen on our cruises is, the Doctor's office is closed more than it is open. I don't think it's that busy, but occasionally there will be emergencies.

Here's a little bit more info... good luck!! :)

From: http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/fun_jobs/shipboard_medical.aspx

Ship's Nurse

The Ship's Nurses are responsible to care for the nursing needs (routine and emergency needs) of the guests and crew. Registered Nurses with valid registration in the United States, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Ireland, or European Union country with a minimum of three recent years of emergency or critical care nursing experience with competency in emergency/critical care nursing care are eligible to apply. Current BLS certification is required. Current ACLS certification (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) or its equivalent, is highly recommended. Some willingness to learn simple laboratory/x-ray procedures. Must be proficient with IV cannulation and venipuncture. Must have a positive mental attitude and an ability to work with people of different nationalities in a close intense environment. Applicants must pass a medication administration exam, demonstrate adequate experience with nursing procedures on our skills check list and must pass a pre-employment physical examination and be deemed fit for duty at sea. Basic computer knowledge and proficiency is also required. Fluent in English.

To apply for this position please send your resume to: medrecruiting@carnival.com

I hate to burst your bubble, but I am a nurse and can speak from experience. There is no way you know enough to work on a cruise ship. Any job you get as a graduate nurse with no REAL experience will be a learning curve for you. You certainly didn't learn everything you need in nursing school. You learn the very basics and where and how to get the info you need to practice. Included in the where to get the info is your fellow workers, who will be a valuable asset to you as you start your career. I don't know how many nurses there are on a cruise ship, but I doubt that there are enough to be schooling the inexperienced. My instructors in nursing school referred frequently to the day when we would be done with school and would meet the "REAL WORLD". Give yourself sometime in that world before you try to take on morre than you are qualified for.

Great goal, but get a few years experience working in a hospital first. Since they want ER or ICU experience you will likely need to get some hospital experience before you would be eligible to hire into those areas. I've seen some exceptions but it isn't typical.

Definitely though keep the cruise ship job in mind, and apply in the earlier part of your career. I can't find it now but have seen the shift hours - basically a 10 hour shift with a 4 hour break, followed by being on duty all night. Many nurses are used to doing 12 hour shifts, but the cruise ship nurses work far more hours a week than the typical hospital employed RN, even the ones who work full time.

Edited by CanWeGoYet?

My niece was a nurse on a cruise ship. She met her husband (an accountant) on the cruise ship and they now live in Fort Lauderdale. She got a salary and a percentage of all the Doctor's billings (good money). From what I've seen on our cruises is, the Doctor's office is closed more than it is open. I don't think it's that busy, but occasionally there will be emergencies.

Those posted hours are for only when Passengers with NON EMERGENCY conditions are allowed in. You seem to forget there is a crew on board who LIVE on the ship...and they are guaranteed medical care. PLUS, you are on call for ANY emeergency on the ship. Someone after you posted they are on for 10 ours, off for four and on call at all times. And you need to be an experienced nurse - have a few years of ER/ICU experience and having BLS/ACLS certifications before you could even be considered.

OP - Keep it as a dream and work toward getting all the knowledge you need to get a job on board - just realize you will need a few years under your belt before even being considered.

I was told before I graduated (and I have been a nurse for 18 years now), that even up to the point when I have been a nurse for five years, I would still be learning on the job....and my instructors were right! To quote one of my RN orientators...there is nursing school....and then there is the REAL WORLD! And in truth, I still learn some new things all the time as meds and procedures change. Nursing is a career where you continually learn your whole career.

Edited by sailinglisa

I hate to burst your bubble, but I am a nurse and can speak from experience. There is no way you know enough to work on a cruise ship. Any job you get as a graduate nurse with no REAL experience will be a learning curve for you. You certainly didn't learn everything you need in nursing school. You learn the very basics and where and how to get the info you need to practice. Included in the where to get the info is your fellow workers, who will be a valuable asset to you as you start your career. I don't know how many nurses there are on a cruise ship, but I doubt that there are enough to be schooling the inexperienced. My instructors in nursing school referred frequently to the day when we would be done with school and would meet the "REAL WORLD". Give yourself sometime in that world before you try to take on morre than you are qualified for.

I too am a nurse. No one fresh out of school is anywhere qualified to be in the position of working on a ship, or anywhere. That is why a grad works under a preceptor for several weeks or months when a hospital hires you.

Getting out of school is step one, step two is the real nurse training. Get a hospital based job first.

Thank you everyone for all the information! I figured you would need at least a few years of experience, but I was worried it would be closer to 10 years. I have an internship set up for this summer with a guaranteed hiring in the department I intern in. This will be a big help when I choose which department I want. Looks like ER or ICU!! Hopefully after a few years of working and living with my parents I'll be ready to attempt a contract or two on a ship :) My BF is about to start his Masters in engineering so maybe I can convince him to study Naval engineering and join me!

I had a coworker, young and single, worked in ICU for 3 years and started on a cruise line. She said for the most part it was all routine with occassional true emergencies. She did only one contract for 6 months. She said that although the MD's office was closed, she had to be there long hours and had little time for herself. She said it is truly not as glamorous as she thought.

Edited by kdkinsel

If I could do it all over again...go for it! I wanted to be a travelling RN before family responsibilities came along. Do Critical Care nursing in an ICU or ED, preferably a Level I Trauma Center so you'll see and learn alot. Get every certification you can.

You will have to be comfortable dealing with every situation from a simple cold to unexpected traumas or sudden-death situations, where your actions will be critical.

Best of luck! It has been a wonderful career choice for me, and my salary and time off has allowed me to cruise!

Jan (Neuroscience ICU RN)

As a nurse in a specialty area for over 2o years. I agree with most of the post above. Get yourself to a Level I Trauma center and get some experience. I Travelled for many years and I can not put enough importance on experience. Take it from some one who knows about working in areas where you are it. The only nurse. You had better know what you are doing.

As a semi-retired ED/ Trauma male nurse, all the above advise is stated well. It is not likely that a cruise line is going to hire a new nursing grad, so you must gain experience, particularly in emergency medicine. Most Emergency Departments also require experience so try to start in a Med Surg unit or try for a new grad fellowship in MICU or SICU. After a few years experience, and yes, you will need ACLS and perhaps even PALS certification, as well as CEN and/or CCRN certification would be helpful, then take a hard look at just what is expected of a ship RN.

I have spent my entire career in a Level One Trauma ED, and continue there, part-time, even after retiring in 2011. The first thing I noticed about the responsibilities of a ship nurse, when I inquired, is the fact that they are everything: nurse, lab worker, tech, respiratory, registration, PA, they do it all. So, experience in all the faucets of running an emergency department are needed if you work on a ship. Congrats on your upcoming graduation, get some really good experience and then go for ship nursing if that is your calling. :)

Edited by PROCRUISE

I am a radiographer and had always considered working on a cruise ship but from what I understand the ships that do actually have x-ray equipment don't actually employ radiographers, can someone confirm that for me please?

Thank you everyone for all the information! I figured you would need at least a few years of experience, but I was worried it would be closer to 10 years. I have an internship set up for this summer with a guaranteed hiring in the department I intern in. This will be a big help when I choose which department I want. Looks like ER or ICU!! Hopefully after a few years of working and living with my parents I'll be ready to attempt a contract or two on a ship :) My BF is about to start his Masters in engineering so maybe I can convince him to study Naval engineering and join me!

Congratulations on your exuberance, planning, and beginning your internship and career..best of life to you!!! Keep the enthusiasm....I am very grateful to nurses who stay balanced and happy...Sarah

As a former cruise ship officer, I would say go for the adventure, but realize that it is a job, not a vacation.

Actually, the clinic hours for crew is even more restricted than for the passengers, and your normal day will be about 10 hours, seven days a week, for the length of your contract, usually 10 months.

I would say that both ICU and ER experience would be assets. As Staff Chief Engineer, one of my duties was to be in charge of all emergencies. In addition to the fire teams, and security teams, I controlled the use of the medical teams for emergencies. As with all crew, the medical staff is on call 24/7 for emergencies. One of the most important duties of the nurse is triage. The doctor will remain in the medical center, and the nurse will respond with a stretcher team to the site of the emergency and will have to perform a triage and first response care.

You will see it all onboard, just like an ER. From gastro disease, to cuts and scrapes, to forgotten meds, to cardiac arrests, and life threatening injuries. And I can think of no worse place to work than a cruise ship infirmary when there is an outbreak of noro virus!

As a former cruise ship officer, I would say go for the adventure, but realize that it is a job, not a vacation.

Actually, the clinic hours for crew is even more restricted than for the passengers, and your normal day will be about 10 hours, seven days a week, for the length of your contract, usually 10 months.

I would say that both ICU and ER experience would be assets. As Staff Chief Engineer, one of my duties was to be in charge of all emergencies. In addition to the fire teams, and security teams, I controlled the use of the medical teams for emergencies. As with all crew, the medical staff is on call 24/7 for emergencies. One of the most important duties of the nurse is triage. The doctor will remain in the medical center, and the nurse will respond with a stretcher team to the site of the emergency and will have to perform a triage and first response care.

You will see it all onboard, just like an ER. From gastro disease, to cuts and scrapes, to forgotten meds, to cardiac arrests, and life threatening injuries. And I can think of no worse place to work than a cruise ship infirmary when there is an outbreak of noro virus!

Is it most common to have one nurse and one doctor? Or are there more if ship is over such and such size?