Is RCI the best cruise line?

I don't believe Carnival just extending their existing ship design and offering "new" ships that are basically just bigger is really offering guests change and doing anything new. I feel they could be more imaginative, but stick with the "same old" to keep costs down.

My point is that Royal Caribbean has pioneered such innovations like ice skating rinks, rock climbing walls and taken such drastic steps in ship building to truly create a "like none other" cruise experience. If you want to compare, Carnival's new builds just extend their existing ship design, there is no real redesign. Royal Caribbean's newer ships are considered industry "game changers" and that hasn't been said about any other line.

In my opinion Royal Caribbean stands at the front of the industry and other lines "watch" to see what happens next and then replicate on their new ships. There is no denying with the awards Royal Caribbean has won for all their innovative achievements. Not fanaticism, just stating my opinion. Their efforts are obviously working as lines keep copying their ideas. And that is not to say that Royal Caribbean hasn't taken some ideas from other lines as well, like the pool televisions.

I'm not sure NCL watches to see what happens next. They have had some true innovations as well, such as a private island (they were the first), dedicated singles cabins and gathering area, freestyle cruising, private high-end suites area, major entertainment productions (Blue Man Group, Cirque), "Waterfront" area, and "wave" cabins (like them or hate them).

Depends on the individual but RCI rates very high in my book. I like them better than other lines that I have cruised. Much better. We continue to step out and try other lines but continue coming back to RCI. They are hands down the leader in pushing the envelope in ship design. I also feel that hands down they have the best crew and past guest perks. Their weak spot for me are the suite perks.

Gaining weight on cruises is a big issue for me, too. I can totally understand your love of desserts, and I also am a big fan of bread in the dining room. Here are some ways I have learned to keep from gaining so much weight. (Some have already been suggested.)

Take the stairs whenever possible.

Walk, walk, walk when in port. If it's safe and the weather is not threatening, walk to your destination if possible. Or even if you don't have a destination, just walk around to see the port area.

Limit your alcohol intake. Okay, I'm still working on this one.;) But seriously, try to limit the fruity, sugary drinks and stick to things like beer, wine, and drinks like rum and diet coke. I let myself have one Mango Tango or Bahama Mama per day. On one cruise, I went crazy for Miami Vices. I had three a day. Gained 10 pounds that cruise...

Only eat what you like. If you get something at dinner and don't like it, leave it and ask for something else. Or save room for dessert.

Avoid the Windjammer. Too many tempting choices! I always overeat there.

Order a salad with grilled chicken or shrimp for dinner instead of what they offer. I've never actually done this, but a lady at my table did and her salad looked so good!

Like I said, some of these have already been mentioned, and some of these may not work for everybody, but on my last two cruises (4 day and 7 day) I didn't gain weight!

Good luck!!:D

The only thing I don't like about cruises is they are bad if you can't control your eating. I can't resist to eat if I have the option of nice food. I put on so much weight after both cruises.

I just seem to think that by reading all your posts and opinions that RCI is the best.

If anyone can share some willpower tips to avoid overheating then please share!

Love to all you cruisers and long live the seas

Xxxx

My last two cruises I've actually LOST weight. How?

1. No seconds.

2. 1 foo-foo drink a day and no more

3. Minimal Windjammer eating. And if eating in the Windjammer, 1 plate only and with no food piled on top of other food.

4. Lots of walking in port

5. An aft cabin means you have to walk half the length of the ship just to get to the stairs.

6. All stairs and no elevators.

7. Step away from the ice cream machine! My mother gained 5 pounds just from her ice cream habit on our first cruise. 1 a day is enough.

8. No afternoon tea or snacks. 3 meals a day and that's it.

9. Drink lots of water and no sodas.

10. 1 cookie at lunch and 1 dessert at dinner. No more.

Now, if you REALLY want to eat and enjoy your cruise by enjoying all the wonderful food offerings on board the ship, then you just need to accept the fact that you most likely will gain weight on your cruise. But if during your cruise your clothes start to feel tight, then it's time to ramp back and be a bit more stern with your eating habits.

Instead of having an overflowing gigantic serving spoon size of something, put a tablespoon size on your plate instead. That way you can try everything but no go overboard.

Those are just a few suggestions for you.

Good luck!

No, RCI is not the best for sure. BUT....if its good for you then hey...go with it! I have been on about 10 cruises and haven't gained any weight.

1. Get up and go to the gym first thing everyday.

2. No more than one frozen drink per day

3. Beer only during the day...Mic Ultra...very light

4. Load up on salad and protein at lunch...don't put dressing on your salad...only dip your fork in a non cream based dressing. If you eat a roll than no dessert. I always pick a nice small decadent dessert.

5. I do not in between meals because they are generally larger on the cruise than when I am at home.

6. STAIRS

7. One roll/bread a dinner only. Always leave food on your plate. I avoid soup due to the sodium and always get a dessert but eat half

I work hard to look super sexy in my bikini and I am not about to ruin that on the cruise by pigging out..lol. :D

I'm not sure NCL watches to see what happens next. They have had some true innovations as well, such as a private island (they were the first), dedicated singles cabins and gathering area, freestyle cruising, private high-end suites area, major entertainment productions (Blue Man Group, Cirque), "Waterfront" area, and "wave" cabins (like them or hate

them).

I have to agree here. We really enjoy RC but are excited to try the new Breakaway. With this ship NCL has totally focused on outside areas, which it where we like to be. We do not have a "best" Our favorite would be Celebrity, and RC.

http://quassmedia.com/cruisevids/?p=1082#

You can also save thousands of calories & retain your pleasure by drinking diet sodas, which a lot of those people are doing.

Richard.

Do a bit of research on Diet Soda :eek: It makes you hungry so you eat more it makes you thirsty so you drink more and then eat more;)

Ok for diabetics but no way any good for watching calories as it makes you crave carbohydrates which in turn adds to weight gain!

I thought everyone was aware of the Diet Soda facts:confused:

Den

Do a bit of research on Diet Soda :eek: It makes you hungry so you eat more it makes you thirsty so you drink more and then eat more;)

Ok for diabetics but no way any good for watching calories as it makes you crave carbohydrates which in turn adds to weight gain!

I thought everyone was aware of the Diet Soda facts:confused:

Den

From a former Diet Pepsi addict, THIS IS SO TRUE! ;)

You can also save thousands of calories & retain your pleasure by drinking diet sodas, which a lot of those people are doing.

Richard.

Why is it so many people that drink diet soda are actually obese?

Diet drinks are very, very bad for you.

New French studies are showing consuming diet drinks has a 33% increased risk for Type 2 diabetes & that's consuming just 1 can of diet soda a week.

A study from Texas in 2011 had these results:

Test participants who consumed two or more diet sodas a day experienced waist size increases that were a shocking six times greater than those who did not drink diet soda.

Diet drinks can cause insulin spikes like normal sugar which is what helps body to store fat.

They are just chemicals disguised as a guilt free pleasure, but the sad thing is that they are not consequence free.

So any soda, diet or not is bad for you, there is no way around it I'm afraid, avoid soda wherever possible.

Water is the only true 'diet drink' & drinking more water will actually help you lose weight.:)

Nobody can categorically state any cruise line is the best or not the best in what they offer the cruise passenger etc, it is what is best for you at a certain time in your life.

Some cruise lines are known for attracting a younger or older crowd as are certain itinieraries, so you may find this has a bearing on what line or destination suits you depending on your current age group for example.

In twenty years though you may choose a different cruise line for the same reason.

It's all subjective & relative to the individual.

Other things like safety are different alltogether though & this is determined by facts not opinion, so in that regards some cruise lines are better than others.

Awards given to cruise lines by the industry & voted on by the cruising public will indicate which cruise lines are the most likely to be ticking all the boxes than others, so can be a useful guide.

I find the decor of certain cruise lines has an effect on my perception as I'm a very visual person, whereas others couldn't care less about that & are inticed by cabin size or lowest prices etc.

Whatever 'floats your boat' as they say.:)

For now I'm happy with Royal & I'm taking advantage of the C&A loyalty program, but in a few years I may try something else, but I'm in no rush.;)

Why is it so many people that drink diet soda are actually obese?

Diet drinks are very, very bad for you.

New French studies are showing consuming diet drinks has a 33% increased risk for Type 2 diabetes & that's consuming just 1 can of diet soda a week.

A study from Texas in 2011 had these results:

Test participants who consumed two or more diet sodas a day experienced waist size increases that were a shocking six times greater than those who did not drink diet soda.

Diet drinks can cause insulin spikes like normal sugar which is what helps body to store fat.

They are just chemicals disguised as a guilt free pleasure, but the sad thing is that they are not consequence free.

So any soda, diet or not is bad for you, there is no way around it I'm afraid, avoid soda wherever possible.

Water is the only true 'diet drink' & drinking more water will actually help you lose weight.:)

Well said.

Do diet drinks contribute to obesity, or does obesity cause people to consume more diet drinks? A lot of research has gone into this. That research seems to indicate that diet drinks contribute to obesity.

With all those stairs, it's really hard to gain weight. It's up to the Windjammer for breakfast, then down to the trivia contest, then up to the pool, then down to the room to freshen up, then up for lunch, then down for the guess that tune show, then up to the pool, then a walk around the deck, then back down to freshen up before dinner...etc. etc.

As for making the right choices about what you eat, well, that's just something you have to decide to do yourself. Try the more sensible main dining room for breakfast and lunch. Just have some fruit and coffee for breakfast, and the salad bar for lunch. Keep using the stairs all day, then enjoy a nice dinner.

Archived