Is RCI the best cruise line?

I really like these forums. There are so many people who seem lo love cruises and some are obsessed with them like I find I am becoming

We did our first ever cruise last March/April and it was a very new thing. We were on liberty of the seas for 4 nights. It was crazy. 4000 people on a big floating city and we were waited on and treated so well. We ate so much, it went so quick and it was very surreal.

We did our second cruise in November on Radiance and we had 14 nights around New Zealand. It was wonderful. The most relaxing holiday of my life.

The staff on both ships were so wonderful and the ships were great. We loved them so much. We have booked another cruise on liberty in April. We can't imagine going with anyone but RCI because they were so good I can't imagine them being beaten. I have become obsessed with cruising looking at websites for hours on end and reading reviews and fantasising about when I will get to go on Allure. When I read the reviews I think wow. That's how I felt.

The only thing I don't like about cruises is they are bad if you can't control your eating. I can't resist to eat if I have the option of nice food. I put on so much weight after both cruises.

I just seem to think that by reading all your posts and opinions that RCI is the best.

If anyone can share some willpower tips to avoid overheating then please share!

Love to all you cruisers and long live the seas

Xxxx

I really like these forums. There are so many people who seem lo love cruises and some are obsessed with them like I find I am becoming

We did our first ever cruise last March/April and it was a very new thing. We were on liberty of the seas for 4 nights. It was crazy. 4000 people on a big floating city and we were waited on and treated so well. We ate so much, it went so quick and it was very surreal.

We did our second cruise in November on Radiance and we had 14 nights around New Zealand. It was wonderful. The most relaxing holiday of my life.

The staff on both ships were so wonderful and the ships were great. We loved them so much. We have booked another cruise on liberty in April. We can't imagine going with anyone but RCI because they were so good I can't imagine them being beaten. I have become obsessed with cruising looking at websites for hours on end and reading reviews and fantasising about when I will get to go on Allure. When I read the reviews I think wow. That's how I felt.

The only thing I don't like about cruises is they are bad if you can't control your eating. I can't resist to eat if I have the option of nice food. I put on so much weight after both cruises.

I just seem to think that by reading all your posts and opinions that RCI is the best.

Xxxx

If you are able, use stairs instead of elevator. It always helps me. Sometimes I even lose weight on a cruise. I also concentrate on eating protein, vegetables and fruits. I do eat desserts, but not as much as I'd like. I know it is hard, and it is a challenge, but I think being active is the key. You can also walk the promenade or track. I never use the gym, but that is available too. Of course, it is all about the willpower.

Gwen :)

I don´t think any cruise line can be rated as "THE BEST". It´s all about what you are looking for. There are so many aspects about a cruise vacation and some of them are more important for any individual than others.

I do love the RCI product, but I do cruise on other lines as well.

If you are satisfied with a product there´s nothing wrong with sticking to it and yes it might be the best fit for you. Of course you can´t know for sure until you have something to compare to;) Then again I realize one might not want to jeopardize with ones vacation time and money.

I couldn´t answer for myself the question about "THE BEST" as I loved all my cruises and they all had good and not so good aspects, but none have been in a way I would say I´d never be back. Though I could name the one line which would be the one at the bottom.

Go ahead and enjoy your cruises it´s all a matter of personal preference.

We love Royal as well.

Weight gain on cruises as you say can be the down side of cruising, but just because it's there doesn't mean you have to eat it all, just like you don't empty your fridge every meal time.:D

Start off by losing a few pounds/kilos before the cruise.;)

Don't always use the WJ, having more meals in main dining room can limit portion control.

As mentioned using the stairs is good, both up & down, not just down.

Use the gym, you can easily burn off several hundred calories in less than half an hour. Try some interval training as it helps keep your metabolism revved up for longer after you stop exercising.

If you don't know how to use the machines, just ask someone, most people will be happy to help explain the basics.

Spread your food intake into smaller meals through the day rather than grouped in 3 large meals, this also helps your body's metabolism.

Move, move , move, if you take every opportunity to move you will be better off. Take the long route to the Windjammer, dance after dinner at the disco, swim etc.

Avoid bread rolls with dinner, you don't need the extra carbs/calories, save those for the deserts.;)

But say no to the deserts every few meals if you can.:eek:

The milky cocktails contain more calories than the clear ones so try to limit those, a mudslide or pina colada can be over 500 calories for example.

Drinks lots of water, it will keep you feeling fuller & actually helps aid weight loss - thirst from mild deydration can often be mistaken for hunger.

Avoid the soda/soft drinks as much as possible, they are just empty calories & chemicals that you really don't need.

When I see people with soda packages sucking away on their soda cups all day I wonder how they can do it. It's all bad & you save thousands of calories by drinking water instead, plus your body will thank you for it.

Yes I know water can be boring, but you get used to it.

But overall, enjoy your cruise & don't be too dissapointed if you put on a few pounds/kilos, just make sure to lose it again within a few weeks of getting home, otherwise you will have a permanent reminder of each cruise stuck on your behind!:D

Plus keeping a healthy body weight means less chance of being a victim of the type 2 diabetes epidemic sweeping the western world.:(

Hope that's helpful!

Xxxx

No willpower required if you never, ever take the elevator.

My first cruise I put on 6 kilos in 10 nights and swore that would never happen again!

Next two cruises took the stairs no matter how many decks I had to go and was able to eat every single course guilt free with desserts at both lunch and dinner.

Enjoy the food and walk it off :)

As for the best cruise line? I haven't tried them all yet ;)

RCCL works for me. No need to try elsewhere at the moment though itineraries may very well kick in down the line.

I'm currently undergoing a weight loss programme. I eat what I want when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. I eat consciously and enjoy the experience. As a result I'm eating less and losing weight :D There's a bit more to it than that (think Paul McKenna) but that's the gist.

Xxxx

Glad to see another new addict in our midst!

If you're enjoying your experience on Royal, that's great. But don't be mislead by the "fanatacism" you sometimes find here. All the major lines are really much more similar than distinct. They all have their strengths and shortcomings. And while one might maintain the preferred balance from some, others will be to someone else's liking.

There are so many Royal ships and itineraries, you certainly won't get bored for a while. But I would also encourage you to keep your eyes open on other lines and offers as well.

I doubt it's the best cruise line, but its the BEST cruiseline for my pocketbook and also works in favor of the age group since my daughter and I cruise together.

Weight gain on cruises as you say can be the down side of cruising, but just because it's there doesn't mean you have to eat it all, just like you don't empty your fridge every meal time.:D

It took us 3 cruises before we came to this realization!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

We love Royal as well.

Start off by losing a few pounds/kilos before the cruise.;)

Don't always use the WJ, having more meals in main dining room can limit portion control.

As mentioned using the stairs is good, both up & down, not just down.

Use the gym, you can easily burn off several hundred calories in less than half an hour. Try some interval training as it helps keep your metabolism revved up for longer after you stop exercising.

If you don't know how to use the machines, just ask someone, most people will be happy to help explain the basics.

Spread your food intake into smaller meals through the day rather than grouped in 3 large meals, this also helps your body's metabolism.

Move, move , move, if you take every opportunity to move you will be better off. Take the long route to the Windjammer, dance after dinner at the disco, swim etc.

Avoid bread rolls with dinner, you don't need the extra carbs/calories, save those for the deserts.;)

But say no to the deserts every few meals if you can.:eek:

The milky cocktails contain more calories than the clear ones so try to limit those, a mudslide or pina colada can be over 500 calories for example.

Drinks lots of water, it will keep you feeling fuller & actually helps aid weight loss - thirst from mild deydration can often be mistaken for hunger.

Avoid the soda/soft drinks as much as possible, they are just empty calories & chemicals that you really don't need.

When I see people with soda packages sucking away on their soda cups all day I wonder how they can do it. It's all bad & you save thousands of calories by drinking water instead, plus your body will thank you for it.

Yes I know water can be boring, but you get used to it.

But overall, enjoy your cruise & don't be too dissapointed if you put on a few pounds/kilos, just make sure to lose it again within a few weeks of getting home, otherwise you will have a permanent reminder of each cruise stuck on your behind!:D

Plus keeping a healthy body weight means less chance of being a victim of the type 2 diabetes epidemic sweeping the western world.:(

Hope that's helpful!

Excellent post, I agree completely.

You can also save thousands of calories & retain your pleasure by drinking diet sodas, which a lot of those people are doing.

Richard.

Thanks everyone. I know I need to try and use moderation.

I am going to make a conscious effort to use only the stairs on my next cruise. I put on 9 kilos on my 14 day cruise so if I can put 3-4 on that would be ok with me

You have no idea how much pleasure I get from desserts. There is an ice cream machine that you can help yourselves to and when I eat ice cream there is a part of me inside that oozes with pleasure. I think ice cream is better than sex, better than anything.

On my last cruise they had an afternoon tea in the windjammer at 3.30 2 hours before our dinner sitting. They had bread and butter pudding everyday. And they had whipped cream and white chocolate buttons. I was in heaven. My partner got upset with me because I wanted seconds.

I am dreaming of our next cruise.

I really like everything so far with RCI

When I explain to people who have never cruised they don't seem interested. To don't think you can understand how fantastic they are until you've been on one

I love this forum as there are so many people addicted to cruising

What a wonderful addiction

I will change my username to stairclimber

Xxxx

While no cruise line can be voted "the best" because of differing opinions, I think it is fair to say that Royal Caribbean tries really hard to be the best cruise line for all people. The amount of money and time they put into food, entertainment, ship maintenance and upgrades, public relations (webisodes on what they are doing next) and consistent innovation of new ships speaks volumes of how much they truly care about the passengers experience that sail on their vessels. Which is why their past passenger program (Crown & Anchor Society) has so many members and why so many people feel like Royal Caribbean is the best.

DW and I haven't found the "Best" cruise line yet. We have sailed on 3 different lines (21 cruises), and haven't had a real bad experience yet. As posted, most lines have things we like and things we would rather avoid, but generally speaking, nothing to steer us to just 1 line. We are Loyal to cruising, not 1 line.

That said, IMO, you can't go wrong with RCI.:D

Thanks everyone. I know I need to try and use moderation.

I am going to make a conscious effort to use only the stairs on my next cruise. I put on 9 kilos on my 14 day cruise so if I can put 3-4 on that would be ok with me

You have no idea how much pleasure I get from desserts. There is an ice cream machine that you can help yourselves to and when I eat ice cream there is a part of me inside that oozes with pleasure. I think ice cream is better than sex, better than anything.

On my last cruise they had an afternoon tea in the windjammer at 3.30 2 hours before our dinner sitting. They had bread and butter pudding everyday. And they had whipped cream and white chocolate buttons. I was in heaven. My partner got upset with me because I wanted seconds.

I am dreaming of our next cruise.

I really like everything so far with RCI

When I explain to people who have never cruised they don't seem interested. To don't think you can understand how fantastic they are until you've been on one

I love this forum as there are so many people addicted to cruising

What a wonderful addiction

I will change my username to stairclimber

Xxxx

All that talk about the food, now you are making me hungry. And I have a cruise coming up in 9 days. I just hope I can follow my own advice as well as the other excellent advice on this thread.......:p

Gwen :)

While no cruise line can be voted "the best" because of differing opinions, I think it is fair to say that Royal Caribbean tries really hard to be the best cruise line for all people. The amount of money and time they put into food, entertainment, ship maintenance and upgrades, public relations (webisodes on what they are doing next) and consistent innovation of new ships speaks volumes of how much they truly care about the passengers experience that sail on their vessels. Which is why their past passenger program (Crown & Anchor Society) has so many members and why so many people feel like Royal Caribbean is the best.

Wow. Spoken like a true RCI infomercial!:D

So, the new builds, innovations, enhancements to food and entertainment that have been made in recent years by NCL, Princess, Carnival, Holland America, Cunard, and many others DON'T "speak volumes of how much they truly care about the passengers experience that sail on their vessels." Those lines must just be in it for the money? As opposed to the altruistic leadership at RCI!:rolleyes:

To the OP, this is some of the "fanatacism" I mentioned in my earlier post!;)

I don´t think any cruise line can be rated as "THE BEST". It´s all about what you are looking for. There are so many aspects about a cruise vacation and some of them are more important for any individual than others.

I do love the RCI product, but I do cruise on other lines as well.

If you are satisfied with a product there´s nothing wrong with sticking to it and yes it might be the best fit for you. Of course you can´t know for sure until you have something to compare to;) Then again I realize one might not want to jeopardize with ones vacation time and money.

I couldn´t answer for myself the question about "THE BEST" as I loved all my cruises and they all had good and not so good aspects, but none have been in a way I would say I´d never be back. Though I could name the one line which would be the one at the bottom.

Go ahead and enjoy your cruises it´s all a matter of personal preference.

Agree with this. Glad you've enjoyed your cruises. I felt the same way after my first cruise on HAL. I still like HAL but would have missed a lot of other wonderful experiences had I not tried other lines. We choose based on price and itinerary and that leads us to several lines of choice, including RCCL that we will sail in April.

appleosprey - I have been on 4 different cruise lines and for me, an active man in his 30s, I do favor RCI. You said you were on Liberty. In my opinion, other cruise lines just cannot compare to ships like that.....and that wasn't even the biggest and best RCI has to offer. So to answer your question, yes, I do think RCI is the best. You really want to be blown away? Go on Oasis.

The food is a tough one. Only you can moderate yourself when it comes to food. Personally, when I know I am going to eat more than usual, I limit sugar and carbs and use the stairs as much as possible.

I can say without hesitation that Royal is the best line I've sailed on. Of course it remains the ONLY line I've sailed on. There are two reasons for this:

FIRST: if it ain't broke don't fix it. I can not imagine getting a better value for my vacation dollar. I have never waked off a cruise feeling anything less than totally satisfied.

SECOND: Crown and Anchor Program. The benefits add to our enjoyment of the cruise. They are an incentive to stay loyal. That's why, when we do go somewhere else, it will almost certainly be Celebrity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, it is not the best....but is a fantastic cruiseline. We returned from Vision of Seas in Caribbean early February, and that cruise was amongst the top 3 of the 27 cruise experiences we have. It was simply awesome, and MDR service was equal best we ever had. We have cruised 253 nights, 11 cruiselines, with 43 of those nights on RCI. Some of the other lines we have used are:

Cunard

NCL

Holland America

Celebrity

Costa

MSC

P&O

We would sail all of them again in a heartbeat...we tend to cruise for itinery experience. Of those, we would be least inclined with Costa but, even then, would for the right itinery at the right price!

Welcome to the "cruising club"!!

I'm guessing that if you were to peruse the Disney board, based on their posts and opinions, you'd think Disney was the best. And if you perused the Carnival board, based on their posts and opinions, you'd think Carnival was the best. And if you perused the HAL board, based on their posts and opinions, you'd think that HAL was the best.

I think you get my point. ;)

Wow. Spoken like a true RCI infomercial!:D

So, the new builds, innovations, enhancements to food and entertainment that have been made in recent years by NCL, Princess, Carnival, Holland America, Cunard, and many others DON'T "speak volumes of how much they truly care about the passengers experience that sail on their vessels." Those lines must just be in it for the money? As opposed to the altruistic leadership at RCI!:rolleyes:

To the OP, this is some of the "fanatacism" I mentioned in my earlier post!;)

I don't believe Carnival just extending their existing ship design and offering "new" ships that are basically just bigger is really offering guests change and doing anything new. I feel they could be more imaginative, but stick with the "same old" to keep costs down.

My point is that Royal Caribbean has pioneered such innovations like ice skating rinks, rock climbing walls and taken such drastic steps in ship building to truly create a "like none other" cruise experience. If you want to compare, Carnival's new builds just extend their existing ship design, there is no real redesign. Royal Caribbean's newer ships are considered industry "game changers" and that hasn't been said about any other line.

In my opinion Royal Caribbean stands at the front of the industry and other lines "watch" to see what happens next and then replicate on their new ships. There is no denying with the awards Royal Caribbean has won for all their innovative achievements. Not fanaticism, just stating my opinion. Their efforts are obviously working as lines keep copying their ideas. And that is not to say that Royal Caribbean hasn't taken some ideas from other lines as well, like the pool televisions.

Archived