Zuiderdam vs Volendam ??

crusingici

I have never cruised but understand that both these ships will be doing RT next summer (2006) to Alaska. I know they are 2 different types of ships but I do not understand why one type would be preferred over the other. The largeness and more folks on the ship does not seem to be an issue with us - -anything else anyone would suggest for us to know in order to decide which type ship to try to book - - based on the ship itself and not the itineary??

Thanks so much for your expertise!

Gici

The Zuiderdam is a larger ship than the Volendam. However, the passenger/space ratio is still very good. The Zuiderdam is a little more "flashy" in its decor than the Volendam, but both are clearly Holland America ships. The difference that's probably most noteworthy is that it takes longer to get from one of the ship to the other on the Zuiderdam than it does on the Volendam. And the Zuiderdam has a greater range of public spaces ... a dedicated nightclub, for instance. Either way, I'm sure you'll have a great cruise. Alaska is spectacular.

another issue that may or may not matter, is that the Volendam has self service laundries whereas the Zuiderdam does not. We were on the Volendam in November of last yr and loved it. Haven't been on the Zuiderdam but there are many on these boards who prefer the older, smaller ships such as Volendam, over the Zuiderdam..

Then again, as many have said, you're on vacation and on a cruise so hard to go wrong w/ either choice.

I would highly recommend the Volendam. In fact, it is our favorite ship, and we just returned from an Alaskan cruise June 1st. It is a very friendly ship with an excellent crew and staff. The Tracy Arm portion of the Volendam's itinerary is wonderful as well.

I haven't been on the Zuiderdam, but have sailed on the Oosterdam, it's Vista sister ship, which is the same except that it is less flashy in interior decor. So I think I have a valid comparison having also sailed the Volendam.

We would have no decision to make- it would be the Volendam hands down. :) It is a beautiful and elegant ship, easy to get around, and we found the public rooms much more attractive and well laid out than the public rooms on the Oosterdam. The public hallways on the Vista ships are also narrow and winding and the shopping area a rats maze. If you have claustrophobia don't dare enter. The changes that were made on the Vista ships in the public areas were all negative compared to those on the Volendam, at least to us.

I can't speak of all the stateroom categories, but the S suites and balconies are smaller on the Zuiderdam than on the Volendam, if you will be booking that category.

There's something I'll say about the Zuiderdam that hasn't been said. It really isn't a designed-for Holland America ship the way the Volendam is. Most of the last generation of ships for Carnival-owned lines share one hull, the Carnival-Spirit hull. This hull is used for HAL Vista ships--the Zuiderdam is the first of HAL's Vista ships--Carnival Spirit ships, Costa Atlantica ships, and even Cunard's Queen Victoria. All of these ships have to apply their layout and style to a hull as opposed to having their style of cruise built ground-up into the ship. This is an "efficiency" business decision that some will notice more than others. On the other hand, the Volendam was built on a modified Statendam class ships, a design that has proven itself and one that was considered in the tradition of HAL. At first the blueprint was for a Carnival premium line but when Carnival bought HAL, the design worked out well for HAL's style. So, I think, in order to understand what HAL is about, it is best to sail the Volendam or any pre-Vista ship before sailing the Vista ship. The Vista ship is really marketed to a newer cruiser, maybe one like you. I think the disadvantage of sailing the Vista ship is you won't get the perspective of what cruising is like from a more distinguished era (even though it is a few years earlier). I think if you haven't cruised that the oldest ship sailing is a good start and then make your way to the newer ships rather than the other way round. If you sail Vista, she really is HAL's version of what's on the Costa and Carnival ships, different decor, personnel, and cruise style, but similar features, and quite similar to what's on the newest RCI and Celebrity ships as well--as the newest ships are about feature matching over more unique style per line, IMO.

Y'all are SO very helpful! Thank you for the quick replies! I want to be able to book tomorrow after having passed it by hubby ONE more time tonight :)

I found pricing and surprisingly to me - the Vol is more expensive than the larger Zui - I thought the larger ship would be more expensive.

I was ready to book the Zui simply for one of the back AFT cabins -- now I am unsure since you all seem to enjoy the Vol better - and one person said "hands down".

Looks like my choice of cabins on the Vol are BB or B - looking at the pictures the B cabins are the very last AFT -- one on each side.....none across the back of the ship as on the Zui. I did not check to see location of the BB cabins - I suppose that if I cannot get one straight across the back of the ship then either category is ok??? I just want a balcony for the least expensive price - suite does not matter to me.

On the Zui I still have the 5 AFT cabins across the back of the ship available (sorry about my lack of correct cruising terminology!!!!)

I am looking at early May bookings as those are the least expensive and I've seen elsewhere on the board that early May is fine for the cruise....some suggest it, in fact.

Not having cruised before I know that whatever we decide will be delightful - we will not know the difference - so some ignorance is bliss!:eek:

Thanks again for any heads up you may want to offer on my above observations.

Gici

I found pricing and surprisingly to me - the Vol is more expensive than the larger Zui - I thought the larger ship would be more expensive.

Price is rearly based on size itself. :)

If you want to book balcony and ships has a lot of them (like Zuiderdam) you will get lower price than on the ship where there are only a few (Volendam).

We have also sailed on both of these ships! They are both great ships in their own way. Most of the reasons were listed above but consider this. The amount of "rainey days" on the Alaskan trips make the laundry facilities on the Volendam come in very handy drying those wet clothes!!! Rain or Shine it's a great trip. We ar going next June on the Veendam.

We had one of the aft cabins on the Veendam to Alaska last year. If the Volendam is similar, then the balcony wraps around a bit , so you get a better view from the veranda, as you can look out and behind.

On the Zui I still have the 5 AFT cabins across the back of the ship available (sorry about my lack of correct cruising terminology!!!!)
Actually, you got it. Aft refers to the back of the ship. :cool:

One thing you might not be aware of ... the aft of the Zuiderdam is tiered like a wedding cake. Therefore, all cabins above you can look down onto your veranda. Only a real problem if you're not fully dressed. But some folks like their privacy when they're enjoying their veranda.

Good luck on your decision.

:o Thanks, gang! I thought we wanted the Zui - but now from your posts and reading other threads I've decided to go Volendam -- I really appreciate your opinions and help!

I did a web search and could not find any bookings online yet for Volendam in May, 2006. The pricing is finally on the HAL site - I will call my TA this afternoon and see if they can book us.

For the RT Vancouver trip: Starboard Cabins in the area of B6205-BB6217 looks like the area I will try to get. If any of you have "warnings" on these please give me the heads up!

Can't wait to become a cruiser - I am sure we will get hooked!! :)

_Gici

Having been on both the Zuiderdam and the Volendam, I would chose the Volendam again.

Me too! I love the Volendam. The Zui is too much ship for me, although I think I lost 5 lbs from walking from one end to the other all week long!

I also think the Volendam is much more traditional. They are putting the Zui in dry dock for some cleaning up and repairs this year as well I was told. She needs it. I couldn't believe for how new the ship how worn she's gotten in a few years.

The Volendam is for me for sure.

Volendam balcony cabin will have more storage space (9 drawers) and be a bit larger than the Zuiderdam balcony cabin.

On the Volendam, for my mind, if you take a balcony cabin, book early and take the lowest guarantee possible. All of the balcony cabins will be idenitcal and wonderful so you cannot lose unless you are really particular about the location of the cabin (fore, aft or mid-ships). Then, by all means book a specific cabin. Not been on the Volendam yet but sailed her sister the Zaandam three times, once in a balcony that was almost on the stern itself. The location did not bother at all.

Chances are that HAL will continue to sell the lowest or near lowest balcony cabins and you may easily trickle up to a balcony located more mid-ships. (there is no guarantee, however, that this will happen - no pun intended - so if you take a guarantee be sure that you will be happy in any cabin in that category or above). We usually do the guarantee (but then, if we have a balcony at all we are not fussy) and have been happy and done quite well each trip when finally assigned a room number.

We have sailed on the Zuiderdam twice and just returned from a May Volendam to Alaska sailing.

When I heard the Zuiderdam would be sailing a Vancouver round-trip Inside Passage itinerary in '06, I was very excited. However, after taking the Volendam trip, we booked the Volendam for the first Alaska sailing of the season in '06. The flowers on the Volendam are gorgeous and the staff is amazing. It is a traditional ship with great service. We absolutely loved it.

Why don't you join us on May 10? We have sailed to Alaska in May, June, August, and September. May seemed fresher, with more natural beauty, than the other sailings. Temperatures were usually in the 60's during the day and 40's at night, very little rain.

If you decide to change and book the Zuiderdam, I'm sure it will also be a good experience. In time, the prices for balconies may decrease due to supply vs. the Volendam.

It's really great to have choices.

B

One other thing to be aware of in the Vista Class vs. S & R-Class debate:

If you want a private balcony, they are going to be a bit more expensive on an R-Class ship as the A, AA, B & BB staterooms are considered Mini-Suites. The comparable stateroom on a Vista Class would be the SS. The other balcony's (VA-VF) on a Vista Class are not mini suites at all, but simply standard staterooms w/ a balcony - naturally at lower prices - something not available on the R and S-Class ships...

The Vista Class also has many more outdoor spaces to view the passing scenery - particularly at the forward end of the ship w/ open decks on every level from Rotterdam Deck (7) down to the much more accessible bow on Upper Promenade Deck (4)...

I took Amsterdam to Alaska last year (and thouroughly enjoyed it) and am looking forward to comparing that experience to Oosterdam in Alaska this year!

In case you are planning to sail on the Zuiderdam next June (2006), She is chartered for the ENTIRE month of June already!!! I tired to get my group on board June10th and my TA got the word from Seattle that she was booked!

We have sailed on the Zuiderdam twice and just returned from a May Volendam to Alaska sailing.

B

:) We will be on your trip Bellebaby! By the time I read your note I'd already booked a cabin for May 10 on the Volendam-- I am excited - and when DH saw the room on the internet he was quite impressed.

Now I will enjoy researching and reading all the port info - just glad to have finally decided on which ship and cabin and have it booked. This is our first cruise - and I am sure we will want to do others after this.

Are the VOl balconies covered? I read that not all are covered on the Zui. We are starboard on 6th deck.

Also - I've read about folks requesting certain table numbers - we can do this in advance? If so, what area would you recommend in the lower room - I assume we are in the lower room as we requested and were told we do have a 6:15 seating. Also - what table sizes do we have to choose from? We would love to have a large table - I assume that would be for 8???

Thanks for the info, gang! It really helps to have those of you with experience leading us newbies along - some day perhaps I can help someone searching for info.

GiCi

Bellebaby and Crusingici,

We are also booked for the May 10, 2006 sailing on the Volendam. I agree that the Volendam is a wonderful ship with the best crew. We can't wait to return to Alaska.

Bellebaby and Crusingici,

We are also booked for the May 10, 2006 sailing on the Volendam. I agree that the Volendam is a wonderful ship with the best crew. We can't wait to return to Alaska.

Cruisingici and Sage

Should we start a roll call 11 months prior to sailing? We'd have plenty of time to get to know one another!!

What do you think?

Bellebaby

I have sailed both ships and I have enjoyed each ship for different reasons. I believe trying to compare ships is not fair. They each have their own personalities, if you will.

The Zuiderdam is bright, flashy, exciting and larger ship, I loved it for a 7-day cruise. Anything longer I would want the self-service laundries onboard. This is where the Volendam shines. They have the self-service laundries and is a smaller ship than the Zuiderdam.

Either ship is a great value.

Bellebaby,

No, it isn't too early to start a roll call for Alaska. In fact, I have already done so. It would be great to get to know one another before the cruise. Yes, you can request a certain table for the Alaska cruise.

Crusingici, We had table 129 on the lower level at the back of the ship next to the window for six. It was wonderful to be able to look out as we sailed along. And yes, the verandas are covered and provide some nice protection from the wind.

Are the VOl balconies covered? I read that not all are covered on the Zui. We are starboard on 6th deck.

GiCi

Yes, All balconies on Volendam and the S & R Class ships are covered - as they all face the side.

The only ones that are not covered on the Vista Class are those that face aft on Decks 4-7...

Archived