Tell me about Celebrity..good and bad...!!!

Topaz M...Hi there, and thanks for that, yes we are very excited to be sailing on the Solstice...will definately ask about the old raspberry fizz...I think it has raspberry vodka, chambord, and raspberries in it.....will give it a go.

Looking forward to a crepe or 3 at the bistro on 5 as well.....YUM...:D

Timtam2...

absolutely agree about the shouting and the phone thing....we often heard people on other cruises having very loud conversations out on deck...LOL....

cheers

S&D

Sandy we have been on Solstice twice since Nov. got off one cruise, loved it so much we booked another. Now that says it all!!

The cabins are narrow but very functional and the bathroom modern. Loved the glass shower door, much better than those clingy shower curtain.LOL!! Food was great, lots to do onboard. We had a cabin on the hump and that's the way to go. We had 12 on our balcony one night. Lots of room. Loved the Martini bar. The theatre is huge and we never had to get there early like Princess ships. Lots of chairs around the pool deck in the shade and comfy cane chairs on the top deck near the lawn area.

We didn't like the anytime dining on the first cruise as we got sick of every night- " hello how are you, where do you come from" etc;) next cruise we were back to set dining and loved the company we were with every night:cool:

Solstice doesn't cope very well with tendering. As with any big ship it's very hard to get everyone off when they want to get off. So on tender ports its wise to do ships tours or you wait for ever to get off.

So..... For us .... It's Hello Celebrity.... Princess will have to provide us with a great itinerary now, or a great deal. We are hooked::p

Hi Sandy,

Spent a week on Solstice in December 2012 (Western Caribbean) and itching to get back on her.

At the Outback Bar on Lawn Deck they will be sure to make up your Raspberry Fizz if you know the ingredients. In fact all the bar staff are excellent. Make sure you visit the Martini Bar and see them making multiple martinis at the same time, quite a show!

Plus the banana and nutella crepes at Bistro On Five are to die for (something like $5 service charge to eat there but well worth it plus a great place to avoid the buffet rush on embarkation day ;) ).

So many great places on the ship, loved it! Staff are fantastic. Hot Glass show is awesome - get there early for a seat!

Have a wonderful cruise!

I think it might have been 2011 as in December 2012 she was in Australia. Agree with everything else - Bistro on Five is great. They also do a couple of soups and panini sandwiches for those who are not keen on crepes. I did not try the sweet ones but the spicy Mexican was great. The $5 cover is well worth it. It was never busy when we were there.

We also liked the specialty restaurants, especially Tuscan Grille. The truffle/parmesan chips are fantastic and I loved the lobster pasta dish I had. For a real party piece, the lobster tails at Murano cannot be beaten IMO - it is cooked at the table with great ceremony. I know the lobsters are frozen but they are better tasting than the ones I have had on other ships.

Thanks Liz, glad you and Lloyd are still keen cruisers...LOL...we are looking forward to trying Solstice... sounds like you love Celebrity....

..we have anytime dining on this one, and set dining next April..will be interesting to try it all out...

yes, the cabins look very nice, and the shower doors will be a welcome change too....we will look out for those nice comfy chairs on the deck as well. ..we will let you know how we go... AND ... I meant to say last time I saw you...I came to Australia on the Iberia in 1959 as well... I was about 4 yrs old...maybe we met back then...LOL..... xx

Aussieflyer.... Thanks for all the insider tips......great!!!!

yes, we are looking forward to trying the Tuscan grill, maybe for our special

anniversary dinner nite...we love steak.... we have had good reviews on this restaurant. Will probably give Murano a miss as I dont eat seafood...:)

cheers

S&D

Pean... thank you very much for that....wow...just what we need..more food!!!...LOL....actually we saw Lizzy's photos

of the brunch..looks amazing..will give it a go...

cheers

S&D

I think it might have been 2011 as in December 2012 she was in Australia. Agree with everything else - Bistro on Five is great. They also do a couple of soups and panini sandwiches for those who are not keen on crepes. I did not try the sweet ones but the spicy Mexican was great. The $5 cover is well worth it. It was never busy when we were there.

We also liked the specialty restaurants, especially Tuscan Grille. The truffle/parmesan chips are fantastic and I loved the lobster pasta dish I had. For a real party piece, the lobster tails at Murano cannot be beaten IMO - it is cooked at the table with great ceremony. I know the lobsters are frozen but they are better tasting than the ones I have had on other ships.

Oops ... yes, you are right :) It was Dec 2011!!!

Also loved Tuscan Grille.

No brunch on our cruise due to leftover noro limitations from her TA before us. However the salad bar in the dining room at lunch time was fantastic .. you pick the ingredients and they make up the salad for you, delicious and fresh.

Hi,

While my wife and i have not been on solstice, we have been on milli and infinifty.

We love celebrity. These are the reasons...

1) demographic suits us. We are not wanting lots of young boozers. We like to dress up and we like to have formal dinner experiences.

2) quality of the food. While we noticed a drop of food quality in the four years between our cruises, it was still very good. I can't comment on recent food though as we have had a loooong break! But the michel roux menu was sublime. Sigh.

3) the staff are wonderful.

4) we like the ship quality and brand. It is not the poshest out there, but it is not the cheapest either. It is definately five star, which is important for us as we like to feel as though the cruise is a real splurge for us.

Hope this helps. Mark

Mark, thanks for your input...much appreciated....we are certainly looking forward to the whole experience.... we also like to dress up for formal nights, it makes it very special... as we are usually hanging around home in our gardening clothes...LOL.....

cheers...

S&D

I love Celebrity. Its classy alll the way, right from the moment you step onboard and they offer you a glass of champagne. The food is wonderful, the service is excellent, I love all the extra little touches like the cool towels and drinks on the pier in ports. I feel just right within the demographic they attract - Im not interested in a party all night experience anymore. The only thing that Princess do better in my opinion are the production shows.

You will love it - see you onboard!

Hi TimTam2,

Could you expand on what that demographic is please?

We are enjoying RCCL, but thought we may do a Celebrity cruise for the itinerary mostly, but we are in our 40's & were concerned Celebrity may be quite a bit older in her average age than Royal?

Although we did find the Voyager cruise to NZ in January had a quite noticeably older demographic than the Pacific Island cruise, I'm assuming due to the destination?

At times I felt like I was at a senior citizens club (no offence intended to any seniors), and although that time will come for us, we just don't want to feel like we are there now. :)

We enjoy the finer things in life & it seems Celebrity is quite refined as far as cruise ships go, but will Celebrity be too old a demographic for us?

We are enjoying RCCL, but thought we may do a Celebrity cruise for the itinerary mostly, but we are in our 40's & were concerned Celebrity may be quite a bit older in her average age than Royal?

Although we did find the Voyager cruise to NZ in January had a quite noticeably older demographic than the Pacific Island cruise, I'm assuming due to the destination?

Exactly - time of year and destination determine who's onboard. Take a celebrity cruise in the caribbean, and especially in school holidays and there are heaps of families. Their kids club is great btw!

But take a transatlantic, or outside holiday season and on any line you'll get a much older skew onboard. This is just because of the length of time required, and the appeal of the destinations.

Basically if you want a younger crowd, choose destinations more appealing to them, and in holidays.

Hi TimTam2,

At times I felt like I was at a senior citizens club (no offence intended to any seniors), and although that time will come for us, we just don't want to feel like we are there now. :)

We enjoy the finer things in life & it seems Celebrity is quite refined as far as cruise ships go, but will Celebrity be too old a demographic for us?

We are also in our 40's (just barely!) and have been cruising X for 7 years. Love it. Often we were some of the youngest adults on the ship, and we have never been late night people. However, the few nights we were up late, there was still lots of people around having a good time.

We wouldn't change from X based on the age of fellow passengers.

On the Solstice now...lying in my bed in a deck 8 hump cabin looking out at the Opera House. It is a wonderful ship. Classy inside but in a hipster 21st century chic fashion...think trendy New York, LA or London hotel.

Lifts r fast and rarely waiting.

Cocktails average $9-$10 but up to $14. Much cheaper than landside. Even the coke in the cabin minibar @ $2.50 is cheaper than most servos I buy it at.

Food great both in the restaurant or buffet - big variety and on boarding day (yesterday) was not crowded. Sit outside at back for views.

Cabins nice, narrow as stated but pillows hard and beds firm.

Crowd seems at least 50 % US, maybe 10% European (British/ Germany/Spanish predominately) and the rest Australian. Few children but well behaved and immaculately dressed. Age demographic - 70% 40's and up. 30% 30's and down. It's obviously a more middle class monied ( if I can make such a comment - I don't mean millionaire I just mean in the sense of not struggling and not a bogan or equivalent crowd). Everyone's dressed well...neat country club casuals predominately last night (first night).

6andy6, your description of the current onboard demographic summed up my previous experiences perfectly. Never did I feel like I was sitting in the food court at Westfield or in the buffet at the now famous Rooty Hill RSL........

Just because 50% of pax may be 40s upward, it doesnt mean we're all past it! In Australian waters, the crowd is definitely more active than say a TA or in Alaska

For the real ice-cream lovers. A few years ago on Infinity, you could get real, soft, yummy ice-cream for free, in a cone, in the buffet in the afternoons - not just the soft serve stuff. Then, top it off with a yummy cookie outside in the barbecue area (but the cookies went quick). Total - few more kilos on the stomach at the end of the cruise.

So reading the last few posts, it would be fair to say the majority of the crowd is of the older demographic from a 40 somethings perspective?

70% over 40 is a bit of a broad description as a 45 year old & a 65 year old are not in the same age demographic.

But it also sounds like those that are older may be more of the active, adventurous, fit, tech savvy seniors that don't all have white short hair & wear homy ped shoes or define themselves by their seniors status? Would that be accurate?

I haven't avoided cruises or land tours based on the age demographic in the past, but our last cruise really brought home to me that I don't want to be the youngest in a crowd where the majority would be older type 65+'s.

To explain further, my 81 year mother whom I love dearly lives with us, she is really switched on & reasonably active (walks OK but has trouble with steps at times, looks after herself physically, cooks, etc), but on a daily basis I am involved with seeing & hearing about the realities of old age.

When I travel I really want to just get away from all that in general & be amongst people who are not mostly slooowww walking, hard of hearing, remember the good old days with rose coloured glasses, love discussing their latest illness, don't like ATM's & think computers are best ignored. :)

Please don't get me wrong, there are plenty of senior aged people I admire & whose company I really enjoy, just seems none of them were on our last cruise & the age difference was really noticeable.

@Avalon.

Actual it's a very specific demographic if u stop and think for a moment. What it is saying is that it is a maturer crowd and not a youth party ship aka Carnival or some of the P&O Australia ships and also less a 'family' ship (that's not to say there ate no families on nor that they don't have kids on...but your less likely to find the 400 kids reported on Carnival Spirit recently during holidays).

There are also 20's and 30's but they are not in the majority whereas on other local ships they would be.

Now if your looking for a specific age break upi suggest you ring Celebrityasno one is going to have that much detail.

I will say in finishing that of the 40 and over a big big chunk would be over 50.

@Avalon.

Actual it's a very specific demographic if u stop and think for a moment. What it is saying is that it is a maturer crowd and not a youth party ship aka Carnival or some of the P&O Australia ships and also less a 'family' ship (that's not to say there ate no families on nor that they don't have kids on...but your less likely to find the 400 kids reported on Carnival Spirit recently during holidays).

There are also 20's and 30's but they are not in the majority whereas on other local ships they would be.

Now if your looking for a specific age break upi suggest you ring Celebrityasno one is going to have that much detail.

I will say in finishing that of the 40 and over a big big chunk would be over 50.

Hmm, not that specific to me I'm afraid. I know which lines are party ships so needless to say I don't cruise with them, but understanding the demographic of the other 70% can make a difference to your experience.

If I'm going to pay more to cruise with Celebrity then I want to understand what sort of cruise line it is in general, demographically speaking.

I seriously doubt asking the cruise line would be accurate.

I just perused the Celebrity Australian website & was hard pressed to find more than 1 or 2 pics of anyone over 45! They are all appear to be youthful, fit, active, attractive & well groomed. No pictures of pot bellied bearded old gentlemen snoozing in the lounge, grey haired seniors with walkers in the lifts, or morbidly obese people waddling to the buffet!:rolleyes:

Have a look, do they look representative to you of the majority demographic you have seen whilst cruising Celebrity?

The cruise lines are somewhat guilty of false representation in their marketing I think.

Of course there is no way of accurately saying what any particular cruise would have demographically, as there are always exceptions to the rule.

Maybe my last cruise just happened to be one of those exceptions & next cruise I won't feel like I got dropped off at a retirement village 25 years too early.:D

Hmm, not that specific to me I'm afraid. I know which lines are party ships so needless to say I don't cruise with them, but understanding the demographic of the other 70% can make a difference to your experience.

If I'm going to pay more to cruise with Celebrity then I want to understand what sort of cruise line it is in general, demographically speaking.

I seriously doubt asking the cruise line would be accurate.

I just perused the Celebrity Australian website & was hard pressed to find more than 1 or 2 pics of anyone over 45! They are all appear to be youthful, fit, active, attractive & well groomed. No pictures of pot bellied bearded old gentlemen snoozing in the lounge, grey haired seniors with walkers in the lifts, or morbidly obese people waddling to the buffet!:rolleyes:

Have a look, do they look representative to you of the majority demographic you have seen whilst cruising Celebrity?

The cruise lines are somewhat guilty of false representation in their marketing I think.

Of course there is no way of accurately saying what any particular cruise would have demographically, as there are always exceptions to the rule.

Maybe my last cruise just happened to be one of those exceptions & next cruise I won't feel like I got dropped off at a retirement village 25 years too early.:D

Lol.

I looked around when reading that and nearly spluttered. I'm not going to judge others looks but it's fair to say that no the website is not like a reality in the looks respect or the Bold and the Beautiful look.

Yes most are well dressed and wont dissappoint in that respect (in the evening that is- during day its far more casual).

But lying on my sun lounge and in the row of about 12 people except for 1 other my partner and I at 44 and 45 are the youngest.

However, when getting off this morning to tour out of the 20-30 in line street that time 6 or 7 were under 35 ( late 20's/early 30's).

But never totally believe cruise line advertising- while accurate in some respect it's still advertising and no different from Qantas ( you don't see people with economy food like cat sick or seats rigidly upright) or any other advertisements.

But as I said before there is a fair chunk over 55. And a few with wheel chairs, walkers and the like. It is fair to say the line would not suit you if you have an adversion to old people...or holidaying with them. As they do form a significant portion no denying that - not many young Americans can afford to fly out for 3 weeks to Australia. And it is a ship that caters well for US even in these waters and allowing for some local modifications they have made.

But I'm enjoying it and at our 'middle ages' the old folk are fine with me ( as long as they don't moan).

Interesting comments from all.....and just our 2 cents worth...I absolutely agree with timtam2.....that there seems to be a very active group of over 50's when you cruise locally with us Aussies....LOL....

We fall in that 50's age demographic...

We noticed that all the bars on our previous cruises were well attended quite late into the evening, and...being very keen dancers, (rock n roll, salsa, latin, etc)...we were quite often the last people in the nightclub, and dance venues at night, we absolutely

love our cruises, and cruise with a very active lot of friends...yes, we are all well dressed, ( VERY) and most presentable..... very young at heart..and on our feet...LOL.....:D:D

6andy6...

Loving your posts...!!!!

can you do us a BIG favour....can you get a message to the Cruise Director for us..I cannot find any contact email for him/her.....

we are a large group embarking on the 28th march, and we are very keen dancers....can you find out if there will be dancing in the sky lounge most nights, as well as the atrium (which is a little small for a lot of people)...

as we will all be raring to go!!!!! LOL...

BIG thank you...

Sandy and Dave

S&D

Lol.

I looked around when reading that and nearly spluttered. I'm not going to judge others looks but it's fair to say that no the website is not like a reality in the looks respect or the Bold and the Beautiful look.

Yes most are well dressed and wont dissappoint in that respect (in the evening that is- during day its far more casual).

But lying on my sun lounge and in the row of about 12 people except for 1 other my partner and I at 44 and 45 are the youngest.

However, when getting off this morning to tour out of the 20-30 in line street that time 6 or 7 were under 35 ( late 20's/early 30's).

But never totally believe cruise line advertising- while accurate in some respect it's still advertising and no different from Qantas ( you don't see people with economy food like cat sick or seats rigidly upright) or any other advertisements.

But as I said before there is a fair chunk over 55. And a few with wheel chairs, walkers and the like. It is fair to say the line would not suit you if you have an adversion to old people...or holidaying with them. As they do form a significant portion no denying that - not many young Americans can afford to fly out for 3 weeks to Australia. And it is a ship that caters well for US even in these waters and allowing for some local modifications they have made.

But I'm enjoying it and at our 'middle ages' the old folk are fine with me ( as long as they don't moan).

Glad I gave you a laugh!

I certainly don't have an adversion to cruising with old people, I just prefer to cruise with a mixed group rather than a very strong senior citizen type demographic.

One of my best friends is actually 64, so I don't have issues with older people, just want to get away from the strong senior citizen vibe type of oldies, since I get that every day of the week having my 81 year old mum live with me.

Anyone that has an elderley parent living with them would know what I mean, you just don't want to know, see or hear anything related to aging if you can help it, it gets depressing.

But I will still enjoy my cruises regardless anyway.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise, don't trip over a misplaced walking stick or get run down by a speeding mobility scooter!.:)

No seriously, hope you have a great time.:D

Interesting reading. We are going on The Millenium in April from Shanghai. Our friends told us, once you go on Celebrity you won't want to go on any other Cruise Line. I will make my own Judgement. Have been on most P&O ships from Aussie and RCL. Elite on Princess. Will miss the benefits. lol. I have been told our RCL cruises count for our Celebrity cruise. Will wait and see. Will wait for your input.

In the last year or so we have been on Sun Princess and X Millennium. They are chalk and cheese in terms of facilities, service and the attractiveness of the ship. Sun Princess is old, tired and daggy, the food ordinary to awful. Millennium cabin was lovely, service fantastic, food was sometimes very salty but overall vastly superior to the Sun Princess. The big drawback on Celebrity is that you could end up with a ship load of whinging American drama queens, all looking to attribute blame for stuff that most travellers accept just happens. It will probably be quite different sailing out of Sydney where most of the passenger should be locals who won't put up with the nonsense.

Try Celebrity, I think you will love it!

Archived