Tell me about Celebrity..good and bad...!!!

Hi all...

S&D checking in...we have not been on the boards much lately, as we moved interstate a while back.... and have been very busy with other stuff for a while...so we have not had a cruise in 3 years....:eek::eek:

Needless to say we are having SERIOUS withdrawals, and we are now looking forward to our upcoming cruise .....

SO....we are off on Celebrity Solstice in 3 weeks time, up to Qld etc.....and would like to know all the stuff about Celebrity that you like (or not..LOL)...

We usually go Princess, and are looking forward to trying new ships....

So...all previous Celebrity fans...tell us all the goss !!!!!!

cheers

S&D:):)

Yes Les....but I want to know from our Aussies viewpoint, and this board has such helpful people!!!!!

Enjoy your cruise as well Les, say hello to mary from us

S&D

I've only done one night on Solstice but all I can say is WOW!! Beautiful ship, lovely staterooms, great food, excellent staff/service. I'm so impressed i've booked another cruise on her :D.

Enjoy your cruise, you will love the ship :).

Hi all...

S&D checking in...we have not been on the boards much lately, as we moved interstate a while back.... and have been very busy with other stuff for a while...so we have not had a cruise in 3 years....:eek::eek:

Needless to say we are having SERIOUS withdrawals, and we are now looking forward to our upcoming cruise .....

SO....we are off on Celebrity Solstice in 3 weeks time, up to Qld etc.....and would like to know all the stuff about Celebrity that you like (or not..LOL)...

We usually go Princess, and are looking forward to trying new ships....

So...all previous Celebrity fans...tell us all the goss !!!!!!

cheers

Lovely to see you back here S&D. Hope Queensland can turn on lots of sunshine for your cruise..it's been yukky here of late.

We're also loyal Princess fans and seeing the possibility of 'jumping ship' may come around one day, I was also thinking Celebrity. Would love to hear your thoughts when you get back. Enjoy!

Thanks Brossy and Anna....

yes, we have heard good reports....and will do a review when we get back... looking forward to being out on that ocean again...

we have heard the food is great, also the cabins.. nice to have a sofa as well

which is nice....will be checking out the dancing venues of course...LOL....

not sure if I will get a raspberry fizz on there, but I will ask anyway....:D:D

cheers

S&D

I love Celebrity. Its classy alll the way, right from the moment you step onboard and they offer you a glass of champagne. The food is wonderful, the service is excellent, I love all the extra little touches like the cool towels and drinks on the pier in ports. I feel just right within the demographic they attract - Im not interested in a party all night experience anymore. The only thing that Princess do better in my opinion are the production shows.

You will love it - see you onboard!

Thanks for that timtam2.....will look forward to seeing you onboard....

it will be interesting to try a different cruise line for us this time!

Don't worry guys, Uncle Les will be reporting in when he gets back from NZ on 20 March, with his views. I don't have a puter with me and no free internet on Solstice for us, not like all that free internet we get as Princess Elite. Such is life.

Got to go, time to start packing. We leave that until late.

We've been on several Celebrity ships, the most recent, Solstice in January. We have only done a short cruise on Dawn Princess and based on that prefer Celebrity. We find the cabins better (a couch rather than a tub chair) and glass balconies with better furniture. Food is usually very good but coffee suffers (as on virtually all ships).

As you are on Solstice, make sure you go to the glass show - it is excellent and the glass blowers are very talented. It is outside so can get chilly (take a pool towel). Persian Garden is a nice place to lie on the heated recliners (but an extra fee if you are not in Aqua staterooms).

Have a great cruise - it is always good to see what the other companies offer!

Thank you very much Aussieflyer... good to hear you liked Solstice...yes, we

will have a look at those heated loungers....and the glass show!

and...yes....the coffee is pretty hit and miss on most ships, so we usually buy a cappucino/soda card as well.

The sofa in cabins is a big plus to us, we only had one of those on Princess on one occasion when we had a mini suite, but we usually travel on insides now, so its good to see we have one in the cabin this time.

cheers...:)

S&D

I like Celebrity, though did the one nighter and Solstice and was disappointed with a number of misses on that one, service and maintenance wise. By comparison, I found the recent Voyager cruise a better one, which is a turnaround for RCL vs Celebrity.

Still a good ship with some different things to see though. Just wasn't on point like previous Celebrity cruises, and I think being the first and oldest of the solstice class ships without a refurb showed.

So, relative to other cruise lines, Celebrity is good. But within the fleet, I'm preferring other Celebrity ships at the moment.

I was on Infinity a few years ago. Yes, the welcome with champagne was lovely. The cabin was very nice and comfy. I liked the 'stations' in the Buffet where you could go up for just a pizza or salad instead of joining the annoying queue for food. I don't think they have high tea but they still provide cookies and cake and stuff around the pool in the afternoon. I would go on celebrity again and I agree Celebrity is classy.

Thanks Big M...and Rassa.....

great to hear all these tips.... especially from our Aussie cruisers,... :)

Did you enjoy the Solstice food Big M, ?? ... and good to hear you enjoyed

Voyager.

Rassa...yes we have heard the buffet area is easy to navigate..sounds good...

cheers

S&D

S&D...Sandy and if you are in Concierge Class, you get a complimentary bottle of fizz (not rasberry) in your cabin. So we will get one of those, nice for sailaway I reckon.

Gawd those infernal paper luggage tags, just printed them out. Is there a TAFE course so you can learn how to fold the B...things?

Les..apparently you can scan them, make them larger, and use wide cellotape to cover them etc...may make them easier to handle...LOL...

we just have an inside cabin Les, so no bubbly for us, except what we take on ourselves....:D

S&D

Just thought - Celebrity has your account details available on the cabin tv; not sure if Princess does, but it is very useful (and up to date).

One thing to be careful of is the wifi. The system is quite "clunky" and easy for those who do not read each screen's instructions (my DH for example) to end up paying 75c per minute. As well the bookmark to the log off screen did not take you there (dumb - pointed it out but probably not fixed) so it is important to open new pages in a new window or tab.

Les..apparently you can scan them, make them larger, and use wide cellotape to cover them etc...may make them easier to handle...LOL...

we just have an inside cabin Les, so no bubbly for us, except what we take on ourselves....:D

S&D

All fixed up re the tags, 'The Boss' is smarter than me at this craft stuff. LOL.

I thought Celebrity was giving away complimentary upgrades on just about every cruise, Sandy? When we booked ours it was on, paid for inside and got Concierge Verandah on Sky Deck. Maybe it was only some cruise agents that were given the upgrade deal, the mob we booked with at North Sydney, cannot mention their name on here are actually owned by Royal Caribbean, who of course are the parent company of Celebrity, all the same mob. The deal included 2 nights post cruise at the Quadrant, Auckland and flight back on Emirates.

Aussieflyer...thanks again for the heads up on the ships wi fi... plus I will leave my laptop at home....we may just use an internet cafe as we go up the coast..sounds like it may be cheaper than the Celebrity rates!!!!

Yes, so we booked for next April too....so hopefully we love the Solstice!!!!...hey...I will be at sea on a ship..whats not to like...?????:):)

Les...good going with the luggage tags...your clever wife sorted you out!!!

We booked this cruise a year ago...at a very reduced rate, so, no upgrade on this one, but we are up on deck 11 inside cabin.

Next April we got the balcony upgrade to deck 6...so got a cabin on the hump area !!!

You got a great deal as always Les.....:D:D

cheers

S&D

All fixed up re the tags, 'The Boss' is smarter than me at this craft stuff. LOL.

I thought Celebrity was giving away complimentary upgrades on just about every cruise, Sandy? When we booked ours it was on, paid for inside and got Concierge Verandah on Sky Deck. Maybe it was only some cruise agents that were given the upgrade deal, the mob we booked with at North Sydney, I'm looking for a good TA Les, is this the one located in Walker Street> cannot mention their name on here are actually owned by Royal Caribbean, who of course are the parent company of Celebrity, all the same mob. The deal included 2 nights post cruise at the Quadrant, Auckland and flight back on Emirates.

Sorry OP to hi-jack your thread!

Hello Les

Just wondering if you could confirm is your TA is the one located in Walker Street North Sydney?

I'm looking for one that will take an interest in my travel NOT JUST book it and take the commission like the one I've just transferred my last booking to.

Gae

Hi Sandy,

Spent a week on Solstice in December 2012 (Western Caribbean) and itching to get back on her.

At the Outback Bar on Lawn Deck they will be sure to make up your Raspberry Fizz if you know the ingredients. In fact all the bar staff are excellent. Make sure you visit the Martini Bar and see them making multiple martinis at the same time, quite a show!

Plus the banana and nutella crepes at Bistro On Five are to die for (something like $5 service charge to eat there but well worth it plus a great place to avoid the buffet rush on embarkation day ;) ).

So many great places on the ship, loved it! Staff are fantastic. Hot Glass show is awesome - get there early for a seat!

Have a wonderful cruise!

Sorry OP to hi-jack your thread!

Hello Les

Just wondering if you could confirm is your TA is the one located in Walker Street North Sydney?

I'm looking for one that will take an interest in my travel NOT JUST book it and take the commission like the one I've just transferred my last booking to.

Gae

Sorry to say this but I would be breaking CC guidelines, thus a board violation if I informed you of the address of my T/A.

I have been in strife before re this.

Re the wi fi - depending on how close we stay to the coast, it might be possible to still use your normal internet service. But on the other hand, I'd rather not hear mobile phones ringing all cruise and having to listen to other peoples shouted one sided conversations. I have enough of that each day on the train

Archived