Need advice

Disneynutbsv

Good morning everyone...

We cruise next month. Airfare is purchased (non-refundable), cruise is paid for.

Husband wants to go with my son somewhere else. Which would leave me and my daughter going on the cruise by ourselves. Which is fine, but...I would be forfeiting his portion of the cruise, plus the airfare and I already paid for one excursion already...

I am assuming that's pretty much what would happen or do I have other options? If not, that's ok, I can deal...just a bummer to lose out on funds:(

Check with the airline about options for a future trip.

I assume you are out of luck with Carnival for the cruise fee. However, check with Carnival about getting the port fees refunded for hubby.

Your excursion can be cancelled - either before you leave or when you first arrive on the ship. If you cancel now, your refund will be on your credit card. If you wait until you are on the ship, it will be on-board credit. However, depending upon when the excursion falls on your cruise (because they usually let you cancel 48 hours prior anyway) if you don't cancel the excursion prior to the trip, I would cancel the excursion as soon as you get on the ship to be sure you don't get charged.

I wish you a great bonding trip with your daughter. Turn lemons into lemonade.

I'm not sure if this is possible, but can you change the name on your booking and take a friend? I think if you booked Early Saver, maybe not, but if you booked another rate, perhaps. Then your friend could pay the fare (or part of it).

Too bad your husband didn't decide this BEFORE final payment.

Here is Carnival's cancellation policy:

DAYS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE DATE

CANCELLATION CHARGE(per guest)

2, 3, 4 & 5 day cruises

Up to 61 days

None(except Cruises to Nowhere and Early Saver, Easy Saver* and Super Saver fares**)

60 to 46 days

Deposit***

45 to 30 days

Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

29 to 15 days

Deposit or 75% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

14 days or less

100% of Total Fare

*Early Saver & Easy Saver: The deposit is non-refundable. All cancellations that occur prior to final payment due date will receive a non-refundable and non-transferable future cruise credit in US dollars in the amount of the deposit less a $50 pp service fee. The future cruise credit must be used on a sailing within 24 months from the date of cancellation and can only be applied to your cruise fare. Any unused portion will be forfeited.

**Super Saver: The deposit is non-refundable.

***For Cruises to Nowhere, the cancellation charge is 25% of Total Fare.

Maggie

He's a knucklehead, what can I say! :) Its fine, really, I just didn't know if anyone knew of anything I could do...

So, one more discussion with him tonight and then i cancel his portion of the excursion..wooohoo $40 back...Can I just cancel his part of the excursion? Would I be better off calling Carnival?

On another note..he was going to drive while in Miami (so renting a car). I do not want to drive, so a recommendation of a hotel to stay that has a shuttle from airport to hotel (and possible shuttle to port, if not I can take a taxi). We will be there for a day and a 1/2, so would need stuff to do w/i walking distance.

thanks!

I would cancel the whole excursion and then rebook immediately for just the two of you.

If you go to the Home Ports section of the main board you will find TONS of information on Miami hotels. Why can't your husband just drive you to the port? :cool:

Have a good trip!

I would cancel the whole excursion and then rebook immediately for just the two of you.

If you go to the Home Ports section of the main board you will find TONS of information on Miami hotels. Why can't your husband just drive you to the port? :cool:

Have a good trip!

Guess he wouldn't be able to do that if he's not there. She's flying to the port and looking for a hotel. Re-read her original post, please.

Good morning everyone...

We cruise next month. Airfare is purchased (non-refundable), cruise is paid for.

Husband wants to go with my son somewhere else. Which would leave me and my daughter going on the cruise by ourselves. Which is fine, but...I would be forfeiting his portion of the cruise, plus the airfare and I already paid for one excursion already...

I am assuming that's pretty much what would happen or do I have other options? If not, that's ok, I can deal...just a bummer to lose out on funds:(

Did you purchase insurance that included a cancel for any reason benefit? If you did, you can get your husband's portion refunded to you. If not, you'll need to see if the airline will let you use your travel funds for another booking, but I know there will be a change fee...but you'd still at least have some of the money you paid for the airfare.

As for your excursions, cancel the ones for your husband and son (assuming you booked through the ship. If you booked with a non-sponsored ship tour, then you need to know what the cancellation policy is for that provider. I would think you still have enough time to cancel it.)

I've never done it and really don't know how it works, but I've read that you shouldn't cancel the extra people in your cabin because you'll have to pay the difference for their fare. People say let them be a no-show and ...sorry, I forget the rest. But I don't know how that will work out considering you two are married and it may look suspect if you and your daughter show, but your son and your husband don't. Although I recently read a post where a husband and wife missed the boat because of chaos in the airport, but their adult children made it. So, you never know.

*the edit is the bold text*

I am not sure I want to take someone else...lol. Not trying to be mean, but just wanted to spend quality time with my daughter...

There's nothing mean about it--it's your vacation! I've taken just DD on four cruises and we're doing a 12-day Baltic this summer. I absolutely LOVE traveling with just her--she's game for anything and we're very close. Cruising is a fun way for us to spend uninterrupted time together. Have a wonderful trip!

Too bad your husband didn't decide this BEFORE final payment.

No kidding! My ex decided he didn't want to go on a cruise that was booked Early Saver--that was irritating enough! LOL. It was well before final payment and I was able to use his deposit on a cruise for DD and me after the ex and I divorced. :D

Couple of things to think about. If you are more than 46 days out. I think you are only out a deposit. Call carnival and discuss your options with them. They may keep his deposit and re do your rate for two people so your dd rate may be higher but you may still come out ahead. See what will happen if you cancel and re book. There may be a price drop, you may lose your whole deposit but tell carnival the situation and they may apply your and dds deposit to the new booking. Weigh your options but do it quickly. If you are 50 days out I find it hard to believe that letting him no show will be the best option.

********imoportant*********. If DD is a minor, you must bring a letter from dad giving her permission to Tavel with you. I know of people who overlooked this or did not provide proper documentation that were denied boarding nd lost their cruise and all their money.

Get a notarized letter that has your husband's permission to take your DD out of country. It's for the prevention of Child Abductions. You might not be asked for it.

He's a knucklehead, what can I say! :) Its fine, really, I just didn't know if anyone knew of anything I could do...

So, one more discussion with him tonight and then i cancel his portion of the excursion..wooohoo $40 back...Can I just cancel his part of the excursion? Would I be better off calling Carnival?

On another note..he was going to drive while in Miami (so renting a car). I do not want to drive, so a recommendation of a hotel to stay that has a shuttle from airport to hotel (and possible shuttle to port, if not I can take a taxi). We will be there for a day and a 1/2, so would need stuff to do w/i walking distance.

thanks!

I would recommend the Intercontinental Hotel. It is $140 a night on lastminutetravel dot com.

It is right across from the cruise ships and is in easy walking distance to Bayside marketplace with restaurants, shopping, and entertainment.

You would have to take a taxi though. About $25 to the hotel and about $8 to the pier from the hotel.

Have fun

Bill

Couple of things to think about. If you are more than 46 days out. I think you are only out a deposit. Call carnival and discuss your options with them. They may keep his deposit and re do your rate for two people so your dd rate may be higher but you may still come out ahead. See what will happen if you cancel and re book. There may be a price drop, you may lose your whole deposit but tell carnival the situation and they may apply your and dds deposit to the new booking. Weigh your options but do it quickly. If you are 50 days out I find it hard to believe that letting him no show will be the best option.

********imoportant*********. If DD is a minor, you must bring a letter from dad giving her permission to Tavel with you. I know of people who overlooked this or did not provide proper documentation that were denied boarding nd lost their cruise and all their money.

Yes! You still have time to get SOME of your money back - unless you booked Early Saver. But you need to act quickly because at 46 days prior to cruise, you would lose more. Right now it looks like you would only be out the deposit.

You should be able to get the airfare changed - but you will be charged a change fee (unless Southwest). So, depending on the airfare cost, it might not be much. But worth a call!

Maggie

Archived