in-room dining question

Trying to get work done on a beautiful Sunday afternoon, but cruise critic is so much more appealing.

I see here a lot of love for in-room dining, and the ability to order any MDR entree. But here's my question: where do you put the food, and where do you put yourself when you eat it?

My only experience with in-room dining is getting coffee, juice, and a little fruit and pastries delivered in the morning. Great way to start the day, but man do I have a problem finding enough space on the desk to support that tray.

How do you do it with a whole dinner?

RC

3 of us had a pyjama party instead of doing formal night one cruise. In an oceanview. Two on the couch, one on the edge of the bed. The two on the couch used the coffee table, raised, and the one on the bed used her lap. IIRC she used the night table to hold her wine, while those of us on the couch used the table. The tray with dinner sat on the desk.

IMHO being with people you enjoy is the biggest factor in "ambiance" (sp?). You do not need a suite to enjoy in-room dining. That pyjama party is one of everyone's favorite memories from that cruise ;)

Right on! Unfortunately DH is looking over my shoulder & has requested that I post this: TIPS = To Insure Prompt Service.

Your DH is not right, there is no evidence that that is where the term "tips" comes from. ;) Check Wikipedia.

When I tip, It is "to insure prompt..." what?

Our last Cruise Director (Jason Venner) probably put it best.

"Tips are never expected. But, they are appreciated.

By that logic, the $11.50 tips per person are "never expected, but appreciated." See, I don't think so. I think everyone needs to pay that unless the service is terrible (which it never is).

Then, tipping beyond that is for extraordinary service.

By that logic, the $11.50 tips per person are "never expected, but appreciated." See, I don't think so. I think everyone needs to pay that unless the service is terrible (which it never is).

Then, tipping beyond that is for extraordinary service.

And that is exactly why I tip:) For Service above and beyond. And believe me, EVERY SINGLE CREW MEMBER on a HAL Ship gives me that A&B Service:)

Now you might disagree with me, and others, in regards to any tipping, more, less or even the partial or God Forbid total removal of Hotel Service Charge, but that is our right:)

I will continue to tell anyone who asks the question of How Much, When and Where, that while it is up to them, I will continue to suggest extra tipping at the end of the cruise or and/or for In Room Dining (Room service) Service:)

EDITED TO ADD: We have ALWAYS had Perfect Room service. Sorry if your experience(s) have been different, but you cannot say never and speak for those of us who've had that "Perfect" service:)

Joanie

We keep a bunch of $1 bills in an envelope in the safe. Since we usually order breakfast in our room, we get the money ready the night before because those stewards are in and out faster than imaginable.We tip because they've carried the tray from the kitchen and we want to show our appreciation for the service.

Ditto here! :)

Good to see you post, BillS.

I was just asking about you as I had not seen you post lately. :)

We do the same thing with $1 ..... I collect an envelope full of singles before we travel, drop in some fives and they are handy for giving small tips along the way. We always know there are some 'small bills' on hand. :)

We were in a regular veranda room and had dinner there one evening. We chose to eat everything that was hot first, then the cold items. My appetizer was a cold soup so I ate that after my main course. Everything was delicious and we had no problem with two plates at a time on the table by the sofa. Enjoy. Oh, and of course we tipped the staff who brought our wonderful dinner.

Good to see you post, BillS.

I was just asking about you as I had not seen you post lately. :)

We do the same thing with $1 ..... I collect an envelope full of singles before we travel, drop in some fives and they are handy for giving small tips along the way. We always know there are some 'small bills' on hand. :)

Hi Sail!

Of late, I have been more of a lurker than poster. I always read your threads and posts, as you bring a lot to the HAL forum.

We are in San Diego & will be boarding the Zaandam on Saturday, a special cruise for DW's birthday!

Regardless of the cabin size or whether we have a verandah, we always manage with room service breakfast each morning. I have to get a bunch of "ones" tomorrow! :).

Regardless of the cabin size or whether we have a verandah, we always manage with room service breakfast each morning. I have to get a bunch of "ones" tomorrow! :).

Well you don't have to tip; but you can if you want to. Just so others are not confused that they have to tip too. They do not. It is an included dining option already covered in your cruise price.

Well you don't have to tip; but you can if you want to. Just so others are not confused that they have to tip too. They do not. It is an included dining option already covered in your cruise price.

I never said nor implied that extra tips were required or even suggested. Why do you even care whether we give extra tips? You already mentioned the fact that no one has to give extra tips in your first post in this thread. Frankly, I don't care that you or anyone else doesn't give extra tips and I don't judge people who do or don't. It is our personal choice to do so. With over 200 "hard" days with HAL, I do not need any lectures about tipping policies. Give it a rest, please.

Hi Sail!

Of late, I have been more of a lurker than poster. I always read your threads and posts, as you bring a lot to the HAL forum.

We are in San Diego & will be boarding the Zaandam on Saturday, a special cruise for DW's birthday!

Bill....

So good to hear from you and especially that you are preparing to board a 'dam' ship.

Hope your DW has a wonderful birthday and you both have a great cruise.

You know, of course, I ditto all your words regarding tipping the fine HAL stewards/crew. :)

Fair Winds and a Following Sea........

Bon Voyage!

When room service is delivered, what is the protocol?

I mean, when I answer the door, do I let the person in with the tray and they put it down on the desk. Or do I take the tray at the door. And the hallway is so tiny, how do I let them in, pass by or back up and they get the door. I always have an awkward dance at the door (that i likely cause) when it's delivered.

I've never known if they can/should come in the room or would even want to. I would prefer they would put it down for me, but felt they might be uncomfortable to enter the room, especially in the early morning, when some might still be sleeping.

Anyone know what the ideal, preferred way is?

When room service is delivered, what is the protocol?

I grab my tip money on the way to the door. Then, I open the door and back out of the way so the steward can bring the tray in. That tray is much too heavy for me to even consider taking!

I direct where I want the tray placed, then reach out to shake the steward's hand/palm the tip, as I say "Thank you". I follow him to the door so I can reset the deadbolt when it's closed.

The tray is large, but not necessarily heavy - only depending upon how much you have ordered.

The steward will place it where you want it so be sure you have a cleared spot available before he knocks. Important is to call InRoom Dining to have the tray picked up and not leave it in the hallway, as one often does in hotels. Yes, it is an awkward ballet at the door to squeeze yourself out of the way while making way for the steward and tray to enter.

Once you are finished, some leave the tray for their room steward to take care of, but there is a little advisory card often left on the tray asking to call #92 to arrange pick up.

PS: no tipping is necessary because this is an inclusive dining option you already paid for with your initial fare and will be covered in your daily recommended service charge.

[quote name='SwissMyst'][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=4][U][B].....<SNIP>.........[/B][/U][/SIZE][/FONT]PS: no tipping is necessary because this is an inclusive dining option you already paid for with your initial fare and will be covered in your daily recommended service charge.[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue][B]
Snipped only the portion stated because:

It should be noted that IF YOU wish to TIP at the Time of Service, the In Room Dining Stewards will be happy to accept. It is included as Swiss says, but the tip you give them when they deliver the service is NOT shared by all the other stewards or Hotel Staff as is the INCLUDED $11.50 or $12.00 Hotel Serv[SIZE=4]ice Charge [/SIZE]per person per day. [U]This additional Tip is his/hers to keep:)[/U]

Joanie[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='SwissMyst']Last cruise we were informed 70% of the recommended per person daily service charge goes to the cabin and dining room stewards - 30% to "others".[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue][B]
And......100% of what I give to my In Room Dining Steward when he delivers my order goes to him:) He does not lose that 30% of his tip to someone who has nothing to do with my order:)

Joanie[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='itzmered']wow I thought the OP asked about where to eat in your room yet the majority of the posts are about tipping :confused:[/quote]

I know. Some people seem to have some very passionate feelings about this issue and cannot let it go. I wonder where that comes from? :confused:

Archived