Passport or Copy

LostFan#1

well why copy blank pages.. makes no sense since they do not stamp them on caribbean cruises.. its pg 2 photo. page 3 signature and 4 for vital info here in Canada anyways.. I am not going to copy 24 blank pages LOL jmho

well why copy blank pages.. makes no sense since they do not stamp them on caribbean cruises.. its pg 2 photo. page 3 signature and 4 for vital info here in Canada anyways.. I am not going to copy 24 blank pages LOL jmho

You do realize as a non us citizen that carnival will hold your passport until the end of the cruise.

More info here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=117948

Try and board a plane in the US with your copy or try and board a ship in the US using only a copy; Now that you've thought that over, think about trying to arrange to leave a foreign country and board a plane on foreign soil using a copy for ID; Not likely to be accepted. Passport copies are to be used in emergencies to obtain replacements; not for routine identification. So what if you loose it while at port; they'll let you back on the ship but if you end up stranded in the foreign country, they won't let you board a plane for the US without a proper passport.

There are proponents for both: taking the original or taking a copy.

Deb is right. Different strokes for different folks.

We take our passports ashore. If something should happen and you miss the ship, you will need an original passport to get on an airplane to leave a foreign country. A copy of the passport won't do.

However, if you do have a copy, it will help expedite the procedure for obtaining a replacement. From the US Embassy, when it is open, if it's in the city where you are stranded, after you fill out the forms, and have your picture taken, etc.

Just my $.02

Charlie

Paul Medik and 98Charlie, that is great advice. I never really worried about being stranded in another country although I've read about it happening to others. I was wavering between the two options. You've both convinced me that the best thing to do is carry that original ashore! Thanks! :)

You do realize as a non us citizen that carnival will hold your passport until the end of the cruise.

More info here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=117948

Earlier I had heard from another cruiser who recently got off the ship, that Carnival is no longer holding the passports of Canadians and non-US citizens.

No, they took it when you boarded the ship and kept it until final debarkation.

Well that is silly... maybe the policy will change if the new passport laws are passed.. What happens if we miss the ship in port??? Just because we are not American citizens we can't get home... makes absolutely no sense to me

Thanks for everyone's "two cents' " worth - guess my water "wallet" better be pretty water-tight if I'm taking my passport snorkeling with me. I'm not sure it will fit in there - a locker rental then?

Debbie

Well that is silly... maybe the policy will change if the new passport laws are passed.. What happens if we miss the ship in port??? Just because we are not American citizens we can't get home... makes absolutely no sense to me

I gotta agree with you. That makes no sense that they let we Americans keep ours but take yours.

Strange.

It never really made sense to me either.

I know that in Europe they used to hold your passport at some hotels and not at others.

I have read on another thread that if they are holding your passport and you are not registered back on board by your ship boarding card, that the ship will leave your passport with their local agency. Don't know if that is true or not. Anyone know for sure?

Charlie

We take our passports with us to the cruise ship. (Then put them into our cabin safe.)

For SHORE EXCURSIONS & GOING INTO PORTS in the Caribbean ... we use a COPY of our passports.

(We only "copy" the page with the picture.)

Never had any problem doing this!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

I have read on another thread that if they are holding your passport and you are not registered back on board by your ship boarding card, that the ship will leave your passport with their local agency. Don't know if that is true or not. Anyone know for sure?

Charlie

Don't know if it true or not but I am not volunteering to test it out. :eek:

I do know that on both our cruises, the passports were taken at embarkation, held in the Pursor's Office and returned when you went to the assigned area for clearning Immigration.

[speculation] With those ports using the new clearance system (Miami) they may have decided to not take the passports at embarkation [/speculation]

If correct, that would be a rather drastic change.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=177047

Here is the post where I asked a recent Glory cruiser (Canadian) about whether or not his passport was held, and he said it wasn't, because of a change in policy. Would be weird if this was an experience unique to this particular cruiser.

For SHORE EXCURSIONS & GOING INTO PORTS in the Caribbean ... we use a COPY of our passports.
Same for us - however we also carry a certified copy of our birth certificates - which, at least for now, is adequate for travel in most of the Caribbean for US citizens.

I make copies of my passport when I travel anywahere to give to someone at home "just in case." If I'm on a cruise I keep a copy in the room safe and I carry the original when I get off the ship. If in a hotel in a foreign country I have a copy placed in the hotel safe, I carry the original.

Archived