Tipping - New Policy

Hi All,

I just received an email from RCCL stating that beginning on March 1, 2013, Tipping would be mandatory and that a charge of $12 per day would be automatically charged to your onboard account.

Here is the body of the message:

We look forward to welcoming you onboard for your upcoming Royal Caribbean International cruise vacation!

As you prepare to set sail, we wanted to notify you of a change to our gratuity policy. As of March 1, 2013, Royal Caribbean will add an automatic daily gratuity of $12.00 USD ($14.25 USD for Suite guests) to the onboard account of each guest to be shared by Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants and Other Housekeeping Services Personnel that work to enhance your cruise. This gratuity replaces our previously recommended gratuity guidelines.

If you have already prepaid gratuities for your upcoming cruise, this policy change will not affect you. Accordingly, we will not apply the daily gratuity to your account while you are onboard. If you have not prepaid your gratuities, you will see the daily automatic gratuity applied to your onboard SeaPass® account during your upcoming cruise.

Oh, sorry! I had not seen any of the posts!

We just sailed on Explorer a few weeks ago. Maybe I missed the discussion then.

I am glad that they are doing something. I was shocked at how empty the dining room was on the last night. I truly believe it was because some of the people were "ducking" the wait staff.

They work so hard to make our vacations wonderful. They deserve much more than the $12 per day!

wonder how is going to affect the TA's that pre-pay the gratuities for their clients, if the TA's will still pre-pay. I wish notification would go out sooner as I had always paid in cash. A 3 night cruise in a suite is $85.50 for 2 people, that's a lot to come up with at the last minute. In the future I'll calculate the amount to bring and pay it on my Seapass the last night of the cruise. We try to not have a lot left on our Seapass to be charged to the credit card.

Does anyone know if the automatic gratuity will still be added to drinks as well. I hope so, because I don't think the $12 is enough. It is only 25 cents more than before.

Yes, the automatic 15% is still added to drinks. The $12 pp per day is only for the stateroom attendant (and helpers), waiter, assistant waiter, and headwaiter.

Just FYI - I just got off the Explorer on Tuesday and had earlier received the email stating that automatic gratuity of $12 a day would be added to my account. However, that was not the case on board. I still tipped in cash with the envelopes on the final night. I even called the front desk when I realized that $12 was not being added onto my account each day. They said it is still the normal tipping policy for now. I'd be interested in knowing if people on the next sailing got the new policy or old.

Just FYI - I just got off the Explorer on Tuesday and had earlier received the email stating that automatic gratuity of $12 a day would be added to my account. However, that was not the case on board. I still tipped in cash with the envelopes on the final night. I even called the front desk when I realized that $12 was not being added onto my account each day. They said it is still the normal tipping policy for now. I'd be interested in knowing if people on the next sailing got the new policy or old.

Your cruise started on February 24th. The new Auto Tipping Policy went into effect for all itineraries beginning on and after March 1, 2013.

One man - Two stunners - Lucky Guy!

Yes, the automatic 15% is still added to drinks. The $12 pp per day is only for the stateroom attendant (and helpers), waiter, assistant waiter, and headwaiter.

Does this now confirm the possibility of the whole ship being on "MTD"?

Potential havoc?

Your cruise started on February 24th. The new Auto Tipping Policy went into effect for all itineraries beginning on and after March 1, 2013.

No, the email I received clearly said that my upcoming cruise was included.

Edited by luckyprincess

Hi All,

I just received an email from RCCL stating that beginning on March 1, 2013, Tipping would be mandatory and that a charge of $12 per day would be automatically charged to your onboard account.

Here is the body of the message:

We look forward to welcoming you onboard for your upcoming Royal Caribbean International cruise vacation!

As you prepare to set sail, we wanted to notify you of a change to our gratuity policy. As of March 1, 2013, Royal Caribbean will add an automatic daily gratuity of $12.00 USD ($14.25 USD for Suite guests) to the onboard account of each guest to be shared by Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants and Other Housekeeping Services Personnel that work to enhance your cruise. This gratuity replaces our previously recommended gratuity guidelines.

If you have already prepaid gratuities for your upcoming cruise, this policy change will not affect you. Accordingly, we will not apply the daily gratuity to your account while you are onboard. If you have not prepaid your gratuities, you will see the daily automatic gratuity applied to your onboard SeaPass® account during your upcoming cruise.

so.???

Bob is right. The 15% gratuity is still added on to bar purchases, mini-bar items, and also spa and salon services.

No, the email I received clearly said that my upcoming cruise was included.

From the RCI website...........

"Effective on sailings departing on or after March 1, 2013. This gratuity replaces our previously recommended gratuity guidelines and will apply to all guests who did not prepay gratuities before February 28, 2013."

From the RCI website...........

"Effective on sailings departing on or after March 1, 2013. This gratuity replaces our previously recommended gratuity guidelines and will apply to all guests who did not prepay gratuities before February 28, 2013."

That may be but they specifically mentioned in my email that it would be effective for my sailing which included March 1st. Regardless, as seems to happen with RCCL they changed policy or weren't able to institute it quick enough for my sailing after all but I assure you they specifically said my sailing was included.

So? So she is posting it to update people of a new policy that RCCL is instituting. I didn't think it was that hard to understand, lol :p

Thank you Princess for defending my honor...LOL

I apologized earlier for missing the fact that some of you had already discussed this while I was sailing.

I also apologize to you, Fas64, for obviously upsetting you so much that you felt the need to be so nasty.

Thank you Princess for defending my honor...LOL

I apologized earlier for missing the fact that some of you had already discussed this while I was sailing.

I also apologize to you, Fas64, for obviously upsetting you so much that you felt the need to be so nasty.

No need to apologize for trying to be helpful. Just ignore certain comments, as long as you know your intent.:D

I am glad you did post this as I also had missed it before.I just booked a Rccl cruise and the travel agent did not say anything about this,I am really amazed that Rccl would take this approach.We just got off the NCL Dawn on Sun. and I can tell you that the service is not even close to Rccl. When a person knows they will get paid anyway they just seem to care a little less about their service to you. It will be interesting in a few months to hear some feedback on this move.

I always tip if I have received good service,I am a generous person.and I don't have particular high expectations .as long as I get service politely I am ok.

If tips are now mandatory will the service with a smile suddenly diminish?

Sorry but tips are after having received a service not before,blinking cheek!

If it was a housekeeping charge fair do's.

But it's a tip?

I just fail to understand this whole concept.

Happy cruising btw :)

I am glad you did post this as I also had missed it before.I just booked a Rccl cruise and the travel agent did not say anything about this,I am really amazed that Rccl would take this approach.We just got off the NCL Dawn on Sun. and I can tell you that the service is not even close to Rccl. When a person knows they will get paid anyway they just seem to care a little less about their service to you. It will be interesting in a few months to hear some feedback on this move.

How strange we posted a similar opinion at the same time??lol:D