Tipping - New Policy

But if the customer had not taken off auto gratuities, then the employee would have still been sharing anyway. Only difference would be that if everyone goes to auto gratuity, then they are sharing 100% instead of a possible 85% so why would that be better. Why would they take it off YouTube unless it was proven to be a fake or a lie.

Because the guy was complaining/whining. My guess is RCI has a policy about what employees can and can't do on social media.

Edited by BND

has anyone noticed that the first 13 pages of this thread were written in March 2013. when it was resurrected for some unfathomable reason on the 4th of July it continued as a continuation of the same arguments.

If you read the thread you'd see someone mentioned it a couple of pages back. What is the issue with how old the thread is? Obviously, there are people who don't understand how it works.

In the past, I have asked crew members if they preferred I pay the gratuities in cash or auto-gratuity. One said 'either' one said 'auto'.

If anyone is really concerned about how the cash is being distributed they should just ask their waiter/cabin steward how they prefer to be paid. If you're on MTD you're prepaid and it would be difficult to allocate tips as you may change waiters.

Maybe we should all start asking this and report back how the question was answered.

I'm not saying to ask them how much they are paid, just how they prefer to be paid.

Edited by marci22

The list is given to the cabin attendants I believe the day before your actual sail date. How do I know that? Because we pretty much always stay in the same room and when I walk into my room on embarkation day and see a bed sheet on the couch, I know who my cabin attendant is. Also, on that same list they also advise the cabin attendant who has pre paid their gratuities as per my cabin attendant.

As of embarkation day the only thing they could see are prepaid gratuities. The issue being discussed is actually auto gratuities which is automatically charged to the sea pass each day. That could change each day, because you could go to guest services any day of the cruise and opt out of the automatic gratuities.

They don't know you paid cash, but they do realize some people do. They assume that most people who remove them do pay in cash so they "charge" the individual a percentage just in case they are pocketing money and not reporting income/sharing in the pool.

Read the posts above this one. Someone else mentions lists and it's been widely reported as well as at least one photo of the "list" circulated.

I was responding to your comment asking me why I would think they didn't know. Funny thing is that you are saying Royal assumes most people who remove gratuities pay in cash which contradicts what a lot of the people who mention the "lists" say. Many comments on here insinuate that the people who remove auto gratuities pay nothing and just stiff the employees. This is why I have questions about the validity of any of it. I can't tell you what really happens and I doubt anyone else on these threads can either. That is why I believe everyone has to make their own conclusions and act they they believe they should with no judgements or recriminations. I am not saying I am right and someone else is wrong. I am admitting that I really don't know what is true.

As of embarkation day the only thing they could see are prepaid gratuities. The issue being discussed is actually auto gratuities which is automatically charged to the sea pass each day. That could change each day, because you could go to guest services any day of the cruise and opt out of the automatic gratuities.

Yes you are correct it is auto grats. that are talking about and not prepaid grats.

Well I'm just going to make it real simple then------no prepaid grats, will definitely remove the auto grats, and no way in HECK am I tipping in cash. Do you have any ideas how many more drinks I could buy with the tip money from a family of 5???;)

I was responding to your comment asking me why I would think they didn't know. Funny thing is that you are saying Royal assumes most people who remove gratuities pay in cash which contradicts what a lot of the people who mention the "lists" say. Many comments on here insinuate that the people who remove auto gratuities pay nothing and just stiff the employees. This is why I have questions about the validity of any of it. I can't tell you what really happens and I doubt anyone else on these threads can either. That is why I believe everyone has to make their own conclusions and act they they believe they should with no judgements or recriminations. I am not saying I am right and someone else is wrong. I am admitting that I really don't know what is true.

Okay, then, they are treating those that remove gratuities as if they are paying in cash. Point is, they require a pooled amount from their employees.

You are overthinking this.

Okay, then, they are treating those that remove gratuities as if they are paying in cash. Point is, they require a pooled amount from their employees.

You are overthinking this.

Actually I am not overthinking it. I was trying to make the point that I do not believe they require the employees to pool the cash they get. And that nothing on these threads has proven otherwise. And it bothers me that people assume just because someone says something on here that it is true. That is my only point and now I will let it rest so that I don't start to overthink it. Thanks.

Most posts about how to tip are self-serving. It's not about what you believe regarding tipping, that it makes you feel better to tip one way or the other, etc. If you're really concerned about the welfare of the workers, ask the waiters/steward if they prefer auto grats or cash. Then do that.

I know where mine will go because i will be the one handing them out. :)

+1

I'll make the decision who has provided service above and beyond. I don't need to be dictated to by a company that doesn't look after it's workers by paying them a fair wage but I do like to reward exceptional service if I receive it. The logic of tipping because the cruise line doesn't pay its workers a decent wage escapes me.

I have read every one of the posts in this thread and there are a wide range of views. At the end of the day it should be up to the customer to a) tip if they wish to and b) do it in any way they see fit. In my opinion it should be a personal choice, not something that is dictated by others.

I have a lot more to say on this subject but I think I might leave it there for now, but I wanted to voice my opinion as others have done.

Happy cruising

Edited by mildew1951

has anyone noticed that the first 13 pages of this thread were written in March 2013. when it was resurrected for some unfathomable reason on the 4th of July it continued as a continuation of the same arguments.

Why should that bother you, if you have a problem with this thread don't open it.Seems people want to debate the issue.Have a great next cruise.:)

Edited by caribbean sailor

Why should that bother you if you have a problem with this thread don't open it.Seems people want to debate the issue.Have a great next cruise.:)

I like debating this issue. I think its one that is really important and on the verge of change. Personally.

I like debating this issue. I think its one that is really important and on the verge of change. Personally.

Don't have an opinion if it is on the verge of change. I think it should change. Either include it in the fare or require a service charge. Likely they will go the service charge route if they change it. They won't unless a large percentage remove the gratuities. Whether they give with cash or just don't give. I believe most don't remove gratuities and that of those who do remove them, that most do tip. So it might be a while before there is any change.