Tipping - New Policy

When we booked our upcoming cruise last September there was an option to include our tips with our cost of the cruise.

We did.

For us it is done. We recognize it as part of the cost of sailing.

I hate having a big on-board bill.

DH will have a couple drinks a day, so he got the drink package.

For me the soda package does me well.

I am a cheap date so the two glasses of bubbly I get in the CL every night keeps me happy.

Of course we recognize those that go above and beyond ----and also take the time to tip in the CL.

Sea Ya

When I booked my cruise back in February I didn't have a choice, it wasn't an option, tips were automatically added to our booking. I have read that you can have this changed but what's done is done. I don't have to worry about keeping my tip money separate from my spending money. I will tip beyond for excellent service.

When we booked our upcoming cruise last September there was an option to include our tips with our cost of the cruise.

We did.

For us it is done. We recognize it as part of the cost of sailing.

I hate having a big on-board bill.

DH will have a couple drinks a day, so he got the drink package.

For me the soda package does me well.

I am a cheap date so the two glasses of bubbly I get in the CL every night keeps me happy.

Of course we recognize those that go above and beyond ----and also take the time to tip in the CL.

Sea Ya

Our TA usually adds our gratuities unless there's a really good reason not to, like a lot of OBC. By doing this, you're also protected from gratuity increases.

When I worked at YMCA of the Rockies, I got only a couple hundred dollars a month, but our room and board was included. So, the salary was all spending money. I suspect the passengers get something similar.

When I booked my cruise back in February I didn't have a choice, it wasn't an option, tips were automatically added to our booking. I have read that you can have this changed but what's done is done. I don't have to worry about keeping my tip money separate from my spending money. I will tip beyond for excellent service.

You must have been assigned My Time Dining, otherwise you should have had a choice to add prepaid tips or not.

There are posters who know the system better, but when you tip in cash you could be impacting how much they are actually receiving because the auto gratuities are figured into their compensation.

I dont' see what the big deal is. Whether it's auto grats or tips handed out. Especially those whining about "living wage", etc. You're not helping anyone by withdrawing/not paying auto grats and handing over cash from everything I've read. Also, auto grats are not mandatory unless you're doing MTD. Some of the posters here act like they are.

We leave them in place and actually usually prepay them, but we also give cash tips in addition. That to me, is the best way to show your appreciation.

Next time, ask your server and stewards which they prefer.....

I did on our last cruise 1/21/14 and i will quote sever. CASH IS BEST was his reply.:)

There are posters who know the system better, but when you tip in cash you could be impacting how much they are actually receiving because the auto gratuities are figured into their compensation.

I dont' see what the big deal is. Whether it's auto grats or tips handed out. Especially those whining about "living wage", etc. You're not helping anyone by withdrawing/not paying auto grats and handing over cash from everything I've read. Also, auto grats are not mandatory unless you're doing MTD. Some of the posters here act like they are.

We leave them in place and actually usually prepay them, but we also give cash tips in addition. That to me, is the best way to show your appreciation.

Next time, ask your server and stewards which they prefer.....

Just to clarify when I said pay a living wage I don't mean they are not earning enough compensation to live on. It's that with the current system their wage is not paid directly, it is not transparent, it is supplemented by the gratuities to make up their compensation. I would prefer them to get a transparent, salary. Like I do. Crew members will tell you their salary is $50 a month. That is true, but that is not the whole story. They are guaranteed a minimum of compensation which is above that $50 a month. Whatever is prepaid, auto collected, and yes the cash tips too, goes into the pool and distributed. I leave auto gratuities in place because as you say it is not helping anyone by not paying the auto gratuities. One way or another there is a system of sharing. For those who opt out of auto gratuities, they figure in that a certain percentage stiff. On the video posted by a crew member, RC was forcing the crew to turn over 85% of what was expected to the pool, whether that was actually tipped or not. In other words they expected that 15% of the passengers stiffed on the gratuities and used that as a formula. Those who think that by paying in cash, that 100% of the cash is going to that crew member ........those people are dreaming. One way or another the crew member is going to pay out a part of it.

Just to clarify when I said pay a living wage I don't mean they are not earning enough compensation to live on. It's that with the current system their wage is not paid directly, it is not transparent, it is supplemented by the gratuities to make up their compensation. I would prefer them to get a transparent, salary. Like I do. Crew members will tell you their salary is $50 a month. That is true, but that is not the whole story. They are guaranteed a minimum of compensation which is above that $50 a month. Whatever is prepaid, auto collected, and yes the cash tips too, goes into the pool and distributed. I leave auto gratuities in place because as you say it is not helping anyone by not paying the auto gratuities. One way or another there is a system of sharing. For those who opt out of auto gratuities, they figure in that a certain percentage stiff. On the video posted by a crew member, RC was forcing the crew to turn over 85% of what was expected to the pool, whether that was actually tipped or not. In other words they expected that 15% of the passengers stiffed on the gratuities and used that as a formula. Those who think that by paying in cash, that 100% of the cash is going to that crew member ........those people are dreaming. One way or another the crew member is going to pay out a part of it.

Help me out here..I leave the auto tips in place and always leave a cash gift in an envelope with a thank you note to my cabin steward, waiter, ass't waiter and maitre'd .

We give cash nightly in the Diamond lounge to our bar servers with a little something extra the last evening. I also leave tips on he WJ for great service as well as cash tips for the bartenders at the pool bar, schooner bar, etc.

Are you telling me they have to pool this money?

On occasion, I have given cash to staff that I see working the wee hours cleaning when everyone else is asleep. You know, the people behind the scenes..polishing the floor to the promenade, polishing stair rails, etc.

Are you telling me they have to pool the cash?

Please say it ain't so!

Help me out here..I leave the auto tips in place and always leave a cash gift in an envelope with a thank you note to my cabin steward, waiter, ass't waiter and maitre'd .

We give cash nightly in the Diamond lounge to our bar servers with a little something extra the last evening. I also leave tips on he WJ for great service as well as cash tips for the bartenders at the pool bar, schooner bar, etc.

On occasion, I have given cash to staff that I see working the wee hours cleaning when everyone else is asleep. You know, the people behind the scenes..polishing the floor to the promenade, polishing stair rails, etc.

Please say it ain't so!

If you leave the auto tips in place anything you add they get to keep. It is only the auto tip that is pooled. Additional tips you give won't get pooled. ( its possible the Diamond staff pools tips among themseves ) For those who take the auto tips off and tip in cash, the recipients will also keep anything over the standard gratuity amount. They will only be responsible for pooling up to the recommended amounts.

Edited by Charles4515

Please say it ain't so!

Pooling of tips is very common. One of our favorite restaurants pools tips because they do "team" service and they are never short of applicants. Just as on a ship, you are served by virtually everyone onboard.

If you leave the auto tips in place anything you add they get to keep. It is only the auto tip that is pooled. Additional tips you give won't get pooled. ( its possible the Diamond staff pools tips among themseves ) If take the auto tips off and tip in cash they will also keep anything over the standard gratuity amount. They will only be responsible for pooling up to the recommended amounts.

I know for a fact when we were on EX and had the D event in the game room up in the Viking Crown that they pooled tips. They had a container and whenever anyone handed them money, it went straight into it. Pooling as I said above is very, very common in service industry jobs, especially waitstaff.

It actually benefits everyone. If you've ever waited tables, you know that a certain percentage will stiff you regardless of how good your service is. Pooling tips allows for that in that everyone gets something. Then, cash over and above the auto gratuities truly goes to the ones that have worked the hardest, etc. If people would just leave the auto gratuities in place and then tip extra, everyone would benefit and those doing outstanding jobs would get more.

The problem is there are people who don't think they have to leave anything because they are just flat out cheap. They also obviously never waited tables in their lives. I did in college for a while. Some people are generous and some are out and out cheapskates out only for themselves.

Edited by BND

RC's system is at least better than Princess who have recently switched to pooling ships of the same class together. At that point it truly is not a tip and just a resort service fee.

Between the mandatory gratuity and mandatory tip pooling, it clearly is a no tip policy for exemplary employees and a misnamed (to be kind) service charge. Even if you gave an envelope to a cabin attendant or cleaning staff for WOW service, it goes into a pool to be shared with the guy who said he'll get you the towel immediately but never showed up again. The WJ attendant who walked right buy an empty dirty table but didn't clean it immediately.

If you leave the auto tips in place anything you add they get to keep. It is only the auto tip that is pooled. Additional tips you give won't get pooled. ( its possible the Diamond staff pools tips among themseves ) For those who take the auto tips off and tip in cash, the recipients will also keep anything over the standard gratuity amount. They will only be responsible for pooling up to the recommended amounts.

Thank you! I was hoping that was the case.

I know for a fact when we were on EX and had the D event in the game room up in the Viking Crown that they pooled tips. They had a container and whenever anyone handed them money, it went straight into it. Pooling as I said above is very, very common in service industry jobs, especially waitstaff.

It actually benefits everyone. If you've ever waited tables, you know that a certain percentage will stiff you regardless of how good your service is. Pooling tips allows for that in that everyone gets something. Then, cash over and above the auto gratuities truly goes to the ones that have worked the hardest, etc. If people would just leave the auto gratuities in place and then tip extra, everyone would benefit and those doing outstanding jobs would get more.

The problem is there are people who don't think they have to leave anything because they are just flat out cheap. They also obviously never waited tables in their lives. I did in college for a while. Some people are generous and some are out and out cheapskates out only for themselves.

I have never waited tables but I do work hard and appreciate all that the staff does for me to make my cruise memorable.

I did encounter quite a few cheapskates on our last cruise and they traveled extensively.

I suppose you are right..only out for themselves. :(

I am apparently wrong based on this posting. Rather than delete the message as if I wasn't wrong, I'll admit it and let it stand for eternity.

I still prefer the option of tipping myself rather than auto tipping. I've had 3 cruises and a couple of hundred hotel nights from Holiday Inn Express to the Paris Hilton to the Four Seasons in Singapore and I always leave cash each morning for the cleaning staff.

I am not cheap nor do I intend to stiff someone, but tipping is personal and I like the option of showing my displeasure by reducing gratuities and increasing for excellence.

I HATE and ABHOR a one size fits all society. Thus endeth the sermon.

Just curious. I keep reading where people have stated on these threads that if you remove your auto-tip and tip in cash, that the employees have to pool part of that up to the "Recommended" amount. My question is, how could that work? How would anyone know if I have taken off my auto gratuities and paid cash. I can't figure out how that system would work. If you are aware of the details could you please share so that I could understand the process. My upcoming cruise is the first one where they are doing the auto-gratuity. I was not happy about it, because I have heard it is not beneficial to the employees and then I don't easily get to decide how to distribute my tips. I am getting to the point where, I don't know that I care. But, misinformation happens to be one of my buttons and I am having a hard time believing this is how the system works, partially because it makes no sense to me for what you are suggesting is possible. I am not trying to be argumentative or disreseptctful, I genuinely am on a mission to understand the process and get to the absolute truth.

Just curious. I keep reading where people have stated on these threads that if you remove your auto-tip and tip in cash, that the employees have to pool part of that up to the "Recommended" amount. My question is, how could that work? How would anyone know if I have taken off my auto gratuities and paid cash. I can't figure out how that system would work. If you are aware of the details could you please share so that I could understand the process. My upcoming cruise is the first one where they are doing the auto-gratuity. I was not happy about it, because I have heard it is not beneficial to the employees and then I don't easily get to decide how to distribute my tips. I am getting to the point where, I don't know that I care. But, misinformation happens to be one of my buttons and I am having a hard time believing this is how the system works, partially because it makes no sense to me for what you are suggesting is possible. I am not trying to be argumentative or disreseptctful, I genuinely am on a mission to understand the process and get to the absolute truth.

Well, the ship knows who removed their auto tips. From what I've heard and read they run a list and can and will question the staff serving those that have removed it to see if they know why. Why would you think that no one would know? Auto gratuities aren't handed over to the crew as cash. It comes in their pay.

You won't ever find the absolute truth......

If you take off auto gratuities the crew will know it. Also they will be asked about it. And the crew gets a list of those who prepay, and those who paid with auto gratuities. When figuring out the distribution they were assuming that of those who removed gratuities that 85% did pay with cash and 15% didn't tip. Since the cruise lines have years of experience with passenger tipping they somehow arrived at that figure. Certainly the actual figures must vary from the average every sailing. We know the crew gets a list and about the 85/15 since an unhappy crew member, he was unhappy that he had to share, posted the lists (and in bad taste even left the passengers names) on Youtube. Included was also a document showing that he "owed" the 85%. Of course that was taken down from Youtube but many were able to view it before it was taken down.

Edited by Charles4515

Well, the ship knows who removed their auto tips. From what I've heard and read they run a list and can and will question the staff serving those that have removed it to see if they know why. Why would you think that no one would know? Auto gratuities aren't handed over to the crew as cash. It comes in their pay.

Maybe guest services should just ask the guest when he/she asks for the gratuities to not be charged to the account. It would be easy enough for the guest to say that they would be handling it in cash. I think it would cause undue stress to the staff if they think the bosses suspect the gratuities were removed because of the service level.

Well, obviously the cruiseline would know I removed auto gratuities but how would they know if I paid cash and how much. And how would the staff know if I removed auto gratuities? And if you say they give out a list, how do you know that and when would that list go out? I could remove auto gratuities on last day

Well, obviously the cruiseline would know I removed auto gratuities but how would they know if I paid cash and how much. And how would the staff know if I removed auto gratuities? And if you say they give out a list, how do you know that and when would that list go out? I could remove auto gratuities on last day

They don't know you paid cash, but they do realize some people do. They assume that most people who remove them do pay in cash so they "charge" the individual a percentage just in case they are pocketing money and not reporting income/sharing in the pool.

Read the posts above this one. Someone else mentions lists and it's been widely reported as well as at least one photo of the "list" circulated.

The list is given to the cabin attendants I believe the day before your actual sail date. How do I know that? Because we pretty much always stay in the same room and when I walk into my room on embarkation day and see a bed sheet on the couch, I know who my cabin attendant is. Also, on that same list they also advise the cabin attendant who has pre paid their gratuities as per my cabin attendant.

You won't ever find the absolute truth......

If you take off auto gratuities the crew will know it. Also they will be asked about it. And the crew gets a list of those who prepay, and those who paid with auto gratuities. When figuring out the distribution they were assuming that of those who removed gratuities that 85% did pay with cash and 15% didn't tip. Since the cruise lines have years of experience with passenger tipping they somehow arrived at that figure. Certainly the actual figures must vary from the average every sailing. We know the crew gets a list and about the 85/15 since an unhappy crew member, he was unhappy that he had to share, posted the lists (and in bad taste even left the passengers names) on Youtube. Included was also a document showing that he "owed" the 85%. Of course that was taken down from Youtube but many were able to view it before it was taken down.

But if the customer had not taken off auto gratuities, then the employee would have still been sharing anyway. Only difference would be that if everyone goes to auto gratuity, then they are sharing 100% instead of a possible 85% so why would that be better. Why would they take it off YouTube unless it was proven to be a fake or a lie.