Tipping - New Policy

On TV last month, there was one of those "undercover reporter" shows, where a reporter with a hidden camera went on a Celebrity boat with a job as a stateroom attendant.

Cutting a long story short, there didnt seem much point is passengers paying the daily charge, as if tips didnt reach a certain level, the cruiseline made it up anyway (to their minimum wage), and it was only if tips exceeded the minimum wage that the staff got to keep any of the tips. The guy on the show didnt see any of the tips over the minimum wage target.

they do work in the mdr. they are assistant waiters and they do 1 week rotations working the windjammer at dinnertime.

Not al of them. Some are in training and hope to move up to assistant in the MDR.

Tipping threads will neve go away. I think the cruise lines are in a transition. Right now it is an automatic gratuity charge. Soon it will be called a service charge. And right after that happens folks will be talking about how the staff should be tipped. Then we are right back to where we started plus a service charge on top of it all.

No we would not be back where we started. There are a lot of places in the world that have a service charge instead of tipping, and tipping is not done. None has ever expected a tip if there is a service charge.

No we would not be back where we started. There are a lot of places in the world that have a service charge instead of tipping, and tipping is not done. None has ever expected a tip if there is a service charge.

I think Ocean Boy is right on this. For instance, there is a service charge for dining at the specialty restaurants on-board that specifically states that it includes gratuities. Yet, there have been many threads on here about the need to tip additional amounts above and beyond the set charge.

Then why are envelopes still left in the room and people are saying they are leaving extra for good service? Not that it's a bad thing but the future could evolve into what Ocean Boy is saying.

When I go to Beaches Resorts-the tip is included in your price and if you try to give money to the employees they will not take it. They have said they can loose their job and really love working at the resorts and do not want to risk it. The only thing not covered under tips is the Butler, if you choose that service and they tell you that right up front. All others, including the concierge are covered.

Edited by Debde

Then why are envelopes still left in the room and people are saying they are leaving extra for good service? Not that it's a bad thing but the future could evolve into what Ocean Boy is saying.

When I go to Beaches Resorts-the tip is included in your price and if you try to give money to the employees they will not take it. They have said they can loose their job and really love working at the resorts and do not want to risk it. The only thing not covered under tips is the Butler, if you choose that service and they tell you that right up front. All others, including the concierge are covered.

I have been on many cruise lines with automatic gratuities and have not had envelopes left in my room. Last October on Celebrity with Select dining no envelopes left in my cabin. I have not been on Royal Caribbean since the new policy so I don't know if envelopes are still left. I will know that in a couple of weeks. But in any case if they did put out envelopes and you have done prepaid of automatic gratuities just ignore any envelopes. Again on Celebrity, HAL, Cunard, Princess, Carnival, I have not got any envelopes since they went to auto tipping.

As far as leaving extra for good service I suspect only a very small minority or doing that. I used to do that when tipping was in cash but now I go with the flow and expect most do the same.

I have been on many cruise lines with automatic gratuities and have not had envelopes left in my room. Last October on Celebrity with Select dining no envelopes left in my cabin. I have not been on Royal Caribbean since the new policy so I don't know if envelopes are still left. I will know that in a couple of weeks. But in any case if they did put out envelopes and you have done prepaid of automatic gratuities just ignore any envelopes. Again on Celebrity, HAL, Cunard, Princess, Carnival, I have not got any envelopes since they went to auto tipping.

As far as leaving extra for good service I suspect only a very small minority or doing that. I used to do that when tipping was in cash but now I go with the flow and expect most do the same.

RCI is leaving out envelopes just incase you might want to leave a little extra after those pre-paid gratuities.... or maybe as a slight hint just in case the thought had not crossed one's mind.

Edited by Ocean Boy

RCI is leaving out envelopes just incase you might want to leave a little extra after those pre-paid gratuities.... or maybe as a slight hint just in case the thought had not crossed one's mind.

We weren't supplied with envelopes on my recent cruise. There were some available at the Guest Services desk, if you wanted them, though.

Last week on the Mariner we had MTD, so our gratuities were pre-paid. On the last day, our cabin steward left us 2 envelopes that were a little different than the ones I've seen in the past. They were for cash tips for "WOW" service. My cabin steward had already filled his name in on one of the envelopes!:eek: I thought that was presumptuous, and it rubbed me the wrong way. He was a good cabin steward, but by doing that he reduced the figure I had in my head!:p

Leaving envelopes in the cabin or having some available at the pursers desk for those who want to give extra to someone who did something special? I have not heard they were leaving them in the cabin since the new policy, I will see myself in a couple of weeks as I am cruising on Allure May 5.

As I said I have done prepaid and automatic gratuities many times since I cruise 2 to 4 times a year on multiple cruise lines, Royal Caribbean was the only mass market line that was still doing cash until now for the last several years, and no one has hinted on those lines to me about giving extra. Or if they have I did not get the hint.....

Last week on the Mariner we had MTD, so our gratuities were pre-paid. On the last day, our cabin steward left us 2 envelopes that were a little different than the ones I've seen in the past. They were for cash tips for "WOW" service. My cabin steward had already filled his name in on one of the envelopes!:eek: I thought that was presumptuous, and it rubbed me the wrong way. He was a good cabin steward, but by doing that he reduced the figure I had in my head!:p

That would rub me the wrong way too.

If I did think someone deserved something extra I would not give it to them in an envelope. I would discreetly hand them cash. That is what I have done for a concierge who did us for us something beyond and servers in the Diamond Lounge who were great.

Same thing happened to us on our cruise last week. We had pre paid tips and the wow envelopes were also left in the cabin on the last night.

We did tip extra but I can see people not liking the fact that extra tipping is expected.

Leaving envelopes in the cabin or having some available at the pursers desk for those who want to give extra to someone who did something special? I have not heard they were leaving them in the cabin since the new policy, I will see myself in a couple of weeks as I am cruising on Allure May 5.

As I said I have done prepaid and automatic gratuities many times since I cruise 2 to 4 times a year on multiple cruise lines, Royal Caribbean was the only mass market line that was still doing cash until now for the last several years, and no one has hinted on those lines to me about giving extra. Or if they have I did not get the hint.....

I was simply relating to you my experience on Independence last month. So now you have heard of it.

That would rub me the wrong way too.

If I did think someone deserved something extra I would not give it to them in an envelope. I would discreetly hand them cash. That is what I have done for a concierge who did us for us something beyond and servers in the Diamond Lounge who were great.

I write thank you notes and include my cash tip in the envelope with the note...I certainly don't need someone to fill in their name for me!:eek: To me, it was just as bold as if he was standing at my door with his hand out, saying, "Please Miss Cynthia, may I have some cash?":rolleyes:

I think Ocean Boy is right on this. For instance, there is a service charge for dining at the specialty restaurants on-board that specifically states that it includes gratuities. Yet, there have been many threads on here about the need to tip additional amounts above and beyond the set charge.

I believe the reason for that is that they don't tell anyone and no one knows how much the gratuity is. and some feel (myself included) the service warrants extra gratuity even though it is included since they dont know how much the included gratuity is.

I believe the reason for that is that they don't tell anyone and no one knows how much the gratuity is. and some feel (myself included) the service warrants extra gratuity even though it is included since they dont know how much the included gratuity is.

That's my point. If they tell you the gratuity is included, some people are fine with that. Others have to second-guess it and try to figure out the salaries of each worker and exactly how much of the surcharge goes to whom, etc. So, it definitely wouldn't be the end of tipping threads on CC. ;)

The point of "gratuities included" should be that you don't have to worry about it. You could still give more if you want, but you know that you are covered. But many people (yourself included) aren't satisfied with that.

That's my point. If they tell you the gratuity is included, some people are fine with that. Others have to second-guess it and try to figure out the salaries of each worker and exactly how much of the surcharge goes to whom, etc. So, it definitely wouldn't be the end of tipping threads on CC. ;)

The point of "gratuities included" should be that you don't have to worry about it. You could still give more if you want, but you know that you are covered. But many people (yourself included) aren't satisfied with that.

ok bad choice of words on my part. its not that im not satisfied with that its just that i look at it as the same as giving the mdr waiter or room steward extra. and i dont give extra because i dont know how much the gratuity is i give extra because i think its deserved. thats all

I was simply relating to you my experience on Independence last month. So now you have heard of it.

If they put those in my cabin on May 12 I will not put anything in the envelopes. As I have said none of the other cruise lines that auto collect gratuities does that and I think it stinks. I will let Royal Caribbean know my opinion on that if I get WOW envelopes.

The point of "gratuities included" should be that you don't have to worry about it. You could still give more if you want, but you know that you are covered. But many people (yourself included) aren't satisfied with that.[/quo

I agree completely with your point. well said

The point of "gratuities included" should be that you don't have to worry about it. You could still give more if you want, but you know that you are covered. But many people (yourself included) aren't satisfied with that.[/quo

I agree completely with your point. well said

So true, we pre-paid the tips before the cruise and was just going to leave it at that, but the last night of the cruise we were at dinner and all the wait staff were so great that I sent my husband back to the room to get extra cash.

ok bad choice of words on my part. its not that im not satisfied with that its just that i look at it as the same as giving the mdr waiter or room steward extra. and i dont give extra because i dont know how much the gratuity is i give extra because i think its deserved. thats all

How do you decide how much extra someone deserves if you don't know how much they got in the first place? Is it just a matter of no matter how much they got they deserve $20.00 (pick any number) more on top of the unknown quantity whether they got 10%, 15%, or 20% of the restaurant supplemental fee?

How do you decide how much extra someone deserves if you don't know how much they got in the first place? Is it just a matter of no matter how much they got they deserve $20.00 (pick any number) more on top of the unknown quantity whether they got 10%, 15%, or 20% of the restaurant supplemental fee?

Why does it matter how much they got in the first place? If gratuities are included, that implies that they got an appropriate amount. If you feel led to give them extra, you can give whatever you please.

i dont know how. this is my point. this is one reason for so many of the threads. some people give different amounts. some give nothing since the tip is included. for me, if i give extra its not more than $10-$20. I know the tip is included and i dont care how much it is, if i feel the service is that good, i will give a little extra.

I do the same with the mdr servers and room stewards. we leave the gratuities on our account or prepay them and then tip extra if we feel the serivce warrants. which it usually does. I think this is reasonable.

i do not, however, understand why its such a big secret (the gratuity amount at the specialties). i mean if you think about it, if they said the grat was $3 i think more people would be inlclined to give extra. if, however, they said the grat is $10 i think more people would tend not to give extra. but in either case people would know the servers are being taken care of.

Why does it matter how much they got in the first place? If gratuities are included, that implies that they got an appropriate amount. If you feel led to give them extra, you can give whatever you please.

I don't know that it does matter and I don't disagree with your conclusion. But I do think that I have a much better understanding of how people who come from non-tipping cultures have issues when it comes to tipping. It seems that plenty of us who are used to tipping have adjustment issues when the system changes.

I pre-paid tips, for the first time, for our last cruise and I had decided that I wasn't going to concern myself with tipping when we got on the ship. However, our cabin steward did something for me that i was pretty impressed with and I would not have felt right if I did not show my thanks with a bit extra.... even though his leaving an envelope in the cabin with his name on it was a bit of a turn off. My first thought when I saw the envelope was does this guy not know that I pre-paid?

I had an interesting call with RCI last week when I made an amendment to my BTB booking next year. I am in the UK and spoke to the UK call centre when I was getting my mum added to the booking. I had phoned up already a few days earlier and they had given me the approximate cost. I then sorted out her time off work and phoned back to actually add her. The price they gave me was less the second time - I was very happy and mentioned it to the agent. She said, ah I probably know why - they obviously included the gratuities in the first price you were quoted. I said I'd rather not prepay a year in advance and will just pay onboard when the prepaid amounts are added on automatically.

This is where it gets interesting. She said - oh don't worry about that, those tips don't have to be paid - they're just an option for some guests. I said all the same - I will be paying them for all 3 of us directly via the seapass account and extra if any of the staff are fab. But she persisted in trying to convince me they were not really expected and not part of the cruise cost and a simple trip to GS to have them removed would be fine!!

I can verify this.. I am currently in the middle of a heated exchange with my own T/A as my booking confirmation shows gratuities for our May 4th sailing as "Included" as I had prepaid them in the price agreed for our cruise. However, the Guest/Ticket booklet which I received two days back shows only that I have prepaid gratuities for my wife and myself but not for my daughter (7 months old) as I supposedly "declined" to prepay those. Why on earth would I do that..??

Anyway, several lengthy telephone calls have followed with their c/s manager who said to me that the person who made the booking within the T/A probably left those gratuities for my daughter out of the price as "many Brit's do not think it's right to pay gratuities for babies", so they are effectively inviting you to remove them from your on-board account.

For what it's worth, I have always paid every penny of the mandatory tips on every previous cruise and also given out extra cash too. However, I am now for the first time seriously considering removing the gratuities for my daughter from our upcoming cruise because as far as I am concerned, I have prepaid them as stated on my cruise confirmation, despite what the T/A claims. The problem I have is that if I do remove them once on board, it will no doubt be viewed as me penalising the staff or RCI whereas in fact it would be a point of order against the T/A. Question is, would the staff on the pursers desk understand and appreciate that..?? I'd obviously carry my booking confirmation to show them the wording on there.

Thoughts anyone..??