Tipping - New Policy

And I am quite sure that you are wrong. You should be careful about making blanket statements.

Maybe, but if you insist on behaving like the people who don't want to tip, then you ought to just get used to being lumped in with them. It'll come with the territory, whether you think it should or not.

Maybe, but if you insist on behaving like the people who don't want to tip, then you ought to just get used to being lumped in with them. It'll come with the territory, whether you think it should or not.

Behaving?:confused: So I guess the folks that don't tip should just "behave" like those who do. Then they can get lumped in with that group.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Tip for wine consumers. RCL says you can bring 2 bottles of wine on board. Put 2 bottles in your checked luggage and then carry on 2 bottles, now you have 4. You could have six, do as above, but when you go through security have your wife or husband wait for 5-6 people to go through security after you go through, and have him or her Carry 2 bottles. Now you have 6.

Behaving?:confused: So I guess the folks that don't tip should just "behave" like those who do. Then they can get lumped in with that group.

I was talking about the behavior of going to guest services to get tips removed from your account. If you don't like the word behavior, substitute another. :)

I was talking about the behavior of going to guest services to get tips removed from your account. If you don't like the word behavior, substitute another. :)

I guess that people making assumptions about something, or someone, that they know little to nothing about is a much more noble behavior.

Wanting to tip in cash and not wanting to tip at all are two different people.

As long as Royal calls it a gratuity/tip-I will gratuity/tip myself as it should be!!;)

I guess that people making assumptions about something, or someone, that they know little to nothing about is a much more noble behavior.

BAM !!! You hit the proverbial nail on the head :D

Thank you !

As long as Royal calls it a gratuity/tip-I will gratuity/tip myself as it should be!!;)

Agree Debde...You know what they say about people that make "assumptions" ;) :D

I agree i plan on doing the same,I don't need Royal Caribbean to take my money then call it gratuities.As i said before you pay them a decent salary,and i will continue to tip them.But i decide who and how much.MR Goldstein how can you sleep at night paying people fifty dollars a month? :eek:

If you actually pay cash tips. Royal Caribbean is still going to take it and distribute it. Cash tips will be pooled. But hey if it floats peoples boats to pay in cash and hand it out, go ahead. Others never liked it and prefer the auto charge to their accounts. I got used to the auto charge on all the other cruise lines. I prefer MTD so I don't have a choice on Royal Caribbean.

As for the $50, they are guaranteed a portion of the tip pool so none is only getting $50 only a month. It is $50 plus a share of the pool. That said I don't think the pay system is fair.

Nope. Neither is especially "noble." It's just the way the world works. If you refuse to pay the daily gratuities, people will assume you're cheap. That may or may not be true, but it will happen. It's similar to the way people assumed those who disappeared from the dining room on the last night were doing it to be cheap. It's going to be true for a lot of the people who do that, but not for all.

I'm just saying you shouldn't be surprised that people make such assumptions.

Again, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. I know that some people feel better about themselves when they can personally hand over a tip. But you must admit that there are likely many people who will remove tips just because they don't want to pay them. So, anyone who goes to remove their tips will have people suspecting that this at least might be the reason. Seems silly for people to act all offended that someone might dare think that. :cool:

I agree i plan on doing the same,I don't need Royal Caribbean to take my money then call it gratuities.As i said before you pay them a decent salary,and i will continue to tip them.But i decide who and how much.MR Goldstein how can you sleep at night paying people fifty dollars a month? :eek:

He probably sleeps very well knowing this. He is responsible to his share holders and if he could pay them nothing he would.

Those of you who remove your gratuities, please remember to flip a bit of small change to that guy or gal trundling the linen cart down your corridor. Maybe that will save your steward from having to tip out his/her support staff.

Nope. Neither is especially "noble." It's just the way the world works. If you refuse to pay the daily gratuities, people will assume you're cheap. That may or may not be true, but it will happen. It's similar to the way people assumed those who disappeared from the dining room on the last night were doing it to be cheap. It's going to be true for a lot of the people who do that, but not for all.

Do you assume Royal Caribbean's cheap. Paying their people fifty Dollar a month and expecting us to pay their salary.I tip for service not to pay someone's salary.They will continue to raise the price for gratuities,to make the cruise price seem less. :mad: :eek:

If you actually pay cash tips. Royal Caribbean is still going to take it and distribute it. Cash tips will be pooled. But hey if it floats peoples boats to pay in cash and hand it out, go ahead. Others never liked it and prefer the auto charge to their accounts. I got used to the auto charge on all the other cruise lines. I prefer MTD so I don't have a choice on Royal Caribbean.

As for the $50, they are guaranteed a portion of the tip pool so none is only getting $50 only a month. It is $50 plus a share of the pool. That said I don't think the pay system is fair.

My understanding is that PCL (and maybe other cruise lines) takes the cash tips from their staff to pool it...Haven't heard that RCI is doing this as well, are you sure of this or just "assuming" :confused:

Who said anyone is refusing to pay the daily gratuities? People on this thread are paying the daily gratuities, just not in the same manner that others are.

We do MTD and have been prepaying for years. Love the convenience. Usually tip a little extra to certain staff at the end of the cruise. I just can't understand why folk get so bunged up about this topic...;)

Who said anyone is refusing to pay the daily gratuities? People on this thread are paying the daily gratuities, just not in the same manner that others are.

We do MTD and have been prepaying for years. Love the convenience. Usually tip a little extra to certain staff at the end of the cruise. I just can't understand why folk get so bunged up about this topic...;)

Sorry you misunderstood. By "paying the daily gratuities," I was referring to the amount that is automatically charged to your account on a daily basis. So, those who insist on having that charge removed are refusing to pay the daily gratuities. They then may or may not distribute an equivalent amount of money to various crew members.

I'm not bunged up about it, though.

Do you assume Royal Caribbean's cheap. Paying their people fifty Dollar a month and expecting us to pay their salary.I tip for service not to pay someone's salary.They will continue to raise the price for gratuities,to make the cruise price seem less. :mad: :eek:

That's a good question. It's a compensation model that has been around, at least in the US, for a long time, so I guess I am used to it. It's not that much different than restaurant servers who make sub-minimum wage, with the expectation that the majority of their compensation will come from tips. Because of that system, it is expected at most restaurants that diners tip at least 15% of their bill for the service they receive - not for "above and beyond" service, but just for good, basic service.

So, are most restaurant owners in the US "cheap" because they follow this accepted model? I don't think so. But I don't mind other models. When I was in England, dining prices were somewhat higher than I'm used to, but it was not generally expected to leave a tip. Either way works.

My understanding is that PCL (and maybe other cruise lines) takes the cash tips from their staff to pool it...Haven't heard that RCI is doing this as well, are you sure of this or just "assuming" :confused:

Again, I can't speak for the waiters, but for the stateroom attendants they don't pool tip BUT they do have to tip out $1/person/day to cover their support staff (laundry, runners, minibar staff, etc).

That's a good question. It's a compensation model that has been around, at least in the US, for a long time, so I guess I am used to it. It's not that much different than restaurant servers who make sub-minimum wage, with the expectation that the majority of their compensation will come from tips. Because of that system, it is expected at most restaurants that diners tip at least 15% of their bill for the service they receive - not for "above and beyond" service, but just for good, basic service.

So, are most restaurant owners in the US "cheap" because they follow this accepted model? I don't think so. But I don't mind other models. When I was in England, dining prices were somewhat higher than I'm used to, but it was not generally expected to leave a tip. Either way works.

Why is this accepted as a Diamond member we always payed Royal Caribbean's suggested amount or close to it depending on the service.The only thing different in now they are taking my money,also i will not eat at a restaurant that adds the gratuities to the bill.This to me is not a money issue.Royal have the guts to raise the fare two hundred dollars.Then you can tip if you want to.Also have a problem with them telling us how much to tip.We love cruising with Royal Or next cruise is not till 1/21/14. Plenty time to see how this new policy works out.I also expect to see the level of service to drop.Hope i am wrong. :)

An assumption is being made. Cash tips are NOT being taken or expected to be turned in my the staff.

Room stewards tipping out the room helpers is something entirely different.

The reason I will have the auto-grats removed is because I choose not to eat in the MDR - at all, not once.

I eat in the WJ for all meals. The staff that are permanently assigned to the WJ for that week are not included in the pool of tipping from the auto-grats.

If I'm eating in the WJ all my meals, and have made friends with a couple of the staff, which I always do, why would I want my tips to go to servers who have never set eyes on me, instead of the servers that actually put effort into making my meals enjoyable?

I'll make sure my room steward knows I'll be tipping cash at the end of the trip (and I've always done MORE than recommended), and I'll tip the servers in the WJ at the end of the cruise as well.

I don't mind tipping. I'm staying in a JS on my next cruise for 16 nights. So the grats will be plenty - I don't have an issue paying them - I just want them to go to the people who actually had a hand in making my cruise go smoothly!