Tipping - New Policy

I honestly don't see it like that. I see it as RCC trying to compensate low pay with money given by passengers. If everyone stopped giving gratuities, RCC would have / need to pay their staff a competitive wage. I feel giving gratuities via the recommended RCCI system benefits RCC, and that handing actual people tips goes directly to them and is therefore better.

RCC is a business and we shouldn't be trying to look after their staff. They should be doing that themselves.

If you disagree so strongly with the way they pay their workers, why do you spend money with them? Instead you are going to punish low level workers by encouraging people to stop giving gratuities?

Your logic eludes me, as it often does.

I honestly don't see it like that. I see it as RCC trying to compensate low pay with money given by passengers. If everyone stopped giving gratuities, RCC would have / need to pay their staff a competitive wage. I feel giving gratuities via the recommended RCCI system benefits RCC, and that handing actual people tips goes directly to them and is therefore better.

RCC is a business and we shouldn't be trying to look after their staff. They should be doing that themselves.

If you researched this you would of seen that HAL had a no tipping policy at one time. Guess what, it did not work and was scrapped. I feel that if you don't like RCI's tipping policy you should choose a cruise line that has a policy you like instead trying to change something (how and what RCI pays its staff) that is frankly none of your business!

If you researched this you would of seen that HAL had a no tipping policy at one time. Guess what, it did not work and was scrapped. I feel that if you don't like RCI's tipping policy you should choose a cruise line that has a policy you like instead trying to change something (how and what RCI pays its staff) that is frankly none of your business!

Then why do so many people around here make it their business?

I am a generous tipper when deserved. I was a waiter who EARNED tips, my children worked as wait-staff and earned tips. I abhor automatic gratuities, first because it's a fraud. An automatic gratuity is a service charge. Second, often the auto-gratuity is too low, though some times it's undeserved.

I will, if possible, cancel the auto gratuity and do the traditional envelopes. I expect very good service, that is what a cruise is about. I also do not confuse friendliness with excellent services. When I first meet the cabin attendant besides being friendly and polite I tell him/ her the few things we require. Extra towels each day. I don't feel I need to make the request each day if i ask politely with specific requests. I also like an ice bucket with turndown service.

I prefer a professional relationship with the staff not a personal one. That means civility, politeness and respectful behavior, but I am not looking for someone to be chatty and personable if they can't remember the few requests that we make.

If RCI wants to add a daily service charge, they are free to do so but if they call it a gratuity then it needs to be a voluntary act without conditions or expectations.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Could not have said it better,agree 100%. Think i will press the like button. :)

Well said it is about time people stand up to the Royal cheer leaders.Why do you feel the need to have royal take your money and call it a gratuities.Again tips are given not taken.:) Feel free to give as much as you want.

So how is it nowadays? Do you get the envelopes with the automatic charge or not?

No envelopes for the normal tips but they do have them for leaving additional for "WOW" service. Our cabin attendant has left a couple of those in our cabin on the last day on our last few cruises.

I have to step in here.And what line people cruise,and how they tip is frankly none of your business.Things always change like the tipping policy.:D

I have to step in here.And what line people cruise,and how they tip is frankly none of your business.Things always change like the tipping policy.:D
I have an opinion and I'm sticking with it and frankly I'm glad you don't like it.

Of course the decision of whether to stiff the crew or not is a personal decision.

While I wish the cruise lines would pay their employees a living wage that is not dependent on tips or gratuities......they don't. They should include that money in the fare or as a required service charge. But since they don't I budget for the gratuities and pay them. I don't hold the crew responsible for the way their employer conducts it's business.

My conscience won't live with stiffing the crew. We are all different and have different values.

Edited by Charles4515
f

I have never had the need to withhold a tip, or lessen it, even after 20 cruises. As many others here do, I go prepared to tip beyond the recommended amount and there is always someone (or several someones:) ) that deserve extra. That being said, having the tips automatically charged to my account daily saves me from carrying even more cash, or saves me a trip to the service desk to have it put on my account. So, in a way, I consider it a convenience to me as a passenger. :D Does it offend me that I am being told I MUST tip? Not at all, but that is just me. I normally prepay the tips, so that charge is behind me before I cruise, and hand cash to those I want to especially thank.

Of course the decision of whether to stiff the crew or not is a personal decision.

While I wish the cruise lines would pay their employees a living wage that is not dependent on tips or gratuities......they don't. They should include that money in the fare or as a required service charge. But since they don't I budget for the gratuities and pay them. I don't hold the crew responsible for the way their employer conducts it's business.

My conscience won't live with stiffing the crew. We are all different and have different values.

Deleted- not worth derailing this thread anymore than it already is.

Edited by BND

For new or newly confused cruisers, this thread contains very useful information if you just remove the posts of three or four certain posters.

Without those posts, the thread flows nicely and is helpful.

:D

No envelopes for the normal tips but they do have them for leaving additional for "WOW" service. Our cabin attendant has left a couple of those in our cabin on the last day on our last few cruises.

What is a WOW device that is worth more than 24-28 dollars a day?

Since the service charge is mandatory I do not expect to repeat myself on service requests.

Edited by heyabbott

If you disagree so strongly with the way they pay their workers, why do you spend money with them? Instead you are going to punish low level workers by encouraging people to stop giving gratuities?

Your logic eludes me, as it often does.

Low level workers :confused: that's partly my point.

The gratuities you pay up front for dont necessarily go to the people who serve you on your particular holiday.

Of course they do. What ARE you talking about?

Where are they going ?

An excellent question, Mr. Pete! ;)

Oh, sorry! I had not seen any of the posts!

We just sailed on Explorer a few weeks ago. Maybe I missed the discussion then.

I am glad that they are doing something. I was shocked at how empty the dining room was on the last night. I truly believe it was because some of the people were "ducking" the wait staff.

They work so hard to make our vacations wonderful. They deserve much more than the $12 per day!

This is an old thread but worth responding too. We might eat every night in the dining room but the last night. Please don't assume that every one who skips the last night a cheapskate. We go to the entrance earlier than our usual time and hand over an envelope with a thank you note and extra cash to our wait staff, maitre,d, and head waiter. We don't show up because I have diverticulitis and when I know I have a long drive ahead of me the next morning I try and eat very little the night before. People do have reasons for not showing up on the last night beside stiffing the staff of a few extra dollars.

Edited by lady_cruiser

When booking my latest RCI cruise from the Australian RCI site I had no option, Pre paid Grats were automatically added to the final bill and I cannot remove them, not that I want to remove them:)

If too many in US start to remove the daily autos I am sure it will end up the same way with RCI US.

If I cannot remove the pre paid Grats and I must pay it to book then it is no longer a Gratuity which is a Tip but a daily service charge;)

In the Australia T&C,s it is stated as being a daily service charge but in US T&C,s its not! How can that be? If I book a cruise leaving out of the US I must pay a daily service charge but the US passengers do not have a service charge:confused:

In the end all recommended gratuities no matter how you pay them are a daily service charge plain and simple:)

Personally I prefer to tip in cash. It feels more personal handing a cash gratuity over to stateroom attendant and thanking them for everything rather than just paying it to RCI.

Also we never eat in the main dining room so we just leave a large tip addressed to all the WJ staff.

Personally I prefer to tip in cash. It feels more personal handing a cash gratuity over to stateroom attendant and thanking them for everything rather than just paying it to RCI.

Also we never eat in the main dining room so we just leave a large tip addressed to all the WJ staff.

There are posters who know the system better, but when you tip in cash you could be impacting how much they are actually receiving because the auto gratuities are figured into their compensation.

I dont' see what the big deal is. Whether it's auto grats or tips handed out. Especially those whining about "living wage", etc. You're not helping anyone by withdrawing/not paying auto grats and handing over cash from everything I've read. Also, auto grats are not mandatory unless you're doing MTD. Some of the posters here act like they are.

We leave them in place and actually usually prepay them, but we also give cash tips in addition. That to me, is the best way to show your appreciation.

Next time, ask your server and stewards which they prefer.....

Edited by BND