Global Entry in Vancouver

shofer

I am in the process of applying for the US Global Entry pass. Does anyone know if they have a special line for this in Vancouver for re-entrering the US?

Thanks,

Sue

Do you mean at the airport? or getting on the ship heading for US waters?

If you are applying for a NEXUS which is one of the Global Entry cards, there are dedicated lanes at the Douglas/Blane and the Pacfic Hwy crossings as well as at YVR. There has not been a dedicated line at Canada Place or for that matter at Pier 91 in Seattle however you can use your card in place of a passport, we have done it.

Sorry I wasn't clearer in my request. I meant at YVR after leaving the ship for re-entry to the USA. I am applying for something in Global Entry. Haven't gotten that far in the process yet.

Thanks Putterdude for the info.

Sue

If you are applying for a NEXUS which is one of the Global Entry cards, there are dedicated lanes at the Douglas/Blane and the Pacfic Hwy crossings as well as at YVR. There has not been a dedicated line at Canada Place or for that matter at Pier 91 in Seattle however you can use your card in place of a passport, we have done it.

I realized that NEXUS will not work for me as I do not live near any borders. Will consider Global Entry.

Sue

Just a tip, if you do the Global Entry interview at a Canada border station (or Canadian airport with US pre-clearance) you can get NEXUS added on at that time. You just get interviewed by both CBP (US) and CBSA (Canada) on that day and get both.

If you apply for the Trusted Traveler program, you will receive a separate Global Entry card. That card can be used in Nexus security lines for re-entry into the US.

We did a southbound cruise last May and being a member of the Trusted Traveler program was a big help at the Vancouver Airport. There were separate shorter lines at security for Nexus users and our Global Entry card allowed us to use those lines. Then when we got to US Customs for re-entry we just used the Global Entry kiosks and got right through without standing in line.

I love the program, especially when we fly back on International flights on the east coast. Getting back in through JFK, Atlanta, Miami, etc can be brutal. Using Global Entry once in my mind pays for itself. That coupled with the Global Entry card is now also accepted at most major Canadian airports where you clear US Customs before leaving. There are other intricacies with Nexus that the Global Entry card doesn't help with, but it will work getting back to the US. The program also keeps expanding and is worth an occasional read on the internet to see what is included.

Dave

I have a Global Entry Card as described above. Love using the Pre-Check lines at major airports. However, if we are driving (a rental car) from Seattle to Vancouver in advance of a Northbound cruise, will the Global Entry Card, without more, help me in any way at the land-based checkpoint entering into Canada?

I have a Global Entry Card as described above. Love using the Pre-Check lines at major airports. However, if we are driving (a rental car) from Seattle to Vancouver in advance of a Northbound cruise, will the Global Entry Card, without more, help me in any way at the land-based checkpoint entering into Canada?

I just had an opportunity to use the pre check line at LAX last month. It was nice to go through security without getting undressed.

As for entry into Canada, as mentioned above by ORDMan, if you register your Global Entry card with the Canada Border folks (not sure of the acronym) I think you can get it linked to NEXUS for entry into Canada. The information on the Global Entry website can be confusing, but it doesn't seem like you can use without talking to the Canadian officials first. Dave

I am in the process of applying for the US Global Entry pass. Does anyone know if they have a special line for this in Vancouver for re-entrering the US?

Thanks,

Sue

Are you getting this pass because of the flight time after your cruise? If I remember correctly you are flying out about 1045 from YVR. We also have this flight time, so any information you can share would be helpful. We leave our Sapphire cruise on June 29th flying to Seattle. Thanks Susan

Just a tip, if you do the Global Entry interview at a Canada border station (or Canadian airport with US pre-clearance) you can get NEXUS added on at that time. You just get interviewed by both CBP (US) and CBSA (Canada) on that day and get both.

That would be great but I won't have that kind of time.

Sue

Are you getting this pass because of the flight time after your cruise? If I remember correctly you are flying out about 1045 from YVR. We also have this flight time, so any information you can share would be helpful. We leave our Sapphire cruise on June 29th flying to Seattle. Thanks Susan

Yes! Absolutely correct. The cost is $100 and I hesitated because of it. Now I think I am going to just get it. There are 2 locations here in Chicago for the interview so that is not an issue.

I have to discuss this with my travel partner but I think she will go for it also. Missing our flight due to "sequester" issues and just plain bad luck will cost us a lot more than $100. The fact is that I am planning other trips so it will come in handy in the future.

Sue

I just went ahead and finished my application and paid the $100. The hardest part was figuring out how to complete a User ID and Password! This is a small price to pay for not missing our flights. (Both in Vancouver and Seattle.)

My TA booked us this flight because it is the one that Princess EZ air uses and must have some confidence in the passengers getting there on time. I would rather have some of my own insurance for my peace of mind.

Sue

Aren't you better getting a passport. I don't think your global entry will allow you into Europe but then the Nexus won't either. I love my Nexus card but you need a passport to get one of them. I cross the boarder at Blaine about once a month. The last time I did it there was a wait of over an hour but it only took me 5 minutes with the card

The information on the Global Entry website can be confusing, but it doesn't seem like you can use without talking to the Canadian officials first. Dave

Confusing to say the least! From what I could discern, you are correct. It appears that adding NEXUS requires some level of Canadian involvement.

Aren't you better getting a passport. I don't think your global entry will allow you into Europe but then the Nexus won't either. I love my Nexus card but you need a passport to get one of them. I cross the boarder at Blaine about once a month. The last time I did it there was a wait of over an hour but it only took me 5 minutes with the card

I do have a passport. I am getting the card to facilitate getting through US Customs in a timely manner.

Sue

Similar to your NEXUS card, we need a passport before we can get the Global Entry card. In fact they put a stamp in your passport. The best part of it is the ease of getting back into the country after traveling abroad. Go to a kiosk, scan your passport, verify fingerprints, answer a few questions and your given a slip of paper that you hand to the folks at the front of the line and you breeze right through. When multiple planes arrive at the same time and the line is a mile long, it takes 5 minutes and you're through customs. To me, it was well worth the time spent and $100 to get the clearance for ease of travel. No matter where I have traveled, the hardest part was always getting back into the country! It's actually kind of sad we're at a point that we need to do this so it's easy to come home. Dave

YVR should have Global Entry kiosks for the pre-clearance into the US (I *think* all the Canadian airports that do pre-clearance now have the kiosks.) They will probably also have Nexus kiosks, don't use those if you have Global Entry, it's a separate program that requires you to be vetted by both US and Canadian officials. Here's the link the US Embassy in Canada mentioning the GE kiosks at the Canadian airport:

http://canada.usembassy.gov/news-events/2012-news-and-events/june-2012/25-june-2012-global-entry-now-available-at-all-eight-canadian-preclearance-airports.html

Nexus members get Global Entry privileges, but Global entry does not get Nexus privileges (because they haven't gotten the Canadian clearance). You definitely can't use a Nexus lane into Canada if you only have GE, not sure about using a Nexus lane into the US with GE, but wouldn't count on it.

Ironically, while Nexus members get GE, it only costs $50 to join Nexus instead of the $100 that it costs to join GE. The Nexus interview has to be done at a processing center at the US/Canadian border (or I think some of the airports that have preclearance in Canada). Also seems to take a little longer to get approved for Nexus (mine was about 3 weeks from submission to the conditional approval, GE apparently has frequently been running 1 to 2 weeks for approval lately).

I'd love to see them add GE at the cruise ports, but I don't think it's happening any time soon.

We have Global Entry attached to our NEXUS card and now are into the 11th year of the NEXUS program having just renewed in September. My guess that the reason we won't see GE kiosks in cruise terminals soon is because of the cost of the kiosk, installing same and the fact that most cruise (not all) terminals are seasonal in nature.

YVR should have Global Entry kiosks for the pre-clearance into the US. GE apparently has frequently been running 1 to 2 weeks for approval lately).

Glad to hear this news. We are 2 months out from our trip. Jan is going to apply over the weekend.

Sue

Archived