Allure March 3, 2013 Review. Not as awesome as I thought, but still better than work

Just chiming in, I was on this cruise as well and that is kinda funny about your experience with Bernards. I signed up for the tour as well and was at the statue at 0900 (I think). I was the only one there and the Bernards rep said to hang out for a bit as the other groups are running late. I checked back with him after about 15 minutes and from my reservation he knew I was only really interested in Maho Beach. So to my delight, rather then wait for the group, he put me aboard one of the taxi;s going to Maho and I was able to spend the whole day there (yay me). He said to meet at the nightclub by Maho at 2pm. I figured yea right, I will be on my own getting back. Sure enough at 2pm he came walking up, asked if I wanted to stay and see the Air France inbound (which is the highlight at Maho) and after it landed I boarded the bus for the ride back to the souvenoir shop and the ship. Attached are some pics I took at Maho. For me that was one of the best days ever.

If you just wanted to go to Maho you could have taken a private taxi for probably $8 each way or the local bus/taxi for $2 each way. Sounds like you paid for a tour and just went to Maho.

Very cool to see that you can meet people after your cruise as well as before! Love this thread and the review's terrific (plus heartily agree about Maho. It's my husband's favorite place in the Caribbean).

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Oh I totally remember you! I was the Asian girl with bangs and my bf was the Asian guy with lots of tattoos and long hair. We said hi to you a while after the Best of the Best competition near the pool. :)

Just chiming in, I was on this cruise as well and that is kinda funny about your experience with Bernards. I signed up for the tour as well and was at the statue at 0900 (I think). I was the only one there and the Bernards rep said to hang out for a bit as the other groups are running late. I checked back with him after about 15 minutes and from my reservation he knew I was only really interested in Maho Beach. So to my delight, rather then wait for the group, he put me aboard one of the taxi;s going to Maho and I was able to spend the whole day there (yay me). He said to meet at the nightclub by Maho at 2pm. I figured yea right, I will be on my own getting back. Sure enough at 2pm he came walking up, asked if I wanted to stay and see the Air France inbound (which is the highlight at Maho) and after it landed I boarded the bus for the ride back to the souvenoir shop and the ship. Attached are some pics I took at Maho. For me that was one of the best days ever.

What time did the larger planes start coming in?

Great Thanks. We were there last months and our friends that live in SXM took us out on their boat and we only saw tiny planes land when we were by the airport. They had a whole day planned for us so next time we are there in August sure to go later in the day.

regarding your title - 'not as awesome as i thought"..

was it the allure specifically that wasn't as awesome as you thought it would be?

was it the ship? the itinerary? something else?

Allure was a grand ship, the staff was magnificent, however I agree with some who think you don't get the "at sea" feel; not enough venues with ocean views, etc. Also the food was just ok.

More so, I didn't feel the itin was great. I know the oasis class is known for the ships and not the ports, but really St Thomas/St John was the only port we really enjoyed. I think they need to scrap Nassau altogether and give more time at the other two, or get to Nassau at a more sensible time. I mean we got there at 7am and most shops don't even open till 9:30-10 ish and sailaway is at 2pm?

Also, for the price we spent on the two of us for a week long vacay, didn't really feel it was worth it. Between the airfare (we flew in from CA) and everything I think perhaps were got in a bit under $5k. If perhaps we did another type of vacay, say go to south east Asia or something, we may have felt a bit more "spoiled". But live and learn, you know? Overall, I was not over the top impressed, but not totally disappointed either. So basically, better than being at work. ;)

I do remember you both. I definitely remember the tattoos and long hair. :) Most of my time is spent at the Flowrider.

If we do another cruise soon we will have to try Flowrider more. I thought it would be easier since we both snowboard but it wasn't the same LOL!

omg this is so funny because it was our exact experience. We had a different driver, but only beer and water, so I couldn't even drown my pain.

He was giving out tons of useless info like, "here is the local bank, and right behind it is a bike store!" and "...so and so lives down there in a really nice house, but we can't see it from here. But it's really big, I used to work there!" Just senseless crazy drivel. And it went on and on!

And we had to drive past and view a small airport for some strange reason, where we got stuck behind a delivery van for a good 10 min or so, and at the end, we missed the Air France landing at Maho. I'm sure if Bernard reads this he will know who I am because I told him my complaints and he just laughed.

:eek: wow. I guess they won't bother to take constructive criticism huh? I was very surprised I did not enjoy their tour, Bernard's has such good reviews. I also messaged them on their FB page after I got back, and no response, however I am not surprised. I did leave a review on Tripadvisor though.

Too bad you missed Air France, that was the best one! We got out of our prime location right at the edge of the bar, and good thing we did bc it was a better view down on the beach in front of the bar. The camera angle looks so much more impressive.

Very cool to see that you can meet people after your cruise as well as before! Love this thread and the review's terrific (plus heartily agree about Maho. It's my husband's favorite place in the Caribbean).

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Yes I agree! and thanks for following along!:)

Allure was a grand ship, the staff was magnificent, however I agree with some who think you don't get the "at sea" feel; not enough venues with ocean views, etc. Also the food was just ok.

More so, I didn't feel the itin was great. I know the oasis class is known for the ships and not the ports, but really St Thomas/St John was the only port we really enjoyed. I think they need to scrap Nassau altogether and give more time at the other two, or get to Nassau at a more sensible time. I mean we got there at 7am and most shops don't even open till 9:30-10 ish and sailaway is at 2pm?

Also, for the price we spent on the two of us for a week long vacay, didn't really feel it was worth it. Between the airfare (we flew in from CA) and everything I think perhaps were got in a bit under $5k. If perhaps we did another type of vacay, say go to south east Asia or something, we may have felt a bit more "spoiled". But live and learn, you know? Overall, I was not over the top impressed, but not totally disappointed either. So basically, better than being at work. ;)

Thats good to know, i was thinking about doing this same cruise over the summer but $5K is alot of money for a week and ports of call that aren't the greatest. The Allure should do an overnight in St Thomas/St John to really make it worth while as you stated. And also coming from CA where we live makes it a whole day day travel to and from.

Better than work yes but did you get your money's worth? doesn't sound like it.

Thats good to know, i was thinking about doing this same cruise over the summer but $5K is alot of money for a week and ports of call that aren't the greatest. The Allure should do an overnight in St Thomas/St John to really make it worth while as you stated. And also coming from CA where we live makes it a whole day day travel to and from.

Better than work yes but did you get your money's worth? doesn't sound like it.

Yes exactly. And the extra travel time needed, and the extra hotel stay as well. It was really hard to get off the ship from being in a grand ship and nice ocean view balcony room to stay one more night in a crappy motel before coming home. I wish there were better ports of call going out of CA. I get so sea sick doing the Mexican riviera.

Also, doing this ship/itin in summer will be ever MORE $$$. Same with air.

Yes exactly. And the extra travel time needed, and the extra hotel stay as well. It was really hard to get off the ship from being in a grand ship and nice ocean view balcony room to stay one more night in a crappy motel before coming home. I wish there were better ports of call going out of CA. I get so sea sick doing the Mexican riviera.

Also, doing this ship/itin in summer will be ever MORE $$$. Same with air.

I hear you. Not much from the west coast. Did the mexican riviera and also Alaska a couple years back but after that what else is there. Seems like every other option is a long plane ride to get to the where the ships are berthed (NYC, Ft Lauderdale, Europe...).

If I don't do the Allure/Oasis we were also thinking Breakaway to Bermuda but check out the cabin fares...wow not cheap for a week. Then again staying in motel the night before, airfare, dinner in manhattan and it adds up quick.

Maybe a land vacation to Maui is the best bet.

Yup, no wonder so many people retire in FL! Sometimes on the older ships it's cheaper to do a cruise than NOT to cruise! If we do a cruise again, we will def do a smaller ship and really choose our ports of call carefully. Might even do one of those higher end all inclusive cruises.

Just wanted to say thanks for the review...really enjoyed it! We're going on Allure ia week from today so it was very helpful. And loved your photos especially the ones at SXM's airplane beach. We are going on the Disney Fantasy next summer and after seeing your pics, have decided that this beach is a must do! Thanks again from an Asian lady in Canada!

I'm interested! DH and I will be on Allure on May 19 and love reading about the ship. This is a destination ship for us, probably will only get off the ship at Labadee.

love your photo's and your comments........one of the area's I wanted to try was Vintage's and the tapa's and you showed a large amount of what is available. From most of the posting of Allure, it never seems that Vintage's is mentioned. So thank you for this!

please do keep posting, I'm here and loving your review

What a great job you did on this review!!

I started reading last night and just now finished. I enjoyed it so very much, thank you thank you:D

We will be visiting St T and St M on our next cruise. We have been to both before and we are determined to find something to do that we will be excited about. If I recall, we did the bus type tours in both of these ports years ago and now when we think of either port it is very underwhelming. My goal is to change that on our upcoming trip!! LOL

Yup, no wonder so many people retire in FL! Sometimes on the older ships it's cheaper to do a cruise than NOT to cruise! If we do a cruise again, we will def do a smaller ship and really choose our ports of call carefully. Might even do one of those higher end all inclusive cruises.

Just wanted to let you know you have a wonderful gift of stroytelling. Your pictures were clear and the storyline went well. Thank you for taking the time to give us a day by day descriiption of your cruise. I enjoyed it very much.

Just wanted to say thanks for the review...really enjoyed it! We're going on Allure ia week from today so it was very helpful. And loved your photos especially the ones at SXM's airplane beach. We are going on the Disney Fantasy next summer and after seeing your pics, have decided that this beach is a must do! Thanks again from an Asian lady in Canada!

Hello fellow Asian lady! LOL If you are anything like me (afraid of the sun and/or getting sunburnt) bring a sun hat! SXM airplane beach has hardly any shade unless you are at the bar or rent a chair. It gets so hot there!

I'm interested! DH and I will be on Allure on May 19 and love reading about the ship. This is a destination ship for us, probably will only get off the ship at Labadee.

love your photo's and your comments........one of the area's I wanted to try was Vintage's and the tapa's and you showed a large amount of what is available. From most of the posting of Allure, it never seems that Vintage's is mentioned. So thank you for this!

please do keep posting, I'm here and loving your review

I haven't been to Labadee yet. I was excited to go there when I first saw that Samantha lady from the Travel channel do a show on the Oasis years ago. Labadee looks so fun, but then I found out everything costs extra to do! That epic zipline is like $70? Yikes. That was another reason why we chose to do the Eastern route. Plus I had already been to Cozumel before and for me it was just eh.

there were still a ton of things we didn't get to do on the ship. Didn't even get a chance to get in a pool or hot tub. Prime chance for you will be when people get off at port or at night. We ended up too tired to go at night.

Vintages always seemed pretty empty when I would walk by. They have pretty late hours too, so if you're the type that likes to snack at night, this would be a good option if you get tired of the pizza or sandwiches at the Promenade cafe. The portions are pretty big. That group of dishes we got was WAY too much food. I was most excited about the pulpo salad, but it was not good. Cold and chewy. The artichokes, piquillo peppers plate was my fave. The shrimp skewers were really good, and I love scallops too, but I thought they were a bit underdone. What we ordered could have easily been shared between 4 people.

What a great job you did on this review!!

I started reading last night and just now finished. I enjoyed it so very much, thank you thank you:D

We will be visiting St T and St M on our next cruise. We have been to both before and we are determined to find something to do that we will be excited about. If I recall, we did the bus type tours in both of these ports years ago and now when we think of either port it is very underwhelming. My goal is to change that on our upcoming trip!! LOL

Have you gone to St John yet? If you've already done the tour thing on StT? STJ is SO beautiful there! I read there are also snorkel tours you do off boats instead of off beach. Better viewing, but I really wanted to visit Trunk, so that's what we did and I'm so glad.

Just wanted to let you know you have a wonderful gift of stroytelling. Your pictures were clear and the storyline went well. Thank you for taking the time to give us a day by day descriiption of your cruise. I enjoyed it very much.

Thanks! I think I tell stories better typing them out. Gives me more of a chance to rewrite and edit. When a story comes straight out my mouth, i usually forget my point or go off on tangents. :D

I liked the review, thanks for doing all that and for adding the photos. I do have to say though that your tour with Bernard's wasn't typical, sounds like they had an off day. My husband and I have done that tour twice (once us, once with the kids) and we didn't miss anything. Well, we might have missed the iguana farm the first time or they just added it 5 years later on the second tour.

• 9 months later...