Bit of a (surprise) Blog – Freedom of the Seas – Western Caribbean – 17th March 2013

I'd say a visit to the head waiter is certainly in order. " Those items weren't necessarily GF at all". That's crazy, I truly hope he had a language barrier issue and that's not what he really meant. GF person eating food not GF can cause issues, can't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Yeah.

Sigh.

Day 1 and I'm about to make waves again.

Hello all!

I'm glad to see Linda blogging again. We have had the fortune to sail with her & Patty a couple of times in the past. We had no idea that she was going to be joining Patty on this cruise, but we had driven down to see Patty & Scott before they started their cruise. I thought I would add these photos we took at Fishlips during sail away.

1%2520Freedom%2520of%2520the%2520Seas%2520031313%2520PBC.JPG

3%2520Freedom%2520of%2520the%2520Seas%2520031713%2520PBC3.JPG

5%2520Freedom%2520of%2520the%2520Seas%2520031713%2520PBC%2520closeup%25202.JPG

We hope you all have a great cruise and we look forward to the rest of the blog!

Paul in Jacksonville, FL

It has been extremely frustrating lurking on the roll call to see what people are up to and what arrangements are being made for excursions. Equally saying nothing to Patty (we speak daily online) or here on the boards when appropriate comments have been made and I haven’t assisted or responded as I’ve not wanted to give the game away. I’ve said nothing on Facebook or to friends who may say something publicly online if they knew, albeit inadvertently.

Linda, you sneaky little devil. I can't believe you kept it a secret so well. Have a good time and let us know how the trip goes.

I agree, you are very good at keeping a secret! And here I was thinking you were planning to cruise a bit later this spring...good for you! And good for Patty, I know she was so happy to see you!

Have fun you two! Relax, laugh often, and sleep well!

Edited by Lynne95

Can't get onto Photobucket to upload or access pics :(

I am so relaxed it’s ridiculous! I slept really well last night despite waking at silly o’clock I went back to sleep to awaken at 820am. Wow. Talk about a restful sleep! I realise that the room isn’t totally dark… there are light spots… the corridor is really quiet. 10th floor clearly has its benefits.

There is a long queue for breakfast at the MDR by the time I get there (gone 9am) but I get seated quickly enough. Service was quite slow bearing in mind I threw in the GF spanner in the works. When the GF pancakes eventually arrived they very thick and inedible. I’ve had a melon plate and some eggs etc by then so am not too bothered. Will test the French toast tomorrow.

I’ve no time to address the issues from last night as our M&M is about to start. To be honest there’s not a lot of mingling going on but the Activities Manager shows up and warms things up. There’s a raffle and there’s nothing for me this time. I get the mike…. Well you knew I would…. And introduced myself as the lurker and why no-one knew who I was. There has been a list kept by one of the roll call of all the participants and he reads that off and people wave as their name is called. As the ‘Meet the Captain’ Event is due to start at the opposite end of the ship we head straight out over there.

We’re met at the entrance to the lounge by Drew, the Cruise Director. He greets Patty and I like we are old friends. He’s clearly not forgotten us from last year on Adventure. Patty has a pink monkey dressed in a pink boa for him. Hopefully this will appear on his desk for the morning TV show….. I manage to have a quick word with him about my dining experience last night and he said he will introduce me to the relevant person. The session is extremely well attended by guests; the executive crew are all there. What an amazing bunch they are. They introduced themselves and spoke briefly about their roles. They then fielded questions from the audience succinctly and with humour.

After the meeting Drew is chatting to other guests and the Hotel Director calls me over. He knows who I am. Seriously. More about that later. I ask him about who I should discuss the dining query with and he told me who to ask for in the MDR. He is a charming, attentive Australian. I am bowled over by this ship and crew. I thought Adventure was something but this is something else.

I sign up for a tour to Coba – Mayan ruins – on Cozumel. And then for the All Access Tour on Saturday. I’ve never done one and this is definitely the ship to do that. Should I pre-warn them about my diet as lunch is included…. Yes. I will. I promise. We’re dining in Portofino tomorrow and they were warned yesterday. Will see how that compares with what happened on Adventure…. Briefly dessert was a major fail and they invited me to take it on a different night.

Lunch in the MDR. There’s nothing on the menu that I fancy so I opt for the Tutti salad. They have no dressing for me. I ask for the person by name as specified previously and got someone else, of rank though. Notes were taken. The GF bread that eventually arrived was inedible. Seriously Freedom Chef….. Adventure cuisine rocked for me…. Hopefully the week will get better in the bread department. Chuckle.

Poolside. Men’s Belly Flop competition. I don’t see any restrictions on the tiered places alongside the bars so I find a vacant bed and am happy to observe. Drew orchestrates the event with humour and the atmosphere is vibrant. I realise that I am in camera shot so will likely be in the video. Hmmm. I need a Mudslide. World’s Sexiest Man competition. By now the Mudslide has taken effect. I stay for 2 examples of how not gyrate hips or do one armed push ups.

Weather-wise. It’s warm and sunny with occasional cloudy moments. Very, very windy. I spoke to a lady last night whose 3 year old been sunburnt yesterday. Words fail me.

Currently sitting in the ‘Olive or Twist’. ‘Summertime’ just playing. My kids will know what that song means to me. Hugs.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Trying to figure out what to do in Cozumel. One excursion offered on the website states : Dates, times and prices are subject to change and may vary by sailing. Shore & Land excursions must be purchase in the same currency as your cruise ticket purchase or Alaska Cruisetour reservation.

There’s a ferry ticket for £1267.50 Got to love the RCCL website.

I’ve just read a lovely review of this itinerary by jkskrap. Not sure what to do about Cozumel now.

So. I have a new conspirator on CC who asked if there were any questions for his friend Dave posting a live review from FoS. ;) Thanks to ticktoneer, breezy, emmy, elizanessie and ckrobyn for being ‘out there’ for me!! Call me Dave. Lol.

It was fun to have this little secret!! I am dying at the elevator story!! The best laid plans were layed to rest! LOL, just too funny! You couldn't have planned that any better...a surprise for BOTH of you!! Awesome!

Here is the actual photo that I took of them at sail away! Loved the boas and that is the only way I found you. I thought you were all going to be on the helipad. If you hadn't had those pink boas, we would have missed you!

64782_10151560973246189_1138738677_n.jpg

Thanks guys. You know how much I love doing this!!

Played in the slot tournament. Came 7/8. Sigh. Chuckle.

Something has worried me and I want your advice. I was discussing my Gluten Free options with our waiter. He brought tomorrow’s menu for me to choose from and they would make them GF. Then he commented on my selection saying that he didn’t think they COULD be made GF. So I replied that I was happy enough to choose from the GF options as listed on the menu at the time as I had done today. He said that I could trust him when he said that those items weren’t necessarily GF at all. I think a conversation with the Head Waiter is called for. What do you think?

I am soooooo loving your blog. I feel like I am right there with you!! I have been to that GIANT Walmart in Orlando and that airport many times. I just realized that had we done our regular vacation trek to Orlando this year I would have been there when your ship returned!! I am saddened now....knowing you are all there....that I could have been there at Fishlips to see you all when you sail in next weekend!

Hello all!

I'm glad to see Linda blogging again. We have had the fortune to sail with her & Patty a couple of times in the past. We had no idea that she was going to be joining Patty on this cruise, but we had driven down to see Patty & Scott before they started their cruise. I thought I would add these photos we took at Fishlips during sail away.

1%2520Freedom%2520of%2520the%2520Seas%2520031313%2520PBC.JPG

3%2520Freedom%2520of%2520the%2520Seas%2520031713%2520PBC3.JPG

5%2520Freedom%2520of%2520the%2520Seas%2520031713%2520PBC%2520closeup%25202.JPG

We hope you all have a great cruise and we look forward to the rest of the blog!

Paul in Jacksonville, FL

Hi Paul!! Lucky you to be able to be at Fishlips for their sail away! You got some REALLY good shots. I have been there to watch ships go out and the food and drinks are awesome....not to mention the HUGE ships sailing out!! Thanks for posting your shots from that day!

Currently sitting in the ‘Olive or Twist’. ‘Summertime’ just playing. My kids will know what that song means to me. Hugs.

And I am having a wonderful time enjoying your blog! Love your writing style and your photos are great! Thank you for taking us along on your Freedom cruise! :cool:

Absolutely love your blogs, followed your one on Adventure, not long now for us :) v excited :)

Saw your photo of the dining room sign, I thought flip flops & shorts were ok for during the day, oops

Enjoy the rest of your week and thanks again for letting us sail with you!! :)

Good morning everyone,

Pulling in to Labadee as we speak. Had an early night last night so I can make the most of today. Thought I would post the rest of the pics from yesterday.

As an aside..... I forgot to bring my hair mousse which helps to stop my hair from frizzing. They don't sell it on board. Wonder if there' a better store ashore otherwise I may wear my sun hat in to meals..... ;)

Note to self.... before saying you are going to post pics make sure you have uploaded from the camera.....:rolleyes:

2nd note to self.... in future upload somewhere else.... my room access is rubbish.... much better in 'Olive or Twist'. Uploading to Photobucket is taking ages..... I have better things to do!

Laters x

Enjoying your review, love the surprise to your friends - and us CC readers!!

The countdown is on for my own trip on Freedom (Eastern ports) and looking at your pictures is relieving the pain of a foot (or more) of snow that is falling today!