Bit of a (surprise) Blog – Freedom of the Seas – Western Caribbean – 17th March 2013

I’m woken around 8am by the Captain’s announcement that we have arrived and the tendering process is about to commence. How pleasurable it has been to be on board a relatively empty ship. I have walked around taking pics and hopefully will cover odd questions I have seen on the boards in the past.

The mission to feed me up continues apace. I request a melon plate at breakfast and receive 2. One is languishing in my fridge as I type. I fashion a GF smoked salmon and cream cheese sandwich…. You have no idea how much I miss bagels.

As requested previously I establish that the feta cheese is pasteurised and have a pic of the label from a jar of the Caesar salad dressing they use. Was not able to establish if the egg is cooked.

I spend an hour in the solarium reading and dozing (fyi I am reading ‘Ishmael’ by Daniel Quinn as recommended to me by a dear friend back in the UK. Very thought provoking.) An hour of this morning sun is all I can manage. I spend less than 5 minutes in one of those cantilevered tubs (hot hot hot) and swim in the pool. I am intrigued by the seats that are in there…. I guess they encourage people to hang out and chat….

I tour the ship taking pictures. I have pics of the dedicated seating area which is above the Sky bar. I run into Drew and congratulate him on the really fantastic ‘Love and Marriage’ show last night. I actually made an event!! Lol.

Lunch in WJ is very civilised. I ask to speak to a chef as the lovely manager showing me around doesn’t appear to know what he is taking about. Just as well as some of the items he said were GF weren’t. Not a lot that is already prepared is suitable for me and the chef offers to cook me anything I want. I decline as I’m happy to have salad.

Oh Linda!!! I don't want your trip to end.....I'm enjoying your live review so much! As I sit here in Delaware watching snow fall....enjoying your warm sunny pics of Jamaica! Thank you again for sharing this with us. I always anxiously await your next post....

gotta love watching the snow fall today and wishing for warmth and a palm tree...

Wrote this to post tomorrow but I have a long day in Cozumel so not sure when I will be back.... this ties up Thursday...

I had my hair done by Georgina in the salon. Even with the coupon in the booklet extremely expensive BUT I feel relatively human again. I miss my hair dryer…. The one in the room is just awful.

English afternoon tea for the Brits on board. No senior staff to welcome us just an area of deck 4 dining room set aside for us. Everyone got dainty little finger sandwiches made the British way; scones with jam and cream; little pastries. Except me. I eventually got 2 doorstep pieces of bread, one with smoked salmon and one with turkey. Hmmm. They redeemed themselves by serving up a GF dessert from the evening menu (if you’re reading this did you think I wouldn’t realise!?) BUT threw in some chocolate covered strawberries!!! I had interesting company, though her description of her perforated bowel and its incumbent side effects almost threatened to destroy the enjoyment of the white chocolate mousse……

There hasn’t been one single day when I’ve not passed a surface being cleaned or a carpet being vacuumed. All the public areas are being scrupulously maintained. Whilst nearly everyone was ashore yesterday they were maintaining half the main pool area. At the Platinum / Emerald event last night, underneath the humour bandied about between the Captain and the Hotel Director lies a very serious and disciplined established core of controlled supervision. It is simply outstanding. We were shown a film about ‘Save the Waves’ and it was obvious to me that as conservation is treated so admirably seriously by this ship and crew so is everything else within their remit. This is why I am loyal to Royal. I feel safe, looked after and respected.

The overfeeding however needs to be addressed. I asked Nikki last night for her mother’s phone number so I could have a word. They have to stop throwing food at me; last night they had baked a poppy seed bread for me which was delicious…. Then dished up crostinis …. Ordered Lobster tail…… got 2…. Had to order extras for everyone else as a result!!! Then after I had started dessert told me they had 2 more cupcakes for me…… I still have one in my room from the previous day!! I’d lost over 8lbs in the run up to this cruise and it’s all back on…. Oh and Nikki asked what I wanted for breakfast tomorrow and she would organise it. Anything. I made her promise to stop but she persists. I have 2 WOW cards…. One will be for her…. The other to a young assistant waitress called Maria who has been very unobtrusively doing her best to support and assist. If you can see Nikki’s badge in the pic it says ‘Dining Room Manager’. Seriously. I’ve seen her clear tables. And for those of you who resent tipping the Head Waiters….. never again will I be a part of that chorus. Ever. I’ve met more Head Waiters this cruise than I thought existed. Makes up for all those cruises where I never saw one…..

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Wrote this to post tomorrow but I have a long day in Cozumel so not sure when I will be back.... this ties up Thursday...

I had my hair done by Georgina in the salon. Even with the coupon in the booklet extremely expensive BUT I feel relatively human again. I miss my hair dryer…. The one in the room is just awful.

English afternoon tea for the Brits on board. No senior staff to welcome us just an area of deck 4 dining room set aside for us. Everyone got dainty little finger sandwiches made the British way; scones with jam and cream; little pastries. Except me. I eventually got 2 doorstep pieces of bread, one with smoked salmon and one with turkey. Hmmm. They redeemed themselves by serving up a GF dessert from the evening menu (if you’re reading this did you think I wouldn’t realise!?) BUT threw in some chocolate covered strawberries!!! I had interesting company, though her description of her perforated bowel and its incumbent side effects almost threatened to destroy the enjoyment of the white chocolate mousse……

There hasn’t been one single day when I’ve not passed a surface being cleaned or a carpet being vacuumed. All the public areas are being scrupulously maintained. Whilst nearly everyone was ashore yesterday they were maintaining half the main pool area. At the Platinum / Emerald event last night, underneath the humour bandied about between the Captain and the Hotel Director lies a very serious and disciplined established core of controlled supervision. It is simply outstanding. We were shown a film about ‘Save the Waves’ and it was obvious to me that as conservation is treated so admirably seriously by this ship and crew so is everything else within their remit. This is why I am loyal to Royal. I feel safe, looked after and respected.

The overfeeding however needs to be addressed. I asked Nikki last night for her mother’s phone number so I could have a word. They have to stop throwing food at me; last night they had baked a poppy seed bread for me which was delicious…. Then dished up crostinis …. Ordered Lobster tail…… got 2…. Had to order extras for everyone else as a result!!! Then after I had started dessert told me they had 2 more cupcakes for me…… I still have one in my room from the previous day!! I’d lost over 8lbs in the run up to this cruise and it’s all back on…. Oh and Nikki asked what I wanted for breakfast tomorrow and she would organise it. Anything. I made her promise to stop but she persists. I have 2 WOW cards…. One will be for her…. The other to a young assistant waitress called Maria who has been very unobtrusively doing her best to support and assist. If you can see Nikki’s badge in the pic it says ‘Dining Room Manager’. Seriously. I’ve seen her clear tables. And for those of you who resent tipping the Head Waiters….. never again will I be a part of that chorus. Ever. I’ve met more Head Waiters this cruise than I thought existed. Makes up for all those cruises where I never saw one…..

And if you see Jody from Trinidad as a head waiter please tell her that her Delaware family Cris and Dee miss her!!! She is so so beautiful and such an awesome young lady that we met years ago on the Explorer in Portofinos...she has worked her way up the ranks!!

After reading thread after thread of why people are loyal to their favorite cruise lines, this statement (in bold) speaks the serious, honest truth. So happy you are having such a great cruise. All of here are loving your cruise too!

Jamaica and Cozumel will be new ports for me. Will likely take tours with RCCL; not interested in beaches so may visit the Bob Marley house on Jamaica and check the Mayans out on Cozumel. Not sure whether I will go ashore on Grand Cayman. I really need a rest!! If Patty has a tour arranged with space available I may jump in there. Am not used to being this fluid….. whilst not a total organisation freak going with the flow takes some doing at this level….. would still like to make best use of the expense….

Here’s my plan. Patty and Scott will board early, lunch in WJ; head to their room; unpack / stake out at the Pool Bar. Predictable maybe but it helps with my mission. My intention is to get a bar steward / crew member to take a gift bag / box with my pink boa over to them at the pool bar….. maybe with a cryptic message attached….. that should do it…. Hopefully I can be in a location to watch. Now if the upgrade fairy were to visit and pop me in a PR room (at time of writing a PR is now cheaper than an inside but in any case still dearer than I paid) I could set them on a trail and watch!!! (did that with DD1 first time on Adventure ;)) I’ve not cruised in an inside before so this will be something else that is new.

Later….

I’ve now spilled the beans to a friend I met on CC and hooked up with on FB. She is heading off soon on a B2B on Adventure and on her return hopefully she can help me scheme…. Helps to have someone to sound ideas off of. I’ll confess here that I’m nervous about travelling BA economy. For those of you new to my background I had hip revision surgery just over 2 years ago and slipped a disc after Adventure last year. I try and use Air Miles to upgrade to Business so I can put my feet up but there was no availability for this trip.

Some time later. I’ve done something to my knee….. the other leg…. Sat on a London Transport bus and wrenched it. Now I’m fearful of sitting in Economy. Upgraded to Premium Economy. Cannot spring for Business. At least I will have more leg room.

Even later……

I’ve emailed Javia Shaw on Jamaica (knowjamaica.com) to see if I can join a tour that Patty has booked for a group of people. Had to let him in on the secret as I don’t want the beans spilled…..

You *Have* to get off the ship at Grand Cayman... of all the places we've been too, Grand Cayman is our favorite port. So nice there. It is a nice safe port where the locals don't harass you. Its the one port we are going to miss on our Allure cruise.

You *Have* to get off the ship at Grand Cayman... of all the places we've been too, Grand Cayman is our favorite port. So nice there. It is a nice safe port where the locals don't harass you. Its the one port we are going to miss on our Allure cruise.

mad-dog - any suggestions for Grand Cayman would be appreciated for when I'm there in May!

Linda - May can't get here fast enough....I'm tired of having to go home from work and cook for myself! By the way....the menu choices sound good to me...I think I'm going to have a hard time deciding what to get sometimes. Lord knows I shouldn't have double dinners....lol.

NorbertsNiece

I am loving the review, the pictures and the food. But it is driving me mad, I look at the pictures and I see warmth, good times and happiness, I step outside the office in Wapping and I see people dressing up as polar bears for warmth. Na its really good to see people enjoying themselves on holiday. One of the best things about Royal, if there is a issue and you make them aware, they go out of their way to correct it. Now all I need to do now is wait 42 days for my own sunny (hopefully) adventure.

Kind Regards

Oddjob

Edited by oddjob26

We have done the Turtle Farm and Stingray City with the kids.... if you would enjoy snorkeling, etc. Stingray City is a MUST... so awesome. We arranged a private tour to avoid the ship crowds.

If that isnt your thing, just shopping and strolling around is nice too... it is a fabulous port... nothing like some of the ones you go to. People speak English and you are very safe and feel comfortable (not uneasy) there.

There is a little town there called HELL.... a lot of people like to go there just to send postcards from Hell.

Hi Linda, I've just found your blog. It's amazing just as your Adventure blog was. You really make me feel as if I'm there. What a nice surprise for Patty and Scott for you to sail with them again. Please tell them hello from Jay and I and tell them they have a beautiful daughter. I would have lived to have been at that elevator meet that must have been very surprising and amusing. I hope you all enjoy your cruise, I will be following along for sure. Have fun.

Rhonda

Linda,

Thank you ever so much for taking the photos of the suite area by the pool for me and for all the photos you've taken. You've done a wonderful job!!

It was very nice of you to take time out of your vacation to bring us all along with you!

Rhonda!!! Hi :D

I've been to GC before.... swam with stingrays.... I just needed some quiet down time you know?

I’m in bed. One really long day.

Let’s wind back the clock a bit. Forgot to mention our late sailaway from Grand Cayman yesterday. 600 passengers still awaiting transfer from shore at that time. Haven’t ascertained why their delay.

Hung out for a bit in the Schooner Bar again. The Piano Man is excellent. Every time I’ve been there or walked past it has been packed. I went to Quest. Drew Devine at his best. Very very funny. His spontaneous humour is so sharp witted.