Bit of a (surprise) Blog – Freedom of the Seas – Western Caribbean – 17th March 2013

I think cupcakes are $2.95..... not paid for one yet..... will confirm...

There's suite seating by the pool? Not seen it.... will look for it tomorrow and take pics.....

Thanks for not flaming me with regards to the food thing.... I know what some on CC are like....

Marni.... get out of here!!! Seriously?!! Rofl xxx

Sitting on Deck 11. Sing-along-with Grease on the big outdoor screen :D

I’ve had a fabulous day with Patty, her family and friends and with Javia Shaw. Started off well at breakfast with GF pancakes and bread. They are on a mission to feed me up and continually checking to see if I am ok. Navigator is parked up alongside us. When I meet Patty on the pier it turns out the plate of breads and muffins in my room last night came from Portofino.

We find Javia waiting just beyond the shops and he and Patty have a joyful reunion. She introduces everyone and we head off. Despite the fact that I have a notebook and pen in my bag I neglect to bring it out so some of the places are a bit sketchy name-wise. It’s quite a trek from Falmouth to Dunn’s River Falls where Patty’s family leave us. I certainly don’t have a level of fitness to negotiate the falls. Javia drives us in to Ocho Rios and is very efficient at explaining the surroundings and the various landmarks. We stop to look at views; visit a friend’s bar which has had an electricity outage and stop at another for a drink.

Pick up the kids and then we go to visit Carl, the Rasta Spice Man. He lives in what can loosely be described as a shack half way up a mountain in Fern Gully. This is lush rainforest and he talks to us about the various fruits and spices that grow in the region. I have never tasted sugar cane before and the whole experience is quite unique and exceptional; something that will never be considered as an organised stop for a tour. There are no facilities just Carl, the shack, his cat and the opportunity to handle spices such as nutmeg, ginger and various fruits and seeds. This is why I like taking independent tours…. You get to experience the area from a different perspective.

Javia take us to see a few more sites before heading back to Falmouth. Wednesdays in Falmouth is market day. It is packed. Heaving. It’s a vibrant place but I do know I wouldn’t feel at ease walking around on my own. Really glad to be in a van.

Battery running low. Singing along to Grease is very diverting! Need to charge this up.

Sailaway is delayed. A returning tour is running late…. At least that is what I think I heard …. When the Captain is speaking why don’t people stop talking so we can hear the announcement? The rest of my group have gone to Margeritaville so I am dining alone. I am seated with strangers in a different part of the dining room. A wonderful meal ensues with a very active waiter and assistant. I am visited by various members of the dining room staff as well as the chef. He has prepared GF pasta for me….. honestly enough to feed the whole table! Nikki comes by and hands me a covered plate with 2 GF cupcakes…. A chocolate one and a vanilla one….. She says something about Tapas tomorrow… it’s formal night and I hadn’t planned on going….. I’ve now chosen my dinner for tomorrow…. My eating consciously plan has failed spectacularly.

Conversation at the dining table has been animated and I slip the words ‘Cruise Critic’ early on. One of my companions has picked this up and the topic turns to dress code in the dining room….. and why it isn’t enforced. I said that this is a frequent topic of conversation on these boards…. Apparently shorts were seen in the MDR on Formal Night.

I’m not going ashore tomorrow in Grand Cayman and will spend my day reading, swimming maybe attend a Trivia contest…. There’s a basic Russian class later in the day….. The new itineraries for 2014 for Northern Europe have just been released…. There’s a wonderful 12 day on Legend with 3 days in St Petersburg that I would dearly love to sign up for in June '14. Had words with the Loyalty Ambassador. Only 1 sea day so very intensive. I’ll look at the various alternate dates when I get back…. I already have my Next Cruise Certificate. Oooh nearly forgot…. afternoon tea for British guests hosted by the Dining Room Manager and the Exec Chef. And Platinum & Emerald C&A in the evening….. missed a previous meet earlier in the week…. The times are never conducive to my schedule!! Lol.

I still have to find the answer to the question about eggs, feta cheese and smoking in the pub. Am on it.

Reading your posts is certainly getting me excited for my first cruise on Freedom of the Seas. Would appreciate pictures of Vintages wine list if you get a chance. I have heard the "house wine" is awful so wanting to see what other wine options are on board. Your pictures and descriptions are wonderful! Happy Cruising!! :D

I know there were a lot of complaints about the wine in the Diamond lounge, and That RCL had changed their house wine. We cruised with someone who experienced the other house wines a couple of weeks before my Navigator cruise and she told us they did another fleet wide change to another set of new wines. She said they were better. Apparently the wines they had changed to were awful. Hope this is true for FOS. I was on Navigator February 23 with the second set of new fleet wide house wines.

Linda, glad to hear that the GF food is finally being addressed. In this day and age with so many people having that problem, you would think they would accommodate these diet needs in a better manor.

I am LOVING a

Our blog and ALL of your photos.

MARNI.....I was thinking of doing it too, but it was just too close to my last Navigator cruise. It is actually a good thing I am not on FOS, my back went out and I can't even walk!! That would not have been fun!

Linda, looking forward to tomorrow's posts!

Thanks for not flaming me with regards to the food thing.... I know what some on CC are like....

I've flamed some in my time but if anyone flames you after all the amazing work and time you've put into what is hands down the best FOS blog this compulsive board reader has had the pleasure to peruse the pixels of I personally will be much offended.

If you can I'd love to know what movies are playing.

Over 6 inches of snow here in Denver this weekend, which is awesome because 1) Far far less likely to have a big airplane-stopping snowstorm next weekend and 2) I'll be that much more psyched for sand and sun. although I do love the snow actually.

I loved loved loved the Jamaica pics, I lived in Falmouth for 2 months in 1994 and friends stayed in Duncans and what memories those bring back. double psyched.

Well I'm running on. Thanks.

So, is Park West back on RCCL? Thought RCCL created a new group. Art by Royal or something similar. At least it was different on the Allure in July when we last cruised.

BTW...your review and pictures are just wonderful! Thanks for including us in your surprise cruise.

Edited by denamo

I've flamed some in my time but if anyone flames you after all the amazing work and time you've put into what is hands down the best FOS blog this compulsive board reader has had the pleasure to peruse the pixels of I personally will be much offended.

If you can I'd love to know what movies are playing.

Over 6 inches of snow here in Denver this weekend, which is awesome because 1) Far far less likely to have a big airplane-stopping snowstorm next weekend and 2) I'll be that much more psyched for sand and sun. although I do love the snow actually.

I loved loved loved the Jamaica pics, I lived in Falmouth for 2 months in 1994 and friends stayed in Duncans and what memories those bring back. double psyched.

Well I'm running on. Thanks.

Work email this morning so have popped by.

Movies? As on pay to view? On the big screen outside? In the cinema?

NO SMOKING IN THE PUB.

Will remember eggs and cheese question and suite seating at pool. Are there any more questions that you'd like answered? Clock ticking down.

Have made appt for hair salon for formal tonight.... will do before and after pic.... not saying I will post both ...... am looking more and more like an alien from a sci fi movie on a bad day.....

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Work email this morning so have popped by.

Movies? As on pay to view? On the big screen outside? In the cinema?

NO SMOKING IN THE PUB.

Will remember eggs and cheese question and suite seating at pool. Are there any more questions that you'd like answered? Clock ticking down.

Have made appt for hair salon for formal tonight.... will do before and after pic.... not saying I will post both ...... am looking more and more like an alien from a sci fi movie on a bad day.....

Oh Linda!!! I don't want your trip to end.....I'm enjoying your live review so much! As I sit here in Delaware watching snow fall....enjoying your warm sunny pics of Jamaica! Thank you again for sharing this with us. I always anxiously await your next post....

Ode to Freedom.

Emmy or breeezy if you have a better copy of this please post it.

IMG_1370.jpg

LINDA!!!! you found the framed 'Ode to Freedom' poem and it is still hanging on Freedom of the Seas. This poem was composed by some of the posters on the Cruise Critic roll call for the Freedom of the Seas Inaugural.

The names of the contributors appear in the bottom right. I see my name. Here is a copy I have that Captain Bill graciously signed for many of us. I have copy framed and hanging in my office here at home. He came to our Meet & Mingle and wore a pink boa and was quite the gracious man that day.

Thanks for the wonderful memory and for posting this photo Ooops too big post another one lol

Better not so big now :)

P1120884.JPG

Edited by emmy