Does my husband need a jacket????

We are off on the Dream on the 7th April and was wondering if my husband needs to take a jacket or will trousers, shirt and tie or even open necked shirt be OK for dinner. Will he be able to go to the "dressier nights" dressed like that or should he take one. He doesn't have a DJ or suit but has a jacket or a blazor

On our first cruise on the Celebration, DH wore a navy blazer and grey trousers with a shirt and tie. When we went on the Jewell of the Seas he wore a suit, but then I decided to buy him a DJ for Christmas, which was about £70 in Matalan and very smart he looks in it :) he must have worn it more than 20 times since then, so a bargain :)

Reports differ but on all normal evenings in the main dining room a casual shirt with collar and casual trousers such as chinos or slacks etc will be fine. A tie is not required.

On formal night most wear a dinner jacket or dark suit but there are reports of staff suggesting you will be OK with a ordinery jacket or just shirt and tie.

there is only one dressier night a week and you could always eat in the buffet that evening as it has dressed and laid tables with the staff in their posh uniforms etc.

On our first cruise on the Celebration, DH wore a navy blazer and grey trousers with a shirt and tie. When we went on the Jewell of the Seas he wore a suit, but then I decided to buy him a DJ for Christmas, which was about £70 in Matalan and very smart he looks in it :) he must have worn it more than 20 times since then, so a bargain :)

Thanks for that, Linda. I knew someone had mentioned a shop where they had got a DJ at a decent price but I couldn't remember which shop.

Does anyone know if they still sell them?

my hubby has just bought a dress shirt with dicky bow also a black jacket and trousers all machine washable and good quality for £36 everything from primark he cant wait til next cruise to wear it all

Thanks for that, Linda. I knew someone had mentioned a shop where they had got a DJ at a decent price but I couldn't remember which shop.

Does anyone know if they still sell them?

Asda usually have them in aswell.

Thanks for all the replies. Don't really want to go out and buy a Dj or suit as I don't know if we would cruise again. I think we will take shirts and tie ans see if we have room for a jacket,as someone says we can always eat elsewhere

Thanks, Kalos. I had a look myself and when I said to him tonight, he said he has a dinner suit (which he wore a number of years ago but which he is determined to get into again). So, I am looking forward to going with a very handsome, sveldt man in a dinner suit :D

I know just what you mean Linda. I bought a long dress at a knock-down price in a sale some years ago - it comes out every cruise and has now cost me just over £1 a wear!!!!!!!! :eek: Doesn't that sound cheap-skate? But I really like it and never get the chance to wear it any other time so it will continue to be pressed into action whilst it still looks ok. :rolleyes: (Just rely on the fact that the same folk aren't on every cruise saying - is that woman still wearing that dress? As if anyone notices - or cares! :D )

[/b]

I know just what you mean Linda. I bought a long dress at a knock-down price in a sale some years ago - it comes out every cruise and has now cost me just over £1 a wear!!!!!!!! :eek: Doesn't that sound cheap-skate? But I really like it and never get the chance to wear it any other time so it will continue to be pressed into action whilst it still looks ok. :rolleyes: (Just rely on the fact that the same folk aren't on every cruise saying - is that woman still wearing that dress? As if anyone notices - or cares! :D )

You are lucky that it fits after all those years. I now have a formal long cruise dress which I hope to wear for many years to come as it will keep me slim(ish). :D. Reminder to me....need to loose at least 3lbs in 3 weeks to be able to wear it on next cruise!

You are lucky that it fits after all those years. I now have a formal long cruise dress which I hope to wear for many years to come as it will keep me slim(ish). :D. Reminder to me....need to loose at least 3lbs in 3 weeks to be able to wear it on next cruise!

That's my problem too - I have to lose about 5/6 lbs after every cruise to make sure I can into my clothes for the next one! :eek:

Do people wear the same dress twice on back to back cruises or do you take 2 different outfits.

With the restriction in luggage these days I can't see how it is possible to take 2 formal outfits.

Hi Little Nell

Why not wear the same outfit twice? I take enough clothes for a week's holiday and rotate them. Used to wear dresses but have changed to skirts/trousers and various lightweight tops to ring the changes. Also take the minimum of shoes. Should anything befall a garment it can be put to the laundry. Wouldn't dream of going near a laundrette on holiday.:eek: Smalls can be washed in the sink and hung up in the shower overnight.;) :)

Do people wear the same dress twice on back to back cruises or do you take 2 different outfits.

With the restriction in luggage these days I can't see how it is possible to take 2 formal outfits.

On a one week cruise to Aegean I wore my cocktail dress on formal night and then again on the last night and so it appeared did many others and it was remarked about on our table that it was a nice thing to see so many ladies "dressed up". The men of course did not wear their suits.

On my last cruise I only took 4 outfits for the nights and wore some twice. Saved me on the number of shoes I had to take too.

On the next one, with 3 of us ladies going, not sure....

1. May feel more like wearing something different each night

2. With DH not being there, no extra space in his suitcase for me. :eek:

Thanks for all the replies. Don't really want to go out and buy a Dj or suit as I don't know if we would cruise again. I think we will take shirts and tie ans see if we have room for a jacket,as someone says we can always eat elsewhere

Please don't feel you need to eat elsewhere on formal night. On our cruise last month I didn't notice ANY dinner jackets. If there were any they were in the minority. I found the idea of a formal night very daunting before my first cruise but then I realised that passengers don't dress up as much as I'd been led to believe. We are paying customers so wear what you feel most comfortable with. I promise the staff won't take any notice!

Took a suit for hubby on our Red Sea Cruise which he wore on formal night. That was just on a week long cruise. With the same 20K allowance for a 14 night cruise we would have struggled to fit a suit in . To me it also did not feel right having to pack a suit in the Caribbean. I was so pleased we never bothered as there were plenty of men in just shirt and ties. Some wore a waistcoat as well, (not so bulky to pack).

The one thing I was annoyed at not packing, were our "loud shirts" for the deck party. We saw loads of people wearing them for this night. So if you do already own a Caribbean shirt take it along.

Lorraine

Archived