Where is QM2?

turquoise 6

[quote name='lannp']Update from the QM2.
Since they left Southampton they have had almost continuously Force 8-9 winds. The seas are running 20-40 ft. and outside decks except for deck 8 have been closed. All the pools have been drained. The Commodore might allow deck 7 to be opened today.[/QUOTE]
Now thats a crossing!!!!:D Will the QM2 arrive in Brooklyn late?

[quote name='turquoise 6']Now thats a crossing!!!!:D Will the QM2 arrive in Brooklyn late?[/QUOTE]Not likely! On June 19, 2004, ([url=http://s102.photobucket.com/user/pb82/library/0z%202004%20Caribbean%20June%2011-19?sort=6&page=1]our first QM2 cruise[/url]) she returned a few hours late to New York because on June 16 she had to spend several hours in an unsuccessful search for an overboard suicide and on June 17 she had to reverse course to rendezvous with a medevac helicopter.

New York weather for Sunday, December 22nd reads: "Areas of fog before noon. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 67°F (19°C). Breezy, with a southwest wind 13 to 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%."

Sunrise 7:16 AM, Sunset 4:32 PM

Low tide at 5:11PM under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge so her funnel will not appear as dramatically close as it does at other times.

Weather-wise, what a difference from 2009. There was a big snowstorm the day before and all the airports were shut down. Over 300 people didn't arrive for the sailing. Cunard finally had to give up trying to fly in almost 200 Brits and they had to stay home.
Some arrived and Cunard met them at the airport and said the ship had finally sailed without them (we were over 2 hrs. late leaving) and they were put up in a hotel in NYC and flown down to the Caribbean the next morning to await our arrival a few days later.
If I hadn't flown in 2 days early I would not have made the sailing.
The ship had a rough trip into NYC from a previous Caribbean sailing but did arrive on time. Before I left my Manhattan hotel I made sure the ship was at the pier.

[quote name='lannp']Weather-wise, what a difference from 2009. There was a big snowstorm the day before and all the airports were shut down. Over 300 people didn't arrive for the sailing. Cunard finally had to give up trying to fly in almost 200 Brits and they had to stay home.
Some arrived and Cunard met them at the airport and said the ship had finally sailed without them (we were over 2 hrs. late leaving) and they were put up in a hotel in NYC and flown down to the Caribbean the next morning to await our arrival a few days later.
If I hadn't flown in 2 days early I would not have made the sailing.
The ship had a rough trip into NYC from a previous Caribbean sailing but did arrive on time. Before I left my Manhattan hotel I made sure the ship was at the pier.[/QUOTE]

I have been on the cruise to NY that day. In the afternoon of Dec20th we had nice weather and 20 C. Within a few hours the thermometer dropped by 25 C and a blizzard cought us from the Virginias. It was not only the storm, the high waves and the snow, the ship took a lot of ice. We arrived in time but couldn't disembark as the snow was to high and no transport available.

Fortunately we had planned to stay on and had rooms booked at the Waldorf. Others weren't that lucky as airports were closed and trains not running. That was the last caribbian cruise by Cunard in early December.

The day improved and the skies became blue. A wonderful day in Central Park. Only the guy who cleared his car of the snow by the use of a metal shovel wasn't to happy in the end . Well, must have been a New Yorker....

I received an email from my close friends and staff .
They told me it was a very rough and very interesting crossing
Yes with consistent 30 to 40 ft waves
8 , 9 , 10? Force
They Will tell me moré when we meet Sunday.
I had been looking at the marine Atlantic map
And had other cc members track this storm
Since Dec 15 and it was immense and strong

The Qm2 is in the Caribbean for its annual
New York based Caribbean cruise
In New York , we will not see the Qm2
Until mid next year
Alas what does one do to escape the
New York winter?
Book the New York based 2013 ship
Made for New York and sailing to Bahamas and Caribbean
The NCL s/s Breakaway
Bon voyage !:)

Hi Turquoise. I too lament that QM2 will not be sailing from NY for many months. But the Breakaway is not my kind of ship. I'm looking more towards land based vacations here in the United States. It's a huge country with so many beaches, and there is so much of it that I have yet to experience. Meanwhile, I will try and embrace the NY winter which is something I have not done for many years; there was the QM2 escape to the Caribbean voyages to look forward to in the fall and winter, but that is no longer an option. No worries, we'll find new adventures :)

Best wishes for the new year, and happy sails to all.

Cheers,
Salacia Edited by Salacia

[quote name='Whitemarsh']If you're looking to escape the Northern Hemisphere winter, why not jump on QE which leave New York for warmer climates on the 18th January?

[IMG]http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-FkvNQ7f/0/XL/i-FkvNQ7f-XL.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]
Hi Whitemarsh
Yes you make a great idea!!!
Why not?:). I Will look ínto this
T :)

[quote name='Salacia']Hi Turquoise. I too lament that QM2 will not be sailing from NY for many months. But the Breakaway is not my kind of ship. I'm looking more towards land based vacations here in the United States. It's a huge country with so many beaches, and there is so much of it that I have yet to experience. Meanwhile, I will try and embrace the NY winter which is something I have not done for many years; there was the QM2 escape to the Caribbean voyages to look forward to in the fall and winter, but that is no longer an option. No worries, we'll find new adventures :)

Best wishes for the new year, and happy sails to all.

Cheers,
Salacia[/QUOTE]
Hi Salacia
This winter in New York is cold , as you know
Yes that's what I meant that the Qm2
Doesn't have the winter cruises from NY
I could fly to Puerto Rico , but no cruise
Whitemarsh made a good point about the Jan 18
On QE. An elegant ship!!!
Oh well
But for now Salacia : Happy New Year
With many Cruises!!!!!'
T:)

I too am sorry that QM2 is gone from NY for so many months. I really liked it when Cunard was doing the 5 day trips from NY to the Bahamas a few years back. I am forced to go to another line for spring break and this year, a NYE cruise. Oh well, retirement, and more flexibility are coming! :)

[quote name='Lady Hudson']I too am sorry that QM2 is gone from NY for so many months. I really liked it when Cunard was doing the 5 day trips from NY to the Bahamas a few years back. I am forced to go to another line for spring break and this year, a NYE cruise. Oh well, retirement, and more flexibility are coming! :)[/quote]
yes I was on one of the Bahamas,Eleuthera cruise. It was great.
It is no nice to be able to sail out of NY and back again.
Again the NCL is serving NY on a weekly basis. I sailed on the Breakaway.
It is very different than the QM2 or Queen Elizabeth,but it has some very inviting cruises coming up this winter:)

[quote name='turquoise 6']yes I was on one of the Bahamas,Eleuthera cruise. It was great.
It is no nice to be able to sail out of NY and back again.
Again the NCL is serving NY on a weekly basis. I sailed on the Breakaway.
It is very different than the QM2 or Queen Elizabeth,but it has some very inviting cruises coming up this winter:)[/QUOTE]

QM2 cruises from NY to Eleuthera in 2008...the ship speed to warmer weather, and docked in Princess Cay. After embarking in NYC, the following afternoon we were in heaven: sea, sky, and warm weather embraced us. It was a short cruise but ever so memorable. If I remember correctly, passengers paid dearly for those voyages, and to me, it was well worth the cost. Twice we took that cruise, only weeks apart. <sigh> those were the days.

[quote name='Salacia']QM2 cruises from NY to Eleuthera in 2008...the ship speed to warmer weather, and docked in Princess Cay. After embarking in NYC, the following afternoon we were in heaven: sea, sky, and warm weather embraced us. It was a short cruise but ever so memorable. If I remember correctly, passengers paid dearly for those voyages, and to me, it was well worth the cost. Twice we took that cruise, only weeks apart. <sigh> those were the days.[/QUOTE]
yes ,that was a great cruise and to a beautiful island in the Bahamas.
Yes ,you are right."those were the days"
If i want to sail out of new york, I will look for other cruise ships that sail
in the winter from NY. NCL has some good cruises and a reward program.:)

I don't know how "real time" the marine tracker I follow is, but it seems like she's docking now. It looks like she made very good time today to get to New York early. Hopefully those on her will not have too much of a challenge getting home tomorrow, and those planning to embark tomorrow will be able to get to New York.

cunardline:
For all guests boarding Queen Mary 2 in New York today, we can confirm that she will not depart before midnight, as a result of the weather.

Info from Twitter

cunardline: The Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is open and accessible by road. We will continue to monitor the situation and update you on any developments.