Can you buy winter coats at the ports?

alwayswantedtobekelli

I talked to a friend who went on an Alaskian cruise two years ago and she told us that they bought beautiful heavy coats right at the port for $19.99!! Has anyone seen these? If this is the case, I may skip packing mine and just buy one when we get there. Can anyone confirm that they've seen this recently?

Thanks

I have been to Alaska many times and have never seen a $19.99 jacket fit the description that you have given. In the $19.99 price range I have seen a jacket that says "Alaska" or one of the other port name and it has a small fleece liner. Maybe she hit a sale at one of the shops at the end of the cruising season and that's why she got such a great jacket.

Personally, I would never leave home without a jacket thinking that I will pick one up in Alaska. At least I know that the jacket that I take to Alaska will keep me warm in all types of situations --- can't say that about a jacket I pick up at a local shop for $19.99.

I know I have read where others recommend you buy coats, sweatshirts in port for great deals, but I think it was Ketchikan that was mentioned and as this is our last port, it would not work out to wait. And maybe those great sales were in September?

But I'll be keeping my eyes open in May, just in case.

We bought fleece/water resistant jackets in Juneau. Also saw similar in Skagway and Ketchikan. I wouldn't call them super heavy like for a northern winter - but they are fabulous for a Texas winter (temps get to freezing here, too - a few days in January anyway). They were great for our trip, and a fabulous souvenir.

When you are in like for embarkation in Seattle or Vancouver - be on the look out for 'tour books' - the have tons of coupons in them for discounts in all the big shops in most of the ports. Those shops are pretty much owned by the cruise lines - but offer great deals.

We also purposely shopped in local owned shops, too.

i have sailed more in may or sept so that might be a factor but i have seen winter jackets everywhere in all the ports. i got a micro-fiber reversable hooded jacket in skagway for $20. i have no idea what shop it was at though. they may not compare too columbian but they do the job. i never pack a sweatshirt either. there are many in the ports. packing light is key for me.

My husband bought a nice reversible jacket in Ketchikan. We sailed in late August- the 15 day Princess Exotic Explorer cruise tour- so, Ketchikan was late in our trip. We both took coats- I took a raincoat with a zip in lining- I needed it in Deadhorse at the Arctic Ocean and on the ship on Glacier Bay day. You can always make do with layers- t-shirt, shirt, sweatshirt, and jacket, just make sure that all your layers will fit under your waterproof jacket (we were lucky to have very little rain, but you should be prepared).

I agree with what others have said. You will find plenty of fleece and windbreaker/water resistant type jackets in that price range, but they are definitely not "heavy coats". Then again, I don't think heavy coats are necessary. I do have one Alaska fleece zip-up jacket and one Alaska denim shirt that I use in my layering. I never take a heavy coat.

We are from Minnesota and have horrible winters so we have numerous coats to change with the weather. We bought two of the 19.99 coats in Alaska and they are more of a spring early fall jacket. We also brought a heavier coat with to Alaska and when cruising Glacier Bay, really glad we had it. We can handle the cold a bit better than those from the warmer climates, so if you chose a heavy sweashirt than the 19.99 jacket being from Penn you maybe fine. I liked the last choice better because I could unlayer, my hubby on the other hand is always cold so he brought his winter jacket everywhere.:D

Three points -

1) Why do you need a winter coat if you are doing AK in summer? When are you traveling and to where?

2) I figure that a $20 coat is worth what you are paying for it.

3) What if you do really need such a coat and they do not have them - you will be cold for the entire trip.

DON

A great spot to check out jackets and rain gear is the Tongass trading store on the dock in Ketchican. If you head upstairs you get away from the tourist stuff downstairs and can see what the locals/fisherman wear. Prices may not be cheap but they have lots of quality goods.

Years ago I was browsing in the store and came upon my cruise ship Captain looking at a display of inflatable rafts. When I told him that if I saw him boarding the ship with one I wouldn't be sailing back with him he almost fell down laughing :)

**** Ellen:

I saw your post and we are in Wilkes Barre, Ellen. Did you plan a cruise to Alaska? I would love to hear more about it. We are thinking of Royal Caribbean.

Colleen

I talked to a friend who went on an Alaskian cruise two years ago and she told us that they bought beautiful heavy coats right at the port for $19.99!! Has anyone seen these? If this is the case, I may skip packing mine and just buy one when we get there. Can anyone confirm that they've seen this recently?

Thanks

Per the advice of a friend who works on Celebrity cruise ships as an entertainer:

"Be prepared for rain. Not 100% but drizzly kind of rain. I purchased a nice rain jacket in Ketchikan for $20.00. Tongas Traders. Turn left as you leave the ship. You can't miss it."

He calls it a "rain jacket", not a winter coat. I'm not sure if that helps, but thought I'd share it :)

~ Shari

Archived