Mykonos : Need help with DYI

Kharvavad

There's a pay-shuttle bus, about 2 miles. Or if you're lucky, tide & seas will mean the cap'n won't want to risk porting, in which case you'll be tendered straight into the town's harbour - very slick operation by local boats. Everywhere in town is walkable, incl the line of windmills.

JB :)

If we go to Delos in the morning, would that leave us enough time to explore Mykonos in the afternoon?

Sorry, can't help, hopefully someone else can.

Altho' Mykanos town/harbour is great for a lazy day, it can be explored in as little as an hour.

JB :)

We are plannig to do Mykonos ourselves. We need help how to go from Port to Town? Is athere ant transporttation available? Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thank. Hema

goldiemom: Yes' date=' you can visit Delos in the morning and have time to explore Mykonos in the afternoon. Very easy to DIY. [/quote']

Can't answer on the exact port to main town transport question. In June 2006 when there, we were fortunate to be docked fairly close. Not long commute. Much depends on how many ships are in this port when visiting. We were fortunate to be there with only two smaller ships in port on a wonderful Sunday. Not being crowded and over-run with tourist made things nice. Overall, the good news is that it is not a large or massive island/area. Gives you lots of flexibility!! Go for it.

We hung out and walked around the cute and charming village in the morning. Did lunch back on the ship, then got a rental car to explore the various beach and other parts on this island. The rental cost was not high and it gave us lots of flexibility to explore, take a wide variety of pictures, etc. Below are some what I saw, enjoyed, captured, experienced, etc. on this special island. Some have used one of the buses, but for me, the rental car worked well.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 124,372 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

On the opposite side of the Mykonos village on the island, here's a sampling of the beachside activities. This includes Agrari, Elia and the long sweeping Kalafatis beach that has become famous to wind surfers. The second picture is from Elia Beach.:

1A-Myk-Beach1.jpg

1A-Myk-Beach2.jpg

Here are some additional visual samples on the opposite side from the Mykonos village for various beachside activities:

MykBeachWalking.jpg

MykBeachHuts.jpg

Here’s a sampling of the narrow, flowered street in Mykonos in the Greek Isles with its many shops. The streets were made so narrow in order to fend off pirate attackers. It is an island with lots of history and legend dating back thousands of years, including connections to ancient Greek mythology. Ionians settled on Mykonos in the early part of the 11th century BC. As Delos developed as a sacred center, Mykonos was under the influences of the different people, including Phoenicians, Macedonians and Athenians. With the rise of Alexander the Great, the fate of Mykonos became a commercial center for agriculture and maritime trade. Mykonos flourished with enormous wealth during Roman occupation during the reign of Augustus Caesar. During the Middle Ages, Mykonos fell under the Venetians and later were victimized by the Saracens and latter the Turks. Starting in the 1950’s, its unique architecture, seclusion and hospitality have made it a haven for the rich and famous.:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

This harbor view in Mykonos shows one of the charming windmills. From as early as the 16th century, these are one of the most recognized landmarks of Mykonos. The island is 33 square miles in size and has a population of 9,300, mostly in its main village.:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

We are plannig to do Mykonos ourselves. We need help how to go from Port to Town? Is athere ant transporttation available? Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thank.

Hema

First, take a deep breath and relax. This is a situation where things will work out fine if you just go with the flow. Your cruise line might provide a free shuttle bus into town, or there might be a pay shuttle bus. There are also taxis that will take you into town. And finally, you can also walk into town (if you have no mobility problems) as its not all that far (although it would be nice if they built a sidewalk). Also keep in mind that Mykonos is a relatively small very tourist friendly island where just about everyone speaks English.

Hank

What is there to see in Delos

Delos was considered a holy sanctuary during Greek and later Roman times. There are a lot of ruins on the tiny island (and virtually no shade), including ruins of houses (some with mosaics), a theatre, public buildings, cisterns etc. And of course the famous terrace of the lions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:20100706_Terrace_of_the_Lions_Delos_Cyclades_Greece.jpg

There is a small museum on the site that holds some of the finds of the archaeological work that is still going on. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

• 2 weeks later...

Terry & cruise mom

How do you know so much about the areas? :D

Seriously, I know you've both been there, but what I really like is a short historical tour on the island & then some beach time. I'd love some history about the island, but i know having day after day of seeing ruins/old stuff won't cut it with my teens (okay my husband either)

Any ideas?

Hansolosmom, I think you're on the right track. I regret being so driven on my eastern Med cruise last fall to try to see everything. I wore myself out and spent too much time walking around feeling exhausted as I looked at yet another historic must-do.

Maybe choose a couple of stops where the history really interests you, and do the history in-depth thing on those days. For other stops, go for a beach if that's what you and your family would enjoy. Some of the times I enjoyed most were just sitting at a table with a drink, watching Greek life happening.

Another thing I'd do next time is hire a taxi driver for a couple of hours and ask him to show me the highlights. The time we spent with the taxi driver on Crete was wonderful. Knossos was way too crowded for me to appreciate, but the taxi guy on that island showed us lots of other interesting things, and took us for lunch to a little roadside stop. Best meal of the entire trip - all home cooked, fresh, and delicious, for $10 a person. Along the way he told us all about how he and his family pick the olives in the fall, explained why so many Greek men have similar names, told us about the education system, and so on. If we'd asked to go to a beach, I'm sure he'd have arranged that too. And I'm sure you can find an equally helpful driver on other islands too.

So my advice: relax, don't worry too much about missing famous ruins, spend a few bucks on local taxis, find a beach now and then. I loved Greece, both ancient and modern. You can have some of both on your trip.

• 4 weeks later...

We just got off the NCL 12 Day med cruise, we docked at the port, and they had a continuous shuttle bus at the port to take us into town and back. No charge, its 5 minutes by bus. Its about a 30 minute walk. No real shoulders on the road way.

There was a ship that came and tendered folks in, and they got dropped right into the center of town, so I guess where they dock will determine how you get into town. :)

We just got off the NCL 12 Day med cruise, we docked at the port, and they had a continuous shuttle bus at the port to take us into town and back. No charge, its 5 minutes by bus. Its about a 30 minute walk. No real shoulders on the road way.

There was a ship that came and tendered folks in, and they got dropped right into the center of town, so I guess where they dock will determine how you get into town. :)

Was this the Spirit? How did you get back to the ship?

Was this the Spirit? How did you get back to the ship?

They had a continuous bus from the ship to town, and back. There was a line of folks, but we stood in line less then 5 minutes before we were on a bus back to the ship.

Yes on the Spirit, our first time on this ship, as many have said, its a very nice ship. :)

Archived