The 'Cheers' Program has created

canalwen

I really thinkj this program will make drunks out of social drinkers..I have two sets of friends that would really make out on this program..One couple we went to Cancun with to an AI and they started drinking when they finished breakfast..Another couple we used to cruise with got so drunk they could not get out of the bus at the Panama Canal...Dennis

I had to laugh at this. The only thing that makes drunks out of social drinkers is the drinkers themselves. No program is going to make a drunk out of someone who is only a social drinker unless the drinker wants to drink that much. It is called personal responsibility!

Why the let anyone post any kind of opinion on cruise critic that has less than 30 cruises is beyond me! They obviously know nothing about cruising.

I would venture a guess that they mean you are going to see drunk idiots regardless of the cheers program or not. I've seen them on every cruise I can remember. This will be my first 'cheers program' experience. I doubt I will see anymore drunk people then normal. Most other cruise line have had unlimited drink packages for years. So before Carnival introduced this program all the other cruise lines had more drunks then Carnival? Doubtful, I would say about the same.

Why the let anyone post any kind of opinion on cruise critic that has less than 30 cruises is beyond me! They obviously know nothing about cruising.

I'm just wondering, since the OP is blaming the Cheers program for rude behavior, how many cruises had they been on before the Cheers program. Seems like it was a broad statement with little evidence to support it.

Call me a cruise snob, whatever, but I do have lots of experience. People will drink if they want to drink, program or not. I seriously doubt there has been a tremendous upswing in the number of drunk people since Cheers was introduced. I was on the Splendor over Thanksgiving, my fifth Thanksgiving cruise, and I did not witness a change in behaviors from my previous cruises.

I am the same way. If I tried to drink too many beers, not only would I be hammered, but I would be going to the bathroom to do #1 about a hundred times too. That doesn't sound much like a good vacation, don't you think?

This is why the people who drink in the hot tub never seem to leave it.

It is not a lot at all. If you had your first beer at noon and stayed up until midnight. That would be 1 beer every hour and a half. A 5 year old can drink that much and still be safe.

The math just doesn't work...

If you get the Cheers plan and don't come anywhere close to the 15 max, that's still a lot of booze! To break even, you'd have to drink 8 beers or 5 martinis per day. Wow! I couldn't drink that much every single day. Maybe I'm just a lightweight, but that seems like too much.

Just imagine if YOU made a valiant attempt to break even every day!!

(who joins a program, like the cheers program just to break even anyways)

The math just doesn't work...

Really? Because the post I replied to said you would have to drink 8 beers a day to break even. So in a 12 hour span that would be a beer every hour and a half.

If I take 12 (12 hour span) and divide it by 8 (8 total beers) then you get 1.5 hours per beer.

I appear to be a math wiz. True story!

Does anyone know when the Cheers Program will be put onto more ships? I'm sailing on the Imagination in November/Deember on a B2B :D and am definatly thinking about buying it (it would be worth it for me, no question even if I don't try to hit the 15 drink limit). It's not on the ship yet though so I'm just wondering if it will be anytime soon. I'm looking forward to trying it (if it's offered)!! :D

I'm sure you've heard the saying "You don't buy beer. You just rent it.":D

Yes, I have heard that one before (a couple of times), it's SO true, lol!! :D

I'm just wondering, since the OP is blaming the Cheers program for rude behavior, how many cruises had they been on before the Cheers program.

A quick scan of the OPs post history shows approx 6 cruises on CCL and RCCL in the last 6 years. I guess that is not enough cruises for the OP's opinion and/or observations to matter?

Now don't get me wrong as your input and knowledge I've first hand witnessed to be valuable here at CC and I am in the "drunks will be drunks" camp, but you do sound pretty 'elitist' when you assert that someone has to have x number of cruises before their "opinion" matters.

If someone has only been on one cruise, and had a bar tab of 600 bucks, yet didn't fall down even once and managed to tie a tie for formal dinner, would he be allowed to express an opinion on the worth of the Cheers program?

Asking for a friend.

If someone has only been on one cruise, and had a bar tab of 600 bucks, yet didn't fall down even once and managed to tie a tie for formal dinner, would he be allowed to express an opinion on the worth of the Cheers program?

Asking for a friend.

Of course!! What would your 'friends' thoughts be? Haha

Just imagine if YOU made a valiant attempt to break even every day!!

(who joins a program, like the cheers program just to break even anyways)

I think the breaking even concept helps people rationalize the purchase to begin with. Kind a like going to Costco and buying 40 rolls of toilet paper. You're going to use them eventually, and you've saved a couple of bucks versus buying 6 rolls at a time. :D:D

I've yet to try the Cheers program, but plan to on my upcoming cruise on the Breeze in May. Twice now I've indulged in Celebrity's premium alcohol package, and loved it!(and more than broke even on the cost ;))

You're on vacation- cut loose and enjoy! I certainly don't drink at home like I do on a cruise, but I'm not driving anywhere, and life is too short!

Tony

Are all-inclusive resorts truly all-inclusive? If so, for comparison, are many of the resort guests trashed trying to get their money's worth, too? Just curious.

Yes, all inclusives are truly all inclusive. And yes people do get trashed. On our trip to Cancun last year they were all around the bar in the evenings and running up and down the halls all night long.

All marble floors and drunks = no sleep. and these were older adults too!

Really? Because the post I replied to said you would have to drink 8 beers a day to break even. So in a 12 hour span that would be a beer every hour and a half.

If I take 12 (12 hour span) and divide it by 8 (8 total beers) then you get 1.5 hours per beer.

I appear to be a math wiz. True story!

My bad... I took it as hitting the max of 15.

a large number of sloppy drunks in the main dining rooms. We just came back from a cruise on the Victory. It was a spring break and I expected lots of college kids drinking and carrying on. What surprised me the most was the number of non college age people who had purchased the Cheers program and came into the dining room night after night all drunk and loud and basically just obnoxious. These were not students. One evening there were two couples, one of the ladies was obviously drunk and being so obnoxious, the table next to them asked to move. That same night, not far from the 4some, there was a couple I would say at least in their late 40s, the woman could not even walk without tripping over her own feet. They both were very loud, so loud that everyone in earshot knew that they were 'on their 10th drinks thanks to the Cheers program'. This was the first night of the cruise at about 6:00pm. Even the wait staff was a bit disgusted by the behaviour of these groups. Kind of sad, that you have to drink that much to have a good time. Wonder how the dining room staff feels now that they have to deal with all of that intoxication. I feel bad for them.

Oaky? Let's blame the system....forget all about the fact these are adults that willingly consume, we should just blame the program :rolleyes:. Perahps people need to be held responsible for themselves instead of casting blame on the system.

Since my first cruise, 25+ years ago, I've marveled at the people that I would see at a bar first thing in the morning, all through the day and well into the evening. Every day. Same people. I can't even imagine the bar tab, and used to wonder how it would ever fit into an envelope.

I've seen (and been seated with) obnoxious drunks, well before any drink packages were available.

Yes, some people will go a little crazy, especially the first day, if they have the drink package - all those lovely drinks just there for the taking! However, I would suspect that after that first morning waking up with a wicked hangover, the usually moderate drinkers are very likely to come back to their senses and revert to moderation. The drunks will still be drunks, as someone pointed out.

I will not be buying the package on our upcoming cruise, since it's very port intensive, with early morning excursions.

However, on sea days, I have no doubt that I could easily "get my money's worth", even though I'm a light drinker normally. As a previous poster said, a Bloody Mary (or Mimosa, or Bailey's to put in the coffee) with breakfast, wine or beer with lunch, a couple of froo-froo drinks in the afternoon, wine with dinner, an after-dinner drink, maybe a nightcap....over the course of a day, it's not all that much. I wouldn't even be tipsy, for heaven's sake.

I'm just wondering, since the OP is blaming the Cheers program for rude behavior, how many cruises had they been on before the Cheers program. Seems like it was a broad statement with little evidence to support it.

Call me a cruise snob, whatever, but I do have lots of experience. People will drink if they want to drink, program or not. I seriously doubt there has been a tremendous upswing in the number of drunk people since Cheers was introduced. I was on the Splendor over Thanksgiving, my fifth Thanksgiving cruise, and I did not witness a change in behaviors from my previous cruises.

Yea you are a cruise snob. The OP has been on 6 cruises. I think that is plenty to form an opinion on the subject. I agree people will get drunk, drink program or not, but I would think it will increase the number of drunk towards days end or dinner time. Maybe not by a lot but a few anyway. It's nice to get your expert opinion but I wouldn't insult someone for their opinion even with 1 cruise.

How do you know they were on the cheers program? Did they have a big C on their forehead or did you assume they were. No drunk person has ever effected my cruise. Just relax and enjoy the cruise.

Awesome point!!!!!!

So that means the drunks who snuck on their alcohol had a big S for “sneak” on their forehead?

Was this your first cruise? As far as I have seen the amount of “drunken” people were the same before the program… there is always one on every ship. I also agree, that drunks will be drunks.

Am i allowed to post I have been on over 30 cruises..

I guess I am a total drunk because i go with large groups on cruises and we get open bar.

We say 15 drinks is a lot and people are going to Drink their 15 drinks to get their $$$ worth

I think by looking at peoples plates in the Buffet it looks like people are piling up their cruise fares worth in food. Now with that do we limit food because people over eat on a cruise because its all free. and they want their monies worth ..Eating excessive amouts of food can also lead to health problems.

OK back to drinking

Stay low

Archived