The 'Cheers' Program has created

canalwen

As do I. Two tall glasses of wine and I am "very tipsy". Wouldn't feel safe driving after 2 glasses for sure.

And I am 205lb 40ish year old male.

I am the same way. If I tried to drink too many beers, not only would I be hammered, but I would be going to the bathroom to do #1 about a hundred times too. That doesn't sound much like a good vacation, don't you think?

I to have come across many drunks in the dining room and this was before the Cheers program. I am still debating on whether to get it or not for my July cruise. DW doesn't drink as much anymore so it might not be worth it.

i no i am still not sure if im going to get it too....but i have brought the bucket of beers before and that was at least 40 dollars.a bucket...on six beers in them.......a day at sea.........i can do two:eek:

I am the same way. If I tried to drink too many beers, not only would I be hammered, but I would be going to the bathroom to do #1 about a hundred times too. That doesn't sound much like a good vacation, don't you think?

I'm sure you've heard the saying "You don't buy beer. You just rent it.":D

Oh I'm sure whoever buys the cheers program will make sure they get their 15 drinks or close to it. I would be surprised if you did NOT see more drunk people at dinner.

Let's not forget they can shut anyone off they want regardless of the number of drinks you've consumed. We have never noticed more drunks on the three cruises I've been on where they had the drink package although none were Carnival ships. I don't think it much matters though, as others have said, drunks will be drunks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not true, we plan on buying the Cheer's program and I have no interest in hitting the magic number of 15. I do plan on enjoying myself and I figure we will probably break even on it, the advantage is knowing ahead of time exactly what the tab is.

My feelings exactly! My husband and I just took a cruise in February, that did not offer the Cheers program. Neither of us were ever embarassingly drunk (or even close). I looked at the bar charges on that cruise, and determined that this program would work for us. I do not plan on ever hitting the 15 drink per day mark.

BS. You can still get drinks. You wil be charged for them at that point.

No, actually, it is not BS. Someone who just got off of the Victory posted recently that when they purchased the Cheers program, they were told up front that if they hit the 15 drink limit, they would be cut off. If you do a search for "victory cheers" you should probably be able to find it. I have read several times that different ships are using different rules.

BS. You can still get drinks. You wil be charged for them at that point.

No, actually, it is not BS. Someone who just got off of the Victory posted recently that when they purchased the Cheers program, they were told up front that if they hit the 15 drink limit, they would be cut off. If you do a search for "victory cheers" you should probably be able to find it. I have read several times that different ships are using different rules.

Check out post #184 on "The definitive Cheers program Thread"

No Cheers program on the Destiny in January and plenty of wasted people. Twice in 5 days I saw bartenders refuse to serve. It was ugly. Drunks are drunks.

On the other hand there's an old saying - "I didn't know he drank till I saw him sober"

a large number of sloppy drunks in the main dining rooms. We just came back from a cruise on the Victory. It was a spring break and I expected lots of college kids drinking and carrying on. What surprised me the most was the number of non college age people who had purchased the Cheers program and came into the dining room night after night all drunk and loud and basically just obnoxious. These were not students. One evening there were two couples, one of the ladies was obviously drunk and being so obnoxious, the table next to them asked to move. That same night, not far from the 4some, there was a couple I would say at least in their late 40s, the woman could not even walk without tripping over her own feet. They both were very loud, so loud that everyone in earshot knew that they were 'on their 10th drinks thanks to the Cheers program'. This was the first night of the cruise at about 6:00pm. Even the wait staff was a bit disgusted by the behaviour of these groups. Kind of sad, that you have to drink that much to have a good time. Wonder how the dining room staff feels now that they have to deal with all of that intoxication. I feel bad for them.

Wow. And we were thinking about doing the program for our next cruise. We aren't "drankers" but I think it might be nice to not have to worry about trying to do the math and keep a tab (pardon the pun) on every drink me and the hubby purchase. Sad that some people can't act like adults while enjoying alcoholic beverages. We did see a few people that were def inebriated on our last cruise but nobody that was too overly obnoxious. Mostly folks just letting loose and having a good time, which I see nothing wrong with.

Not true, we plan on buying the Cheer's program and I have no interest in hitting the magic number of 15. I do plan on enjoying myself and I figure we will probably break even on it, the advantage is knowing ahead of time exactly what the tab is.

For me, the advantage of it is being able to try unfamiliar drinks and not having to feel bad if I hate it. And we saw drunk people on our cruise as well as on every cruise we have ever been on on other lines as well with no drink programs. The WORST by far was on Princess. It's just human nature...some people are idiots whether on land or at sea.

I found this thread very informative. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1792047

For me, the advantage of it is being able to try unfamiliar drinks and not having to feel bad if I hate it.

That's exactly why I'm thinking of signing up for it. I like to try new things, but I hate taking two sips, disliking it and I'm out $10. That's also why I like buffets. If I can treat myself up front, and avoid the "should I spend $10 on the drink or not" debate I have every time I order on the ship, I think I would end up having a more fun and relaxed experience. Of course, for the same price, I could get a couple massages in the Spa. What to chose?

WOW! So many opinions from so many that have cruised so little.:confused:

It doesn't take much to become an "expert" for some people. :rolleyes:

I have cruises # 30. 31 and 32 already booked, so I guess I'm somewhat experienced. I also have had a similar cruise card twice (on Carnival) with unlimited drinks for $55 a day. In each situation, I tabulated the costs of the "free" drinks to what I would normally spend. And on Seadream (formerly the Seabourn Sea Goddesses), we were given two free liters of booze in our cabin and all alcohol and wine was all-inclusive. I don't remember any drunks from that cruise, though.

What I like about the card is, of course, the "cool factor" in having it and the opportunity to try lots of new drinks which I wouldn't normally pay $9 or $10 for....things like the Tiramisu martini, the Chipotle martini and various other concoctions. And, of course, not having to try to keep track of how much I've had to drink.

I think this forum has provided a gleefully-exciting opportunity for non-drinkers to get on their soapboxes and preach about the "evils" of drinking. There tends to be a lot of exaggeration when evangelists are proselytizing. There is also a tendency for some people, when seeing someone having fun, to automatically assume they're drunk. Especially for people with little or no sense of humor.

Each time I've had the card, I've been part of a group of 60 to 75 people and their behavior has been no different from the times we didn't have the card.

For the record, I am myself a drinker and I am older than petrified pterodactyl poop and I have found that as I get older I probably drink quite a bit more than I did when I had the responsibilities of a career and of raising three sons. And by some fluke of nature, I haven't had a hangover or a headache of any kind in about 40 years. :cool:

This new card is going to be on all the ships, and it's too early to make sweeping generalizations and express judgmental biases. Lighten up and let's see which way it actually goes, based on silly things like statistics and junk like that. :)

Sorry for the BS comment but in typical Carnival fashion, the rules seem to be spotty and poorly interpreted even by their own crew. It says you wont get more on the program but my friend was able to buy them last month after hitting the 15 limit. So he says anyway. I will check with his wife for verification.

Seems stupid to cut someone off and lose money even if the person is not staggering drunk. This dude can hit 15 in a day no problem and be civilized. Makes no sense to cup folks off regardless at 15. I believe him. I knew 15 would be reached by him no problems. He said he had to purchase them on his S&S card after the 15 was reached.

I used the following estimate to decide that it would pay off for me:

1 bloody mary in the morning - $8.95

2 glasses of Moscato at dinner - $15.00 (2 X $7.50)

1 after dinner drink - $5.50 - $6.50

4 beers during the day - $23.00 (4 X $5.75)

This is already more that $49.40, and it didn't even include the 15% tips.

I'm SURE I will drink at least that much!

I totally agree with this type of reasoning. You don't need to over drink to reach the $45-$50 limit in a day. I too would purchase the plan if my DH didn't have to purchase it (21 years sober and we're both proud of it). I do understand the reasoning for all adults in the cabin to purchase the plan, unfortunately it's not the right answer for us.

How do you know they were on the cheers program? Did they have a big C on their forehead or did you assume they were. No drunk person has ever effected my cruise. Just relax and enjoy the cruise.

I was about to ask the same question. How do you know they were all on the Cheers program? :confused:

Archived