What? No maple syrup on HAL?

Gamelan1971

Hi

Also a New Englander. Do any of you have any of those white medicine bottles. The ones that screw on. I fill them with different liquids. Fill them with the maple syrup and bring one or two to your breakfast. they Also will not bust. I seal them with buck tape and wrap a few times in plastic bages. Them throw the bottles away.

Mary

I also will not do pancakes and waffles without real maple syrup. I find that this provides me with one food temptation I avoid. It is so hard not to gain weight on a cruise so I have always not been tempted with the waffles. It never occurred to me to bring my own syrup.

We always have the real stuff at home, and I never considered taking it with me. I wish I had not read this listing.

Even though I now live in the land of the pancake syrup, I grew up in New Hampshire and can not waste good waffles with that "syrup."

What a wonderful thread. Growing up in Central NY maple syrup, whether from NY or VT was a given. But as an adult... how a bit of southern comfort in the Northern Comfort, warmed gently and poured over any ice cream with nuts in it--well maybe not pistachio LOL

It looks like MapleFest is on for 2013! I'm going to pack 1 litre of real maple syrup for our Fords,Ireland and Ireland cruise and if Erin__Cruisers has any left I may get lucky and get a taste. In any event it's breakfast in the Lido at our table. Pour it on!

Pics may follow....................

Hi

I won't pack a liter, but will probably bring 1/2. I bottled most of mine in Grolsch bottles. They are very tough and pack well. I also take several bottles on my business trips and give it to clients. :)

Yes we will have to have a "taste off" on our upcoming cruise. :p

Hi

I won't pack a liter, but will probably bring 1/2. I bottled most of mine in Grolsch bottles. They are very tough and pack well. I also take several bottles on my business trips and give it to clients. :)

Yes we will have to have a "taste off" on our upcoming cruise. :p

Fantastic that you will still have some to try! The smallest that we bottle is 1 litre plastic bottles except for a few glass bottles for small gifts to friends. I'd rather not risk a glass bottle so 1 litre it is. Besides I always have a few extra pounds in my luggage to spare so it is a lost litre-no pun intended!

We'll have the tastiest table in the Lido for breakfast hands down!

I honestly don't like real maple syrup BUT my husband has troubles with HFCS and only uses real maple syrup. He usually just avoids pancakes, waffles and French Toast on cruises and in restaurants that don't offer the real thing. On some cruises I've asked about HFCS but never did get a satisfactory answer. He is not truly allergic but has stomach irritations when he eats HFCS.

What a fun thread. I'm glad to know that there are other maple syrup aficionados out there. Growing up in central NY maple syrup was just a given on your pancakes, waffles, and french toast. I was taken by surprise when having to ask for it while in VT as some diners there switched to the fake stuff :eek: I was pleased to find Canadian maple syrup from Beauce, Quebec here in Dubai bottled in Canada for the British grocer Waitrose. It is not cheap ($12 for 330 grams or 11.6 oz) but worth every dollar...or dirham!

Thank you for bringing this up. It's high time the real maple syrup lovers came out of the closet! I've cruised HAL, NCL, Celebrity and RCL and never found a drop of the real stuff on-board.

I thought I was the only one who felt strongly about this. I feel silly pulling out my private stash at breakfast, but I would rather skip the waffles and pancakes than use the fake stuff.

My wife thinks I'm crazy but she reluctantly keeps my bottle in her purse during our cruises.

Don't feel silly...We had the pure maple syrup on the Prinsendam, but since the other ships don't have it, looks like I'll have to bring my own from home..Someone said that the Pure Syrup keeps better in glass & never realized that it should not keep it in plastic..

For our next cruise, guess I'll just go to the drug store & buy a small glass medicine bottle to put the "100% Pure Dark Amber" in..:D

We're thinking about another cruise, possibly in the fall, so have placed a "note to self" in my Cruise planning folder to purchase a glass for the "pure syrup"..

Cheers...:)Betty

Archived