What? No maple syrup on HAL?

Gamelan1971

Thanks for all the interesting info and pics. And the reminder - our son sent us some goodies from Minneapolis for Christmas including a bottle of maple syrup. I keep forgetting I have it. So we had maple syrup on our waffles for breakfast this morning. Yummy. We may be hooked now - much better than the fake stuff.

yes, i agree; forget 'fake.' now that i'm hitting 70, my philosophy is 'no more fake.' go for the real thing, baby. and if that starts with maple syrup, well, so be it. :) should have learned that lesson a long time ago. you know, this was one of the most 'enriching' and delicious threads i've encountered on cc. no one hates or derides maple syrup; maybe we all need a good stiff dose of 'northern comfort.' starting with myself, eh?

:D

Great thread! Now I'm longing for a maple syrup lollipop!

Just for the record, we keep two bottles in the refrigerator. One is real maple (now we buy it at Sam's). But we keep the other and put both on the tables when there are others (including our children) here for breakfast. Why waste the good stuff if they don't seem to know the difference?

We don't order pancakes on HAL because they make them far too heavy. The french toast isn't bad with the syrup (the cinnamon helps) and if I get waffles, I'd add butter and some blueberries.

Agree that children don't need to know about maple syrup. We made the mistake of giving ours lobster and blue crabs at an early age and that was the end of ordering from the kiddie menu at restaurants! Best they don't now about these.

Wonderful thread.....

Thanks so much to all you generous folks who contributed the fabulous photos and information. Been wonderful reading. :)

Erin...... those bottles are great!

Sammygoose...... Such hard work!

Thanks all of you.

Thanks everyone for the great stories! A nice way to end the work day.

Loved seeing the pictures of the maple sugaring process- we'd go every year when I was a kid to a family camp and participate in tapping the trees and making the syrup. Great fun!

Now if only HAL got an idea from this thread that passengers wanted maple syrup... :)

I live just up the road from Erin. We were sugaring off this weekend. We put it in cans so it is easy to travel....just saying!!;)

Plenty is sold in plastic jugs now too. Lots of "portabe" options.

For the record, though, we never put maple syrup on French Toast...only icing sugar! Yum, Yum.

Thanks everyone for the great stories! A nice way to end the work day.

Loved seeing the pictures of the maple sugaring process- we'd go every year when I was a kid to a family camp and participate in tapping the trees and making the syrup. Great fun!

Now if only HAL got an idea from this thread that passengers wanted maple syrup...

Maybe they are reading these boards, and will take note. ;)

To the OP & others - thanks! Apart from cruising, its my only other hobby, so happy to talk about it. :)

I live just up the road from Erin.

No kidding - you don't say?

We were sugaring off this weekend. We put it in cans so it is easy to travel....just saying!!;)

For the record, though, we never put maple syrup on French Toast...only icing sugar! Yum, Yum.

I can't make waffles or pancakes to save my life :p but I can make French Toast, so thats the only thing I put Maple Syrup on.

However my DW does use it in a lot of recipes - ie - as a glaze on ham, or on BBQ ribs, or in stir-frys, etc..

OP sorry for the off-topic.

To erin_cruisers: we live in Orangeville. Hubby is an member of the Optimists International and the Maple Syrup Festival was this past weekend. 2012 was such a bad year that this year was booming!

I can't make waffles or pancakes to save my life :p but I can make French Toast, so thats the only thing I put Maple Syrup on.

Try a little drizzle on scrambled eggs, or bacon. Or both :D.

I always scramble up the leftover French Toast batter, and found the maple syrup on my plate blended up with it nicely. Same with the bacon when the maple syrup floated over to that side of the plate.

I haven't yet figured out what to have for supper tonight, but French Toast and Canadian bacon is starting to sound real good right about now.

I just wish I could still eat the real maple syrup. :(

I live just up the road from Erin. We were sugaring off this weekend. We put it in cans so it is easy to travel....just saying!!;)

What is 'icing sugar'?

I don't think I've heard of that. :o

erin_cruisers and sammygoose I can smell the sap boiling now!! Yum yum! Thank goodness this is a better year for maple syrup.

Sammygoose I am fairly close to you in Stittsville. I am in Lanark quite often selling homes! I know some of the operations are very large in your area. We are fortunate enough to be able to buy it in local stores :)

For those who wonder why it isn't on cruise ships (I have NEVER seen the real thing on any cruise ship or line that I have been on - the Prinsendam would be the exception I bet). The cost of real maple syrup is very high. Of course that is the only thing we use as we love the stuff and like to support local business. At the grocery store it is about $10 for a 540ml can (think a large can of beans) and in the can it is the cheapest way to buy it. It does not last very long when it is sitting in the open. It is not a ideal product for large quantity food service. The individual bottles that folks would have seen on the Prinsendam would probably cost about $3 or $4 a bottle. No way the bean counters would allow that!

I better go out now and smell that sap boiling....yummmmmm....

What is 'icing sugar'?

Icing sugar is a fine sugar - used in baking - usually frostings, certain confections, whatever.

I can't do without it in my house - it seems to be involved in a lot of my desserts when i am cooking or preparing for company:)

It's also delicious sprinkled over French Toast and other such things. Not like regular sugar at all:)

Icing sugar is a fine sugar - used in baking - usually frostings, certain confections, whatever.

I can't do without it in my house - it seems to be involved in a lot of my desserts when i am cooking or preparing for company:)

It's also delicious sprinkled over French Toast and other such things. Not like regular sugar at all:)

Often called powdered sugar. I keep a shaker of it handy for last-minute additions to desserts like pies.

They always seem to have real Maple Syrup and some decent Jellies on the Prinsendam. They are available in small personal glass jars and we once saw a lady hoarding the things. When I smiled she said that they were going to on another HA soon....and needed to stock up :). Maybe she knew something.

Hank

Often called powdered sugar. I keep a shaker of it handy for last-minute additions to desserts like pies.

ahhh - the difference in the countries Kathy - here it's icing sugar - there it's powdered sugar (would never find it here by that name;)). Glad you posted that as now it's clearer for everyone from both sides of the border:)

They always seem to have real Maple Syrup and some decent Jellies on the Prinsendam. They are available in small personal glass jars and we once saw a lady hoarding the things. When I smiled she said that they were going to on another HA soon....and needed to stock up :). Maybe she knew something.

Hank

We had both on our Prinsendam cruise as well. :D Sometimes you get what you pay for:D yes, she costs more but we have no need to bring food stuffs on board to satisfy any cravings:D

1of4 ~ Thanks. 20 mins away. ;) Well if you find yourself passing thru, and see and smell the tell-tale signs of a boil happening, follow it to our place.

RuthC ~ Good ideas. And its also popular here to use it as a topping on a dish of ice cream. Yummy!

Kazu ~ I call it icing sugar too. I'm not a baker, (the only thing I bake are butter tarts & Tourtiere), however I can't eat a grapefruit half without sprinkling a little icing sugar on top (otherwise I make weird faces) :p

Hank ~ Re: Hoarding the maple syrup - well you can't blame the lady. L:DL

I hope someone else starts a new thread on another delicious topic - Whether or not HAL has Clamato juice onboard to make Bloody Caesars. :)

1of4 ~ Thanks. 20 mins away. ;) Well if you find yourself passing thru, and see and smell the tell-tale signs of a boil happening, follow it to our place.

RuthC ~ Good ideas. And its also popular here to use it as a topping on a dish of ice cream. Yummy!

Kazu ~ I call it icing sugar too. I'm not a baker, (the only thing I bake are butter tarts & Tourtiere), however I can't eat a grapefruit half without sprinkling a little icing sugar on top (otherwise I make weird faces) :p

Hank ~ Re: Hoarding the maple syrup - well you can't blame the lady. L:DL

I hope someone else starts a new thread on another delicious topic - Whether or not HAL has Clamato juice onboard to make Bloody Caesars. :)

oh DON'T even get me started on decent clamato juice - that really does vary from ship to ship. The only ones I found with the really good spicey clamato juice so far have been the old Rotterdam and the Prinsendam

Many ships have the bland clamato juice - but not all. I hate it when they tell me yes and basically bring me a bloody mary - if I wanted a bloody mary I would have ordered it - I like my caesar

Ah, it's a 'language' thing.

I suspected you meant what we call 'superfine' sugar which is very finely granulated for fine baking such as in meringues etc

It's powdered sugar. We just speak a different language up here.:)

We call that 'Confectioner's Sugar'. :D

Thanks both of you.

I'm actually a fairly good baker and that is why I wondered why I would not have heard of 'icing sugar'. Now I know. ;)

Hank

We've had many a small jar of jams and jellies in Pinnacle at breakfast on various ships. I always 'take it for granted' as it has always seemed to be available though I use little of it.

What is 'icing sugar'?

Its the stuff you make cake frosting with. ;)

Edited to add: I see a few have answered already :D

The United States and Great Britain are two countries separated by a common language.

Archived