Mega Food

Foncai

I am watching a great documentary on Nat Geo about Mega food - featuring the Oasis. Its very interesting!! All behind the scenes in food prep and meal service.

Their systems and processes are incredible, and food safety standards impressive.

Things I have learnt so far that stood out ( and for those who lurk and read all the threads like me, then you'll get my drift.)

Their automatic lettuce chopper beats my V Slicer hands down!

100,000 tonnes of food a week - oh yeah that's 16kgs each in 7 days - or 35lbs where you're from - USE THE STAIRS !

The burgers for Johnny's and MDR come out of the same machine - the guy was standing there making all the orders for the day.

The lobsters are frozen, slowly defrosted - then a crew of kitchen staff gather in the butchers room and 'snap the tails' etc and get them ready for ' the biggest' night on the ship - Lobster night.

All in all, very impressive systems that go on behind the scenes; I always appreciate them and it is great to see the work that goes in whilst we are busy sipping cocktails. :D

Ok, thats all from me - happy cruising

I am watching a great documentary on Nat Geo about Mega food - featuring the Oasis. Its very interesting!! All behind the scenes in food prep and meal service.

Their systems and processes are incredible, and food safety standards impressive.

Things I have learnt so far that stood out ( and for those who lurk and read all the threads like me, then you'll get my drift.)

Their automatic lettuce chopper beats my V Slicer hands down!

100,000 tonnes of food a week - oh yeah that's 16kgs each in 7 days - or 35lbs where you're from - USE THE STAIRS !

The burgers for Johnny's and MDR come out of the same machine - the guy was standing there making all the orders for the day.

The lobsters are frozen, slowly defrosted - then a crew of kitchen staff gather in the butchers room and 'snap the tails' etc and get them ready for ' the biggest' night on the ship - Lobster night.

All in all, very impressive systems that go on behind the scenes; I always appreciate them and it is great to see the work that goes in whilst we are busy sipping cocktails. :D

Ok, thats all from me - happy cruising

We were on Voyager of the Seas from Sydney last month. No lobster on formal nights at all (available for about $35 every night).

Closest we got were some very, very large prawns at a party on deck.

Otherwise the food was very good.

Shows like that are always amazing to see. This will sound weird but I have always wanted to see the dishwashing operation on one of these ships! I managed a lodge in Colorado that was 32 rooms and we served breakfast and dinner each day. Just taking the amount of dishes we had to clean each service and the very precise temperatures, times etc. required to clean and disinfect I can not even imagine what the ships operation looks like. Like I said, weird, but that's what I would choose for my behind the scenes look hahaha:rolleyes:.

I think you have your units are off there. 100,000 tonnes (metric) would be 100,000,000 kg or 220,000,000 lbs of food per week. At maximum lifeboat capacity there are 8500 total people on the ship (passengers + crew). That would equate to 1680 kg or 3697 lbs of food per person per day. I know some people eat a lot at the Windjammer, but not quite that much!

Shows like that are always amazing to see. This will sound weird but I have always wanted to see the dishwashing operation on one of these ships! I managed a lodge in Colorado that was 32 rooms and we served breakfast and dinner each day. Just taking the amount of dishes we had to clean each service and the very precise temperatures, times etc. required to clean and disinfect I can not even imagine what the ships operation looks like. Like I said, weird, but that's what I would choose for my behind the scenes look hahaha:rolleyes:.

I would also like to see that. Being in operations myself, I'd really just like to see how everything is interconnected; I feel like we only see about 10% of it from shows like this and the "Mighty Ships" documentaries as well. Heck, I'd like to see how those little bits of parsley accents make it from the ships storage to the plate :).

I think you have your units are off there. 100,000 tonnes (metric) would be 100,000,000 kg or 220,000,000 lbs of food per week. At maximum lifeboat capacity there are 8500 total people on the ship (passengers + crew). That would equate to 1680 kg or 3697 lbs of food per person per day. I know some people eat a lot at the Windjammer, but not quite that much!

Glad I hit reload before replying, I was going to say the same thing. According to wikipedia, there are 6,296 maximum passengers and 2,394 crew members as of July 2012. That adds up to 8,690. If it was 100,000 kg, that would be down to 1.64 kg of food per person per day, or 3.62 pounds. That sounds reasonable. Maybe a little much, but definitely could be in the ballpark.

I would also like to see that. Being in operations myself, I'd really just like to see how everything is interconnected; I feel like we only see about 10% of it from shows like this and the "Mighty Ships" documentaries as well. Heck, I'd like to see how those little bits of parsley accents make it from the ships storage to the plate :).

Glad you understand me Bob! Hahaha, that is exactly how my mind works because of knowing the behind the scenes and what it took to run a kitchen, bar, lodge that in scale is literally insignificant to what is going on onboard. I literally can't even picture how they do what they do:eek:. It would probably amaze most people if they did a show that tracked one plate or one fork for a week to see how it travels around the ship. Nice to know I'm not the only crazy one out there, Jim

Got to go on a galley tour on Monarch once. As we were going through the kitchen we passed a gray plastic trash can full of broken dishes [i have a picture somewhere]. Someone asked the chef who was acting as our tour guide how many days it took to fill the can and he said that was breakfast. Some idea of the magnitude of the operation -- even on a smaller ship.

Ditto! If you ever get the opportunity to go to a galley tour...doit!

My favorite part was the dough proofing room....I could've stayed in there the whole time it smelled soooo divine! Learned that they proof the dough in the A.M. then bake in the early P.M. for the first seating, then bake for second seating during first seating so all the rolls are fresh every day. Ha! Someone on here once said, they thought all the baked goods were frozen...NOT! Eyes do not lie! They were kneading and proofing the cinnamon rolls when I was there....mmmmmmmm:D

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u62t0lND_Vs

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXVADZOvxac

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMTLqEWO9Jc

Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsm1gV3BAsQ

Be sure and get through the first couple minutes of Japanese commercials before the actual footage

Thank you for posting those links. It is definitely fascinating to see how all of those meals come together.

Paul

Ditto! If you ever get the opportunity to go to a galley tour...doit!

My favorite part was the dough proofing room....I could've stayed in there the whole time it smelled soooo divine! Learned that they proof the dough in the A.M. then bake in the early P.M. for the first seating, then bake for second seating during first seating so all the rolls are fresh every day. Ha! Someone on here once said, they thought all the baked goods were frozen...NOT! Eyes do not lie! They were kneading and proofing the cinnamon rolls when I was there....mmmmmmmm:D

Then why are they so hard? ;)

It comes on again this Saturday Sunday and Monday on the Nat Geo channel. I am definately going to PVR it!! :)

I just searched, but couldn't find it. I did it by looking through the channel guide through early Sun am and by searching by name "Mega food". Neither came up with anything. Are you sure it's running again? Or does it have a different name?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey all :)

The episode 'The World's Biggest Cruise Ship' will be replayed in November in Australia, on the Nat Geo Adventure channel.

Below is a link to the series, which will have times.

http://natgeotv.com.au/tv/mega-food/episodes.aspx?series=1

Ive been searching for this doco too, as it sounds rather interesting. I guess I'll have to wait until early November to view it. Lets hope I don't forget about it.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful :(

Liliny :)

Archived