So why do you like/not like about the food?

jinxyoz

Really? They must have done away with both of them - I had eggs benedict every day on our last NCL cruise 2 years ago. I thought the buffet was excellent - so much variety!

I have had eggs benedict on NCL but it was on the menu at the MDR, not the buffet. Also, it was not on the menu every day.

Yuk sand in the lobster :eek: Too bad it was not Maine lobster. Maine lobster does not have sand in it.

I have never even heard of sand in Lobster , clams yes... Must not have been a Maine or New England Lobster Love those cold water bad boys. mmmmm

I will need to find these pretzel rolls I hear people posting about. I have done two NCL cruises and never saw or had these rolls. Though the first cruise I never went into the buffet except during the chocolate buffet.

Second cruise I think we did more dining in the MDR and Blue Lagoon and at that time the Tex Mex.

We just got off the Gem on Tuesday and I had my fill of the pretzel rolls. They are in the buffet. There were two types, a soft pretzel stick and the pretzel roll. I did not care for the soft pretzel stick but the pretzel rolls were really good. You can not just eat one. Don't forget to take some zip lock bags with you to take some Pretzel rolls back to your room for a snack later or to take with you when you leave the ship on port days.

Celebrity has a great pizza stand in its buffet as well as great eggs benedict for breakfast. NCL doesn't have either.

I had good pizza on the Jewel buffet in November....they had at least 2 selections every day...

Reading numerous reviews and comments about the quality of the food onboard the NCL ships.

So what is it you like or don't like about the food?

I am going on my first ever cruise in July and have no expectations. I am lucky to live in a country where I believe the quality of food is probably the best in the world. So as someone who travels a lot, I go in with no expectations whatsoever and if I have a great meal...terrific...if not...oh well.

Personally I feel the food in America is pretty bad for tourists. Cheap yes, good quality...no. Yes I'll probably got a serve for making that comment on a board with 95% Americans, but I notice a lot of the comments about the food being bad comes from American customers. So what are you comparing it to? Home cooked meals? Fast food? Vegas buffets?

Would love to hear the good and bad of the food choices on board as well as exactly what people are offered at the buffets etc.

I am like you...I go with no expectations. I'm not cruising for the food and I don't consider myself a 'foodie.' I've had a few pieces of steak that were tough and a few pieces of chicken or fish that were a little dry. But, does it define or ruin my cruise? Absolutely not.

I've cruised NCL, Disney and Royal Caribbean. I'd have to say that the food on Disney was exceptional (what you'd expect from the Disney company). I'd have to say that the food in the MDR on Royal Caribbean was slightly better than I've had in the MDR on NCL. But just slightly. A cruise is what you make of it and I refuse to let food that's just 'ok' define my vacation.

We just got off the Gem on Tuesday and I had my fill of the pretzel rolls. They are in the buffet. There were two types, a soft pretzel stick and the pretzel roll. I did not care for the soft pretzel stick but the pretzel rolls were really good. You can not just eat one. Don't forget to take some zip lock bags with you to take some Pretzel rolls back to your room for a snack later or to take with you when you leave the ship on port days.

Could not agree more!!! Just off the epic today and ate 2 with salad every day for lunch, phenominal. Also loved the action salad station which varied each day. I couldn't get my fill of chocololate croissants at breakfast. I loved the spring roll appetizer at dinner had it 3 times. Loved, loved, loved the bread pudding, which was more like a layered mix of flan and bread pudding, had it often it was so good. I found the food to be much better than I was expecting. Agree that it is not 5 star foo foo, but very tasty.

I have had eggs benedict on NCL but it was on the menu at the MDR, not the buffet. Also, it was not on the menu every day.

Eggs Benedict on buffet on Pride of America in February.Great breakfast buffet on POA. Tried Chevy's once and MDR for breakfast but buffet always better quality.

Yuk sand in the lobster :eek: Too bad it was not Maine lobster. Maine lobster does not have sand in it.

Surprised to see reference to sand in lobster.

Did you know that Maine lobster is really Nova Scotia lobster on vacation!!!

Celebrity has a great pizza stand in its buffet as well as great eggs benedict for breakfast. NCL doesn't have either.

I just got off the Star yesterday and apparently they didn't get the memo as they had both on the buffet, daily.

bland boring, often not hot just warm. Eat at MDR most often with a treat at pay one or two each trip. Buffet at the poolside is almost always the best lunch.

I compare it on the best days Ruby Tuesday's or Applebees. Most days Bob's Big Boy or Ponderosa level.

The best days are pretty rare I find.

I just got off the Star yesterday and apparently they didn't get the memo as they had both on the buffet, daily.

And even if not on the MDR breakfast menu they will fix eggs Benedict, for you if requested.

Food is so subjective that you really need to experience it for yourself. I can never understand when someone says the food was horrible. Did they really hate everything they ate or in fact did they try everything on the menu to make that decision.

For the most part on all of my NCL excursions the food was really good. There were some things I did not like but that is just me. For instance, we all went to Teppanyaki and I really did not like it at all. That is just my opinion

Either way you will find things you like and things you don't.

I've enjoyed reading all of your comments. I've cruised on 2 NCL cruises previously and am booked on another in November. The first cruise was in 2009 on The Spirit and I hate to say I thought the food on the buffet and the MDR was awful. But I still enjoyed the cruise. When we booked a cruise on The Star in 2012. I was pleasantly surprised to find the food in the MDR and on the buffet much improved. I only tried a couple of desserts other than ice cream. The ice cream in the MDR (especially the coconut) was very good. My steaks were always cooked as ordered and were tender, loved the prime rib, the fish..all very good. Not 5 star but I was pleased. Pleased enough to try the Jewel this year.

Hey, the fact that I don't have to cook, serve and wash dishes for the duration of the cruise, is all I need.

Agreed!! :) However, that being said, I agree with whoever said it's much better than and AI deals out there. Talk about yuck!

Also, I thought Carnival's food was nothing to write home about while my friend thought it was the best. And to 'you get what you pay for', sometimes you don't. Our Regent cruise last summer also had some duds, i.e. over/under cooked, cold when should be hot/vice versa. However, where they excelled was the fresh cheese, great bread, interesting salads and other seafood and wine they would pick up when we were in ports that they would incorporate into the daily menus. A great change of pace each day and Yum!

Very Cute!

So if they come out of Gloucester Mass are they lost and need to find their way back to Nova Scotia?

It would not be unusual if NS lobster had a cousin or two in Massachusetts that they were visiting :)

To Our Aussie OP - There really is some wonderful food here in the US, but you have to be selective. DO NOT go to chain restaurants and DO your research for the local favorites. I've had some of my most memorable meals here in the US. But then, anytime I'm not working and enjoying myself is memorable!! I went on the Disney Fantasy last September and I (and my child) had a great time. Food - meh. But that didn't dampen our time. Adjust your expectations and you will have a marvelous time!!

Archived