So why do you like/not like about the food?

jinxyoz

I disagree re: Princess Buffet (and MDR) and NCL Buffet (and to a lesser extent MDR). I mean I would give NCL Dawn Lido buffet a 4 and Caribbean Princess an 8.5. I think that goes to show that variations between ships among lines are also important considerations.

Hang on- thinking of the Dawn's children's buffet section with the congealing spaghetti sauce and scary Mac and Cheese- I'm changing it to a 3.

Maybe the items were sitting out for a long time!!!!!!!!

I said in my recent Epic review that the food was "bland, boring, and repetitive". The food was cooked well and served correctly but:

- the breakfast menu in the MDR is the same every day

- the lunch menu is almost the same every day

- the two soup offerings were the same every day

- at dinner, one side of the menu is the same every day

- grilled chicken breast is a boring offering!

- as is the grilled steak offering

- there was a definite lack of spice and "cuisine".

Totally agree. Food was cooked nicely and well presented but BORING. DH tried the jerked pork chop and although it was a nice chop, the jerk spice was missing.

Grilled steak and grilled chicken breast (yawn) seem to be the order of the day but maybe that is what most folks want.

If you are looking for more interesting flavours, you can find some at the buffet but our cruise was sold out and the buffet was not the place for a pleasant evening meal.

Sorry if this was already answered. I didn't read through every posting in this thread. Just curious, does every NCL ship have the same type of restaurants? What can I expect on the Breakaway (in terms of types of cuisine in specialty restaurants (other than the Habachi)? ie: Italian, Spanish, Deli...

I disagree re: Princess Buffet (and MDR) and NCL Buffet (and to a lesser extent MDR). I mean I would give NCL Dawn Lido buffet a 4 and Caribbean Princess an 8.5. I think that goes to show that variations between ships among lines are also important considerations.

Hang on- thinking of the Dawn's children's buffet section with the congealing spaghetti sauce and scary Mac and Cheese- I'm changing it to a 3.

Just a question. Was the great Princess food on Emerald and /or Ruby. The two time we were on Emerald Princess the food was great much better than the food of most of the other cruise line that I have been on. And equal to Home Lines food. Emerald Princess food much better than Azamara's food by far.

We will take our first NCL cruise this fall and I am sure the food on Dawn will be great. I am looking forward to my NCL cruise very much.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, the fact that I don't have to cook, serve and wash dishes for the duration of the cruise, is all I need.

I'm with Barb. At home, I'm the chief cook and bottle washer, so having food served to me without having to clean up afterward is like heaven. If the food happens to be delicious, it's a bonus!

Each trip to the states I have found it extremely difficult to eat anything healthy that isn't way over processed. For example...the cheese is processed, the eggs are powdered, the coffee mostly filtered, layers of dressing and sauce on everything and anything...and the list goes on.

It is a big shock for Australians who travel to the US to find decent meals while travelling, though after 4 times I'm used it to now and know some of the places to avoid.

Some really good comments, so thanks to those that have replied. Some of the dishes people are mentioning I have no idea what they are or what they taste like however.

I agree that many places in the US serve high fat, over-processed foods. But if you have eaten in them, then you didn't do your homework. One word Zagat!! It's a restaurant guide and there are also many online resources for major cities in the US.

OK, so I live in NYC and there are thousands and thousands of restaurants, vegan, organic, gourmet, ethnic, and so many run by well know chefs. I suppose you have to think like a local and not a tourist and do some research. Run from anything touristy if you want good food. Get OUT of TIMES SQUARE. THere are many great, reasonable restaurants in every major city if you look.

When I go to Europe, I research the best local places that have fabulous reviews. In most of these restaurants, the waiters don't speak English but we get by. (forget Paris, everything in Paris is delicious) And, you may not want to hear this but sometimes you get what you pay for.

Try some research before your next trip. You could be pleasantly surprised.

First, to our Aussie friend: I think I understand your thoughts about the bad food choices. If you go to a US tourist destination, it's all the same chains. If you want something unique and uses non-Sysco ingredients, you have to search and go outside the tourist area most of the time. I think of my last trip to Honolulu - the big restaurants that the tourists were queueing up for were The Cheesecake Factory (where one entree should be shared by 4 people, not 1), Jimmy Buffett's, and some of the other chains I can't remember. I walked 1 block behind the main drag and found some wonderful non-chain, fresh-made-in-front-of-you food. Walk a little further up the hill and I found the most amazing (but bad for you) cream cheese scones. We most of the time don't eat at those chains on the main drag in our hometowns. We know where all the little "locals" places are. The US is more chain-heavy than other places. That's probably why the Aussie thought we have powdered egg, processed cheese, all fried foods (ever see how that big steam-tray full of scrambled eggs is made???)

Second: when people say "3 star" "4 star" "5 star", just which rating system are we using??? Trip Advisor, maybe. But Michelin??? Anyone here been to a Michelin-starred place? I've been to one (Le Bernadin, in NYC, a 3 star) and will be at another (La Pergola, in Rome, a 3 star) in a month. NOTHING I've ever eaten on any cruise ship comes close to what I had for lunch at Le Bernadin. To me, MDR food is akin to putting lipstick on a pig. Sure, the dining room looks elegant, the white tablecloths, the waiters in white jackets. But, it's still mass-produced banquet food. I actually prefer the buffet - I can make my own salad, get some fruit, grab some of the Indian food. But, it's no better than going to my local diner.

Food must be subjective, as my opinions don't seem to match most posters on this board. I really liked the main dining room food, but didn't care for the buffet on the Epic. What was even stranger was the fact that Le Bistro wasn't that good, but I only had the escargot, duck, and some type of chocolate dessert. I ran into a few foods that were terrible, but I just sent them back (mushroom soup with 1 sliced mushroom and 3 T oregano, blueberry muffin with no blueberries and only 1/4 t blue/purple jam on the top, all coffee except what we made in our cabin, scrambled eggs poured from a carton and cooked to a slimey consistency, and the corned beef hash at O'Sheehans, which was rubbery). The meal at the Cirque show was awful. The other 95% of what I ate was very good and on par with Carnival, the only other cruise line I've tried.

To the Aussie that started this thread....I found grilled tomatoes on the breakfast buffet one morning. I hadn't seen those since my trip to Australia. They were good!

I'm with Barb. At home, I'm the chief cook and bottle washer, so having food served to me without having to clean up afterward is like heaven. If the food happens to be delicious, it's a bonus!

1000% with Barb and Savoy Truffle. :) (We need a "like" button.)

1000% with Barb and Savoy Truffle. :) (We need a "like" button.)

DITTO

Though I love to cook and my favorite room in our home is the kitchen (hub of our family). I like the break on vacation. True it's not my cooking, but we have never gone hungry. I love the new foods I get to try and if I don't like it they will bring me another choice :).

Also for the folks who travel to the states looking for healthy foods. Avoid the chains first off. Second check the area on line you will love it. We are north of Boston so for an example. If you come here you can go to the North End wonderful Italian foods. You want tourist area and fresh fish, you have the Union Oyster House. You want fresh fruits, cheeses, breads, you can grab these at one of several markets and sit at Columbus Park watch the boats and people and have a picnic lunch. I'm sure you have these options through out the tourist areas in the USA. Not enough room to add all we have found.

Enjoy life at the blink of an eye it can be to late.

Reading numerous reviews and comments about the quality of the food onboard the NCL ships.

So what is it you like or don't like about the food?

I am going on my first ever cruise in July and have no expectations. I am lucky to live in a country where I believe the quality of food is probably the best in the world. So as someone who travels a lot, I go in with no expectations whatsoever and if I have a great meal...terrific...if not...oh well.

Personally I feel the food in America is pretty bad for tourists. Cheap yes, good quality...no. Yes I'll probably got a serve for making that comment on a board with 95% Americans, but I notice a lot of the comments about the food being bad comes from American customers. So what are you comparing it to? Home cooked meals? Fast food? Vegas buffets?

Would love to hear the good and bad of the food choices on board as well as exactly what people are offered at the buffets etc.

Here is my take and what I used to tell people when I was still a travel Agent: If you are expecting 4 or 5 star dining you will be disappointed: if you are a Fridays type diner, you will be thrilled.

Buffets: mostly good, but like buffets period the food isn't always really hot or really cold, sorta room temp. One thing I love about the breakfast buffets: they actually have heated milk (cream) for the hot cereal. They have lox everyday and often eggs benedict. The Cesar salad served at lunch is outstanding. We never eat dinner at the buffet.

Main dining rooms: the food is good, servings small, which is ok, cause most of us eat way too much anyway and you can always ask for more. Some complain about the lack of variety, it beats the heck out of my as to why. The menu changed nightly, with about 3 or 4 selections plus the usual anytime, sirloin steak, salmon, or chicken breast. The choices for appetizers have gone down over the years.. OH, and we have learned, you can always ask for a baked potato and/or special veggies. Even if they are not on the menu ask, if they are available the wait staff will be glad to get them for you. Desserts are just so/so. My favorite for breakfast in the MDR is Eggs benedict.. We rarely eat lunch in the MDR but if we do I am content with a salad.. Dinner favorite is always beef stroganoff if they have it. Like most mass marketed ships, don't worry if you miss Lobster night, you really won't miss much.

Specialty dining rooms: always worth a try: On a 7 day cruise we will choose 2 or 3 specialty dining rooms and are more than willing to pay the extra few dollars; our favorites are Le Bistro and the Asian dining, regardless of which ship. Oh and the Brazilian steak house as well if they have one on the ship you choose.

I would say, overall the NCL food is acceptable, we never go hungry and rarely are disappointed but it isn't something you will rave about for years to come. I will add, my hobby is cooking, my major, in college was Foods and Nutrition. .

Hope this is some help, I know others have jumped in, but I haven't read the responses yet. ..

We have been on Princess twice, Ncl once. Princess food was by far the best. That being so we are on NCL Jewel soon, it's the itinerary that makes the cruise for us. The worst food ever was on Costa Pacifica, we will never cruise with them again, the whole experience was dreadful.

Boy does this show how subjective food is: we have been on all mass marketed lines and all more than once: the worst and most boing food we have had is on Princess. We are not food snobs, but will not cruise Princess again because of the lousy food. We never had a hot meal, (3 cruises) breakfast came in shifts with 1/2 of the table getting served 15 min after the rest and the toast arriving when we finished our breakfast. (more than once) Not to mention several nights dinner took 2 hours from start to finish because of service. My lobster in Sabatini's was uncooked. Not just mine, but we talked to a few others on the ship (our last cruise with them) who had the same experience. I could go on and on, but this is an Norwegian board, not a Princess one.

Specialty dining rooms: always worth a try: On a 7 day cruise we will choose 2 or 3 specialty dining rooms and are more than willing to pay the extra few dollars; our favorites are Le Bistro and the Asian dining, regardless of which ship. Oh and the Brazilian steak house as well if they have one on the ship you choose.

Thank you for this. We just had our first ever cruise on the RCL Allure of the Seas and ate in a Specialty Dining venue ever night except one. We LOVED the food, the service and the intimate atmosphere and determined that specialty dining is the only way we want to cruise. That said, we are considering a cruise on the Breakaway. Has anyone sailed both NCL and an Oasis Class ship and eaten in the specialty dining venues? I would really like to know how they compare. I have heard that the MDR foods are not as good on NCL,, but how about the Specialty? How do they compare? Thanks! This thread has given me a lot of insight.

Hey, the fact that I don't have to cook, serve and wash dishes for the duration of the cruise, is all I need.

I agree!!!!....And actually, I am usually also very happy with the food offerings and quality ;)

Was just got off the Gem Tuesday. I thought food was good but the desserts were awful. Tastless. But the pound cakes were very very good. Buffet was good but not enough places to sit. The seating should be bigger in the buffets. MDR were very good. We had a suite so we had access to Cagney's for Breakfast and Lunch and the food was good. We did one Specialty Reataurant LaCucina and I enjoyed the Zuppa soup and ceasor salad but we ordered the lobster fettuccine and it was awful. It was very seafood tasting and was very gritti. Husband said it was sand from the lobster. I don't know if that's true but sure tasted like that. I'm a big carb eater and I thought the beads were excellent. What I did not eat in desserts and ate in breads. Keep them bead baskets coming :D

We have been on Princess twice, Ncl once. Princess food was by far the best. That being so we are on NCL Jewel soon, it's the itinerary that makes the cruise for us. The worst food ever was on Costa Pacifica, we will never cruise with them again, the whole experience was dreadful.

I truly prefer NCL food ( and we recently cruised Princess.). NCL buffet was much better. Speciality restaurants were about equal, and good. The "old" Princess food was better we thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've always done pretty well with the food and I am probably one of the world's pickiest eaters in general, complicated by the fact that I am a vegetarian and allergic to shellfish so also kind of a paranoid eater too.

I ate too many black bean burgers in the MDR for lunch but I really enjoyed all but one dinner entree. I wasn't wild about the vegetable calzone (I tried it on my first cruise on the POA) so we skipped that night on our most recent cruise on the Epic.

There was a broccoli soup I loved and ordered almost every night.

But I am strange. Just the thought of mayonnaise makes my stomach turn, cheesecake repulses me etc etc etc.

I truly prefer NCL food ( and we recently cruised Princess.). NCL buffet was much better. Speciality restaurants were about equal, and good. The "old" Princess food was better we thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I thought it was me. We have been on 7 cruises with Princess which 5 were 2 plus weeks (2 Alaska trips were 1 week on board). Was thinking the food has become boring even with 2 menu changes over the years. Never went hungry due to choices of where to eat, but DULL. Carnival food was my husband and kids favorite so far :). We are looking forward to seeing what NCL has to offer. I have seen video of the buffet and it does look better than the others. I will see this soon enough. We have done 1 other trip Boston-Bermuda RT, but odd don't remember the buffet. Hated the Chocolate Buffet on deck, that I remember. We saw plate after plate of food in the halls throughout the evening gross.

Less than a month to go :D.

We find the food in the specialty restaurants on NCL to be excellent. In particular, we like the French and Brazilian Steak house. Also, the Italian is not bad at all.

The MDR food can be excellent and can be so so. I like fish, but find that frequently, when I order fish in the MDR that it is overcooked. On the other hand the lamb and chicken dishes are generally good. Desserts are not NCL's best.

The buffet is actually pretty good, but lacks variety.

Celebrity has a great pizza stand in its buffet as well as great eggs benedict for breakfast. NCL doesn't have either.

Was just got off the Gem Tuesday. I thought food was good but the desserts were awful. Tastless. But the pound cakes were very very good. Buffet was good but not enough places to sit. The seating should be bigger in the buffets. MDR were very good. We had a suite so we had access to Cagney's for Breakfast and Lunch and the food was good. We did one Specialty Reataurant LaCucina and I enjoyed the Zuppa soup and ceasor salad but we ordered the lobster fettuccine and it was awful. It was very seafood tasting and was very gritti. Husband said it was sand from the lobster. I don't know if that's true but sure tasted like that. I'm a big carb eater and I thought the beads were excellent. What I did not eat in desserts and ate in breads. Keep them bead baskets coming :D

Yuk sand in the lobster :eek: Too bad it was not Maine lobster. Maine lobster does not have sand in it.

Celebrity has a great pizza stand in its buffet as well as great eggs benedict for breakfast. NCL doesn't have either.

Really? They must have done away with both of them - I had eggs benedict every day on our last NCL cruise 2 years ago. I thought the buffet was excellent - so much variety!

I will need to find these pretzel rolls I hear people posting about. I have done two NCL cruises and never saw or had these rolls. Though the first cruise I never went into the buffet except during the chocolate buffet.

Second cruise I think we did more dining in the MDR and Blue Lagoon and at that time the Tex Mex.

Archived