Did we get noisy rooms? Statendam 846 and 842

Amy5000

Hi all. I'm planning a trip to Alaska on the Statendam this summer and we have rooms next to each other. (Rooms 842, 844, an 846). I doubt I could change them if I wanted to but I figured I'd ask this knowledgeable crowd: Will these be noisy rooms? At least with advance notice maybe I could pack ear plugs.

Thanks in advance. Amy

Hi Amy,

I can't see why these rooms should be noisy. Your always going to get a hum, but that usually puts you to sleep. We love the Statendam. Have a super cruise.

Thanks Nena. My mom just made a comment last week about not getting us too close to the "engine room" b/c of the noise. Suddenly having "Aft" on the lowest deck made me wonder. Probably just coming up with something else too plan. :-)

I have no idea if they are 'noisy' rooms or not but ear plugs don't weigh much or take much room so pack them, just in case. ;)

Hope they are quiet rooms and you have wonderful cruise. :)

Even if you don't get engine noise, you are likely to hear loud thrusters and feel strong vibrations during early morning dockings. You may also hear winches paying out lines from the white space area just aft of you.

Edited by jtl513

Amy,

We had similar rooms once on Maasdam - A deck aft. We got noise in the morning when the ship docked - from the thrusters - but we needed to be up and about anyway for our port excursions.

At night, there was a vibration from the engines. But got used to it after about two days.

That was my first cruise and I wasn't used to the motions and noises. Now, I know that is just "ship" and I sleep like a baby in those HAL beds.

Mid ship or forward is quieter, but you will still feel the thrusters when docking on any of the lower decks. Doesn't hurt to ask for a change in rooms. After final payment, they may be able to move you for no additional fees if prices are going down for a flash or final sale.

Doesn't hurt to ask for a change in rooms.
Since the OP has 3 adjacent rooms it would be difficult to change all 3 together. Maybe one room if somebody is still having a difficult time after a few days.

Noise can be relative to the individual. Yes some cabins have more engine/thruster/anchor noise than others, but None of these have bothered me, while some might complain bitterly.

I remember on one long cruise a couple of serious cruisers (read that many days per year) had a Suite that had some sort of creaky noise in the ceiling. They constantly complained to ship folks but there were no available (read that acceptable) cabins to transfer into. Finally at one port folks got off and my friends were moved into an other cabin. They were very happy campers. THEN, interestingly there was competition for their noisy cabin and almost a bidding war erupted. Well, the folks who "won" the cabin (extra payment needed) were so happy and kept saying that the noise did not bother them in the least. Everyone was happy in the end, but not for awhile. Things like noise are so relative to the individuals (as is food).

• 6 years later...
18 minutes ago, Hainie35 said:

On the Nieuw Statendam now.. cabins on level one near the front of the ship are exceptionally noisey. There is a vibration and thumping noise from the bands above.  No sleeping until late at night.

Please note that this is an old thread and is about the MS Statendam which left the Holland America fleet in 2015.

5 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Please note that this is an old thread and is about the MS Statendam which left the Holland America fleet in 2015.

A good example of why inactive threads this old should be closed (as on Trip Advisor).