Celebrity New York

mike x ftc

Help!! I'm looking at a transatlantic on the Eclipse that does an overnight in New York. I have searched the boards but there is a lot about arriving and leaving by car, taxi etc, however, I just need to know where the ship stops, how do you get into Manhattan and back and how much would that cost??

Would it be cheeky to ask what the weather is like in November in New York and also in the Bermuda??

Thanks

Celebrity normally uses the cruise terminal in Bayonne.

I would suspect that they(Celebrity) will run a shuttle to the light rail station fairly close by. You take the light rail to a connection into Manhattan....cost about $5.00 There will be cabs at the terminal and they charge about $60 to go into Manhattan. NY Yellow cabs are not required to take you to the Bayonne cruise terminal and if they agree to expect to pay about $100. Its cheaper to use a car service coming back that will charge about $60.

From what I'm seeing at usually reliable online cruise/travel agency sources, it does appear that the Eclipse will dock at Manhattan rather than at Bayonne when she calls at New York in November 2014. That date is a long way off, though, and pier assignments are subject to change.

If she does dock in Manhattan, Eclipse's passengers will have a far easier time than they would if the ship were to dock at Celebrity's standard terminal in Bayonne. Just walk off the ship, and you're in Manhattan. From the pier (Pier 88 or 90, both part of what's now designated the Manhattan Passenger Ship Terminal), it's about a 15-minute walk to midtown. Taxis are readily available at the pier; or just cross 12th Avenue when you exit the pier and hail a cab from there. Once you're in the heart of midtown Manhattan, you can easily get around on foot and/or by bus or subway.

For photos of the piers and their location relative to the heart of Manhattan, see

http://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/

If the Eclipse called at Bermuda en route from Southampton to New York, rather than after she departs New York en route to Miami, I'd be tempted to book this crossing myself and simply disembark in NYC. ;)

It's always dangerous to predict the weather--especially more than a year and a half in advance! But in general, don't be surprised to find the weather in New York all that much different from the weather in Portsmouth at that time of year: gray, damp, chilly.

as it would happen the Eclipse is in port today in Manhattan at pier 90 at 50th street. You can get around Manhattan easily by cab, public transit(bus or Subway or even walk...see the threads below about a NY pass

Subways are a four to five block long walk to the nearest station and those are long city blocks, and public buses are not that frequent. Not great when you are dragging luggage. Just go to the street on 12th Avenue and hail a yellow cab. They come often.

Subways are a four to five block long walk to the nearest station and those are long city blocks, and public buses are not that frequent. Not great when you are dragging luggage. Just go to the street on 12th Avenue and hail a yellow cab. They come often.

The ship they are on is there overnight. No luggage.

The areas on 12th, 11th and 10th Avenues are a bit desserted by high volume pedestrian traffic, although there is a lot of auto and truck traffic. There are a lot of warehouses, garages and parking lots there. Some high rise residential buildings along West 42nd Street. You start hitting the areas with restaurants on 9th Avenue and east of there. I believe the nearest subway stations is on 50th Street and 8th Avenue and West 42nd Street and 8th Avenue. Rockefeller Center is on 48th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues, and Times Square is at West 42nd Street and Broadway. Happy walking.

Mike, type in the pier address to google maps. You should get a good idea of the area that way.

Excellent, thank you, worked at treat!! I have stayed at the Milford Plaza before which I could see on the map was not far away.

Thanks very much.

We stopped in Bermuda on Nov 1st a few years ago and were told that the weather was "typical." Mostly sunny, breezy and about 20 C. Many of the private "tourist" water sport providers were shuttered. Cycles were available, and shops at the Dockyard were open.

We stopped in Bermuda on Nov 1st a few years ago and were told that the weather was "typical." Mostly sunny, breezy and about 20 C. Many of the private "tourist" water sport providers were shuttered. Cycles were available, and shops at the Dockyard were open.

That's great to know thank you. May not sound good to some but from a cold wet UK it sounds lovely:)

Archived